Move the F#### reset button

Would you guys be kind enough to move the reset button to another position especially when you have an effigy ? a confirmation button after pressing the reset world button would be welcome as well.. why would i ask for this ?

Well for example right now, as i died in my 300 days world, i just hit the reset button by mistake since it was in the middle of the screen. guess what happened next..

After having werepigs teleporting to my base in the middle of the night, to this, i'll most likely put the game aside for a year once again.. 

Aren’t you playing with any sort of HUD mod ? Cause the reset and effigy button are fairly far one to another if I remind correctly, like the reset button is on the reset countdown screen while the effigy one has to be near your health status

28 minutes ago, EirikGerhard said:

I'm sorry for your lost world. In the meantime, try to keep backups of your worlds in case bad things happen. 300 days lost hurt, but maybe you can find a better world next! 

World generation is bad for mega basing , i was searching for map like that for one week, i saved the seed, but then they reset the seed system.. 

Keeping backups feels like cheating, so i don't keep backups or use rollbacks, and there is no way to "cheat" after you hit that reset button.. 

I think Klei should rather do something about situations like this, than us having to resort to cheats/mods/console for basic QoL and necessary in game features

2 minutes ago, ADM said:

Aren’t you playing with any sort of HUD mod ? Cause the reset and effigy button are fairly far one to another if I remind correctly, like the reset button is on the reset countdown screen while the effigy one has to be near your health status

That's exactly the point i was trying to make, why is the revive button up there and the reset button in the middle of the screen ? it's like having the uninstall game button as the first option in the main menu of a game, with no safety prompt

1 minute ago, WainingWabbits said:

That's exactly the point i was trying to make, why is the revive button up there and the reset button in the middle of the screen ? it's like having the uninstall game button as the first option in the main menu of a game, with no safety prompt

you misunderstand.

there's something wrong on your end.

Default button position looks like this

dont-starve-together-everyone-dead.jpg

Check your mods.

Just now, Well-met said:

you misunderstand.

there's something wrong on your end.

Default button position looks like this

dont-starve-together-everyone-dead.jpg

Check your mods.

When i was talking about the button being in the middle of the screen, i didn't mean it literally, what i meant is having the reset button as the main option when you die, instead of the revive button, which is "hidden" 

5 minutes ago, WainingWabbits said:

Quando eu estava falando sobre o botão estar no meio da tela, não quis dizer literalmente, o que eu quis dizer é ter o botão de reset como opção principal quando você morrer, em vez do botão de reviver, que está "escondido" 

So it was your mistake for losing the world, lol '-'

3 minutes ago, Well-met said:

so then you deliberately clicked reset despite the button being reasonably out of focus. Seems like that's on you.

The reset is not out of focus, it is in fact the main option when you die, positioned in an area where the player usually keeps his cursor.. any gamer would expect a revive button there, instead of a reset button.. both words revive/resurect and reset are very similar, and there is no safety prompt on that button.. you can argue all you want that is "my fault" but you cannot deny that this is bad a design and something should be done about it, if you disagree, i urge you to switch your Enter key for Alt + F4 and see how many times it's going to be on you.. 

I think you are the only one with this problem. I don't think I have ever heard anyone complaining about this, sorry about your world loss, but this is more on your fault really. Everyone else is fine with this, I mean, why would you even press the "Reset now" button anyway? It's super obvious.

16 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

So you haven't read what's written on the button? I don't get it.

Yeah, something like that, i  was expecting the revive button there like in any other game, i read the first letters "re......" and i was expecting "revive" or "ressurect", so i hit that button like whack-a-mole and here i am

Just now, Spino43 said:

I think you are the only one with this problem. I don't think I have ever heard anyone complaining about this, sorry about your world loss, but this is more on your fault really. Everyone else is fine with this, I mean, why would you even press the "Reset now" button anyway? It's super obvious.

Maybe because it's easy to have it wired after thousands of times clicking "ok" button on boxes and brain doing shortcuts to slam the first button you see after intense moment of trying to not die. 

