Idea Discussions for the Next QoL Update

Now that Webber's Rework is finally here and we're slowly headed towards a new QoL update in the foreseeable future (will it be the second August QoL? we shall see, they might make August a traditional month of Quality of Life), I thought I should share my own list of QoL ideas. I didn't add any Webber tweaks as his refresh is too fresh and there might be fixes and changes on the way already. Please feel free to add your opinions on them or even add in your own suggestions:

> Eraser: A single use tool, nemesis of feather pencil. Erases a single writing/drawing on a signpost, directional sign or minisign. Can also be used on Blueprints, Figure Sketches and Adverts to turn them into Papyrus. Natural rubber can be harvested from many plants thus the recipe could be something like: 
Corn + Hound Tooth + Salt

> Turning cookbook into a personal cookbook on the cartography desk, saving the recipes it had at the time of transformation and making it available to be read by other players. It wouldn't save the recipes on the cookbooks of the readers, it'd just allow them to see them. 
I always see players disappointed with the cookbook as they initially expect to find new recipes or read another person's recipes to get an idea. As it stands, cookbook isn't much of a help to players unfamiliar with all recipes as it's mostly a completionist's record. This'd add further value and recognition to players with filled cookbooks.

Personal Cookbook- "__Someone's__ Cookbook" (Like "Grim's Cookbook"; It'd have a different color and an icon, perhaps the crafting character's face)
Cook Book + 1 Feather Pencil + 2 Silk

Could be expanded to Gardeneer's field notes aswell to share one's plant registry record and challenge others in record produce weights:
Plant Journal- "Someone's Plant Journal" (i.e. "Lakhnish Monster's Plant Journal", could look like a green cookbook with a leaf icon in the middle)
Gardeneer hat + 1 Papyrus + 1 Feather Pencil

1426663028_OtherAbigails.png.50012bc630bd49f93e5b2268dc1a20b6.png> More Abigail Skins. Wilson and Webber got beard variations for all their skins in previous QoL updates. Abigail currently has 5 variations for Wendy's 11 skins. Why not complete the set of the most popular DST character with more Abby skins. She lacks ones for Snowfallen, Costume, Gladiator, Victorian, Hollowed Nights and Magmatic.

> Winona tweaks:

Trusty tape repairing burnt structures. Makes Winona even more desirable to have around to fix things and adding a counter to wildfires and sneaky griefers. 1301218512_winonagenerator.thumb.png.e188a1d424c85153fe5b20ca2087a609.pngPerhaps make it so that only Winona can fix objects in order to ease the complaints about her not having many abilities that only she herself can perform.

Giant crop generator. "Winona's Plantarator" From the concept art for nitre generators, she can get a new generator that harvests the energy from a single socketed giant plant until it spoils. Can only power one machine. Socketed crop would spoil faster when powering a machine. We don't have a sufficiently long lasting generator and this is very hurtful on spotlights. Would add another use to giant plants and make spotlights much more useful.

Spotlights turning on and off depending on time of day. They are very weak right now and consume a considerable amount of power even from 3 gem socketed GEMerators. It wouldn't be unbalanced at all since there already so many more convenient sources of light. Especially nitre generators already consume a good amount of energy even when not powering anything.

> Enlightened Bernie: Make Bearnie transform when Willow is highly enlightened. Lunar energy causes all sorts of transformations already, no need to cut Willow's bernie perk completely useless in lunar areas or during moonstorm nights while other characters with companions are completely unaffected. Could even serve as a neat little buff, attracting the gestalts.

> Balloon Saddle for Wes: Wes' rework was great and exciting but he lacks more utility balloons. It'd be a fun addition to give him a balloon saddle to ride a beefalo anytime anywhere that pops upon the first shakeoff. This saddle would provide no speed boost, making the other saddles still superior. We haven't had a new saddle for ages and it'd be a nice little addition to go with the beefalo focus we had this year on the Year of the Beefalo.

