Right now, we can send between planets and rockets liquids, gases and solids. What about automation? I think the devs should add some sort of automation port for rockets and some sort of signal sender for planets. That would help making very precise systems for those planetoids i.e. (If the water reserves in some planetoid are full, we could send a signal to another planetoid, sending a rocket there)

6:25 babba wakes up and switches on ONi

6:31 all parked rockets are auto-fuelled and cargo loaded via @pether system time automation plug, pulling the local time from the pc system

6:33 all 28 rockets lift off automatically, to their pre-programmed destinations, to transport cargo in a non-efficient brute force "fun way"

6:34 all colonies dupes are auto de-frosted via pether-time-plug automation, all @goboking-system-de-frosted dupes start working

6:40 babba`s reactor in the dlc classic terra map starts to overheat, Klei never spawns enough water

6:49 babba returns to the pc with molten morning lasagne in the hands, everything around the reactor is fluid hot and melting

6:50 babba posts a vent meme about the rmbk-1000 and the lack of cold water spawns, prepares a radioactive coffee and asks for spreading fires and cargo space shuttles in the game

Yeah, since payload launchers can be automated, it would really make sense to automate them based on destination needs. I'd love to see automation signals sent to another asteroids. For 1st colony it could be automation port on the warper, so we could send signals along with resources, for more distant planets we could have some radio towers sending proper signals.

Some time ago I made this mod that includes those features, but in current state of SO DLC I really feel it should be included in the game by default. If you are interested, you can check the mod here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2361374172 

30 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Hot take: I think there is such thing as too much automation, and I think this is one of those cases. Like, some player interaction and decision making needs to exist, otherwise it becomes an afk game. 

I think the amount of automation you'd need to truly make it an AFK game would pretty easily offset the fact that it's an AFK game.

Plus, you aren't forced to build automation and it doesn't always offer any efficiency boost so what's stopping you from doing things yourself? I think being able to send automation signals across planets would make the game a lot more interesting and bring the whole multi-planet colony gameplay together much more smoothly.

46 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Hot take: I think there is such thing as too much automation, and I think this is one of those cases. Like, some player interaction and decision making needs to exist, otherwise it becomes an afk game. 

There is no such thing as "too much automation". If something, there is only "not enough automation" - pretty much constant state of my games.

But to be serious - having multiple colonies running at the same time, you MUST use automation as much as possible. That allows you not to care about old base systems, so you could focus on new colonies. Many people feel that having two colonies is too difficult to manage, and lack of automation and/or stable systems is most probably the reason.

As there is a planet full of water, it feels right to setup pumping operations there and send the water accross the space wherever it is needed. But where is it needed? You can't just put lauchers on the surface and forget about it because you will flood one planet and starve another. Ofc you can make manual distribution, fly rockets there to collect water and redistribute it somewhere else, but 1) some people may think it is boring and repetitive after several same rocket trips and 2) you must always pay attention to all water supplies on all asteroids and you can't really focus on setting up magma colony.

Ofc you can play however you like, but I wouldn't like being forced to do the same manual chore over and over again...

@pether on asteroids I would like to put up an automation connected Resource Requester Box ( Automation Box ).

The Resource Requester Box checks the total resource values of the entire asteroid ( currently the insides of rockets have their own resource stock accounting ).

Examples:

Send green signal, if ____asteroid refined gold is below(or)above 10 tons.

Send green signal, if ____asteroid pwater is below(or)above 100 tons.

Send green signal, if ____asteroid calories ( entire edible food class ) is below(or)above 1 million.

Its a kind of automation call for "Hey, I need stuff. Here is a green signal - You got the Resource Requester Box and the Rocket launch automation connected ? Rocket is now automatically loading/launching".

image.png.be133685a8421ecd6b58a386c36f63c7.png

It is also important that the planet destination can be pre-defined/pre-selected and some "Auto return rocket empty to sender asteroid" and some kind of tick box for the rocket "Only launch rocket if fully loaded" and "Send rocket back to sender" and "Launch regardless if full, after xxx cycles". Klei would have to figure out what cargo settings belong to the rocket and what settings are best for the requester box. Its about automating cargo routes between asteroids and automatic rocket resource loading. The Resource Requester Box could also be connected and used for the Interplanetary Launcher.

So somebody would have to sit down and design a proper asteroid`s resource routing system in combo with rockets and the Interplanetary Launcher.

The whole cargo rocket situation, rocket cargo modules, rocket interior transport possibilities and rocket ports are still a kind of unorganized mixed up mess IMHO.

Perhaps proper Loading Management is required ?

