Idea Discussions for the Next QoL Update

Personally, I just want to see 4th sprites added to characters. There are so many asymmetrical skins, that only use 1 sprite for when they look sideways. It's kind of jarring to see Wendy's flower on one side of her head, only to turn around and see it's still on the side facing the camera. It's mainly something I want, but I'd still like to see it

2 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Add Spider Queen and Treeguard their own statue scetch.

Why spider queen and treeguard, but not Lord of the Fruit Flies? Also, how does that work for Poison Birch, Lumpy Treeguards, and Reanimated Skeletons? Should they get their own too?

1. Eraser. Great idea! Should be comparable in cost to the Quill, since it has the opposite effect and will be most used in conjunction. Just Corn + Salt is probably perfect.
  2. Cookbook. Totally agree this needs a rework. There's no way to systematically discover all recipes in the same way there is with crops, so I wonder if it might also be prudent to add in some hints at new recipes. Every new dish cooked gives you a hint for another one, something that allows players to systematically discover every recipe.
  3. Winona tweaks. Love the Giant Potato Generator! It might also be prudent to give more use to Trusty Tapes, such as Winona being able to repair her own weapons or armour. Her spotlights could also gain a "hot lamp" mode that allow them to be used to raise crops in the Caves. This would give Winona an expanded niche as an amazing cave baser.
  4. Merm tweaks. The biggest issue with Merms right now is the lack of a neutral variety for basing with a Wurt player. Webber's spiders can be freely combine in a base with other players as of his update, it's time for Wurt's Merms to get  a similar treatment. Perhaps just port the Fishermerm from Shipwrecked.
  5. Desert Stones. Not sure about this pathway, but I agree that Desert Stones need more uses. Might be prudent to give the Antlion fight a guaranteed or high chance Orange Gem upon repeats.
  6. Renewable Tufts. Agreed. It might also be prudent to add them to desolation regrowth. I'd love to see a Cactus-Treeguard that drops fresh Cactus plants. As for renewable Tufts & Saplings, this might be a good place to give Glommer an additional use. Plant Glommer's Goo in a hoed spot and there's a chance it will produce a fresh Tuft/Sapling.
  7. Lunar creatures. Love the suggestion of Giant Crops + Hot Springs. Farming is super fun right now, but it's easy to get too much food making further farming meaningless (in my solo world I have 10 undling wraps full of extra food and it keeps growing). Having additional uses for Giant Crops that are location dependent would be amazing.
  8. Recipe adjustments. I don't disagree with any of these changes. While it's good to have a simple hunger recipe like Meatballs for general use, it would also be great to have more incentives to look at alternatives. Especially since it is so easy to farm massive amounts of veggies, it's frustrating that almost all the best food is best gathered via foraging & spider farming. I would actually go an extra step and nerf Monster meat to only a meat value of .25, since it's such an easy resource to gather in abundance. This would also make fishing much more attractive earlier in a typical playthrough as the standard Fish Morsel would be better than Monster Meat.
  9. Pocket Scale. Totally agree. I would have one on hand regularly if there were more uses.
  10. Moonrock Hammer. Better call would be a Glass Hammer. This would make permanent Lunar Island basing longterm viable, provided you bring a handful of Grass Tufts. Alternatively have the Glass Hammer not cost Grass at all.
  11. Refurbisher. I don't like this. We already have Deconstruction Staves, this feels like more of same. Better call would be something related to plants, ala Wormwood. Perhaps the Green Moonlens can help tend plants, allowing multiple players to have auto-farms on larger worlds.
  12. Additional Content. Honestly none of these feel up to the quality of DST. Maybe the Crow's nest, but the rest are unfinished concepts.

2 hours ago, JaxckLl said:

Refurbisher. I don't like this. We already have Deconstruction Staves, this feels like more of same. Better call would be something related to plants, ala Wormwood. Perhaps the Green Moonlens can help tend plants, allowing multiple players to have auto-farms on larger worlds.

Additional Content. Honestly none of these feel up to the quality of DST. Maybe the Crow's nest, but the rest are unfinished concepts.

Thanks for all the feedback! My idea for the refurbisher was more so to finally add an official "bin" item to the game that would get rid of any excess stuff, especially stingers and hound teeth. It's not meant to be a farming related item like the Compost bin but rather an item management tool to address the accumulation problem in late servers. People try to imitate a bin through quite convoluted ways like a lureplant. Making it a moonlens item and connecting it to the Labor element of green gems feels brings the need of some sort of returns, especially for more complicated items like tools and craft. I don't think it'd be practical to use the deconstruction machine on a multitude of pitchforks lying around at the base or the needless Walter slingshots from many Walter players that came and left in the lifetime of the server.

