Should Meatballs, Pierogi and other recipes be nerfed?

Just now, Friendly Grass said:

It annoys me when ice and twigs are considered free or a negligible cost. Just because they’re easy to get does not make them free, and the cost can really add up if you’re thinking of a consistent, long term food source.

Especially since they for the most part have a lot more uses outside of only cooking food

1 minute ago, Friendly Grass said:

It annoys me when ice and twigs are considered free or a negligible cost. Just because they’re easy to get does not make them free, and the cost can really add up if you’re thinking of a consistent, long term food source.

everything in the Constant is free. 

I don't really care if meatballs or perogies are strong, I just want a good reason to make seafood gumbo or california rolls.

My reasoning in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

I don't think the hunger, sanity, or health from foods is the problem, I just don't think some recipes are as balanced as they should be in terms of what you get out for what you put in like Honey Nuggets. Honey Nuggets gives 37.5 hunger and does not (to my knowledge) allow Inedibles in the recipe. This means that, unless you use 2x ice, you will not get any extra hunger by cooking the individual ingredients (regardless of the health and sanity bonuses) unless you are Woodie

1 minute ago, Owlrus said:

I don't really care if meatballs or perogies are strong, I just want a good reason to make seafood gumbo or california rolls.

My reasoning in the spoiler below:

Hide contents

I don't think the hunger, sanity, or health from foods is the problem, I just don't think some recipes are as balanced as they should be in terms of what you get out for what you put in like Honey Nuggets. Honey Nuggets gives 37.5 hunger and does not (to my knowledge) allow Inedibles in the recipe. This means that, unless you use 2x ice, you will not get any extra hunger by cooking the individual ingredients (regardless of the health and sanity bonuses) unless you are Woodie

While that honey nuggets thing is technically true, beeboxes just produce so much honey that at some point the actual hunger benefit of honey itself is nearly trivial, since youre gonna swim in honey eventually.
At which point the only limitting factor is the meat really.

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

3. lure plants. This takes some time but once you have a few, things like veggie burgers heal 30 hp and 33 sanity. All it cost is an onion which grow 3/4 out of the seasons.

I personally prefer beefy greens or jelly salad, based on whether I want health and hunger, or sanity

big meat can be collected faster than fillers such as ice or berries with werepig and volt goat farms, which allow you to produce enough meaty stew for 1-2 years in 3 minutes (and that's not to mention meaty stew stacks much better than other low hunger foods like pumpkins); you can also make 1 big meat + 1 monster meat + 2 honey honey ham if you want healing

a single bee queen kill drops the equivalent of 55 to 64 pierogi and she's one of the easiest bosses to farm

1 minute ago, Terra B Welch said:

I personally prefer beefy greens or jelly salad, based on whether I want health and hunger, or sanity

It was just an example :)

My point was that lureplants are good. I personally don't use them.

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

Honey nuggets is a healing recipe like pierogis. You're making it because it restores 20 health, not because it restores 38 hunger. Pierogi recipes are likely to turn about 60 hunger into 38.

well instead of nerfing meatballs how about we make some other food better? like kebap? like when has anyone actualy made kepabs if there not warly? like there is no reasons to use 1 stick instead or asparagus soup like it heals 20 and very low hunger you propably make this whit 4 almost roting asparagus fish tacos why would you ever make fish tacos if fishsticks exist? like sticks is pretty much taco but better leafymeatloaf like thats a waste of 2 leafymeat you could have done way more whit 2 leafmeat then leafymeatloaf and its literaly the worst leafymeat food there is and that by alot stuffed eggplant like its just better to eat the eggplant like how it is then make that you may only make that whit 4 roting eggplants if anything 

and there propably more cookpot food that needs some more good things

Meatballs definitely seem a bit too good for their cost(1 monster meat 3 ice), hunger wise. But I’m stupid and make what I like not what’s necessarily the meta. Frog sandwiches, fish sticks and banana pops for days!

It really doesn’t bother me so I just say leave it or make some of the other foods more appealing.(No pun intended I swear!)

Personally I'd like to see the spoilage time of more difficult to make foods be increased, as IMO that would make for a good balancing-out of different traits. It's one of the reasons people eat honey as-is instead of turning it into a crock pot dish. And sure, you can just bundle/rebundle food, but there's a pretty strong practical aspect to food you can just hold in your inventory.

5 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

Leafy meat and farming updates, combined with the evolution of the DST community, have thoroughly dealt with the meatball + pierogi meta.

I'd also suggest looking into meaty stew, which easily wins over meatballs IMO.

