Is Klei ok with griefing at their own servers?

Is Klei ok with griefing  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Is Klei ok with griefing

• Yes they are
    • No they are not
    • They just don´t care
    • Griefers are customers also

7 hours ago, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

If all DST players that plays on KLei servers were advised to get this mod via the server description, it would be an interesting experiment.

I do not want to say that this mod is a bad mod, but:

[...]
Player One: ★☆★ Viktor just equipped lighter ★☆★
Player Two: What's the purpose of that mod?
Player One: anti greefering? xd
Player One: ★☆★ Player Three just equipped torch ★☆★
Player One: ★☆★ Player Three just equipped torch ★☆★
Player One: bruh
[...]

Source: Yesterday when I was farming Snurtles.

Now imagine the chaos in the chat if everyone would use that mod.

Another problem is the fact that not everybody can use the mod properly. Some players will be aware that a certain player might be a griefer, others on the other hand will just start kicking everyone as soon as the mod announces them that that player equipped a torch.

8 hours ago, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

If all DST players that plays on KLei servers were advised to get this mod via the server description, it would be an interesting experiment. :wilsontea:

NoGriefer: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2007563445

Together, we can force griefers to buy more copies of DST to bypass banlists and support KLei! :willow:

I don't trust other people's list of "griefers". Nothing's stopping them from adding someone they don't like, or adding someone based on a misunderstanding, or adding someone based on inconclusive evidence. I've got my own list of griefers and I only add people to it if I'm 100% sure they did it. It's been extremely effective, I rarely see blatant griefers any more.

Also that mod is really annoying and spams the chat. I hate whenever anyone has it.

I appreciate JoeW's take on griefing

but one has to wonder how the spawn portal does not have a 6-7 tile wide deadzone where nothing can be deployed on it, and skeletons turn into dust. You can't twist this one on wheter it is acceptable or not.

4 minutes ago, Well-met said:

but one has to wonder how the spawn portal does not have a 6-7 tile wide deadzone where nothing can be deployed on it, and skeletons turn into dust. You can't twist this one on wheter it is acceptable or not.

It would stop spawnbases. For every griefed postern I see I see at least 5 spawn bases, and that's just the ones I've noticed. Based on what people say when I'm basing on a boat or underground it seems like every time people join late into a world and don't get directed to a base they just start basing at the spawn.

Could you really look the spawn basers' in their eyes and tell them that they have to move their guaranteed-to-be-griefed base a few feet to the side? Could you live with yourself after doing that?

11 hours ago, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

If all DST players that plays on KLei servers were advised to get this mod via the server description, it would be an interesting experiment. :wilsontea:

NoGriefer: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2007563445

Together, we can force griefers to buy more copies of DST to bypass banlists and support KLei! :willow:

Or the entire server gets annoyed by the flooded chat and kicks the users this has legit happened already.

Edit just noticedit said the equip thing has been patched so nm.

3 hours ago, Well-met said:

Okay imagine if you had a box & everything inside this box is protected from griefing, THEN you put that box inside of ANOTHER BOX that’s barely big enough to fit over the first but is not protected by griefing.

This would be exactly what happens to Klei except with a lot of wasted effort & development time they could’ve been using doing literally ANYTHING else.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay imagine if you had a box & everything inside this box is protected from griefing, THEN you put that box inside of ANOTHER BOX that’s barely big enough to fit over the first but is not protected by griefing.

This would be exactly what happens to Klei except with a lot of wasted effort & development time they could’ve been using doing literally ANYTHING else.

that makes no sense.

There's only one place you spawn on a world, and the first few minutes is likely the only time you're going to be this much vulnerable. This protection would not be needed anywhere else.

I don't see a safety perimeter zone taking more than an hour at worst to do. Even a beginner at LUA could come up with it.

41 minutes ago, Well-met said:

that makes no sense.

There's only one place you spawn on a world, and the first few minutes is likely the only time you're going to be this much vulnerable. This protection would not be needed anywhere else.

I don't see a safety perimeter zone taking more than an hour at worst to do. Even a beginner at LUA could come up with it.

