Though I obviously can't speak for everyone, I think we should highlight some key things that Webber should really get in the upcoming rework. Been playing Webber again after a long time and I have some thoughts I want to share.

• Webber should not auto target spiders and spider dens.

Big one first. I'm surprised that this is an issue at all, seems like an obvious thing that would have been fixed ages ago. spiders won't attack Webber unless he attacked them first, so Webber therefor shouldn't target them with auto attack unless they attack him first.

When you play Webber, you will likely have several spider dens in an area, the location doesn't matter. With so many spiders around, if you accidentally hit the F key for whatever reason, or if you are trying to fight something else like a random angry bee, you will most likely hit a spider or a den. If you don't cancel the attack fast enough, or don't realize you were even attacking at all, then you have about 2 seconds to see you're mistake before an entire ocean of spiders descend on you from every direction. Then, you either get stun-locked and die, or, lose all your armor, run miles away with 3 health remaining, trip on a rock or something, and then die.

So, just make him not auto target spiders and spider dens and none of that will happen.

Pro tip, disconnecting from the server will break aggro.

• An alternative to spider wars would be nice.

I wont lie, spider wars are great. You get lots of free food, silk, and glands for the cost of a single piece of meat. Gameplay wise, its fantastic, lore wise however, its not. Webber loves spiders, and he is clearly distraught about spider glands, saying "I won't think about where it came from." when examining them. So, its rather odd that his best use for his spider friends is to watch them maul each other to death and loot their corpses.

I'm not saying to remove it, it would take away far too much away from Webber's kit, but an alternative of some kind would be nice. Maybe he could build structures nearby spider den's that spiders will passively interact with to generate resources that can be harvested. Like a frame that spiders will weave silk onto to be freely harvested later, like a webbed up bee box.

That's good for silk, but for food, I have a more complex idea. Perhaps whenever any bird or rabbit steps or lands on a spider den's territory, they get stuck. Spiders would then walk out and web them up, carrying them to the den to eat later. Then, Webber could craft a sort of collection area, where spiders would bring their webbed up prey to, instead of their den. This would allow Webber to not only mass capture birds and bunnies, a niche not yet covered by anyone. But, also be great at creating morsel's, a food that can be easily consumed and used by anyone, unlike monster meat. Mix that with some friendly scarecrows, feather hats, or wicker's books, and you got something pretty good. 

And, you can still do spider wars if you want, you monster.

• Better control of spiders.

Lets face it, spiders are not the smartest. They are best when they can stun lock one thing or fight another hoard of many things without worrying about what they are hitting. That's nice, but getting them to attack something specific isn't easy, especially when they are fighting something else. It was the same issue with Wendy and Abagail, but now its multiplied across every spider. 

Maybe Webber could have a similar "rile up" and "sooth" option. Or, some way of specifying a target, either by yelling at them or throwing something tasty at a foe. Difficulty controlling allied NPC's in this game is a tale as old as time, so I wont say much more about it here, just that it should be considered.

• Artificial spider dens.

Now onto the much juicer thing to discuss, spider dens. We could have a way to "lock" a spider den in the final stage without creating a queen, but I have a better idea.

Bees, are wild and not that useful until a bee box is built. Their natural beehive is replaced by an artificial construction for the players benefit. I think spiders should get the same treatment. An artificial "Spider Coop" would allow Webber to "domesticate" his spiders. This would make spiders spawned from them much more passive to players and their allies, like Chester or Abigale. They wont attack others without being attacked, like how they treat Webber. Domesticated spiders could also have additional benefits like using the previously mentioned silk and food collecting structures, or being stronger, but I don't see this as totally necessary here.

Spider coop's could be upgraded with additional resources like regular dens, growing bigger and spawning more spiders, but it will never spawn a spider queen. This keeps "Wild" spiders and spider dens dangerous, but still lets Webber farm spiders at the main base without putting other players in danger, or having the farm on the other side of the map.

If we wanted a way to upgrade or modify spiders, this is likely where it would happen. I won't talk about ways to upgrade spiders here, but I'm sure there's some good ideas floating around, like spiders wearing hats.

Edit: On further thought, the collection area could be merged into the spider coop, where you can harvest food straight out of the coop once they are collected instead of some other building. Keeps things simple and encourages building coops.

• And that's all folks!