> Merm Tweaks: Merms should get individual names upon the crowning of a Merm King to distinguish them easier. It'd also be great if a solution was found to merms that get lost around the map if it's not the intended design, such as Merms with no loyalty despawning after being away for some time from their craftsmerm houses. Merm King could also use a slower hunger drain as if using an ethernal hunger belt + funcap since currently it's such a chore to keep him alive as many Wurt players prefer starving the incumbent king and crowning a new one asap. 

> Refining Desert Stones for an Orange Gem: 10 desert stones could make one orange gem. Would make orange gems reasonably obtainable through Antlion and add an extra incentive to appease her, while making Lazy Deserter somehow self sustainable through oasis quests. Blueprint for the refine recipe for orange gems could be dropped from Antlion or be yet another Oasis fishing possibility to encourage oasis fishing.
Also refuelable Lazy forager, but perhaps through desert stones instead of nightmare fuel to give them more uses. Or both could work.

> Grass Tufts, Sapplings, Reeds, Birchnuts and Cactus Flowers found in Sunken Treasures with a Hammer/Splendid Hoe. Would be very beneficial to make these resources reneveable in some form. In the long running public worlds, it's easy to see most reeds griefed, sapplings and tufts burned or geko-ified. From a game design perspective Cactus Flowers must also have an alternative revewability as they are required to complete pearl's quest- currently a griefer can halt the story progression of a server forever by burning all cacti. It could have 15% chance and in order to accomodate for the new Treasure Chest, the other treasure chances could be tweaked as 25%, 25% 15%, 10% and 10% (most common three chest types giving up 5% chance each).

> Repopulating Lunar creatures: Saladmanders are strictly endangered without the use of Hallowed Nights only Lunar Essence. With the Celestial Champion fight, they are in even more danger. Carrats have limited availability through Grotto Earthquakes. Carrats should be added to world regrowth while saladmanders should have a repopulation mechanic like Volt Goats, Mush Gnomes or Dust Moths. 
Additionally, giant Dragonfruits and Carrots can be made incubateable near hot springs. Upon 3 days of incubation, a saladmander would break out from the giant dragonfruit and 1-3 carrats would break out from a giant carrot. 
As a throwback to the Year of the Carrat, Pet Carrat as a critter with a colored tail could be made available from Critters' Den, with clean sweeper switching the tail color and style on demand. Recipe could use a Carrat and a Ratatouille.

> Tillweed salve recipe tweak: Too expensive, too insignificant, too fragile. Another, much more common weed, the Forget me Lots, can be used individually for making powerful tea while four of this rare weed needs four flower petals and a charcoal to get one perisheable healing item that heals 8 HP and provide 20 HP regen during the following minute. I think the crafting recipe should be divided by four, with one being able to be made with a single tillweed and a petal. Perishing time should also be removed as it defeats the purpose of healing items and is outmatched by most of the healing foods. Even the HP regen can be raised up to 40 to make it actually useful. Crafting this item requires more dedication than Healing Salve or Honey Poultice; it should be at least en par with them if not better.

> Crockpot Recipe Tweaks: Unlike some, I think most crock pot dishes are in an okay position but there are a few that are completely nonesensical or practically bugged, falling into obscurity:

Ceviche: Has been broken since Hook Line & Inker, where its fish value wasn't converted properly. When first added through Warly Rework, it used to require two freshwater fishes, meaning 1.0 fish value was enough, making it cookeable using only small fish variants, working as a Summer/Oasis food with its niche cooldown effect. Now it requires 2.0 fish value, making absolutely no sense for such abysmal 20 HP 25 Hunger 5 Sanity stats. Considering the cooldown effect too, stats are fine; like a summer version of Kaboobs but the recipe must change; should at least be reverted back to 1.0 fish value as originally intended when added or better make it cookeable with any fish value (≥0.25). Thus it would make sense as a niche food for its side effect, cookeable with the fauna found in the oasis/mainland as well as not interfearing with other recipes like fishsticks since sticks are prohibited from Ceviche Recipe.