Some typical example scenarios a player wants to achieve:

> I want to always have x amount of resources on asteroid x

> I want to get x resources to asteroid x now or when some defined condition is triggered

So if Klei imagines those example scenarios and then works their way to routing/loading/unloading/reloading design...That would be nice :p

Maybe a new control screen would be also useful ?

image.thumb.png.28a5f174956e26ed5f9a9cde0e790de1.png  The Rocket/Interplanetary (Un)Loading/Requesting/Routing Screen

Mission Control ...would need to look cooler than the space map please...It could be a dedicated upgraded pro-version of the star map, dedicated to "cargo management".

2 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

Actually, there is no such thing as too much automation. There is always something that could be automated. Also there is a lot of player interaction and decision making when you are bulding big automation systems. You need the knowledge to learn how to use the automation, time for your dupes to build them, resources, etc.

@pether I think this water use case can easily be solved by hooking up the water supply (reservoir, hydro sensor) to an automated notifier, which will let you know which colonies are low on water / fuel / whatever before the disaster happens.

You can even use a huge rocket from the aquatic planet that you will only have to send once per several hundred cycles.

In fact, I really like this example because it highlights the importance of careful planning and foresight, without locking you into a single best solution – as opposed to having 7 platforms on the water planet with a wifi sensor next to each that hits the launch button when it needs to. :roll: And the same thing with niobium, isoresin and every other resource.

As we started talking about automation, my dream is that at some point there will be automation possible based not on just red/green signal but on data and computations.

I want sensors capable of sending a number or other data, logical units capable of processing those data. e.g. compare 2 temperature values and do action based on which one is higher. Or add values from multiple weight plates and then use it for automation. And many many other use cases.

Something like this is present in Factory Town, but there it has pretty limited application. Though it could really shine in ONI allowing to create self balancing systems.

Dreams, dreams...

Currently I am flying dedicated rockets with loaded rocket fuel to asteroids where I have no fuel stock available for the parked rockets...Also I am operating a variety of rockets with various different fuel types.

Perhaps a Space Station, which can act as Rocket Fuel Station, would be good. Then I could send dedicated fuel loaded rockets to the Fuel Space Station. That could be a great place to run all the various fuel refinements, have energy storage tanks and also the Space Station could serve as microwave energy transmission relay, the starting point and energy hub for an multi-asteroid-interconnected-electricity-grid.

If we had fire in the game, I would bite in to the table if a fire would break out at the Energy Space Station...because Stinky started welding somewhere with the fire sprinkler system being water depleted ( because I didn`t refill the sprinkler system with water ). This could cause a player triggered endgame-style energy crisis on multiple asteroids at once + collapse of rocket routes due to rocket fuel shortage.

The Space Station could also act as resource storage hub. Player caused accident there could then have dramatic outcomes for the players asteroids, due to not delivered resources and resulting shortages.

Personally, I would prefer to just have a way to send automation signals from one planetoid to another. Maybe a special building-pair with a 4x input ribbon and a 4x output ribbon and you can select which other planetoid to connect the automation signals with. Of course that should at least work from the starting planetoid to all others at the same time (with one max on the other planetoid and multiples on the starting one). This could be a "signal master station" on the starting planetoid with selection of the target and a passive "signal satellite station" with no selection possibility on the other planetoids.

i'm not at the point of the game to automate planets for requesting supplies and stuff but i figured i'd either have a rocket only leave when the asteroid ran out of stuff or to send stuff railgun style to request it.  like send some lumber or rock to signal sending crap, like food or fuel, to somewhere.  while i truly hope we get some interplanetary wifi automation, there are backup ideas

Spoiler

i for one hope they finally release autopilot on rockets and/or make loading/unloading simpler, i'd like it if there was just 2 buildings, one for loading and one for unloading with all ports attached to each so i don't have to figure out why a rocket isn't loading or unloading, like when you try to load a rocket and you still need a rail/pipe on the output so it doesn't load

3 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

@pether I think this water use case can easily be solved by hooking up the water supply (reservoir, hydro sensor) to an automated notifier, which will let you know which colonies are low on water / fuel / whatever before the disaster happens.

In fact, I really like this example because it highlights the importance of careful planning and foresight, without locking you into a single best solution – as opposed to having 7 platforms on the water planet with a wifi sensor next to each that hits the launch button when it needs to. :roll: And the same thing with niobium, isoresin and every other resource.

As you said, this water example is really nice because it "highlights the importance of careful planning and foresight". With the interplanetary automation, an ONI player could detect the low quantity of water in a planetoid, send a signal to a planetoid with a big amount of water, like the swampy cluster start,  activate the interplanetary launcher there, and send the amount of water needed. If an ONI player does that, he had the foresight to know that water would eventually end in that planetoid, and carefully planned a system to deal with that.

