[Spaced Out! Update] - 463187

Is everyone's stickers colorless or is it just me?

Spoiler

1375921657_colorlessstickers.thumb.PNG.db2438cd80e1ff2b41625ecfe92bc3cb.PNG

I don't remember when the started being that way but I remember them being colorful some while back

On 2/17/2021 at 6:01 PM, sakura_sk said:

1179115347_happydupeishappy.thumb.JPG.f5ef5459d08c5461d3a20de3d8df1e77.JPG

• Ninja 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

@Ipsquiggle It looks like solar radiation tapers off more (down to zero) below the surface/transparent tile, I'm guessing that might be by design.  But it also looks like pre/post this patch (or possibly a previous test patch), the lux from the solar light also tapers off to nothing, I'm guessing that might have been tied to the way rads taper off but can't tell if that was intended or not.  Seemed like an odd thing to change

Spoiler

On live branch - lux tapered off slightly but still extended down a good waysOn Test - lux fades out to zero much quicker

Another "bug exploit" that has been fix :

If you desactivate the water cooler, it doesn't count as a recreative object so you don't get the great hall bonus :

kitchen1.thumb.png.bee28944176ea26a3d1bd947a93e193f.pngkitchen2.thumb.png.2cb0f104df7dc15c5a97dd43e56540b2.png

Edited by SamLogan
  • Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

Remember when we complained we don`t get enough power sinks. Guess now we got a reason to spam fridges - kinda. I wonder if they`ll push it further with freezers.

I like those kinds of updates though. It gives me hope that they`ll adress other systems that could use some love like the disease system or ranching.

• Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ambaire said:

There's a reason why quite a few IRL food items say to refrigerate once opened.

Yes, but that hasn't anything todo with O2, but sterilization/pasterization. Once you open it, you introduce bactery and mold. If I sterilize something in a one of those glases (you know you put it top side down in boiling water or pressure cooker).. there is still oxygen in it afterward, but it will hold for months without refrigerator, because I killed (almost) all bacteria and fungus with the high temperature. If the seal isn't tight tough, they may find a way back in.

PS: To add I really like the new food spoiling thing. Only wished there would be a general way to pasteurize food into glass bottles (which get returned when the contents are eaten)

On 5/8/2021 at 12:55 AM, Tiru said:

I liked the infinite food storage w/ diagonal tile accessibility how it was, even if it was considered an exploit. I get that it isn't intended design, so be it, but I do hope there is still some way to save up infinite food even if it can't be grill-adjacent. It is even more important now to save up a thousand cycles of food to get isoresin.

If shipping everything up into a storage room in space works, that would be good enough. I'd even be fine with making a deep freeze room provided food could be dropped in. If refrigerators are the only solution I really don't like that. I'm fine keeping one fridge in the base for immediate access but there needs to be an low-energy low-heat bulk option. Hope there still is

Exploity way: vacuum tile surrounded by 2 drops of water on either side.

Slightly less exploity way: proper vacuum chamber with a liquid lock. Though I expect vacuum to be patched out at any time, so these are not perfect solutions.

Industrial freezer: chlorine chamber with liquid lock cooled by an aquatuner via ethanol or super coolant. If properly insulated shouldn't consume too much power once set up. Very important to also insulate the steam turbine.

There's also a mod on steam that lets you customise how much isoresin the tree produces.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Industrial freezer: chlorine chamber with liquid lock cooled by an aquatuner via ethanol or super coolant. If properly insulated shouldn't consume too much power once set up. Very important to also insulate the steam turbine.

I'm not on the testing branch at the moment, do you know specific requirements? Sterile (chlorine or co2?) and below 2 C for refrigerated? Does it have to be chlorine or can it be CO2 instead? Chlorine condenses at -34 and CO2 at -56 but pwater in the aquatuner would be good down to -20, if the requirement is only 2C. I could definitely live with that. 

Thanks for the fyi on the isoresin mod. I can't even use the tree currently because it crashes on me constantly but that is good to know for the future.

@Tiru Food needs to be kept at -18*C to be considered deep frozen. It's doable with polluted water, but tricky and risky.

The atmo can be CO2 or even hydrogen, but chlorine is better because it disinfects. Sometimes food ends up with germs on it and chlorine takes care of them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Industrial freezer

Could I add two more?