I don’t think your quite understanding me.. so I’ll try to explain it in the way of playing a first person shooter-

In some (older) games going to the other teams spawning location and spawn killing them was a valid tactic- in fact Battlefield used to actually ENCOURAGE you to do this, many years (& complaints) later when you try to enter the enemies spawn location you get hit with a count down timer for being out of bounds.

While this does significantly cut down on dying immediately... the people DETERMINED to do it just sit right on the other side of the line where they are ALLOWED to camp and killed you as you left your base.

SMITE is the same way.. you have damage protection in your base, but that doesn’t stop the other team from camping right on the other side of the wall waiting for you to come out.

What your wanting in Dont Starve Together is Essentially the same thing... but- The grievers will just camp on the other side of your line.

Hench the box example Your SAFE in your box... until they make a BIGGER box that’s just barely larger than yours that goes around your box.

I provided this example earlier but I suppose I’ll do it again: Pretend that Klei made the spawn areas like how your wanting them, better yet pretend Klei dedicated an ENTIRE ISLAND to Greif prevention.. a place where you can gather gear and supplies to get your bearings straight and then venture into the main unprotected area of the game.

You would do this by starting in a world Gen similar to solo DS chapter Two Worlds- You wouldnt be able to place anything within this starting island & when your ready to leave you take a sick wormhole (and can never return to the starting area again)

That sounds nice in theory but... what’s going to stop a greifer from going to the Wormhole and blocking THAT off?

Theres not really much Klei can do to handle player behavior except to maybe add some gameclip save capturing feature so you can directly report the offender and have them banned/punished.

The only way I can think that the Dedicated Two Worlds style map would actually work... is if the Sick Wormhole you took didn’t land you in a predictable area and instead spawned whoever jumped through it somewhere RANDOMLY in the map like playing Wilderness Mode.

in fact: That would probably be Klei’s BEST option to counter greiving honestly.. switch all their servers to Wilderness Mode so there’s no “Spawn Area” to Grief.. people just land in ANYWHERE they can randomly.

And then there’s a button in your menus titled as “Rescue Me” if you happen to get stuck in some trap a griefer built- you can press that button and force yourself to Respawn elsewhere.

Its probably not the BEST Solution ever.. but it sure as heck beats building a grief prevention zone only to have that entire zone blocked off by the griefer.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

Now I understand what you mean.

However, building a giant trap fortress around the safe perimeter would be much more difficult to maintain than a couple spider nests, tentacles or walls and having people die before they literally load in.

Other simple solution for Tentacles in Florid Postern would be for game to check before player spawns if Tentacle are in a 3-5 tiles-radius around Gate and instantly de-spawn them if found (there isn't any "legit"/non-griefing purpose for using On Tentacles that close to gate aside intentional players killings) - thus will also be a kind of practical joke on griefers doing the action. Another solution would be a 10-20s invulnerability after popping in the world. Maybe both. And for Fossils: perhaps they should also be dislocated via punching similar to Walls (3-5 punches to also justify the 1 use of a Hammer when making the Skeleton wrong). These at least will mitigate in a big capacity the spawn griefing. And to quench the potential "thirst for blood" in personal pubs ("your world, your rules"), possibly have another WorldGen toggle "Spawn Protection: On/Off" for the above and more.

Glad to see KLei is looking seriously for a solution to the Spawn Trap griefing - or at least are more opened to the tackling idea.

To be honest nothing is required to prevent griefing in vanilla game, I remember going 2 years without grief just by;
1) not telling location of main base
2) baiting all new players to a decoy base with celestial orb

Some people gonna call me wrong but filtering Players that doesnt even have an idea about crafting an axe and griefers saves a lot of resources :3

3 hours ago, yiitbrak said:

1) not telling location of main base
2) baiting all new players 

Some people gonna call me wrong but filtering Players that doesnt even have an idea about crafting an axe and griefers saves a lot of resources :3

I don't think anyone can call you wrong for this as there are plenty of players who expect you to play the game for them while I do help less experienced players from time to time it's not our responsibility to do it even more so for players who expect to sit at base and demand food and clothing.

If it is in a scale which manipulates the server for hours, not allowing people to play, for example blocking of portals, then yes, they do care; If someone got mad and burned your base because you took their lunch, naaah.

Archived