New Update does not seem ready for Console at all

Is anyone on console actually having a good time with the new update? I've fuming after essentially losing all progress on everything I did since it came out.

Lag is extreme often to the point where the only way to progress is literally disconnecting and reconnecting. The opening chester and chests issue is also prevalent with all sorts of actions including picking things up off the ground.. character gets stuck in an infinite loop and you have to MASH circle repeatedly in a hope that you will get broken out of the loop (this sometimes takes a stupid amount of time). I even got stuck in a loop of attacking that I couldn't break against a Treeguard almost killing me (the game literally stopped me from kiting and just kept walking me back to the treeguard allowing it to just hit me over and over again.

This update has pretty much completely broken the game for me and seemingly others, is anyone on console not having EXTREME problems right now that make the game near unplayable?

I get that even I posted in a thread yesterday saying that I hope the update comes out sooner rather than later... but not like this. After losing such a HUGE amount of progress and losing all my saved world settings presets I sort of just don't even want to play right now... even though I have a stupid amount of stuff I need to redo (need to rebuild my ENTIRE carrat racing track.... I blocked several Klaus spawns... man I don't even want to think of what else I got done today..).

Klei please make it a priority to fix the game on console as it is in a HORRIBLE state right now.

I’ve also had problems in where the chests would bug out and close & open in a loop, in another time when I was cooking my character was sliding down in land to the ocean, dropping a item seemed to fix it both times. I believe since it is still in beta there is lots to work with, but I’m still happy about all the changes.

I am having the exact same issues with this new update. This update seemingly has ruined the game. All of my saves are gone  starting new worlds don't save at all. Splitscreen doesnt work whatsoever. I get stuck in chests constantly in single player.

My first post here. Not sure what happened but I cannot play on my Xbox Series X at all. I can't reach any servers. The servers list is empty. I can't add a second player as it always shows offline. My daughter on Xbox One upstairs is ok, so it must be the next gen console update crash. 

6 hours ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

Playing alone I have had absolutely none of these problems. Or any for the matter. Maybe it’s because my base isn’t really developed and there isn’t too much going on? Good heads up though, hopefully they can squish them.

I am very jealous haha, I don't want to play until we get another update as I'm worried I'll just lose any progress and waste my time again which would just be ridiculous. 

Klei can you please patch and fix console ASAP? With how bad things are right now it need to come sooner rather than later.

PS4.  The game is unplayable.  The character will constantly try to open a fridge, or attack a creature, which is several squares away, even while I'm fighting with the control to move in the other direction.  I can't figure out any pattern to it, but it does not appear to have anything to do with target locking.  I really don't know the underlying code, but there may be some race condition with the controller interaction.  Just guessing.

• Developer

I'm sorry about the issues in the current build. We're currently working on 2 updates to address them

The first update (PS4 2.07, xbox 1.1.82) is being tested and will hopefully be released later tonight depending on how cert goes. It will address some crashes, some issues with the new world settings, and the skins filter. On xbox it will also fix the splitscreen/offline problem.

The second update (PS4 2.08, xbox 1.1.83) is being put together but won't get to testing or certification until early next week. This will include the fix for the actions repeating/character sliding, which also looks like lag in a lot of your worlds. It will also fix some more issues with the world settings (including changing rain) and some more crashes. I had hoped to include the repeating/sliding fix in the next update but it wasn't fixed until earlier today and including it would have held up any updates until next week.

@GelatinousCube Regarding your loss progress today, that's a separate issue that I've been trying to track down for a while now but haven't been able to fix yet as it's rare and I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce it consistently. I'm continuing to look into it.

2 minutes ago, CharlesB said:

I had hoped to include the repeating/sliding fix in the next update but it wasn't fixed until earlier today and including it would have held up any updates until next week.

Unfortunate but very glad a fix is in the works for this!!

3 minutes ago, CharlesB said:

@GelatinousCube Regarding your loss progress today, that's a separate issue that I've been trying to track down for a while now but haven't been able to fix yet as it's rare and I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce it consistently. I'm continuing to look into it.

Yeah just so frustrating that it happened on the day of the update as well =( So much lost progress.. glad I've never encountered this before as it's a real motivation killer.

Thanks for continuing to investigate!