Fish Tacos: Recipe is more advanced than fish and sticks, but every single stat save for cooking time is either the same or worse with only 20 HP instead of 40 and 6 days of spoilage instead of 10. For this recipe to make sense, I think it could be turned into a fair fish based hunger recipe considering the general role of corn as a hunger crop. Thus, giving it the same hunger stat as meatballs: 62.5 while keeping the healing at 20 and sanity restoration at 5 would make a nice seafood hunger option besides Warly's Moqueca. It makes thematical sense too considering the calories of tacos.

Seafood Gumbo: Impossible to make on the surface due to Surf and Turf, Stuffed Fishheads and Ceviche, and in the underground it makes absolutely no sense to make over surf and turf with its inferior stats and harder to make recipe. What I suggest is that its priority should be bumped up, all the way to the Surf and Turf's 30 or even 35. Thus, it'd be the natural result of having too much (>2.0)fish in the crock pot. It makes sense that a dish cooked purely with too many fish would make Seafood Gumbo than Surf and Turf which is a dish that traditionally puts fish and red meat together.

Stuffed Eggplants: I think it's in an acceptable state unlike the other three I mentioned but since it takes a lot of dislike, and in since eggplants are completely outclassed by potatoes in every area despite their same plant behavior, this would be my take on tweaking it. Its hunger restoration should be brought up to the meatball levels of 62.5, giving it the niche of well hunger restoring vegetarian friendly dish. To compansate, its vegetable requirement could be bumped up from 0.5 to 1.5.

Turkey Dinner: Is it intended design that it cannot be made with cooked drumsticks? It feels like a mistake in the code. Most other foods accept the cooked variants of their ingredients and I don't see why Turkey dinner wouldn't. If it is an oversight, cooked drumsticks should be able to make it too, that's all.

Ashura.jpg.691e00890e681315d74204ad5a6d3f1e.jpg> New Crock Pot recipes: Infinite realm of expansion as usual and people come up with great suggestions all the time; Banana Split and Carrot Cake being two that I like. I'll only restate one suggestion of mine here, finally giving Pomegrenates their own recipe: Ashura. It would take a pomegrenate, a birchnut and a honey, restoring 40 HP, 25 Hunger and 15 Sanity, mixing up the health and sanity restorative properties of its ingredients and a long spoilage timer.

> Spring and Summer starting items should be Switched. Last QoL update added seasonal stating items to ease survivors' lives when they start in non-Autumn seasons. However as I explained in another post of mine, spring's Straw Hat and Summer's Pretty Parasol don't work well in their respective seasons and it would be a lot better if they were switched around.

> Pocket scale being able to weigh giant crops. Would give the pocket scale a new use and aleviate the inconvenience of having to try every single giant crop on a produce scale. Crops weighed with the pocket scale wouldn't be registered to the plant registry if not placed on the produce scale, it'd just give an idea to which crop should be placed on it.

> Moonrock Hammer: Hammer has no luxurious gold version and it makes sense since it's made with rocks instead of flint. But With RWYS giant vegetables are always demanding more hammering as well as the varity of other hammering needs such as the immense resource sink that is hammering down the remains of a moonrock wall, this tool could really use a Luxury version. I think it could be a decent Lunar recipe since the lunar tab could always use more recipes and what's more durable than regular rocks would be good old moonrocks rather than gold, giving them a new use and a sick lunar aestetic while giving us a new useful tool.

> Marble Walls: A new use for marbles, a new kind of sturdy inflammable wall. No reason why marble can't be used to make walls. Since the recipe for marble armor was halved in May QoL, excess marble accumulates more often than not.

1349226129_GlommerStatueHead.png.3c2e239fcd1d01223ffa64836fde2d0e.png> Glommer Statue Head: Should be a new but unique sculpture at the sculpting desk. Sketch would be dropped from mining the glommer's statue and then become available from tumbleweeds upon the initial mining of the statue. It'd be a short glommer sculpture made with glommer's wings, functioning as a regular statue otherwise but with the ability to be carried to a broken Glommer's Statue and repair it like shadow figures; making the glommer's statue repairable from accidental minings or griefings to look pleasant again.

