Is Walter weak, or do I just not get him?

I'm nearing 600 hours of this game. I play with my friends exclusively. Most of the times I played Wickerbottom, I recognise she was overpowered when I started playing, which was before refreshes started to happen, but I liked that everyone had a role. Recently I've been playing with Warly and Wurt a lot, and I always had something that I can either do faster, or better. My impression on all the new characters and refreshes is that now everyone can do something better or faster.

I now decided to try out Walter. After about 40 days (granted, not much), I'm not impressed with him. He can collect more stuff when he ventures out (although he does need more food because of his low hunger for it), and he can get from point A to point B faster, but that's about all the upsides I found about him. I was hyped about using his slingshot, with or without Woby, but it's underwhelming even with Marble rounds. He is shooting so slowly I feel like it would just be better to use a hambat. Freezing rounds and slowdown rounds sound good, but not super useful in my opinion. I haven't used cursed rounds yet, but that doesn't sound too good either. I expected similar or better DPS if I invest in expensive ammo, but at this point I'd rather mass produce blowdart with any other character and play a better Walter that way. He doesn't even have sleep rounds to be useful against dragonfly.

Can he actually do anything way better than a Wilson can?

His slingshot offers a variety of utility options, such as taking aggro or killing stuff like birds and tentacles (particularly the tentacle pillars). Definitely don't expect it as a main DPS weapon; you can use it outside of cheesy situations where you just stand still and hold F (of which there are numerous), but killing something like BQ takes over half an hour.

Note that one freeze shot applies the equivalent of 2 ice staff hits. His alternate ammo types aren't very useful in general, though. I think most players use gold (birds), marble, cursed, and maybe some freeze. Poop pellets could have had some potential but they don't work on "bosses" and thus treeguards are immune...

His sanity management can be convenient at times, a hefty downside at others. If you use it correctly it can probably be very freeing.

But in general Walter seems to fall off late-game, and you seem to be at that point from your consideration of blowdarts. So maybe he's just not for you. Woby and the slingshot offer a decent amount of advantage early to mid game but when you get things set up, maybe tame a beefalo... yeah.

Not a Walter main, though, maybe one could offer better advice.

it's been a while since I last played him (got to about 500 days with him once) but let's see...  He can do all of these things easily without even losing any of his health point (and his sanity, if you care about that):

- Stun lock ancient guardian, dc and bearger

- Cheese klaus, ancient guardian

- farm nightmare fuel, butterflies, birds and bees and - by extension - krampi

- Get rid of all the tentacles in any world

He's just different, but tbh I don't think comparing any character to Wilson is fair to him. He's meant to be the beginner of all beginner characters, his lack of advantages is balanced out by his lack of disadvantages. Funnily enough I don't like playing as Wickerbottom, despite her popularity.

In my opinion, within the limited time frame I played him, he seemed like a more frail ranged Wilson. I don't mean that in a good way either. He has a lot cheese tactics that I can replace with a shootius, just a bit later than Walter.

I find him good at 2 things, rushing the marble statues for fuelweaver and late game chilling/base decorating. I don't enjoy playing him much outside of those 2 scenarios, but I didn't play him that much either.

He has some more uses if i think about it, he can have a very easy early shadow pieces fight too by killing lvl 3 knight on a boat, and he can farm birds and butterflies for early krampus lottery. Probably some more niche uses that I'm not aware of.

Freddo Films has similar view on this character - a big mashup of perks that do not create anyone specific. He is supposed to be pioneer, but what he has is some underwhelming slingshot, Beefaloo and Chester equivalent and the only interesting thing about him - he loses sanity when he gets hit. How are those things related to him being a pioneer? I don't know.

6 minutes ago, Roodmas said:

How do you cheese Klaus with him? I'm interested.

image.thumb.png.1854380c7cbff79650b17bf862591e5e.png

this is how I cheese klaus, with boat no krampus will spawn ...
if u block with lureplant also doable but it still spawn krampus :3

this cheese also work with blowdart and catapult

image.thumb.png.6ac574af38ee688bf5016f0b5d64cdcb.png

His slingshot is utility not dps. Woby is wonderful at all stages of the game for base building, mobility, and also storage. His lack of sanity drain from auras is actually quite useful if you don’t get hit but is balanced out where getting hit is punishing. So no, not remotely comparable to Wilson but then again nobody really is. Also having a smaller stomach doesn’t mean you need more food for a char :p

Hmm the one thing I got from this thread is that farming birds is definitely easier with him. So my idea of farming blowdarts on other characters may actually be the most feasable with Walter. So if I farm birds with slingshots, I can create blowdarts and sleep darts better with Walter than any other character.