Also, this "wifi sensor" was not what we were talking about. We were simply suggesting interplanetary automation, that is, the ability to transfer automation signal between planetoids. It's not as simple as you think.

6 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

I'm the kind of guy who eschews a degree of automation for things like ranches, farms, and kitchens because I enjoy watching my ranchers, farmers, and cooks do their thing.  Playing like this makes my dupes feel like actual colonists.  But through meticulous planning and liberal use of sensors, door permissions, and task management, my dupes will continue doing their thing even without my hand to guide them.  I can leave my colony running over night, and my ranchers, farmers, and cooks will continue ranching, farming, and cooking when they're supposed to do so.

So even if they don't have automation ports in the base of their skulls, dupes can be automated.  And because this has been true for a long time, the game is already an afk game for players who want to run their colonies in such a manner.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Personally, I would prefer to just have a way to send automation signals from one planetoid to another. Maybe a special building-pair with a 4x input ribbon and a 4x output ribbon and you can select which other planetoid to connect the automation signals with. Of course that should at least work from the starting planetoid to all others at the same time (with one max on the other planetoid and multiples on the starting one). This could be a "signal master station" on the starting planetoid with selection of the target and a passive "signal satellite station" with no selection possibility on the other planetoids.

I think it an be simplified. Just put an antenna that gets a ribbon input. Each input signal has it`s own frequency channel (lets say 1-10). Then we get a reciever 1x1 building that can be put anywhere and set to the proper frequency. This makes multiple recievers work on a single frequency and they an be put on different planetoids (including the one with the antenna) as well as inside rockets.

Just the sender antenna needs to be xposed to space. Recievers can be put anywhere.

15 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I think it an be simplified. Just put an antenna that gets a ribbon input. Each input signal has it`s own frequency channel (lets say 1-10). Then we get a reciever 1x1 building that can be put anywhere and set to the proper frequency. This makes multiple recievers work on a single frequency and they an be put on different planetoids (including the one with the antenna) as well as inside rockets.

Just the sender antenna needs to be xposed to space. Recievers can be put anywhere.

I like the idea. Or just have a sender building that can be configured to send on frequency, say, 1-16 and a receiver building that can do the same. I would require both sender and receiver to be in space, but that is a matter of taste.

8 hours ago, TuxSam123 said:

As you said, this water example is really nice because it "highlights the importance of careful planning and foresight". With the interplanetary automation, an ONI player could detect the low quantity of water in a planetoid, send a signal to a planetoid with a big amount of water, like the swampy cluster start,  activate the interplanetary launcher there, and send the amount of water needed. If an ONI player does that, he had the foresight to know that water would eventually end in that planetoid, and carefully planned a system to deal with that.

Also, this "wifi sensor" was not what we were talking about. We were simply suggesting interplanetary automation, that is, the ability to transfer automation signal between planetoids. It's not as simple as you think.

By WiFi sensor I meant an antenna. 

Am I misunderstanding or do you want an interplanetary launcher that automatically beams towards wherever it last received a signal from?

5 hours ago, MiniDeathStar said:

By WiFi sensor I meant an antenna. 

Am I misunderstanding or do you want an interplanetary launcher that automatically beams towards wherever it last received a signal from?

Yes, you are. What i meant to say was, an interplanetary launcher, which was previously configured to launch resources to a planetoid, would receive an automation signal and launch x amount of items there

1 hour ago, TuxSam123 said:

Yes, you are. What i meant to say was, an interplanetary launcher, which was previously configured to launch resources to a planetoid, would receive an automation signal and launch x amount of items there

Hmm. How would that work with mixed supplies of items?

One thing to note about my example is that the Interplanetary Launcher wouldn't have that automation included. Instead the player would have to build it.

5 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Hmm. How would that work with mixed supplies of items?

It depends. If you are talking about sending matter (liquids, gases and solids) together, the Payload Unloader automatically filters them for you. If you are talking about different types of item together (water, pwater, and brine), we would have to build a filtration station to separate them individually. 

7 minutes ago, MiniDeathStar said:

And what happens if the launcher receives a second signal while it's still processing the first? Do they get queued or interrupted? If they get queued, how does it work exactly?

The more I think about this suggestion, the worse it feels to me.

That's an issue you'd figure out with automation. Just being able to transfer signals from one planet to another is what the suggestion being proposed here is. Once there's a way for planets to communicate with each other, whether through a single bit or 4 bits, there's a way to automate some resource transfer.

Personally, for interplanetary automation I would hope that there's a transmitter and a receiver, and the transmitter has the option to select the destination planetoid and destination receiver similarly to how Rockets can select their destination landing pad.

Archived