First Impressions on the new event

Klei said it would be comparable to Winter's Feast, and I'm not to sure if that holds true. Now I only have ~1:20 time played with the event, so I could very well be missing something, but AFAIK, the event is a pretty tree, some neat decoration objects, 3 minigames, and a couple of chest slot items. The birds are charming, and I do like them, (Lysandre is the best one, fight me).

Compare this to Winter's Feast though, you get klaus fights every 20 days, infinite light without the champion questline, winter's feast trees that can give canes, tams, ruins gems, gears, panflutes, moggles, and sewing kits, along with a mini boss encounter. Not to mention winter's feast chests and skins.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the event, it's very charming, it just feels....lackluster. When you say comparable to winter's feast, I expect big things. This feels more like hallowed nights imo.

If Klei adds a crow character though this event is instant 10/10.

So that I can be sure our messaging is not confusing, can you please point out where we said it was "Comparable to Winter's Feast"? I would like to avoid that in the future if we messed up some wording here. 

It is definitely LIKE Winter's Feast in that it is a seasonal event that add upon each year. But Winter's feast has had of lot of time for small additions throughout the years.

I guess they give winter's feast so highly utility just because they're getting started develop holiday event and design concept  not mature yet. Nothing like this will happen again.

Seriously, a large number of public servers host winter's feast all year round just for cheap bundling wraps and bulb . It made me a little tired of winter's feast, and it kind of lost the meaning of the "holiday event".

5 minutes ago, JoeW said:

It is definitely LIKE Winter's Feast in that it is a seasonal event that add upon each year. But Winter's feast has had of lot of time for small additions throughout the years.

I'm pretty sure you guys will build more stuff next year. This is more like a experiment. :wilson_smile:

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

So that I can be sure our messaging is not confusing, can you please point out where we said it was "Comparable to Winter's Feast"? I would like to avoid that in the future if we messed up some wording here. 

Found it, turns out it didn't say comparable to Winter's Feast, I guess my brain kinda autofilled the information or something.

image.png.5a7bcb21b0e7cb810cea3b15d5494076.png

Ahh yes. Thanks. 

All the same, "autofilling" like that is totally understandable, and something I want to avoid. I think in this case I was trying not to provide too much information too soon, but I see where I could have done better there. 

Thank you. 

I think its an unfair comparison given Winter's feast many tweaks.

I haven't played it yet but its always a bit of a let down when usable items are not included. I like decorations as much as the next person but two summer clothing items... 

I wanted confetti egg bombs that force enemies to dance

Windable toy birds that distract hounds and when destroyed cause a small explosion

A feathered glider that lets me jump small rivers

A nest hat of sort that lets me barter with birds. Maybe exchange out of season seeds for in-season seeds.

I hope everyone has fun with the event! I am grateful for the free update, of course.

But I think I'll pass... The mini-games feel a lot like the learning computer games you'd play in 5th grade, meant to make learning "fun".

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Winter's feast has had of lot of time for small additions throughout the years.

to be honest, Winter fest has always been a great event 

from day 1, it adds:

A sweet menu theme

THE BEST boss in the game

Winter’s Feast Tree, a nice decoration structure that "fix" the underate game mechanics (maybe useless in some people opinion), sleeping by giving you a small reward for doing it

and Gift Wraps 

the later additions is nice but not really that necessary 

if we only compare day 1 Winter fest vs day 1 Midsummer carnival 

and if you ask me, the clear winner here is Winter fest 

Just now, Friendly Grass said:

I haven’t played them yet but I assume they’re like most other event minigames where they’re really most fun and appreciable with friends. Try playing with friends :)

About that...

*sigh*

I guess I'll ask my therapist if he wants to play with me.

This event added crow people to the game so it’s actually a 300/10 event no questions asked

I don’t like comparing events to other events, because I doubt Klei tries to do that much either, especially in the case of winters feast. It easily dwarfs every other event by a longshot in terms of what you get. When it was mentioned it would be “like winters feast”, I more thought it would be a good “generic” event, not something that has a ton of power to it.