I also haven't tried him against tentacles yet. Will try that

I steer away from cheesing bosses, so I won't use slingshots in those situations.

The reason I compare characters to Wilson is not to **** on him. If Wilson didn't exist, I would have instead asked "What can Walter do better/faster than any other character?". Because as I said in the OP, I like having a role I'm the best at in the team, and I just haven't found that with Walter as much as I did with Wickerbottom, Warly, and Wurt.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't expect the replies to be so helpful. I still think he could use a buff, but this bird idea gave me a project to work towards and actually feel like the character will be useful.

1 hour ago, Roodmas said:

How do you cheese Klaus with him? I'm interested.

All credits go to this youtuber

https://youtu.be/nrH-kuIOajM

Obviously killing him as normal is more fun but it gets boring and tedious after a while. Sometimes I just like pressing F then alt+f4 until he dies xD

And AG being AG, just get him stuck between abyss and he's as good as dead.

35 minutes ago, gbBaku said:

-snip-

Woby can be a life saver, since she always gets to you even when you die and get revive somewhere else - unlike Chester who can die so you must always babysit. Putting a tent and some emergency food in her may be a good idea for certain situations.

He's perfect as a cave dweller as well. Everyone can kite knights, his slingshot can stun lock rooks, and big Woby can help him avoid getting hit by bishops. If you're playing with others they can benefit from all the tams you're not using. As Walter my diet primarily consisted of pierogi (40 health) and jelly salad (50 sanity). He's not good at most boss fights if you're playing solo (like me), but he's a good team player.

His dps with his slingshot is low, but it has its use. He's quite a niche character and forces you to play differently, that's for sure. When I stopped playing with him it took me an embarrassing long time to remember it was perfectly acceptable to take hits or even tank.

As a Walter main, I can admit he is far from the most OP character. I have survived multiple +700 day worlds with him. And have faced every boss with him, even, his biggest nightmare, Bee Queen.

If you wish to face bosses, Bone Helm is a godsend if you get hit too much. I even use it a lot for general use. Going insane from hounds is easy, and protection against Nightmare Creatures is a lifesaver.

As for filling a role, Im usually the explorer and gatherer of uncommon resources (not rocks, logs, etc). Im the one finding Suspicious Marble and assembling them, explore caves and looking for Grotto/Ruins. Im the one who farms Nightmare Fuel and morsels. Im the one with the emergency supplies (sanity or healing food for others) and the "emergency mule". (Im also the one who deals with farming, but that has nothing to do with Walter.)

His immunity to insanity auras is game changing, by the way. I sometimes forget you are supposed to lose sanity naturally during nighttime. And not relying on Tams is a very nice change of pace.

I think Walter's ammunition should be upgraded, consistent with his "supposed" role as a glass cannon:

Poop Ammo -> 17 damage + AoE distraction.
Stone Ammo -> 34 damage. 
Gold Ammo -> 51 damage.
Marble Ammo -> 68 damage.
Freeze Ammo -> 68 damage + freeze.
Slowing Ammo -> 68 damage + slowing.
Thulecite Ammo -> 102 damage + probability to summon shadow tentacles.

image.png.47d692d5278774b1edbc964d0a54c6c4.png

To know more:

16 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Can someone please react to this reply to get me out of 666 reputation? Thanks in advance.

Just crop wigfrid's head on a cow with the caption: Moooooeat and post it on Maxwell memes, youll get like 30 likes.

As for everyone saying that he is good a gathering blowdarts:

The best method for gathering the best blowdart does not even include Walter at all.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

saffron feathers for electric darts. Blow darts are the ones made with winter birds feathers

Don't get technical :P

A blow dart is a weapon that is made up of a dart and a cylindrical vessel trough which the dart is blown. Basically, out of the 4 blow dart weapons the electric blow dart is the best one. Didn't think I had to explain that... 

4 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Just crop wigfrid head on a cow with the caption: Moooooeat and post it on Maxwell means, youll get like 30 likes.

As for everyone saying that he is good a gathering blowdarts:

The best method for gathering the best blowdart does not even include Walter at all.

Wouldn't you just want to do that fancy trick with wicker's book and the anenemies?

47 minutes ago, psychotwilight said:

Wouldn't you just want to do that fancy trick with wicker's book and the anenemies?

No because its like 90% chance to get a morsel that way. She can use the books to capture them in bird traps faster though.

Archived