Jump to content

Should Meatballs, Pierogi and other recipes be nerfed?


Recommended Posts

I for one always rely on Meatballs , Pierogi and a few other recipes to sustain my existence in the constant. But I think in order to see other recipes in the light I think something needs to done or else we are just hurting warly's feelings,

Once idea I had for this would be Recipes that give better results depending on the time of the year in DST. For example Autumn (meatballs give normal hunger etc) Once winter hits foods such as Honey Ham and Other Themed Recipes give you more.. ETC through each season.

This would be the only way to really allow a player to experience the use of each recipe and know how to make it. Leaving Meatballs and easier recipes alone allow for an easier way to forget what other potential is out there.

Also this is coming from someone who only eats meatballs in DST. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meatballs barely pay out hunger-wise, Pierogi still require 2 to 3 meats to even get the eggs most of the time and idk what other recipes your'e referring to, but a lot of recipes are really really good besides the things people usually default to. Plus, farming can net you a ridiculous amount of foods for various purposes already, so I don't think meatballs and pierogi are all that problematic personally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think weaker dishes just need a buff more than anything although I do like the idea of certain  foods being more effective in certain seasons.

I cook a fair few recipes but I mainly survive off jerky, bacon and eggs and pierogis. I never cook meatballs because of the spoilage time.

Actually even though I don't use them meatballs could probably see a small nerf, they are stupidly easy to make. reduce what sort of filler they need, remove nonsense like ice and sticks, meatballs should require fruit/veg filler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those dishes are actually "traps". There are better food sources in the game. 

1. Honey. 1 time cost and automated 3/4 of the year. Can be used as healing, sanity and food. Very high spoilage time.

2. Kelp. Can be dried for sanity. Good veggie filler (.05) for things like vegetable stinger. And veggie burger. Wurt can can get away with only eating kelp.

3. lure plants. This takes some time but once you have a few, things like veggie burgers heal 30 hp and 33 sanity. All it cost is an onion which grow 3/4 out of the seasons. 

Automated food exists, so no, meatballs are not op.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

Also this is coming from someone who only eats meatballs in DST. 

May I suggest you be the change you wish to see?

My current world is nearing 2000 days and I don't think I've made more than 10 Meatballs. (I've also made zero Pierogies, but I'm Wormwood, so it doesn't count.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next time someone tells me to stop relying on Meatballs I am sending them here LOL. It is good to know that so many people are not for the change I always love seeing good feedback like this. 

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

May I suggest you be the change you wish to see?

My current world is nearing 2000 days and I don't think I've made more than 10 Meatballs. (I've also made zero Pierogies, but I'm Wormwood, so it doesn't count.)

Ah no it was just a post to see what peoples ideas were. I really love Meatballs tbh I just get a lot of flack for always relying on them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, AllFunNGamez said:

The next time someone tells me to stop relying on Meatballs I am sending them here LOL. It is good to know that so many people are not for the change I always love seeing good feedback like this. 

Well have you ever tried... not using only meatballs?
I can assure you that meatballs aren't as big of an issue when it comes to the usefulness of certain foods as you might think, especially not in modern DST times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Do you mean this onslaught of posts where people are suggesting big changes/removal of core mechanics/strategies?

It's grinding my gears too D:

I think there are worse things to get heated over. It is nice to have conversations like this so when Klei looks for changes they ignore these sort of things. 

Would you rather have posts that are useless like "What would wes look like with only shorts on, or imagine the constant if it was all Pokemon?" 

I really think these sort of posts are fun and enjoyable to see both sides of the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Nettalie said:

 

Well have you ever tried... not using only meatballs?
I can assure you that meatballs aren't as big of an issue when it comes to the usefulness of certain foods as you might think, especially not in modern DST times. 

When I say only Meatballs I am not saying JUST meatballs I guess I should say Majority.... Taking things I say literally might be the problem here. I have tried other recipes I am just saying that if Meatballs were to get nerfed we could end up with a further exploration of recipes without having that crutch of always knowing there is an easier recipe I mean tell me If I am wrong here.

3 minutes ago, Nettalie said:

Not saying you should stop entirely, just saying that unless you exclusively make meatballs using only ice and monstermeat, that there's plenty of better options out there.

Oh no I totally agree. I am just a lazy DST boy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AllFunNGamez said:

I think there are worse things to get heated over. It is nice to have conversations like this so when Klei looks for changes they ignore these sort of things. 

Would you rather have posts that are useless like "What would wes look like with only shorts on, or imagine the constant if it was all Pokemon?" 

I really think these sort of posts are fun and enjoyable to see both sides of the story.

I would rather that almost every weird strategy or mechanic that have existed for  years not be reported as bugs or suggested for removal from the game. 

Honestly some of these to me are a core part of what makes this game unique.

