Now my WX Rework was kinda garbage, but I have some ideas for this one actually. Not all these ideas came from me and me alone, some ideas were repurposed from other people, I will give credit where credit is due though.

Portable Sci Machine and Alc Engine: Original Concept by @xxXolot

As You read, the original concept for this was from @xxXolot and I love it. Wilson would start with a portable science station and can place it down, similarly to Warly's crockpot, it could look slightly different to differentiate it from a normal Sci machine, and can only be used by wilson. It would have an icon on the map, allowing dum dums to find it again if they accidentally leave it somewhere. They could craft a portable alc engine when they wanna take it to the next level requiring a portable sci machine to craft. Wilson is meant to be the starting character to start new players into the world of Don't Starve without confusing them with crazy character perks and downsides, like a ghost sister, being able to only eat certain foods, being a monster, as a wortox main even when I'm not playing Wortox, webber, wurt, and wormwood (is he a monster?), I always feel tense when I go around a pig, ready for it to chase me despite knowing it won't unless I spank it first. Wilson also teaches noobies about season changes, his beard giving you build in insulation for the coming winter, and the beard hair allowing you to create a unique form of resurrection. This should teach newbies how to prototype things.

Being able to craft Mad Science Lab year round: I forgot who said this

While this seems minor, it's pretty useful, allowing players to create infinite living logs with one experiment, give health, hunger, and sanity over time with another, and turn things into their lunar counterparts with another. This is really useful and Wilson Himself gives off a mad scientist vibe especially since his hallowed nights skin is a mad scientist. Maybe even give Wilson some exclusive experiments using the Mad Science Lab

Some Sort of Shadow magic or something like that:

Wilson Was on the nightmare throne before the events of DST, and Charlie releases him to take his place, surely his time on the nightmare throne affected him in some way, I mean look at Maxwell's vignette quote: "Maxwell's extended reign on the nightmare throne in ways we have yet to understand..." Now I don't expect him to be able to do things like split his mind or create things out of thin air, he wasn't on there nearly as long as maxwell. Perhaps some unique thing could happen when he goes insane, perhaps like @Mike23Ua suggested, beard hair on screen of an insane wilson player could turn into a beardling, or even a beardlord in the caves, due to beard hair dropping from them frequently. Idk how long Wilson was one the nightmare throne, maybe a couple months to a couple years, but it doesn't make sense that even if he was on there for 2 days he didn't change at all compared to maxwell.

Wilson is a pretty basic character, and he should stay that way, most of these changes are either lore relevant or do something to help new and existing players play DST, Wilson's rework shouldn't add much, if it happens at all (I say after suggesting a portable sci and alc station, shadow magic and Mad Sci lab year round). While I don't necessarily think that this is the only way they could do a Wilson rework, far from it, most of my ideas were modified ideas of other people. IF Klei decides to do a rework of Wilson, we have to respect the choices they make and the changes Wilson succumbs to, even though some people's updates were kinda lackluster and could've been better *gestures to Wigfrid's Character Refresh*, I'm fine with what we got for the MOST part, but we can cover my opinion on certain character refreshes in another topic.

I hope you like these concepts despite them basically being other peoples' and that you can provide more ideas for what they could do with Wilson in the commments.

I appreciate the credit! Although...

3 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

it could look slightly different to differentiate it from a normal Sci machine, and can only be used by wilson.

Considering my original suggestion, If we are to give him such perk, I specifically want Wilson’s Portable Science Station / Alchemy Engine to be usable by anyone, but can only be carried / disassemble by Wilson.
The major part for this suggestion from the very beginning was because I really think Wilson need to be able to somewhat support his friend other than his very situational beard material in limited quantity early game.

Because unlike Warly’s stations, this is not a medium that is able to output unique craft, this thing is really only useful for learning the recipe the first time, then you get to craft it freely for the rest of game. If he couldn’t even help other prototype, then in my opinion it’s not a perk that make Wilson uniquely helpful for multiplayer. Heck, even helping people prototype on spot is kind of pretty niche already.

