[Poll] On the You Reap What You Sow Update, Postmortem

PWOEUQOPWUIQNWRLMX,MNCBMHBXCC.LaDOHAFLAAAAAAAAAAAAAKCNXV,XMNCKLVNHALUEHOIEHPLEEEEAASSEEEEHEEEELPPPPPAAAAAAAAA  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Reap What You Sow update?

• Very Satisfied.
    • Satisfied.
    • Unsatisfied.
    • Very Unsatisfied.
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the update.
  2. 2. What was the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

• The new immersive farming content (giant crops, tools, weeds etc.)
    • Disease removal
    • Bunnyman loot nerfs
    • Wicker nerfs
    • Wormwood changes
    • Birdcage changes
    • New Cosmetics
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The update adds new, immersive content.
    • The update removed old ineffective methods of gameplay and replaced them with new, fun gameplay techs.
    • The update adds new strategies to work around the new content.
    • The update brought aesthetically pleasing content.
    • The update addressed longstanding concerns from the community.
    • The update improved very well upon existing gameplay.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The update adds tedious, stale content.
    • The removed/changed content was already good and should not have been removed.
    • The update brings content that does not require players to adapt to it creatively.
    • The update brought aesthetically bland content.
    • The update ignored longstanding concerns from the community.
    • The update clashes with existing gameplay.
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

This update was a rollercoaster. At first I didn't like it, because I was intimidated by how much more complex the farming became ("seasons? water consumption? what are the nutrient cycling shenanigans!? all for each plant!?"), but after reading, learning and asking questions I started to think it might singlehandedly be the best RoT update, it made farming satisfyingly good (and Zeklo, QuartzBeam, Lakhnish and others, thank you for the guides, you guys are legends). And this update also served as Wormwood's "rework" and solved every problem I had with him (blooming being mostly a downside, attracting bees that aggro on him in spring, losing sanity from wetness/wet items despite being a plant)

And this update deleted disease, no one is going to miss it.

Bunnymen and Wicker nerfs were something I always was neutral about. Never used either of them.

I like the new update a lot, but your poll doesn’t even mention the best thing about the update, WATERING CANS!!- they can be used to extinguish a raging inferno now..

That has to be the most OP thing ever- and With it I am certain we will see HUGE sweeping changes to other areas of the game, such as Water Balloons now being mostly useless now, Iceflingo machine is also arguably less useful now that the OP Water Can exists.

But these are changes that NEEDED to happen, now I can play the game and when some jerk tries to burn down base instead of rolling the server back for everyone I can just extinguish them with a Watering Can.

This however ends up becoming a double edged sword, because if you thought summer was lacking in content variety before... now that wildfires are removed from being a threat, Summer season is in dire need of a tune up.. preferably with new Magmatic spiders like the Skin Webber has-

Anyways, I absolutely LOVE the new way farming works, and I wish they would allow us to craft farm fences/decorations to also spruce up the looks of the gardens.

There is so much more they can do with this if the players enjoying it would start making some excellent suggestions.

What was the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

I mean, this isn't even subjective or open to debate.

It's the farm rehaul. This is what Klei put the most effort on.

Your question doesn't make sense given the context.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

such as Water Balloons now being mostly useless now, Iceflingo machine is also arguably less useful now that the OP Water Can exists.

What.
Waterballoons are ranged water cans, replaceable with luxury fans.

Flingomatics are still better at putting out fires due to them being faster.

24 minutes ago, Well-met said:

What was the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

I mean, this isn't even subjective or open to debate.

It's the farm rehaul. This is what Klei put the most effort on.

Your question doesn't make sense given the context.

admittedly yeah this was pretty off, i was purely sticking to format here

C'mon community, be fair, what part of removing disease is "most fleshed-out, though-of part"? If anything, its the least fleshed-out and thought about change. Otherwise, the update is perfect. I wish they did (and still do) rework and flesh out disease instead of removing it right away. Unlike the overwhelming majority, I will miss it, and the potential it had.

It's like getting sad because of the cancellation of a TV show, not because you liked the show but because the show had all the right pieces and you waited it to finally get better. Disease is gone and everything's worse now...

Otherwise, phenomenal update, farming crops is so engaging, fun and rewarding now.

17 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

C'mon community, be fair, what part of removing disease is "most fleshed-out, though-of part"? If anything, its the least fleshed-out and thought about change. Otherwise, the update is perfect. I wish they did (and still do) rework and flesh out disease instead of removing it right away. Unlike the overwhelming majority, I will miss it, and the potential it had.

It's like getting sad because of the cancellation of a TV show, not because you liked the show but because the show had all the right pieces and you waited it to finally get better. Disease is gone and everything's worse now...

Otherwise, phenomenal update, farming crops is so engaging, fun and rewarding now.

Off-Topic Disease related thoughts in spoiler:

Spoiler

I was personally hoping disease would infect plants and then animals that ate those infected plants (such as Pigmen or Rabbits or Gobblers) would become diseased, and they would then infect anything else they came into nearby contact with (such as tree’s grass tufts, Beefalo) Basically it’s a way of explaining how that highly toxic Biome you need a Gas Mask to explore in The Hamlet DLC even became into existence.. it would be SUPER COOL as heck if disease could have also caused Water Pollution (by having disease infected frogs or birds or Skittersquid carry that back to the water) Basically the TL:DR- it made you have to be highly AWARE of the Wilderness around you, and if neglected for too long entire biomes could become Hamlet style poisoned hazard fields.

But This particular suggestion allowed the player to at least have some degree over controlling or slowing that Hazard fields progress (if you see diseased animal kill it before it contaminated not yet impacted stuffs, if water becomes polluted make efforts to clean and restore it so it doesn’t cause problems) Its Disease... but it’s Disease 2.0 that also narratively leads into how Hamlet toxic land fields became a thing.

Like you.. I too will miss disease as a concept that could have been expanded upon, but in its current non fleshed out form- I won’t ever miss it at all.

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

This. I like everything about this update except the Disease removal. When you see how they worked around crops and their happiness system, any plant could have a sort of Disease rework from overcrowding and things like that, so I'm kind of disappointed on that point, only this. Anyway devs have said maaaaaaaaaaaybe they will rework disease as it is still in game files.

Archived