7 minutes ago, CharlesB said:

I'm sorry about the issues in the current build. We're currently working on 2 updates to address them

The first update (PS4 2.07, xbox 1.1.82) is being tested and will hopefully be released later tonight depending on how cert goes. It will address some crashes, some issues with the new world settings, and the skins filter. On xbox it will also fix the splitscreen/offline problem.

The second update (PS4 2.08, xbox 1.1.83) is being put together but won't get to testing or certification until early next week. This will include the fix for the actions repeating/character sliding, which also looks like lag in a lot of your worlds. It will also fix some more issues with the world settings (including changing rain) and some more crashes. I had hoped to include the repeating/sliding fix in the next update but it wasn't fixed until earlier today and including it would have held up any updates until next week.

Hey Charles, 

The new settings are great and I’m sure the issues will be ironed out. With ps5 here, any chance ps5 and ps4 players will finally get bigger worlds? 

Love all you guys do, one of the best games on any system.

• Developer
16 minutes ago, SaphironX said:

Hey Charles, 

The new settings are great and I’m sure the issues will be ironed out. With ps5 here, any chance ps5 and ps4 players will finally get bigger worlds? 

Love all you guys do, one of the best games on any system.

Unfortunately not. The PS4 simply can't handle larger worlds without significant amounts of lag. The PS5 could, but Sony has rules about games offering the same features on both PS4 and PS5 if they're running in backward compatibility mode. We aren't allowed to only offer that setting if we detect that the game is running on PS5. The only solution is to have a separate PS5 version of the game offering this and other PS5 enhancements. We'd like to be able to do this but as you can imagine porting the game to a new system is a lot of work and time so it wouldn't be anytime soon.

1 hour ago, CharlesB said:

Unfortunately not. The PS4 simply can't handle larger worlds without significant amounts of lag. The PS5 could, but Sony has rules about games offering the same features on both PS4 and PS5 if they're running in backward compatibility mode. We aren't allowed to only offer that setting if we detect that the game is running on PS5. The only solution is to have a separate PS5 version of the game offering this and other PS5 enhancements. We'd like to be able to do this but as you can imagine porting the game to a new system is a lot of work and time so it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Thank You @CharlesB because this was getting annoying :lol:

Oh man, it's good to see that I'm not the only one in this boat.

I've been playing with my girlfriend on couch co-op for the past couple of days and today after performing a server rollback on the new update on an existing world, the game has logged me in as a new player. The world properties are still there and my base is still intact, but I've been given the character selection screen.

In addition, I accidentally joined the world (which was originally set to Offline due to the fact my girlfriend doesn't have access to PS Plus) whilst I was Online and now the world has for some odd reason set itself to Online only, meaning that I can no longer play with my girlfriend because every time I try to add her into the game, it tells me I can't play that world offline and to go online...

I really hope that there's a fix coming soon because we spent quite a while on this world...

10 hours ago, iPwnJ00 said:

Oh man, it's good to see that I'm not the only one in this boat.

I've been playing with my girlfriend on couch co-op for the past couple of days and today after performing a server rollback on the new update on an existing world, the game has logged me in as a new player. The world properties are still there and my base is still intact, but I've been given the character selection screen.

In addition, I accidentally joined the world (which was originally set to Offline due to the fact my girlfriend doesn't have access to PS Plus) whilst I was Online and now the world has for some odd reason set itself to Online only, meaning that I can no longer play with my girlfriend because every time I try to add her into the game, it tells me I can't play that world offline and to go online...

I really hope that there's a fix coming soon because we spent quite a while on this world...

I had the same problem! I made a rollback and my world regenerated

On 3/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, CharlesB said:

I'll gladly buy the game again on the PS5. :) 

21 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Lots of scary reports of worlds regenerating or inventories being lost

I'm not sure about the case of worlds being lost, but inventories being deleted is usually because the game can't figure out you own a DLC character if you are playing as said DLC character (usually because of a poor internet connection) and failing to do so will make you hard despawn, forcing you to lose your map, recipes, days survived, inventory and pretty much everything related to your player data on the server.

It's an issue that is pretty rare on PC, but does occur occasionally. I have no idea how it occurs on console though.

Just wanted to update this thread and say that almost everything on ps4 is fixed now for me and the game is in a far better state, I've been loving the new update recently. 

Only things that still seem bugged for me personally is that pig guardians aren't respawning and spider queens don't seem to be spawning either. Everything else including the killer lag, opening chests etc bugs are fixed. 

Archived