23 minutes ago, xxXolot said:

I appreciate the credit! Although...

Considering my original suggestion, If we are to give him such perk, I specifically want Wilson’s Portable Science Station / Alchemy Engine to be usable by anyone, but can only be carried / disassemble by Wilson.
The major part for this suggestion from the very beginning was because I really think Wilson need to be able to somewhat support his friend other than his very situational beard material in limited quantity early game.

Because unlike Warly’s stations, this is not a medium that is able to output unique craft, this thing is really only useful for learning the recipe the first time, then you get to craft it freely for the rest of game. If he couldn’t even help other prototype, then in my opinion it’s not a perk that make Wilson uniquely helpful for multiplayer. Heck, even helping people prototype on spot is kind of pretty niche already.

doesnt this take away from wickerbottom though? she already has an unlocked tier1 science

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

doesnt this take away from wickerbottom though? she already has an unlocked tier1 science

Yea this is a real issue, like I do enjoy wilson being:

1. simple
  2. easy to survive with

With wickerbottom shes a tad tougher to play with her drawbacks, and her knowing things off the top of her head make sense. But it also makes sense for wilson to know things, of all the "smart" characters (maxwell, wagstaff, wicker) wilson doesnt have any gimmick crafting, he cant do anything that no one else can..

So him just having wickerbottoms ability, but obfuscated through having to be at a crafting station just seems like its bad.

He could still have crafting based abilities without having to make anything new though, like tools made by wilson having extra durability, or being able to repair things at less of a cost- just a couple that Ive been thinking of.

it makes it easier for newer players and veterans have a reason to choose him over others without him making the game incredibly easy.

4 minutes ago, Maximum124 said:

Yea this is a real issue, like I do enjoy wilson being:

1. simple
  2. easy to survive with

With wickerbottom shes a tad tougher to play with her drawbacks, and her knowing things off the top of her head make sense. But it also makes sense for wilson to know things, of all the "smart" characters (maxwell, wagstaff, wicker) wilson doesnt have any gimmick crafting, he cant do anything that no one else can..

So him just having wickerbottoms ability, but obfuscated through having to be at a crafting station just seems like its bad.

He could still have crafting based abilities without having to make anything new though, like tools made by wilson having extra durability, or being able to repair things at less of a cost- just a couple that Ive been thinking of.

it makes it easier for newer players and veterans have a reason to choose him over others without him making the game incredibly easy.

well, he is a failure of a scientist and dabbles with the occult without really understanding the difference between the two(his skins and a few of his flavour texts and a portion of his shorts all convey this) but that doesnt really translate to repairing stuff and constructing new/better tools(winona's specialty) i think my issue is that wilson is the jack of all trades and the master of none. each of the specialties that could feasibly make him better without taking from his character are things other survivors already have in their kit. in the end it seems that instead of the comparison "x is just wilson but with y" it would just become "wilson is just a less good x" which is kind of the issue being put on unrefreshed chars they are wilson plus a thing so if wilson got that thing.... yeah

i think a bit of this is just that he is meant to be the anchor and the face. his stability is almost a decade past his creation so he really falls flat now that people have more expectations but he also is the baseline from which the others must start and so changing him changes every single character in a small but real way. his biggest problem is what his purpose limits him to be despite not really needing a character like him in the game we have

Wes’s rework gave the otherwise useless character some pretty decent useful stuff and yeah yeah whatever more useful items can be gotten later- But the point still remains they took a character that was absolutely pointless to even be in the game: And gave him a unique role with unique gameplay.

Now that Wes has seen this change: I expect nothing less from Wilson, currently at the time of this post WILSON is the NEW WES (useless character with no unique abilities or gameplay)

And in my mind that just doesn’t sit right... DST is a Direct SEQUEL to DS, at this point in time: Wilson has survived 5 randomly generated worlds and took forgiveness upon Maxwell trading places with him as prisoner to the nightmare throne.

Dont Starve Togethers starting screen Animation has Charlie show up to free a nightmare throne imprisoned Wilson.. the game is literally a direct sequel to DS & it’s high time it’s cast of characters got abilities and changes that reflects upon it being a Sequel.