Figure sketches for the other two stages of the Celestial Champion is also an occasionally brought up suggestion and with the great designs for each stage, it would be a nice aestetic addition. Beating Celestial champion could drop the sketch for any phase at random to give an extra collectable incentive to do the fight more times, a little bit like Toadstoll and his Funcaps.

1467821145_AncientRefurbisher.png.195c1c74163ddacd7276990e766e6fc3.png

> Ancient Refurbisher: My suggestion for a Green Moonlens structure: an all purpose recycling bin that would accept anything and break them down to their one single basic component if there is one. More complex items such as moonlenses would return a moonrock while basic items like stingers and hound teeth would simply dissolve- or occasionally return compost. (Art by BoySyrup)

> Deluxe Salt Lick: Now that actual salt mineral is in the game, we could use a "deluxe" version of salt lick with more capabilities and longer durability. Later in game with many beefalo tamers in the base or even if one animal licking them, nitre salt licks are depleted too quickly and become a chore to take care of, as well as not addressing new needs of Beefalo tamers after Year of the Beefalo. If you don't take the beefalo bell on you at all times, it can get confusing to differentiate between bells and decide where to put, and many tamers use the Beefalo Grooming Station as a pseudo parking spot as it keeps beefalos idle much more effective than salt lick. The Luxury salt lick (Or Salty Saltlick) can address all these problems, using three or four boards and four salt crystals. It could last for 60 days (4 times the duration), keep beefalos much more closer to it, almost at grooming station hitching distance, and have four slots to insert beefalo bells in it, which would also appear visually on its wooden base.

Another QoL improvement regarding Salt Licks would be making them replenishable with Nitre and Salt. One nitre could replenish it by one stage worth of licking while one salt crystal would replenish it fully. If added, this mechanic would also apply to the deluxe salt lick.

> Limited turfs being made craftable through Terra Firma Tamper. Specifically the Archives' Ancient Stonework turf is highly requested for a good reason. Crafting recipe could demand a thulecite fragment and moonrock.

Some other great suggestions from forums that go a bit further than Quality of Life but I feel like restating them for a slim chance to be recognized for a QoL or Future content updates:

Bombegrenades.png.50e41d54ebc14ddf210bda9f8cc3c521.png> Pomegrenades (by BoySyrup): an ingenious new use for pomegrenates and gunpowder as a long ranged explosive. While it would retain the destructive properties of the gunpowder, it'd make them a medium range instant use explosive weaponry thrown in an arc like seedshells. Making 2 pomegranates 2 ropes and one gunpowder produce two of these 100 dmg explosives sounds fitting to me.

1832124822_Glmmer.thumb.png.b47f0a05d1ade0045b702befc43e7272.png
> Glōmmer (by Candy Organs): Lunar counterpart of Glommer. Would spawn from its statue setpiece in the lunar island every new moon upon releasing it initially by mining it and placing a lunetree blossom to its altar. It'd have the negative version of the sanity aura of Glommer but would drop its lightbulb eyes rather than goop, giving an additional incentive to visiting Lunar island.

1295728390_BananaDucks(2).thumb.jpg.75ff7670dfe0436f1ab33b875682fc9f.jpg> Banana Ducks (by Superwolfkid): A new neutral plant-animal hybrid, fusing ducks and cave bananas. Could naturally hang around the large vitreoasis in the Lunar Grotto but could also come up to surface Swimming near the Lunar Island around new moon as it seeks more lunar energy from the surface when it weakens in the caves due to approaching new moon.