Who makes pierogi in 2021?

me.

I enjoy the slow spoilage rate. Also they are incredibly cheap - 2 monster meats + 2 stone fruits.

As Warly I generally enjoy any highly healing dish obiously.
As wigfrid I can't eat the (now probably meta) veggies.
As Wendy I have a ton of MM.

As any character, until i get a bundling wrap, it is my go-to healing food simply for the spoilage time. Yes, even in 2021.

I dont rely on meatballs unless I cannot do anything else better. I could say is kind of beginners/trash dish, like when 40 corns and 30 monster meats rots in my saltboxes (and still pierogi would be preferable option). I would not nerf meatballs because not everybody is a cook in game, not everybody loves farming and sometimes people refuse to eat fancy dishes because are... too fancy (why you would eat healing dish when you dont need that?).

Meatballs are cheap and easy to make, but they fill an important niche in the early to midgame when you are low on resources and time overall.

Pierogi are a good healing food but actually not incredibly cheap in terms of cost-benefit. They require specific tech and 3 specific ingredients. Like meatballs they are a bit of a monster meat dump, but I think that's fine and needed in the game. Otherwise they have a whooping 20days spoilage timer, which makes them exceptional at storage but are also an easy item to attach seasonings to as Warly.

As others have said: I think if there is an issue with crockpot recipees its rather that there are several dishes that are simply too inefficient.

Efficiency is key here and obviously tied to how time consuming it is to gather ingredients. One of the core factors here is specificity. I think the more specific the ingredient restriction the higher the payoff should be.

Some recipes that I think should be buffed in some direction:

• Bacon and Eggs: If there was an efficient morsel source (one that is more efficient than hunting for big meat or monster meat) then this recipe would be fine, but with the specific restrictions it is almost always going to be 1 monster meat, 1 big meat, 2 eggs and it spoils relatively fast. I feel like it should provide more hunger as long as morsels are a non-factor.
  • Fish Tacos: Two specific ingredients make this underwhelming, especially since there is typically no incentive of producing corn. This could easily provide more hunger and sanity even. Otherwise I would never consider making this, except I just happen to have the ingredients and no better option.
  • Fruit Meddley: Three specific ingredients that typically provide way more stats if cooked over fire or used in other recipes with some niche exceptions.
  • Guacamole: Very specific, hard to farm/scale, very underwhelming stats.
  • Kabobs: Completely overshadowed by Meatballs and has basically no utility.
  • Mandrake Soup: Really? Non-renewable, rare resouce, no interesting effect. I guess it can be used as a emergency food. But this one is super underwhelming.
  • Turkey Dinner: A food that provides decent stats but the issue here is specificity and relative rarity of Drumsticks. Could easily provide additional stats in either category as a payoff.
  • Unagi: Require two specific ingredients that are very biome dependent on top of it but very little stats, so they are not worth making except as a emergency food. The alternative recipes that these ingredients provide completely overshadow this one.
  • Pumpkin Cookies: The issue I have with this is the low spoilage time and the fact that you don't gain any significant stats over cooking the pumpkin over fire and eating taffy. They are only slightly more efficient than that. I think a much higher spoilage timer would be warranted.
  • Ratatouille: If I spend the time and the crockpot slot to cook, I should be rewarded with some payoff even if small. This recipe is completely worthless, even degrades the stats.

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Buffing weaker recipes (such as Ratatouille lmao) would be the way to "nerf" meatballs. Give people a reason to make something, don't give people reasons to NOT make something.

One easy change to make Ratatouille less of a complete noob trap (which there are already plenty of) and a bit more interesting would be a requirement of putting two different veggies in but then provide a decent stats distribution. Since this would still be an easy early game recipe (thinking of mushrooms/cactus + carrots) it could provide more of a health/sanity recovery bonus than straight up hunger like meatballs so it doesn't just straight up compete with it but complements it a bit.

Thinking of this: We have very few viable and accessible early game recipes. It's really just meatballs for hunger, trail mix for health and froggle bunwich for a little bit of both. Only one of them requires 1 veggie. I think there is a place for ratatouille not being a complete waste of resources.

Edit: with all that said, including the rant above: The game doesn't *need* these changes. I think it would be slightly more interesting if said recipes were useful, but there are already enough that are purely from a mechanics perspective.

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Buffing weaker recipes (such as Ratatouille lmao) would be the way to "nerf" meatballs. Give people a reason to make something, don't give people reasons to NOT make something.