And that’s not just my opinion: Klei seems to agree- just go read the Compendium description for The origins of Woodies Totems. Wickerbottom helped him control, contain & use his so called “curse” to his own advantages...

This right here: Is a continuation, a progression of a character, Woodie in DS had a scary uncontrollable curse that took over him, but in DST he’s learned to master that curse and unlock new cursed forms to use at his own disposal.

Wendys refresh was no different: she went from barely interacting with Abigail at all to being all about proper care & team work with her.

All reworks so far (including my least favorite Wigfrids..) Have shown actual character progress from who they were in DS to their learned experiences and new found powers of DST.

Thats the direction and focus the remaining 6 refreshes need to be driven towards.

I feel like Klei may have missed the Mark with Wigfrid because most people proclaimed she was fine as is and didn’t need any new content and actual progression further into who she is as a character.

Now that We know Klei’s intentions for her were to be an On Stage Musical Actress, her Stage Crafting scrolls do make sense.. it’s just nowhere near as fun as other refreshes.

Wilson: feels like a blank slab at this moment: No unique gameplay beyond a gimmicky beard, no real design direction or focus: Really his rework can be ANYTHING Klei wants it to be.

So I beg of ALL of you let’s not make another Wigfrid level mistake of “it’s fine enough as Is & doesn’t need changes.”

Lets make sure they get the progression and character development improvements they deserve.

And That’s pretty much all I have left to say.

Edit: Actually you know what let’s just say Wilson is a FAILED expiremental Scientist because he was always getting ONE Ingredient wrong in his concoctions, Which the same way Klei explained Wicker helping Woodie unlock his full potential they can easily write off Her noticing the ingredient Wilson’s potions were missing and helping him perfect them.

The TL:DR- His rework doesn’t have to be lazy, uninspiring and basic.

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

well, he is a failure of a scientist and dabbles with the occult without really understanding the difference between the two(his skins and a few of his flavour texts and a portion of his shorts all convey this) but that doesnt really translate to repairing stuff and constructing new/better tools(winona's specialty) i think my issue is that wilson is the jack of all trades and the master of none. each of the specialties that could feasibly make him better without taking from his character are things other survivors already have in their kit. in the end it seems that instead of the comparison "x is just wilson but with y" it would just become "wilson is just a less good x" which is kind of the issue being put on unrefreshed chars they are wilson plus a thing so if wilson got that thing.... yeah

i think a bit of this is just that he is meant to be the anchor and the face. his stability is almost a decade past his creation so he really falls flat now that people have more expectations but he also is the baseline from which the others must start and so changing him changes every single character in a small but real way. his biggest problem is what his purpose limits him to be despite not really needing a character like him in the game we have

Yeah you make a lot of good points, at the end of the day I just want something that fits him and makes him worth playing

5 hours ago, gaymime said:

In my opinion, it does not take away Wickerbottom’s perk, because it’s unique to each other in the following aspects:

1. Wicketbottom does not need to set down a machine for 1st tier craft, while Wilson does, and it takes a single inventory for Wilson.

2. Wickerbottom can pre-craft a unmovable science machine to prototype 2nd tier craft, while Wilson still need to build Alchemy Engine, upside is that it’s movable, so no resources is wasted and less inventory taken compared to Wickerbottom, assuming Wicker make pre-craft Science Machine every time to compensate for the movebility (TBH who would actually do that lol)

3. Wicker does not benefit friends to prototype with her knowledge unless she spend material to pre-craft the stations, while Wilson does with only a slot taken and minimal material.

the importance is that we are talking about prototyping, not the ability to craft itself.

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. Wilson is too cool to be ordinary. 

I don't have any ideas that fly to well with everyone. But I think he should have a method of bringing back extinct animals seeing as he has been in the constant for a very long time.

Maybe he can produce extra beard hair. Like his armpit and nose hair start growing out of control and down to his ankles. 

On a more serious note what if he could control his beard?

What if time on the throne gave his beard life?!