I'd like to hear your specific opinion on Pomegrenades though, it's a rather bellowed idea that keeps popping up on the Klei official discord and hearing your opinion would be valuable. I feel like it is an ideal item addressing the lack of good ranged options and uses for pomegranates, giving them an unexpected use at fighting and utility department. It combines the farming mechanics and quite underused gunpowder crafts, weaponizing them into instant explosives that could both function in the utility department for cracking open stone fruits, marble trees and alike, as well as reliably damaging desired enemies from a reasonable seedshell distance. It also serves to divide one gunpowder's use to two uses that total the same damage.

I'd like to bring up a problem with antlion and her giving orange gems in one way or another: orange gems aren't that useful. Sure you'll need some for the first couple fuelweaver kills, and having foragers is nice for getting that extra bit of ruins loot/sailing, but other than that, orange gems don't have many uses. You already get plenty from clearing the ruins, and usually those sit around and build up.

@SinancoTheBest The Refurbisher is uninspired. It's what it says on the tin. It's not based off a pun, it's not a clever reinterpretation of existing lore, it's derivative & boring. I don't disagree that it would be nice to have a bin, but at the same time a bin that costs a Green gem is pretty extreme. Besides, the lack of a dedicated bin encourages players to get creative and to explore alternative uses for existing resources. If there's any resource that tends to pile up and needs another use it's seeds, especially the specific seeds. Perhaps instead of a refurbisher, the Green Moonlens can be fed specific seeds and it provides Cookbook hints?

Pomegrenades is fine, but it's just not terribly clever or new. Do we really need a thrown grenade item? No. If Walter is anything his design is demonstrative of the issues with ranged weapons in Don't Starve. His slingshot is strong because it allows him to ignore hits. But in return it has had to be nerfed with an atrocious attack animation that gives the weapon the worst DPS of any main weapon. There's really not design space for more ranged weapons than already exist, least of all one which would make farming Bees & Spiders even easier. Now a new mob that's a living Pomegranate that chases the player before exploding, that I'd be be behind.

I'm honestly surprised Pomegranates weren't included as part of the Ambrosia recipe. This would play up the Greek theme and reinforce the farming connection with all the Lunar tech. One of the big complaints about the Ancient Library is how slow & inefficient the farming for Thulecite is in comparison to just resetting the Ruins. Perhaps Pomegranates could be core to a new enhanced Ambrosia that can be used to speed up Thulecite farming via Moths.

-Ability to pause 'Alone' worlds.

-Lots of new turfs. Make landscaping tab an alchemy-level tab with all turfs moved there. It'd have the man-made turfs while tamper would unlock natural ones.

-Add lots of animations and interactions for common or intelligent mobs

-Add more sprites for objects like grass tufts, boulders, trees etc

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

-Ability to pause 'Alone' worlds.

Yes! This please!

Heck even in vanilla playthroughs I still have a habit of using Global Pause only because I have to get up and take breaks frequently and prefer not to have to leave and re-enter the world every single time.

Lower priority to hit walls, antlion spikes, snails spawners, ... idk why this wanst changed back in DS (there even chest mobs like chester still being hitten...)

Pause buttom. So annoying to log out just to do a short thing like going for water or to the bathroom closing the server where multiple people might be playing and losing friendship with mobs like merms or spider

More and fixed graphic settings. Dst consumes a lot when worlds are old and there is only the option of making the game look so ugly with very small textures or changing resolution (which is bugged and might not work or will make the game consume even more with lower resolutions...)

Better world gen and set pieces (we lose many of ds set pieces and all the cave ones). Make every world feel unique. Also there is no sense or having just 1 walrus camp or 4 and atached to obvious biomes (so the exploration feeling is lost for how determined are stuff atached to biomes)

Reduced performace consume for weeds and lightbugs. Srly these 2 things are computer killers

Scaled chest HD texture

I love boat mechanics but they should turn slightly faster.

Water ballons and fish boat pump should make mobs and structures wet (not having a bar like the player because is already known that it consumes a lot but i could be like ice and sleep resistance). Is so silly to have an structure to fight fires on a boat that isnt an iceflingomatic but not being able to fish in summer because you need to stop fishing to use the fire pump. If the fire pump make wet (and by that wildfire invulnerable) thr boat after certain seconds of use we wouldnt need to use iceflingomatic to fish safely. Is so annoying to lose rare fish and lures because of this

A way for more cave spider dens to spawn if all are destroyed. Because I mined every last cave spider den for fossils, I now have no way of obtaining cave spiders in my 1.4k day megabase world.

image.thumb.png.6512478c29094428a34f9d042f062c3c.png

This was the cave spider biome in my world, only 4 dweller dens remain. I know part of dst is certain resources being able to be hunted to extinction (beefalo, tufts, saplings), but frankly thats dumb. Really the lack of cave spiders is what will probably keep me playing WX for much longer on this world, instead of trying out some spider strats. If webber could craft cave spider dens, that'd be a nice fix for this problem. Until then, rip cave spiders. Slurtles and snurtles also share this problem of going extinct, just thought I'd add that in as well.