I wanted to stick to the essential things here, not trying to sell ideas like night vision or another crafting tab. My focus here is dealing with his main problems that are not caused by his downsides, that's kind of their point. Whether or not he gets his shamlet mask, or if he gets night vision is not what's being discussed here. They are cool, but I wanted to focus on what I think are the essentials. If this was all his rework was, I would be sad that there wasn't more, but glad that my main issues with Webber would be fixed.

But, these are just my thoughts and opinions, I'm curious what yours are. Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day.

Personally, I just really hope they give us methods to buff spiders, as making spider wars with them is really the only useful way to use it, as they die in ~3 hits, making them practically useless against all bosses or any mob with AoE attacks. Since spiders seem to be a strength-in-numbers type of mob, maybe Webber could control and buff them through AoE effects, like something he can use with precise timing to tank spider damage or heal them and so on, making him a group summoner that focuses on managing multiple units as opposed to Abigail. Webber is such a neat concept and I can't wait to see what direction they take him, since there's so many things they could focus on or change.

20 minutes ago, SolDayClash said:

Might sound odd of me saying this, but frankly I'd love seeing Webber being capable of leaping towards a target when attacking from a far distance just like spider warriors do 

Exactly, I always thought of webber of behaving like an actual spider. Aside from that, Webber should also have some benefit in farming, perhaps similar to gorge, since he does mention to be a considerable farmer in some of his quotes. A neat addition to his character I believe. 

about the auto attack im sure in single player you cant actualy auto attack spiders as webber wich is weird that he does in together well anyway i like some of your ideas and i too had ideas for webber mainly that he can place sticky turf on alredy existing turf that slows down none players and that he somehow gets poison attacks bringin poison from shipwreck into multyplayer i mean all spiders have poison alredy just some spiders have a too weak poison for the humans so there makes sense that the spiders cant poison the player but now that new animation it looks like hes goin to be an omigami crafter for what ever reasons oh alsol dont forget in the final picture on that one video where you can see almost every character that there is a spider wearing a hat wich is not possible meaning that sould happen now whit webber rework alsol i read somewhere that someone found out in the codes that the spiders now have an item icon i guess that means traped spiders now dont insta die in a trap and have to be manualy killed in your inventory like rabbits

Well another facet could be, if they did go the artificial den route, the more peaceful spiders could also not attack walls, 

i also think webber should be able to make some of the spider variants more available. I’m sorry for any webber mains, but any spider dens in the cave or lunar island are going byebye because you cant dodge spitter attacks, and cave spiders are just annoying to kill

1 minute ago, Copyafriend said:

Well another facet could be, if they did go the artificial den route, the more peaceful spiders could also not attack walls, 

Yah, that would also be greatly appreciated. Then, people can wall or fence them off with no worry.

In not sure exactly how little spiders are able to topple giant solid stone walls anyway, but that's how it be. 

11 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:

Perhaps whenever any bird or rabbit steps or lands on a spider den's territory, they get stuck. Spiders would then walk out and web them up, carrying them to the den to eat later.

Love this idea. Would be such a cool mechanic. The dens could also essentially act like a lureplant and digest items inside of it. 

Just wanna say - if we're gonna get rid of the auto attack for webber hitting spiders, can we please add an auto attack for Wurt (and id assume webber and wortox also have this issue) against pigs? They're for all intents and purposes hostile mobs to those characters, we shouldn't have to force attack them.

8 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

Just wanna say - if we're gonna get rid of the auto attack for webber hitting spiders, can we please add an auto attack for Wurt (and id assume webber and wortox also have this issue) against pigs? They're for all intents and purposes hostile mobs to those characters, we shouldn't have to force attack them.

You are absolutely right, honestly this is some basic stuff that I'm surprised has not been addressed yet.

15 hours ago, Scrubsberry said:

Personally, I just really hope they give us methods to buff spiders, as making spider wars with them is really the only useful way to use it, as they die in ~3 hits, making them practically useless against all bosses or any mob with AoE attacks. Since spiders seem to be a strength-in-numbers type of mob, maybe Webber could control and buff them through AoE effects, like something he can use with precise timing to tank spider damage or heal them and so on, making him a group summoner that focuses on managing multiple units as opposed to Abigail. Webber is such a neat concept and I can't wait to see what direction they take him, since there's so many things they could focus on or change.

