My one dream has come true

1 minute ago, LinknAllie said:

I do,  but this could possibly lead to him being unlockable similar to Wes in Don't Starve.

Exactly! i thought this could be an alternative to buying or weaving characters... Unlocking them in-game as other characters on Don't Starve.

Unlockable characters might be a bit finnicky as it sort of delves into "achievement" territory, where there would just be servers upon servers of people tunnel visioning to unlock Wagstaff to the point where it's not a game of survival but a game of unlocking this dude. That, or people will just do a quick lil' cheat world and get him in 2 minutes tops, defeating the purpose. :chargrined:

I wouldn't mind if he was just, added, like Winona. As long as Winona gets some new gadgets as well so she doesn't get overshadowed.

1 hour ago, Lumberlocke said:

Unlockable characters might be a bit finnicky as it sort of delves into "achievement" territory, where there would just be servers upon servers of people tunnel visioning to unlock Wagstaff to the point where it's not a game of survival but a game of unlocking this dude. That, or people will just do a quick lil' cheat world and get him in 2 minutes tops, defeating the purpose. :chargrined:

I wouldn't mind if he was just, added, like Winona. As long as Winona gets some new gadgets as well so she doesn't get overshadowed.

Well while doing the metheus puzzle you can just summon ancient chest and its ingredients to solve the puzzle via console, seems this one is a bit similar.

11 hours ago, Brubs said:

Yet*

This confirms it won't happen ever. In the same way granny lobster won't ever be playable.

Having a playable wagstaff would completely ruin the novelty of the NPC gimmick and confuse people as to why this one wagstaff is supposed to be any different from the one your friend next to you is.

If anything this should be horrible news to OP.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

This confirms it won't happen ever. In the same way granny lobster won't ever be playable.

Having a playable wagstaff would completely ruin the novelty of the NPC gimmick and confuse people as to why this one wagstaff is supposed to be any different from the one your friend next to you is.

If anything this should be horrible news to OP.

While I do want him to be playable more than anything I'm still happy with this.  A lot of people were saying I was wrong and that they wouldn't add him at all.  But I ended up being right in the end.  

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

Having a playable wagstaff would completely ruin the novelty of the NPC gimmick

Something I did forget to mention initially.  Maxwell was an npc before the "All's well that maxwell" update in don't starve.

15 hours ago, Brubs said:

Exactly! i thought this could be an alternative to buying or weaving characters... Unlocking them in-game as other characters on Don't Starve.

Ok, let me use my console, spawn boss, turn godmode on and kill him with unlimited darkswords.

5 minutes of "work" and 5$ on DLC character saved.

1 hour ago, LinknAllie said:

Something I did forget to mention initially.  Maxwell was an npc before the "All's well that maxwell" update in don't starve.

Yeah, but Maxwell couldn't be visited by himself.

2 hours ago, inferjus4 said:

Yeah, but Maxwell couldn't be visited by himself.

I know that.  But Wagstaff as of now is still a hologram/projection meaning it's not the same character especially if the playable character is the physical Wagstaff.  Even then there can be multiple of the same character in a world which isn't ever actually explained.  Even in the original don't starve there can be 2 of the same character.  One on the throne and the player.

2 hours ago, VouMorrer said:

still, how many characters became playable? 23, how many of these have NPC variants? 2.

you should be proud of Wagstaff becoming NPC, it's more an honor than becoming playable 

How is it more of an honor?  Having your main turned into an unplayable character.  For characters like Pearl who weren't survivors to begin with is understandable but for them to permanently turn him into a prop just isn't believable.  While I'm happy he's in the game in general I'm still hoping I get to play him eventually.  I don't care how long I have to wait.

1 hour ago, inferjus4 said:

Ok, let me use my console, spawn boss, turn godmode on and kill him with unlimited darkswords.

5 minutes of "work" and 5$ on DLC character saved.

Wagstaff COULD not be paid dlc. And only unlockable. There are also other ways to mitagate this, like only allowing unlocking him via servers without any server mods. Also I think Wagstaff will make a great addition due to his blindness mechanic being interesting. Oh and also using console commands would disable unlocking him.

People saying he cant be added because hes an NPC and MIGHT be in the same room as "himself" so its impossible... I mean it could be easily fixed with robert examining the NPC one with "My old recorded projection/hologram/echo of when I was doing that" or something. This is a game with magic monkeys, my immersion isn't going to be broken because If I'm playing wagstaff and I see another one...I mean what about the 4 wigfrids in the server already?

If its really gonna bug people, why not just let the player wagstaff be able to craft the new altar? but then you're taking away the neat quest stuff.

Archived