what to do in summer other than cave exploration?

20210410171520_1.thumb.jpg.1b07f91a9de24dabff11db606ea5450f.jpg

so basically i kinda did some caving and beat antlion and went to the ruins and all that typical summer stuff.however i ended up having extra 7 days on summer and im not sure how to spend them.i started a farm for dragonfruit since they are more common in summer but that kinda takes a while so i was spinning around the fire when it hit me to ask the internet so here we are.

(here's a picture of my base with Abigail uwu)

24 minutes ago, bagherthegamer said:

i ended up having extra 7 days on summer and im not sure how to spend them.

I'm so sorry but this reminded me of Phineas and Ferb. Maybe you could attempt some whacky experiments during the remaining days of summer? :wilson_ecstatic:

On a more serious note, you can take advantage of the longer days and capture some bees and butterflies for bee boxes if you don't have them set up yet.

I legit have no issues with summer, I once played a map where you had 6 days of Autumn followed by a grueling

“longest summer ever” Theres not much to do in Summer, there’s some new things that Klei has added such as Seaweed Barnacle that changes with each Season, Skittersquid- Which come to the surface and roam land more often during Summer, Cactus Flower grow on desert Cactus, (you need this to fully upgrade pearls home) Antlion sinkholes, intense bouts of Overheating, and of course... Summer Wildfires.

The idea of this world I created was to have 6 days to gather everything you may need for what would be literal hell on earth, things will go up in flames.. cute little rabbits will get so hot they explode, the ground beneath your feet will collapse.. it’s meant to be a challenge..

But not everyone likes summer or it’s challenges: Personally I wish it had more content, more mobs with fire abilities, such as a Magmatic Spider that vomits Lava Pools which I guess would be similar to Klaus and his deers but.. yeah.

Really hopeful Webber’s refresh adds new types of Spiders, snow, poison, magmatic.

His Magmatic skin set makes me wish those types of spiders spawn in Summer to give it more unique content... But outside of wishful hopes for Better summer content,

Summers kinda boring and lacking in content to be honest :( 

46 minutes ago, saintclover said:

when I'm bored, I will usually clean up my base a lil (get rid of some junk, organize the chests, maybe build some more, yada yada)

no offence but take the hint

I get what youre trying to say but my base is'nt messy, it's just an acurate recreation of my room in real life. 

Thank you all for the suggestions btw. 

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Seaweed Barnacle that changes with each Season

how they change? i almost know nothing about them

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Skittersquid- Which come to the surface and roam land more often during Summer

many times people said that this isnt a thing. Why keep saying it?

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

it’s meant to be a challenge..

in rog was meant to be a challenge with dragonfly as seasonal boss instead of antlion... i wish they add more stuff

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Seaweed Barnacle that changes with each Season

That's not a thing and it has never been a thing.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Skittersquid- Which come to the surface and roam land more often during Summer

That's not a thing either and it also has never been a thing. More importantly, several people have already told that this is not a thing, so why are you going around spreading that same misinformation all over again?

As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure you've said that barnacle thing and been corrected about it too, so that makes 2 lies in one post.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Sea_Weed

either the Wiki lies.. or you guys just like trolling me, these things change color based on the season- being Yellow in Summer, White in Winter & purple outside of it.

I don’t think they have any special attacks or do anything any different, they just change in appearance.

As for Skittersquid: I can only speak for my own personal worlds where they most certainly DO Invade my base (and in large groups) during summer season.

Maybe it’s the way the game is programmed on Xbox One doing it? Heck if I know... I just know I could go right this second and start a game stream of me playing through each season and guarantee my base neighbors show up in Summer.

Not only does it happen in the game, but it also makes sense that it would happen.. the ocean waters are too hot so they hop on surface and roam about cooling off before returning to the literal boiling waters.

now to clarify when I say they come to the surface I don’t mean that they roam the fricking map or set up a camp somewhere like pengul.. 

They simply hop on land, move about a bit and then jump back into the Waters unless attacked.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

either the Wiki lies.. or you guys just like trolling me, these things change color based on the season- being Yellow in Summer, White in Winter & purple outside of it.

Uh, the wiki can be pretty misinformative at time, but I dont see anything here that says they change with season, and I can confirm they dont.

They're just different varieties, not different forms with each season.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

As for Skittersquid: I can only speak for my own personal worlds where they most certainly DO Invade my base (and in large groups) during summer season.

I feel this might just be coincidence on your part, the skittersquid spawning depends on the moon cycle (Most plentiful on new moon, least plentiful spawning on full moon) Nothing else should affect their spawning.

7 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

so basically i kinda did some caving and beat antlion and went to the ruins and all that typical summer stuff.however i ended up having extra 7 days on summer and im not sure how to spend them.i started a farm for dragonfruit since they are more common in summer but that kinda takes a while so i was spinning around the fire when it hit me to ask the internet so here we are.

I would personally tame a beefalo. Summer is the best time to tame them (the following mating season comes 5 days into autumn, and for only 3 days) and they can be pretty handy, especially with the variety of buffs they received recently. If I'm not willing to do that, I would go sailing. I would love to get my hands on a Scorching Sunfish - having a few of them makes the cold a non-issue while sailing during winter and if I get a heavy one I can trade it for a heavy weighted lure sketch from the Crabby Hermit.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think they have any special attacks or do anything any different, they just change in appearance.