His beard would have to be maintained and kept clean. Otherwise it lashes out like slapping gear out of you hands. While a maintained beard will hold an extra tool and occasionally help out with mining/chopping, it will help you run faster, etc. A true gentleman beard! Essentially making him slightly better at everything (only slightly). Hes no longer default Wilson, he's super default Wilson!

Closest thing I could find to fit my idea. Hope you dont have a fear of eating beard hair!

55 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Maybe he can produce extra beard hair. Like his armpit and nose hair start growing out of control and down to his ankles. 

On a more serious note what if he could control his beard?

What if time on the throne gave his beard life?!

His beard would have to be maintained and kept clean. Otherwise it lashes out like slapping gear out of you hands. While a maintained beard will hold an extra tool and occasionally help out with mining/chopping, it will help you run faster, etc. A true gentleman beard! Essentially making him slightly better at everything (only slightly). Hes no longer default Wilson, he's super default Wilson!

Closest thing I could find to fit my idea. Hope you dont have a fear of eating beard hair!

Really good idea, have you ever suggested ideas for reworks before?

26 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

Really good idea, have you ever suggested ideas for reworks before?

A few here and there. Im really hesitant when it comes to making a whole post about it though. Mostly because I cant present an idea without really thinking it through and wasting a few hours on it. Which means a lot of work going to waste because Klei does its own thing in the end. Posting my idea as a comment feels like I can half-ass it though, haha.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

A few here and there. Im really hesitant when it comes to making a whole post about it though. Mostly because I cant present an idea without really thinking it through and wasting a few hours on it. Which means a lot of work going to waste because Klei does its own thing in the end. Posting my idea as a comment feels like I can half-ass it though, haha.

I'm a similar way.

but I actually go through with bullcrap posts

On 4/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, Dragolantis said:

Portable Sci Machine and Alc Engine: Original Concept by @xxXolot

Then great job, @xxXolot, because that is the first and only Wilson rework perk idea that I've liked and thought could actually be a good thing to add to the game instead of weird and unfitting for Wilson.

The mad science thing year-round is weird but I'm not exactly against it I guess, but that weird beard hair transformation thing is completely off-base.

23 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Then great job, @xxXolot, because that is the first and only Wilson rework perk idea that I've liked and thought could actually be a good thing to add to the game instead of weird and unfitting for Wilson.

The mad science thing year-round is weird but I'm not exactly against it I guess, but that weird beard hair transformation thing is completely off-base.

If you're talking about my idea, yeah its goofy, haha. I find Wilson is a goofy character what with him being a failed scientists and all. I do wish the was a way to "fix" his beard which just looks like a hobo beard. Also, remember that his hair is "magic" as it has the same properties as "other" beard hair; not to mention how fast it grows.

I just thought if we could "shape" his beard look like they can have whiskers that can be little hands/ hold stuff. Just look at this truly dapper beard. His beard is already comically the size of his body in the game. 

dave_mead_beard_competition_05.thumb.jpg.8c865d084c3f3c7c34d75f05791984cf.jpg

Maybe he can just stick stuff in it, like when you save food crumbs in your beard for later lmao. I think with wes' rework we follow the pattern that a characters establish perks can be polished a bit more.

That would be cool, but then what happens to the items when you shave

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

I just thought if we could "shape" his beard look like they can have whiskers that can be little hands/ hold stuff. Just look at this truly dapper beard. His beard is already comically the size of his body in the game. 

dave_mead_beard_competition_05.thumb.jpg.8c865d084c3f3c7c34d75f05791984cf.jpg

Maybe he can just stick stuff in it, like when you save food crumbs in your beard for later lmao. I think with wes' rework we follow the pattern that a characters establish perks can be polished a bit more.

Trimmed, 1 item, 2nd stage (which Idr the name for) 2 items, magnificent stage, 4 items. Like a built in backpack u need to take off in summer, it's okay I guess

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

They fall on the floor I assume. His beard is just so iconic. I hope Klei does more with it.

That or you could get bonuses to food depending on your beard stage bc the crumbs get stuck in his beard lmao

Archived