Aside from that though, I actually really like this event a lot. It’s goofy and for the most part ridiculous, but I love the theme it goes for. I used to go to a lot of carnival based attractions when I was little over summer break, and this event definitely fits that enjoyment quite well! The stuff you get from it isn’t going to break any records, but there’s some neat items to toy around with, especially tier 3 summer insulation that doesn’t worry about spoilage. The rest has various decor niches, which feels very on place in this event.

Overall, it’s a good distraction in an otherwise dry spell of a 7-8 month gap of Zero event content. I can’t wait to see how Klei attempts to expand on it throughout the years, especially since Winter’s feast got a lot of content past the first year as well.

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

This is super fun and the art in this is phenomenal, I can not wait to see what's in store for Cawnival down the line! Good work (give us carnival crockpot dishes and cart tracks so we can build rollercoaster player & item transportation across the map) 

I definitely think this was a great addition for what it was, and this definitely adds room for more games and such in the future. The thing is though....there's only so much you can do for carnival games with the dynamic we got going with the characters since the way they interact is based on moving or performing an action. Even if there were games involving speed or skill then the player would almost always have the advantage in some way unless you wanted to make it random who wins (which is almost never fun).

I'm sure in the future there could be different avenues as to how they are played such as a Whack-A-Mole game where you control a floating hammer and have to click the moles as they pop up or a paper boat game where you use your movement keys to pilot the boat and battle opposing players to be the last one standing. Or perhaps even full-fledged rides that the characters can ride to gain sanity (or lose it based on the character); On that note, if going down that direction could I recommend that Maxwell gain no sanity from rides and Wes gain sanity from all rides as for a little flavor. Thank you for your consideration. Overall I think this was a great update. It didn't add anything super powerful or game-breaking. It may not have had as many games as I would have hoped (at least 5 personally) or as impactful prizes. But it was fun, simple fun that's going to get bigger every year (after 3 years we may have well over 12 games or more depending on how they envision this going forward). And I think a lot of people take simplicity for granted nowadays.

First impressions for me are that as someone who's been here since before Year of the Gobbler, this is the most fun I've had with an event yet! I don't want to immediately call it the best, because recency bias exists, but I ended up playing a full year with friends tonight because we just got completely lost in it. The mini games are tons of fun, the new items are super interesting (the cape has eyebrella insulation + the corny slush is like a 40 second asparagazpacho), and the decor potential is MASSIVE. Other events bring some nice decor, but they're kind of kitschy and distracting in a way that means you can't often fit them into non-holiday builds, only ones more focused on the Lunar New Year or Christmas, maybe with Hallowed Nights as the exception. This event's got a lot of decor though like the trees that, while they are recognizable as being from this event when on they're own, seem to blend in a lot better in builds.

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

I definitely think this was a great addition for what it was, and this definitely adds room for more games and such in the future. The thing is though....there's only so much you can do for carnival games with the dynamic we got going with the characters since the way they interact is based on moving or performing an action. Even if there were games involving speed or skill then the player would almost always have the advantage in some way unless you wanted to make it random who wins (which is almost never fun).

I'm sure in the future there could be different avenues as to how they are played such as a Whack-A-Mole game where you control a floating hammer and have to click the moles as they pop up or a paper boat game where you use your movement keys to pilot the boat and battle opposing players to be the last one standing. Or perhaps even full-fledged rides that the characters can ride to gain sanity (or lose it based on the character); On that note, if going down that direction could I recommend that Maxwell gain no sanity from rides and Wes gain sanity from all rides as for a little flavor. Thank you for your consideration. Overall I think this was a great update. It didn't add anything super powerful or game-breaking. It may not have had as many games as I would have hoped (at least 5 personally) or as impactful prizes. But it was fun, simple fun that's going to get bigger every year (after 3 years we may have well over 12 games or more depending on how they envision this going forward). And I think a lot of people take simplicity for granted nowadays.

We can get other things besides games. Winter's Feast isn't just sleeping under trees, over the years the content added has been very diverse. We could get crockpot dishes like funnel cakes, a cotton candy machine (new sweetener, cotton candy tufts), new mobs, a boss even. The potential goes beyond the ticket system

Archived