Add purchasable "alternative" walking/running animations

The current animation is so goofy, It greatly pains me to look at it. Now I know I will immediately perturb the purists so I have a bit of a solution: purchasable walking "alternatives". They can be thematic! Your killer new look will say: "Wow, Im hot stuff!" And you will have the strut to follow suit! It will no longer say: "Wow, I just emerged from the womb and learned to walk 5 seconds ago!"

Now before you roll your eyes... Think of the possibilities!

1. Shadow hands passing you along, standing still! Add a T pose and assert you dominance!

2. Marching. Communistic marching band now included!

3. Wow! Wow! Wow!

Disclaimer: I use triumphant wormwood and he does NOT walk the talk! (Or is it talk the walk...)

Edit: Guess I need to add that I am exaggerating with my examples. Not sure how it went over some peoples head.

Honestly I'm not sure. I really like the doofy run, I've gotten used to it.

Making anims is a bit of a task, I can't imagine how costly new run anims would be. Would they also need another set for slow walking when you're groggy?
Would they be something you earn/buy? Seems a bit game-y. 

Though I guess execution would be important, I'd be highly interested in having more anims to look at.

The default running animation is wonderfully goofy (and canon since the Turn of Tides trailer!) and I wouldn't want it to go anywhere, but I'm all for having even more wacky skin types! "Skins" that actually change certain animations sound great, it'd be like emotes except they'd affect you even if you aren't near other players.

28 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Honestly I'm not sure. I really like the doofy run, I've gotten used to it.

Ah, but it will be glorious!

Making anims is a bit of a task, I can't imagine how costly new run anims would be. Would they also need another set for slow walking when you're groggy?
Would they be something you earn/buy? Seems a bit game-y. 

I am willing to pay! New characters are like 5 dollars? Perhaps they can be specific to a character to lower animation time investment? Like vines moving underneath wormwood while he does the sailing pose in shipwrecked!

Groggy is a status effect so I assume, no.  

Though I guess execution would be important, I'd be highly interested in having more anims to look at.

Yes! Let us T-pose together and assert dominance throughout the world! 

16 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

The default running animation is wonderfully goofy (and canon since the Turn of Tides trailer!) and I wouldn't want it to go anywhere, but I'm all for having even more wacky skin types! "Skins" that actually change certain animations sound great, it'd be like emotes except they'd affect you even if you aren't near other players.

So i just saw the trailer and It doesn't quite look the same... When we get a top side view his feet are running like a normal person would. His initial run is similar but they don't quite go all they way up to their shoulders like they do in-game.

I get what you mean though. It definitely has a timeless charm to it.

Not sure about having it tied to a skin... As It would be harder to mix-n-match. Also buyers may like the skin but not the walk... 

Seeing as klei enjoys letting us personalise out characters to promote diversity, it may be a worthy undertaking! 

Guild Wars 2 has an option to disable playermodels and replace them all with a preset generic one because they kept doing stuff like what you're saying and it pissed people off.

I don't know how you can find the goofy run animation upsetting but want to slide along t-posing.

How many walks exactly can you add that will fit the speed of characters? Marching isn't as quick. Saunter even less. The only thing that comes to mind is having characters swing their arms less while running. 

And what purpose? Just because something doesn't exactly fit how you would want it to be doesn't mean it's bad. I don't like how characters hold the walking cane, but I doubt anybody cares. 

2 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Bruh, if Klei added purchasable walking animations that'd be the moment I'd say that Tencent took over. 

...Why though? They'd definitely be weavable. We've already got character skins, item skins, pet skins, beard skins, portrait skins, emotes, emoticons, loading screen skins... Why would one more skin type be "Tencent" taking over??

14 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

These replies are so so weird to me in a game that has had purchasable cosmetics since before it even left early access.

I don't know why you can't see the difference between somebody's dark sword being a longsword instead of a scimitar and someone's walking animation being sliding around in a t-pose.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't know why you can't see the difference between somebody's dark sword being a longsword instead of a scimitar and someone's walking animation being sliding around in a t-pose.

I mean, isn't the T-pose part a joke? The OP here literally mentions that the default walking animation is too goofy, so I didn't think they were actually asking for a T-pose animation that would be 10x more goofy.

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I mean, isn't the T-pose part a joke? The OP here literally mentions that the default walking animation is too goofy, so I didn't think they were actually asking for a T-pose animation that would be 10x more goofy.

I don't know whether or not he said it as a joke but it doesn't matter because if literally t-posing wouldn't be reality something nearly as ridiculous would be. How many walking animations can you make that are different enough from the stock walking animation to be worth users paying a couple of bucks for it, worth the devs making the animation in the first place, and worth the devs making an entire system where you can purchase and replace animations without the animation looking ridiculous and horribly out of place? I can think of only a single one, one where your arms aren't flailing around. That's not a system that you pay money so the devs can add, that's a mod.

Not to mention the fact that walk animation replacements would probably look real bad at abnormal movement speeds.

I feel there's a line to be drawn between clothes and basic assets the game is built on.

this is like when valve decided to monetize sprays in csgo (a basic functionality that operated for generations free in other games). It doesn't affect the game but it just makes the devs look like sour greedy individuals.

Archived