I think this is underselling them abit while it's true their pretty useless in a boss fights but any thing below mid boss tier will not suffer more than a distraction while being taking the easiest to produce food source for webber as payment. That being said I really hope they take this chance to address one of the biggest issues with the follower system for wurt and webber and that's not knowing when loyalty will end this can be very annoying when you think you've fed them enough and decide to bring them along on for a task only for your friends to be mobbed to death.

17 hours ago, blacknight7890 said:
  • Webber should not auto target spiders and spider dens.

yes so much i had to make a mod for it

• An alternative to spider wars would be nice.

i guess?

• Better control of spiders.

yes

• Artificial spider dens.

what?

I'm far from a Webber main, but I just think it'd be cool to be able to make dens of all the different types of spiders in the game like cave spiders, spitters, shattered spiders, dangling depth dwellers, and warriors. Also, skin sets based on these spider types!

1 hour ago, TemporarySolutn said:

yes so much i had to make a mod for it

you what

imma need a link to that

1 hour ago, TemporarySolutn said:

what?

wanted to solve the issue Webber has when working with others. That issue being that spiders only like Webber, and will chew the face off of anyone else, whether Webber wants them to or not.

57 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

I had a lot of faith in them do make a great job in character power, the only things I wish was not to add art that was too different from the original content.

I don't think you need to worry about that, klei knows how to do this stuff.

i think webber should be able to level up spiders into warrior spiders and warrior spiders into champion spiders for more power and hp. also imagine webber being able to ride the spider queen. that would be awesome. it should all come at a cost of sanity and resources.

he also should be able to craft the silk ground that makes enemies slower.

34 minutes ago, YumoS said:

i think webber should be able to level up spiders into warrior spiders and warrior spiders into champion spiders for more power and hp. also imagine webber being able to ride the spider queen. that would be awesome. it should all come at a cost of sanity and resources.

he also should be able to craft the silk ground that makes enemies slower.

the second part sounds cool but wouldn't the first part make him too similar to wurt it would be much better if they gave spiders different abilities like armored  and the long ranged abilities the spiders have instead of just going lv1-lv2-lv3

18 minutes ago, Dextops said:

the second part sounds cool but wouldn't the first part make him too similar to wurt it would be much better if they gave spiders different abilities like armored  and the long ranged abilities the spiders have instead of just going lv1-lv2-lv3

i think we will be able to give them helmets based on the trailer with the spider with the top hat. the other part is, yes, very similar to wurt. we could make it different by being able to craft different neests including these long range spiders who are in the caves.

All i want is a way to be more effective on General Teamwork, instead of with only other Webbers and MAYBE Wendys.
Webber is one of the most effective ways i know to get 5 stacks of Pierogi before day 20 - 40, but it's sad to see that this is the only thing he is good for, i don't feel any different when doing General Gameplay playing as him instead as Wilson.
His abilities are useful, like his spiders, fighting enemies/bosses that don't have an AoE with them it's amazing, but that's it. They are useless to keep certain buildings when there's other survivors around, they're a threat instead of being a defense

17 hours ago, Sub-Maxwell said:

I'm far from a Wes main, but I just think it'd be cool to be able to make dens of all the different types of spiders in the game like cave spiders, spitters, shattered spiders, dangling depth dwellers, and warriors. Also, skin sets based on these spider types!

Y E S

On 5/8/2021 at 4:04 AM, SolDayClash said:

Might sound odd of me saying this, but frankly I'd love seeing Webber being capable of leaping towards a target when attacking from a far distance just like spider warriors do 

196341693_smithoapustajaomega.png.1d1a184509bc845cce33468f900ab6f8.png

6 hours ago, Kommu said:

All i want is a way to be more effective on General Teamwork, instead of with only other Webbers and MAYBE Wendys.
Webber is one of the most effective ways i know to get 5 stacks of Pierogi before day 20 - 40, but it's sad to see that this is the only thing he is good for, i don't feel any different when doing General Gameplay playing as him instead as Wilson.
His abilities are useful, like his spiders, fighting enemies/bosses that don't have an AoE with them it's amazing, but that's it. They are useless to keep certain buildings when there's other survivors around, they're a threat instead of being a defense

That's why I suggested the Spider Coop, spiders spawned from them wont attack structures or players, and they can still be tamed to fight, possibly while wearing helmets. This allows Webber to work with others instead of around them. Plus it still keeps wild spiders dangerous so spiders aren't easy baby mode when Webber is around.

Archived