Everyone clicked a button without intending/reading what it does at some point and I know I once had to harshly twist my hand because I almost clicked it and couldn't stop so I had to get the cursor off the button.

These things happen for sure, but I'm not to decide whether something should be changed or not. A "are you sure" box is something I wouldn't complain about. 

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

Maybe because it's easy to have it wired after thousands of times clicking "ok" button on boxes and brain doing shortcuts to slam the first button you see after intense moment of trying to not die. 

Everyone clicked a button without intending/reading what it does at some point and I know I once had to harshly twist my hand because I almost clicked it and couldn't stop so I had to get the cursor off the button.

These things happen for sure, but I'm not to decide whether something should be changed or not. A "are you sure" box is something I wouldn't complain about. 

your first reflex on death should be to haunt a life amulet, click the effigy at the utmost top right part of your screen or immediately float toward a touch stone.

if your reflex is to go out of your way to click reset then you're simply not experienced enough with the game and should consider it a lesson.

Just now, Well-met said:

your first reflex on death should be to haunt a life amulet, click the effigy at the utmost top right part of your screen or immediately float toward a touch stone.

if your reflex is to go out of your way to click reset then you're simply not experienced enough with the game and should consider it a lesson.

May i ask, are you trolling ? or are you serious ? 

Guys, there is no point in arguing about it. @WainingWabbits@WainingWabbits is overall right, a change in the button's layout could be welcomed. This is a good suggestion for Klei and, if they find it interesting or worthwhile, they might change it in the future. However, I guess that more players would have to complain about that, so you could ask others what they think instead of cursing and arguing. Let's be reasonable guys.

1 hour ago, WainingWabbits said:

Keeping backups feels like cheating, so i don't keep backups or use rollbacks, and there is no way to "cheat" after you hit that reset button.. 

How is keeping a backup cheating? It's only cheating if you abuse the backup system, not for these type of situations. 

I totally agree. For anyone who plays something other than DST, it is simple counter intuitive. Maybe it makes sense for solo DS, since dying actualy rewards for something, but it just feels out of place for DST.

A confirmation prompt is the least and wouldn't actually hurt any HUD nostalgics IMO

Kinda agree. 

When i die, i instinctively want to click on the most visible button that appear thinking that it will help when its actually the worst choice. Never lost a world because of that but sometimes almost.

Like others suggested, a confirmation window or even just a red color around would be better imo.

43 minutes ago, EirikGerhard said:

How is keeping a backup cheating? It's only cheating if you abuse the backup system, not for these type of situations. 

I feel like it's not cheating at all. A long term world is hours and days of playtime invested. Accidentally hitting a button is just one of many things that can destroy the world, but there are also many other factors that might be completely out of your hand.

In any case, I disagree that the UI is at fault here. I don't think I ever used meat effigy outside of some very early vanilla DS runs, but the reset button is always at the same spot, away from the center of the screen. A confirmation prompt could improve it though.

1 hour ago, Lil K said:

Caras, não adianta discutir sobre isso. @WainingWabbitsEm geral, @WainingWabbits está certo, uma mudança no layout do botão poderia ser bem-vinda. Essa é uma boa sugestão para Klei e, se eles acharem interessante ou valer a pena, eles podem mudá-la no futuro. No entanto, acho que mais jogadores teriam que reclamar sobre isso, então você poderia perguntar aos outros o que eles pensam, em vez de xingar e discutir. Vamos ser caras razoáveis.

In all my 4 years of playing this game, I never restarted a world by accident after dying.

I think both sides have fair points.

OP should've taken a second to realize what they were clicking. HOWEVER, I'm honestly surprised there's not a confirmation to reseting your world like that. That would be a nice QOL addition.

Sorry for your world.

I have also lost a hundred-days world from accidentally hitting reset - one time after I got killed while fighting DF, all I had in mind was to quit a bit and calm myself down, so I just mindlessly took the button as "quit to menu". 

"Reset" isn't as clear as "regenerate world" I think, since DST do have c_reset in console commands for rollback 1, this could be misleading, too.

Thus, I agree that the line should be rephrased or a warning/confirmation should be added.

Archived