I wish Ratatouille was better than what it is. It looks so delicious in the game

4 hours ago, AllFunNGamez said:

I wish Ratatouille was better than what it is. It looks so delicious in the game

Yeah i think some other foods could stand to be made better/ more interesting. Also i feel like maybe you and i play the game differently from everyone else cuz 99% of the time I make just meatballs as well LOL. I guess everyone else is a chef when they play lol. XD

1 hour ago, Spirit Glow said:

Yeah i think some other foods could stand to be made better/ more interesting. Also i feel like maybe you and i play the game differently from everyone else cuz 99% of the time I make just meatballs as well LOL. I guess everyone else is a chef when they play lol. XD

I knew there was another among us LOL. 

I swear these must be the rarest people because everyone I play with always ask for Meatballs and rarely are making themselves specialty dishes other than maybe Bacon n Eggs. 

I think people feel like if they use just meatballs they are considered noob... I would consider it smart its easy food fast and quick. Monster meat is so easy to get in DST and so is filler. 

But maybe I am just crazy...

41 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

I knew there was another among us LOL. 

I swear these must be the rarest people because everyone I play with always ask for Meatballs and rarely are making themselves specialty dishes other than maybe Bacon n Eggs. 

I think people feel like if they use just meatballs they are considered noob... I would consider it smart its easy food fast and quick. Monster meat is so easy to get in DST and so is filler. 

But maybe I am just crazy...

I am honestly so confused every time you comment about meatballs being so fast. I don't know if you are just ignoring everything everyone has said and is absolutely adamant about meatballs being some kind of meta or you are trolling. I don't mean to be rude but I am very much baffled. Despite the overwhelming amount of information that has been provided in this thread you have closed your ears and somehow think we are using some kind of niche (lmao). 

We are not "the rarest people", sorry to say but you have been playing with those who are inexperienced. As I have seen your replies a big part of it is that you are incredibly stubborn. Yes you have 4000 hours but you aren't learning very much because you are very unwilling to adapt. You arent willing to try something new and have completely decided to ignore all of the advice you have been given. 

You're comments honestly sound like a cry for help to me lol. Seriously this Isn't a rant. I am very sorry if this has offended you in some way.

I am just baffled. Seriously, I collect 6 days worth of food in SECONDS. I AM SO BAFFLED.

WOW..... 

MEATBALLS? REALLY....?

Sincerely,

baffled... 

Really? Meatballs? Out of the... What, 100 or something recipes in the game? We, are using "specialty" dishes? You have built your entire survival of meatballs. Dude you are the king of specialty. Your specialty is meatballs! 

I am soooooooooooooooooo confused.

and no I don't think people are noobs for using meatballs, but like.... ALL THE TIME??????? FOREVER??? IN 4000 HOURS??? Why are you so stubborn lmao sorry.... 

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I am honestly so confused every time you comment about meatballs being so fast. I don't know if you are just ignoring everything everyone has said and is absolutely adamant about meatballs being some kind of meta or you are trolling. I don't mean to be rude but I am very much baffled. Despite the overwhelming amount of information that has been provided in this thread you have closed your ears and somehow think we are using some kind of niche (lmao). 

We are not "the rarest people", sorry to say but you have been playing with those who are inexperienced. As I have seen your replies a big part of it is that you are incredibly stubborn. Yes you have 4000 hours but you aren't learning very much because you are very unwilling to adapt. You arent willing to try something new and have completely decided to ignore all of the advice you have been given. 

You're comments honestly sound like a cry for help to me lol. Seriously this Isn't a rant. I am very sorry if this has offended you in some way.

I am just baffled. Seriously, I collect 6 days worth of food in SECONDS. I AM SO BAFFLED.

WOW..... 

MEATBALLS? REALLY....?

Sincerely,

baffled... 

Really? Meatballs? Out of the... What, 100 or something recipes in the game? We, are using "specialty" dishes? You have built your entire survival of meatballs. Dude you are the king of specialty. Your specialty is meatballs! 

I am soooooooooooooooooo confused.

and no I don't think people are noobs for using meatballs, but like.... ALL THE TIME??????? 

haha sorry yeah no trust me I am absorbing all of the information. 

3 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

haha sorry yeah no trust me I am absorbing all of the information. 

I watch you stream sometimes and you are a very nice down to earth person. I like that you always try to engage with everyone.  

But seriously, make 10 or so beehives and just watch the money roll in like its nobodies business. I plat the 6 flowers around every hive, catching butterflies isn't that hard anyways. They regenerate honey so fast! All sumer and early autumn they are packed in a single day.

My man, do yourself a favor, please. Build those money makers!

Archived