Totally agree that constructive suggestions and discussion are great but right now it feels like some players want the game to be flipped/completely changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AllFunNGamez said:

When I say only Meatballs I am not saying JUST meatballs I guess I should say Majority.... Taking things I say literally might be the problem here. I have tried other recipes I am just saying that if Meatballs were to get nerfed we could end up with a further exploration of recipes without having that crutch of always knowing there is an easier recipe I mean tell me If I am wrong here.

Oh no I totally agree. I am just a lazy DST boy. 

Well I can't deny that meatballs are a simple recipe. But that being said a lot of the time you could just as well use the ingredients alone for the same benefit, if not more. Besides the 5 sanity maybe.

And tbh i feel that might be even simpler since you save yourself the cooktime potentially. PLUS as I've said, farm crops are really good. A lot of them you can just use straight up without needing to put them into the crockpot, as you can amass so many so easily and a lot of crops are essentially wasted in the pot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GelatinousCube said:

I would rather that almost every weird strategy or mechanic that have existed for  years not be reported as bugs or suggested for removal from the game. 

Honestly some of these to me are a core part of what makes this game unique.

Totally agree that constructive suggestions and discussion are great but right now it feels like some players want the game to be flipped/completely changed.

Right I do agree somewhat that DST as a core is fine I am always up for small changes that could make us almost re learn our normal patterns. After all these small changes could really make us feel like we are learning how to survive a season all over again. I have been using certain Mechanics of DST as a crutch for a while now and I know for a fact I am not the only one. So I think routinely changing this or just something that changes it could make for an overall better experience that would encourage and shed light on other features such as wormwood growing giant crops that no longer are left unattended.

My biggest things to finish my reasoning with is why should I care if Wormwood or anyone grew a giant Potato when I have monster meat and a few things of ice in my hand I know I have enough food to last me for a while. I am not saying I do not respect the players who are growing this but would you not feel more success in growing these knowing they are being put to good use? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AllFunNGamez said:

My biggest things to finish my reasoning with is why should I care if Wormwood or anyone grew a giant Potato when I have monster meat and a few things of ice in my hand I know I have enough food to last me for a while. I am not saying I do not respect the players who are growing this but would you not feel more success in growing these knowing they are being put to good use? 

A giant potato will return generally 2 potatoes (75% chance for another one) and two potato seeds(25% chance for another one).

Cooked potatoes provide 20 hp and 25 hunger, so from one giant potato you'll probably get 40-60 hp, 50-75 hunger worth of stats, and that's just one giant potato, generally you'll probably be growing a lot more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can actually see both sides though instead of nerfing just try your hardest to go learn something else I guess for me I just look at it as why? 

Something to compare it to would be a Torch imagine the Torch lasted the same amount of time as a Lantern does without losing light. Would you still be encouraged to go into the caves to get a lightbulb to make the Lantern? Or would you just keep making a Torch that lasts the same amount of time. Obviously you cannot because the Torch is only a stepping stone before you want a Lantern. 

I feel the same goes for Meatballs they are a stepping stone to future cooking in Don't Starve Together. You move from Meatballs and down the road but if there is no reason to switch off from your main Dish unless you are playing Warly who hates repetitive food. I see no reason in doing so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hornete said:

A giant potato will return generally 2 potatoes (75% chance for another one) and two potato seeds(25% chance for another one).

Cooked potatoes provide 20 hp and 25 hunger, so from one giant potato you'll probably get 40-60 hp, 50-75 hunger worth of stats, and that's just one giant potato, generally you'll probably be growing a lot more.

this is without even mentioning how easy it is to grow giant potatoes, even without utilizing crop combos!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hornete said:

A giant potato will return generally 2 potatoes (75% chance for another one) and two potato seeds(25% chance for another one).

Cooked potatoes provide 20 hp and 25 hunger, so from one giant potato you'll probably get 40-60 hp, 50-75 hunger worth of stats, and that's just one giant potato, generally you'll probably be growing a lot more.

No I understand the Value in the potatoes my point was that what is the point if you don't even need to worry about growing them knowing you have an easy recipe for something that gives you 62.5 hunger in your back pocket? 

Please do not get me wrong I know my point is not valid I am just saying how sometimes it could be easier to survive on the simplest recipes without ever wanting to step foot towards the more complicated stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's always gonna be *meta food* in game like this even if things change new meta will soon come. Nevertheless i am up for a change where having diversified diet is encouraged (maybe some bonus for consecutive different dishes) rather than forced (by nefring). So reward using more meals rather punish for monodiet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW I am somewhat new to the forums is there a way for me to separate my posts instead of having them clump together on one persons reply? Also how do I quote a single sentence instead of the whole thing someone says?

Just now, Parusoid said:

There's always gonna be *meta food* in game like this even if things change new meta will soon come. Nevertheless i am up for a challenge where broader use of available dishes is encouraged (maybe some bonus for consecutive different dishes) rather than forced (by nefring)

Yea I agree something similar to Warly would be a great addition. Not requiring crockpot food exclusively though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...