And lastly, these two amazing item mods should be implemented into the game, they are so fitting in my opinion:

128653542_CrowsNest.thumb.png.ebd60b795a3cde99d20516a92d2932f2.png> Crow's Nest (by Hornet & Quartzbeam): a new mast item made with boards and a crow. Very fitting since crows have an additional importance in the game due to Midsommar Cawniv al. Would alert the players about the first entity in the direction of the mast out of players' sight like seastacks, salt, seaweed, land, crab king, fish shoals and bottles. 

mod_publish_preview.gif.2b0e7b8b92c398b9e6cc6890e3ba2a5e.gif> Lightbug Cage (by Gleenus & Catherine): a great use made for the Yellow Moonlens. It'd turn it into a lightbug cage where a lightbug can be stored within it, losing hunger much slower than in inventory. This could be used as a semi permanent light source and making a docking point for lightbugs brought from caves as they'd circle around the structure.

2 minutes ago, Gabovisk said:

Do you think a machine to turn goat milk into butter is a good idea?

Yea, sounds like a great idea. There is no reliable & consistent way of obtaining butter right now, which locks us out of three recipes. Electric milk already isn't too plentiful so I don't see any harm in adding a milk-butter transformation device that may require some time to pass to transform the socketed milk, in the same principle as drying racks.

14 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Enlightened Bernie: Make Bearnie transform when Willow is highly enlightened. Lunar energy causes all sorts of transformations already, no need to cut Willow's bernie perk completely useless in lunar areas or during moonstorm nights while other characters with companions are completely unaffected. Could even serve as a neat little buff, attracting the gestalts.

Robo Bernie163403343_WillowtakesuseofWinonastools.thumb.png.d08772c5f325a3fa333cc3fa359e322f.png

15 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Also refuelable Lazy forager, but perhaps through desert stones instead of nightmare fuel to give them more uses. Or both could work.

this. please

i currently play with a mod where one nightmare fuel equals one charge to the lazy explorer. it takes 20 nightmare fuel to refuel the lazy explorerer completely and its pretty fun

17 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

> Limited turfs being made craftable through Terra Firma Tamper.

also ruins turf? would love to be able to make ruins turf

2 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

W... why mine glommer buddy's statue? :(

For an actual QoL Change though, I'd want double click hold for cooking, like we have with crafting already.

well it usually gets mined one way or another and a way to fix it might go a long way.

But, in order not to encourage mining the statue or killing Glommer Buddy, the sketch could always be available from tumbleweeds and the figurehead can be made without using glommer's wings, just with rocks and statue material. Still, an added use for glommy wings someday is desirable.

Another thing I'd like to see it being able to choose what skin you want for starting items. (Battle helm/Spear, Pinetree Pioneer Hat, Abigail's Flower, etc.) For wilson and Webber it follows their skins, so maybe it could for Walter/Wig/Wendy?

Spoiler
27 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

(Like "Grim's Cookbook"

Leonardo DiCaprio Pointing Meme Is All of Us Right Now | The Mary Sue

24 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

For an actual QoL Change though, I'd want double click hold for cooking, like we have with crafting already.

Haha, it's actually in the game. You should just click ONCE and hold.

I want a special button to mount/dismount beefalo, it's comfortable.

Another idea is that characters can help each other carry heavy items. 

You know how in the beginning of the EotS trailer, Winona and Wilson both were carrying the last altar and placed it in the lunar fissure? Well, maybe that could be a feature implemented in-game.

Characters should still be able to carry heavy items on their back when alone, but if the weight is shared among 2 players, then the speed penalty could be lessened. For instance, if the single encumbered player speed penalty is -90%, then the 2-player-item system’s speed penalty could be something like -50% instead.

21 minutes ago, Grim the said:

When you start a game, your beard skin is the same as your head skin.

If they do add other Abigail skins, they can make it so that you start with the corresponding abigail flower aswell. If they don't wanna give an extra button on the character select screen they can apply the same principle to Walter's Pioneer hats, Willow and Wigfrid's Battle gear too like Contender and Winged Victory Wigfrids starting with their own battle Gear skins. But less collections they have the special skins in, weirder it gets.

Since Walter always has a pioneer hat for each of his collections, I don't see the harm in applying it to him ASAP.