The easier freezer: Hydrogen atmosphere + space biome

Spoiler

freezer1.thumb.PNG.f917bdd97465526bd35366095a48e554.PNG

freezer1_.thumb.png.27d390e30ffd4de03b9c52496c3a517e.png

The easy industrial freezer (no atomic research required): Co2 atmosphere (a layer of hydrogen to stabilize but maybe it is not needed) + thermo regulator hydrogen cooling

Spoiler

freezer2.PNG.06576b1985de456b233fa5ce2950dfdb.PNG 

freezer2_.thumb.png.985b11756bace5ab9756c016444bacf4.png

freezer2__.PNG.78194e45c35aa868ec15ab50a82aeff8.PNG

*I'm still not producing any hydrogen to fill the loop but it seems it works fine as is

• Thanks 1

One suggestion I have after reading these deep freezer ideas is that it would really be helpful if they added automation to the refrigerator. It could work like the liquid storage tanks do, with min and max. The idea would be that you have an industrial freezer for long-term storage and a single refrigerator in your base for dupes to access. All cooked food goes into the deep freezer and automation triggers conveyors to restock the fridge as needed. 

I don't think dupes should have to go into the deep freeze section just to grab dinner. Without an atmo suit chlorine and hydrogen have the eye and skin irritation debuffs. I think they would be fine in CO2 but they'd still get hypothermia. Not sure going by memory how much stress that causes.

Aside from that it would be good to also have new recipes for food that doesn't spoil. That doesn't have anything to do with this patch, just in general. Berry sludge is great for setting up on new asteroids but more things like pickled meal and grubfruit preserve, that decay slower, would also be nice. 

Hopefully they'll make an exception for food stored in rocket cargo containers or payload containers. In the live branch right now they don't decay and there obviously isn't any way to chlorinate and deep freeze an interplanetary payload at the moment. Sending food to an outpost is a good use case for those. I'd probably build a rocket made entirely of cargo containers and just stick all my food in there though....

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

12 minutes ago, Tiru said:

I don't think dupes should have to go into the deep freeze section just to grab dinner. Without an atmo suit chlorine and hydrogen have the eye and skin irritation debuffs. I think they would be fine in CO2 but they'd still get hypothermia. Not sure going by memory how much stress that causes.

The hydrogen freezer has that effect. The CO2 one doesn't seem to cause hypothermia if the just grub their meal

13 minutes ago, Tiru said:

Hopefully they'll make an exception for food stored in rocket cargo containers or payload containers.

They are in space (vacuum) so ... currently they should be ok..? (I haven't tested them yet)

Yes interplanetary launcher are usually in a vacuum as open to space, and yes it 0% decreasing in there.

However, IMO anerobic baceteria also works in a vacuum as long it isn't cooled down as well. But I'd okay with the Launcher either considered of having a deep freezer built in... or IMO there really should be a "fire now" button/automation input. As just reducing minimal package size doesn't do anything until something comes up and it is not actually "minimal" as "exactly" (it means setting it 10kg it doesn't mean at least 10kg (or more) but it will shoot always exactly 10kg packages.

@Tiru Fridges already have that kind of automation. It works like the smart storage bin: if the fridge is powered, it sends a green signal when it's full. You can hook that to a not gate + filter gates that disable cookers for a couple cycles if you'd like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Fridges already have that kind of automation. It works like the smart storage bin

What it really needs is the same automation as reservoirs. Where you can set a level. Just full/empty isn't really all that useful

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

What it really needs is the same automation as reservoirs. Where you can set a level. Just full/empty isn't really all that useful

Respectfully, I disagree. With the variable max capacity it's in fact very useful. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:52 AM, SirKnightJones said:

THANK YOU FOR THE FOOD NERF! I always love the extra challenge. Keep up the awesome work :)

I find it is a food buff, in my opinion it makes the game easier - Especially for beginners.

> Foods in a powered fridge are always considered refrigerated regardless of temperature
> Refrigerated food now lasts 5x as long instead of 2x
> Refrigerators cool things to 2 degrees Celsius instead of 4 degrees

I love the idea with the food freeze state, which is a good feature for advanced players to tinker with.

It was always logical to me that both factors should be considered - temperature and atmosphere. So the standard set-up could be CO2 again and -20C which can be easily reached with pip planted Wheezeworts (r/a does not hurt much as dupes do no dive down to the food pit for long).

Here is 1600 cycles and no sand was generated, hence no spoiling at all. 

Temperature at the food storage floor is   -24C; outside +36C.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a965f10669ef6c9afbac5e8b16bf1827.png

image.thumb.png.6fd42cfde7fa13b3c7f600d3367152f0.png

POI can be also used for easy food storing

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.60501a26b9baa6e96e75c2992299198d.png

I do support that vacuum should be left unchanged - no spoiling in vacuum. I guess every one plays like he/she really wants. I always used BOTH freezing temp and CO2 or CL for food preservation. If someone likes to use vacuum pockets for food storage, why not. At least it is logical - dehydration in vacuum preserves food from spoiling. Then just add hot water to make it eatable.

• Like 1

If they changed vacuum to no longer deep freeze they should give us a "chest freezer" or something that has slightly larger food capacity/power consumption for long term storage. Could even give it reservoir like automation limits with min/max output, maybe even a gas input which gets cooled down but that is just tempting the math gods that lurk these forums.

• Like 1