Why arent the Pliers part of the game yet?

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m not familiar with mods.What do the pliers do?

They let you cut wires or pipes, and reconnect them, without dupe interaction. So basically "cheating" if that even makes sense in a single player game.

For example it allows you to snip a pipe and then lead a single blob somewhere else. Something that otherwise takes careful planning to do.

Or another example would be that you screwed up some connection in a build before sealing it up, the snipping tool then in many cases allows you to correct that mistake without opening up the build again. 

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

They let you cut wires or pipes, and reconnect them, without dupe interaction. So basically "cheating" if that even makes sense in a single player game.

To be clear, you can connect adjacent wires/pipes without dupe interaction even without the Pliers mod, it's just difficult to get to a state where you want to do that w/o Pliers.

Pliers give you the reverse, severing unwanted connections, which is super useful when rerouting wires/pipes as the current ux can make it very difficult to get them to connect in exactly the directions you want connected.

Sure, it does make the game a little easier as you can turn off equipment w/o using switches by severing incoming power or resources, but it is such a huge QoL improvement, it's basically the only mod I would consider "must have".

Looks like some people don`t like the instant nature of it. I like the idea of severing connection without having to sit and watch the dupe deconstruct the pipe just to order a build again (like replacing wire bridges), it also prevents leaking.

How about a middle gorund. Give us pliers but a dupe is needed to do the operation (connecting remains instant).

Just now, Sasza22 said:

How about a middle gorund. Give us pliers but a dupe is needed to do the operation (connecting remains instant).

I'd prefer it if that was the way it worked both ways.

Too many times have I accidentally connected together two things that shouldn't be; getting rid of the instant nature of it would give me time to correct myself.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

How about a middle ground. Give us pliers but a dupe is needed to do the operation (connecting remains instant).

7 hours ago, Yunru said:

I'd prefer it if that was the way it worked both ways.

Too many times have I accidentally connected together two things that shouldn't be; getting rid of the instant nature of it would give me time to correct myself.

7 hours ago, VPDownunder said:

Or just having it as an option so the player can choose to use it or not.

I agree. Having this middle-ground functionality (Pliers with Dup interaction for connecting + disconnecting) as an option would be perfect. I also would prefer this.

18 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Yeah, in most cases dupe interaction would be perfectly fine. For me the main advantage over vanilla isn't that it doesn't require dupes, but that you don't have to deconstruct a pipe segment that contains something. So you don't get a mess when you rearrange something

15 hours ago, Racso5 said:

I agree. Having this middle-ground functionality (Pliers with Dup interaction for connecting + disconnecting) as an option would be perfect. I also would prefer this.

My suggestion a while back was a skill like plumbing. So until it’s unlocked connections function as is, once you have the skill a dupe can/must perform the task.

On 2/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, Pyrex042 said:

which is super useful when rerouting wires/pipes as the current ux can make it very difficult to get them to connect in exactly the directions you want connected.

I'm with you.  Sometimes it's simpler to just reset the entire colony. :)  

"NO!!!  My kid tapped my arm while I was laying pipes. Now my liquids have crossed paths, and I can't fix it unless I deconstruct the entire build... Time to start a new colony."

On a more serious note, as @Saturnus mentioned, you can achieve many of the same functionalities that you get with pliers by careful planning.  But it's a pain and just not fun to do after a few times.  Same with the simple pip planting rules.  Yes, I can build a nice natural farm by making my own tiles in lots of legitimate ways.  But anyone who has taken the time to do this at great lengths knows the pain.  In steps another useful mod. 

I do find the inconsistency of the current system to be my biggest complaint.  If we can insta connect, why not insta break?  In the end, the devs made a choice, and I get to make my choice to include pliers.  I probably won't play without it.   

I can just guess, but i think they did not have found a way to implement that in a good fashion yet. 

I tried pliers, and it hurts my performance. So i guess, it scans the wire/pipe network so it can make the cuts. Thats lots of calculations. 

I´m not sure if its the way the mod works. All i can say for sure is, its bad for my framerate. 

Great that great mods are around - I find it the greatest that Mario & Luigi build the actual great pipes, thats the ever greatest for me.

Not having the builders build is, for me, like playing in the sandbox editor - The editor is also super great, but playing without is the ultimate greatness for me.

image.png.b04b40a6963222df808afe9a12c7fb13.pngimage.thumb.png.74300bbf58fab51017b2afd8740f4137.pngimage.thumb.png.e49faffc3c4146e7a638584499e4c7cc.png

@Lbphero I found a princess for you :p

Archived