12 minutes ago, fierysage1 said:

Characters should still be able to carry heavy items on their back when alone, but if the weight is shared among 2 players, then the speed penalty could be lessened. For instance, if the single encumbered player speed penalty is -90%, then the 2-player-item system’s speed penalty could be something like -50% instead.

this is a really neat idea!!

i wonder how it would work for characters with movement modifiers (wx, wormwood, wolfgang) because those characters can actually move statues around faster (not by much, but there's a noticeable difference)

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

> Spring and Summer starting items should be Switched. Last QoL update added seasonal stating items to ease survivors' lives when they start in non-Autumn seasons. However as I explained in another post of mine, spring's Straw Hat and Summer's Pretty Parasol don't work well in their respective seasons and it would be a lot better if they were switched around..

grass already pointed out in that thread that the parasol is objectively better than the straw hat for summer because your example of straw hat + whirly fan doesn't actually exist, the whirly fan provides no added benefit when combined with insulation clothing

Add Spider Queen and Treeguard their own statue scetch.

Let Wurt sleep in broken houses at swamp. I mean, it makes sence even more than Webber being able to sleep in spider dens.

Winona's tapes can now repair walls and some non-magic survival gear. (Gathering tools, spear, DF armor, marble armor etc)

Add option to rotate characters in menu, so you can see how skins looks in every direction.

Make catcoon dens renewable in fall season, via hunt at deciduos biom

Add sculpters made of wood. 

After chopping 3-7 trees, Woodie restores 10-15 sanity. Both Woodie and Lucy REALLY enjoy their lumberjack thing, so why not? We already have Walter who ejoys staying near trees, therefore receiving sanity aura. 

8 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

i wonder how it would work for characters with movement modifiers (wx, wormwood, wolfgang) because those characters can actually move statues around faster (not by much, but there's a noticeable difference)

They could include an algorithm where it takes the average speeds of the two players and decreases said average by 50%. 

In that way, the speed buff would still apply.

33 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

grass already pointed out in that thread that the parasol is objectively better than the straw hat for summer because your example of straw hat + whirly fan doesn't actually exist, the whirly fan provides no added benefit when combined with insulation clothing

I don't agree with the "Objectively better" argument at all. Whirly fan and straw hat don't have to be functional together, they don't conflict for the same slot. There is an argument to be made about Parasol providing a few more seconds to the initial overheating, which isn't bad but it still is the weaker item in my eyes, lasting only 1.6 days and using more commonly available items. Having it on Spring would make it last longer and be more impactful. If you start with a straw hat in summer, you only need to collect six flowers to craft a parasol whereas starting with a parasol, you have to look for 6 grass (eight considering the grass cost of making a torch), in the season where grass tufts are withered mind you. 

"whirly fan provides no added benefit when combined with insulation clothing"

That part is also incorrect because besides the cooling effect, whirly fan provides 60 summer insulation while spinning. Walking with a whirly fan while wearing the Straw hat amounts to Pretty Parasol's 120 insulation and for much longer; as long as Straw Hat's durability, almost 3 times the parasol's. 

Circumstances around Parasol's 1.6 days duration and the limited options around mitigating overheating as opposed to freezing makes it incomparably weak compared to Winter's starting item: Earmuffs. Straw hat makes much more thematical sense with the same points of insulation and duration against the heat threat.

Even if you still think Parasol is better for summer, then fine, keep it for summer but also make it Spring's starting item as well. If for the sake of variety one season is to get a parasol and the other will get a straw hat, I still stand by my original points in that thread that Straw Hat is the more fitting item for summer and Pretty Parasol is the more fitting item for spring.

- Make Bull Kelps immune to fire 

- An option to make the characters order in the Item Collection not randomized

- Decorative taxidermied birds

- Increase the Marble drop ammount from Marble Trees 

- Make Moon Rock walls cheaper

- A libretto where to Wigfrid's battle songs and not take extra inventory space

- Lightning Rods catch Charged Glassy Rock

and in the case phelgm gets a use in the future

- Make naked mole bat burrows have a chance to drop phelgm

Archived