They don't change color, they're just born a specific color. And the colors do actually have different attributes. Yellow attacks faster, purple ones do the pollen thing more often and white ones spawn spittlefish more often (assuming the wiki has correct information.) It says so in the wiki page itself.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe it’s the way the game is programmed on Xbox One doing it? Heck if I know... I just know I could go right this second and start a game stream of me playing through each season and guarantee my base neighbors show up in Summer.

Not only does it happen in the game, but it also makes sense that it would happen.. the ocean waters are too hot so they hop on surface and roam about cooling off before returning to the literal boiling waters.

now to clarify when I say they come to the surface I don’t mean that they roam the fricking map or set up a camp somewhere like pengul.. 

They simply hop on land, move about a bit and then jump back into the Waters unless attacked.

I've had them wander the ocean during any time of the year - I don't think it's specifically related to the season. There's nothing in the code making them more likely to get out of the water during summer... and plus, why would they want to *escape* the water during summer? They'd dry to a crisp in the summer heat without the moisture of the ocean. There's many animals IRL that will look for water when it's hot to cool themselves.

7 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

(here's a picture of my base with Abigail uwu)

I personally turn Wildfires off, so I can keep working on my base without worrying about them. But before we had the option to turn them off post-world gen, I had taken up the habit of sailing throughout summer. When you are out at sea, any smoldering is practically guaranteed to start on your boat, which means you can easily stop it before it turns into a full-blown fire. You can swap Thermal Stones in and out of an Ice Box to stay cool without worry and you can fish and hunt treasures, which could even net you another batch of ruins loot.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That link you posted doesn't have so much as a single syllable to imply sea weeds change with season. You're supposed to read the text, not just look at the pretty pictures. :P

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The only way Skittersquids could be so different on the Xbox One version of the game is if the devs had gone out of their way to deliberately program that change. And since there's no reason for them to arbitrarily change some random mob's AI just for a console port, I think it's safe to assume that no, it's not because of the way the game is programmed on Xbox One. You are just experiencing a coincidence and you are looking way too deep into it.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, between trusting 2+ people who have read the code that defines how Skittersquids behave without an ounce of ambiguity and trusting... your gut feeling, you should trust the 2+ people who have read the code. Trying to help people with false information doesn't actually, you know, help them.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

in rog was meant to be a challenge with dragonfly as seasonal boss instead of antlion... i wish they add more stuff

The "challenge" of RoG is overstated. Yeah, you had a 66% to have Dragonfly come after you. But you could also feed her 20 Ashes and move two screens away and she'd despawn. So, at the end of the day, Dragonfly was just as optional as she is in DST. You just occasionally had to take a 2 minute detour to get rid of her.

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Either the Wiki lies.. or you guys just like trolling me, these things change color based on the season- being Yellow in Summer, White in Winter & purple outside of it.

Or maybe people are telling you the truth despite not liking you.

12 minutes ago, kuroite said:

Getting some Scorching Sunfish, it could help for future winter.

I was about to say general fishing! After fall it's better in summer since it can rain in spring and snow in winter decreasing the chance of fishes to take the hook. Just camp some lobsters and keep them in the tin fishin' bin until you need 'em. 

10 hours ago, Electroely said:

I would love to get my hands on a Scorching Sunfish -

9 hours ago, kuroite said:

Getting some Scorching Sunfish, it could help for future winter.

9 hours ago, DelroyBM said:

I was about to say general fishing! After fall it's better in summer since it can rain in spring and snow in winter decreasing the chance of fishes to take the hook. Just camp some lobsters and keep them in the tin fishin' bin until you need 'em. 

I actually have a fire nettle in my farm. (the weed that overheats you when you get stung by it) and i was wondering if i could use it in winter. 

If i can use it in winter then i dont think i would ever need a fire again. XD

8 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

I actually have a fire nettle in my farm. (the weed that overheats you when you get stung by it) and i was wondering if i could use it in winter. 

Not very effective imo. Touching them damages you by 6 points, and eating it damages you by a whopping 20 points. And you have to make a farm plot in order to grow Fire Nettles unless you are Wormwood. Fire Nettles can be useful, but only on desperate situation where you can't burn anything and you are freezing. Thermal stones are still better, minus the durability.

8 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

I actually think the fire nettles are a great source of heat in the winter, though if I'm bored I'd still go for sunfish since they can follow me onto a boat (which nettles cannot.) Would also give me a reason to go sailing and collect bottles.

26 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

Not very effective imo. Touching them damages you by 6 points, and eating it damages you by a whopping 20 points. And you have to make a farm plot in order to grow Fire Nettles unless you are Wormwood. Fire Nettles can be useful, but only on desperate situation where you can't burn anything and you are freezing. Thermal stones are still better, minus the durability.

I disagree, at least for planted nettles. The 6 damage is affected by armor (and beefalo will take all of it), so its barely noticeable if you just have one in your base that you touch whenever you're passing by and combined with a winter hat or better, the heat from that nettle sting usually lasts a good while.

Archived