Edit: turns out I do actually have some cave spider dens left, 3 to be exact, all in the red mushtree biome. Doesn't change the fact there should be a way to get more of these in your world.

Also

- Give the Seed Pack-It a spoilage reduction 

- Add Blue Gems to the Broken clockworks loot drops

- A way to lure Grass geckos to keep them in a place without them running away

- Slightly increase the Hibearnation vest durability

13 hours ago, Just-guy said:

Also

- Give the Seed Pack-It a spoilage reduction 

- Add Blue Gems to the Broken clockworks loot drops

- A way to lure Grass geckos to keep them in a place without them running away

- Slightly increase the Hibearnation vest durability

1. 100% agree. Not even sure the Seed-It should have any spoilage really

2. 50% agree. The Ruins already have a ton of cool unique loot. It would be better to place mineable gems elsewhere. Perhaps the Guano biome has Geodes which can drop different kind of gems?

3. 100% agree. There's a mod that allows them to be trapped & carried in inventory like other small critters.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:50 PM, JaxckLl said:
  1. Eraser. Great idea! Should be comparable in cost to the Quill, since it has the opposite effect and will be most used in conjunction. Just Corn + Salt is probably perfect.
  2. Cookbook. Totally agree this needs a rework. There's no way to systematically discover all recipes in the same way there is with crops, so I wonder if it might also be prudent to add in some hints at new recipes. Every new dish cooked gives you a hint for another one, something that allows players to systematically discover every recipe.
  3. Winona tweaks. Love the Giant Potato Generator! It might also be prudent to give more use to Trusty Tapes, such as Winona being able to repair her own weapons or armour. Her spotlights could also gain a "hot lamp" mode that allow them to be used to raise crops in the Caves. This would give Winona an expanded niche as an amazing cave baser.
  4. Merm tweaks. The biggest issue with Merms right now is the lack of a neutral variety for basing with a Wurt player. Webber's spiders can be freely combine in a base with other players as of his update, it's time for Wurt's Merms to get  a similar treatment. Perhaps just port the Fishermerm from Shipwrecked.
  5. Desert Stones. Not sure about this pathway, but I agree that Desert Stones need more uses. Might be prudent to give the Antlion fight a guaranteed or high chance Orange Gem upon repeats.
  6. Renewable Tufts. Agreed. It might also be prudent to add them to desolation regrowth. I'd love to see a Cactus-Treeguard that drops fresh Cactus plants. As for renewable Tufts & Saplings, this might be a good place to give Glommer an additional use. Plant Glommer's Goo in a hoed spot and there's a chance it will produce a fresh Tuft/Sapling.
  7. Lunar creatures. Love the suggestion of Giant Crops + Hot Springs. Farming is super fun right now, but it's easy to get too much food making further farming meaningless (in my solo world I have 10 undling wraps full of extra food and it keeps growing). Having additional uses for Giant Crops that are location dependent would be amazing.
  8. Recipe adjustments. I don't disagree with any of these changes. While it's good to have a simple hunger recipe like Meatballs for general use, it would also be great to have more incentives to look at alternatives. Especially since it is so easy to farm massive amounts of veggies, it's frustrating that almost all the best food is best gathered via foraging & spider farming. I would actually go an extra step and nerf Monster meat to only a meat value of .25, since it's such an easy resource to gather in abundance. This would also make fishing much more attractive earlier in a typical playthrough as the standard Fish Morsel would be better than Monster Meat.
  9. Pocket Scale. Totally agree. I would have one on hand regularly if there were more uses.
  10. Moonrock Hammer. Better call would be a Glass Hammer. This would make permanent Lunar Island basing longterm viable, provided you bring a handful of Grass Tufts. Alternatively have the Glass Hammer not cost Grass at all.
  11. Refurbisher. I don't like this. We already have Deconstruction Staves, this feels like more of same. Better call would be something related to plants, ala Wormwood. Perhaps the Green Moonlens can help tend plants, allowing multiple players to have auto-farms on larger worlds.
  12. Additional Content. Honestly none of these feel up to the quality of DST. Maybe the Crow's nest, but the rest are unfinished concepts.

Actually the solution to make Wurt blend in with bases is actually extremely simple on Kiel's part.

Remove the King's hunger system and remove the need to use a clever disguise to recruit merms and interact with the king when a king is made and bam Merms are now welcome at any base and are considered a useful addition to the team.

On 7/2/2021 at 12:29 PM, Mysterious box said:

Actually the solution to make Wurt blend in with bases is actually extremely simple on Kiel's part.

Remove the King's hunger system and remove the need to use a clever disguise to recruit merms and interact with the king when a king is made and bam Merms are now welcome at any base and are considered a useful addition to the team.

This would be a super clean solution. Would require the king to be much more expensive (120 Rot, 40 Gold, would be where I would start) since he's essentially a permanent upgrade to the map.

Archived