[?] Would you like to have a Community Skin Contest?

It's not a new thing for a multiplayer and actively updated game to have a contest of community skins, where people can vote for a fan-made skin to be added to the game (I know it from Hi-Rez and Relogic).

There are many skins inspired by community arts, that were added to the game throughout past years, but a whole event of uploading our concepts and voting for them afterwards would be amazing!

We all know the loving care that Klei has for Don't Starve Together, how well developers communicate with us and how creative this community is, so why shouldn't we have a contest after this awful year? Please Klei!

wes-award5.png

And for anyone doubting the creativity check the spoiler:

Spoiler

I fell in love with these ones honestly:

image.thumb.png.5dd247afe7122396de784935347afb76.png   Wigfrid 1.png   image.png.9ccfe41bf571287153aa41c73bdb3b53.png    

You can argue, but this one (found on google) is pure A R T

Spoiler

1899390922_MaxWick.thumb.jpg.a91c6aa51e45073a3d480a616b81a249.jpg

I can’t draw, so if this was to happen I’ll just vote for whatever outfit design I like best- and currently, that’s the Totally Normal Tree Wormwood skin (complete with glowing purely cosmetic, Hallowed Nights Eyes) that I haven’t gotten yet.

14 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

Yeah, I think that a community update would be pretty good, but the people who'd like to participate would have to stick to the artstyle and also meet Klei's standards, which is probably harder than most think

Is that really nessacary? Of course the closer to the original art style the better but if the art style a participant chooses is understandable and people can easily imagine it in the actual DS/T art style, I wouldnt see anything wrong with different art styles.

Just now, Hornete said:

Is that really nessacary? Of course the closer to the original art style the better but if the art style a participant chooses is understandable and people can easily imagine it in the actual DS/T art style, I wouldnt see anything wrong with different art styles.

I aint no klei, im just saying an opinion based on what the devs have said

Actually, I also wanted to talk about it. I've been concerned about this topic for a long time...
The community of this game is amazing, as well as the developers themselves, but why not hold some competitions to introduce fan skins to the game.
It would be interesting and wonderful =3
It would be possible to make a special kind of skins "Made by the community" or something else like that. It seems to me that this is a very cool idea:wilson_love:

2 hours ago, Sapientis said:

1899390922_MaxWick.thumb.jpg.a91c6aa51e45073a3d480a616b81a249.jpg

By the way, this is the creation of my friends from the Russian community.. And quite old...

Spoiler

If you are interested, there is a link... https://vk.com/albums-102205157

woah, this sounds like an awesome idea! though klei would probably have to re-draw each outfit to match the don't starve style, i think something like this could really bring the community together to decide on something. i would absolutely love to see this, even without being able to do the arting myself.

I drew my idea for wurt skin at the same day that this post was made...Coincidence? I THINK NOT Blank Template - Imgflip
ok, ok, jokes aside, i drawed my idea for wurt survivor skin since i love wurt and i love survivor collection in general so i made it. On the left regular wurt and on the right merm king buffed wurt. This is just my concept drawing to show the general idea, that's why i didn't draw legs and it's not fully colored etc. Nne day maybe i will made like, a final piece or something, which will never happen since i'm lazy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 unknown.png 
Edit: wait. we are suppose to just talk if the actual competition would be cool or not, not actually send their drawn ideas? o fr!ck okay then you can watch the piece i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd love that! I actually have been working on some skin concept art for Maxwell's rework just for fun. The only thing I made so far is a magician style "Card Decks Umbra"

Spoiler

Idle

1852587487_CardDecksUmbraIdle.png.4c278f01d2c962ddb542f46cc4e61237.png 

When Maxwell approaches it (traditionally where the book would open and start floating). They would float into a "Pick-a-card" formation, and when Maxwell spawns a minion, the card deck would shuffle and return to this position.

361618023_CardDecksUmbraOpen.png.307d511e4ca88d5deba8fa196cb9b23b.png

Based on TF2 I proposed this some time ago, and they (people of the forums, not Klei) told me in Canada the working laws prevent things like this from happening, because it could be taken as free or underpaid work from the community artists. 

Since I know squat of Canadian laws I can only but nod silently, although if anyone knows if this is true or not please feel free to let me know. Also I love the idea of the community creating things for the game, as long as they are respect the artstyle.

Spoiler

I mean, a bunny princess anime styled Abigail, even though I'm sure 80% of the DST steam community would upvote, would be sort of an eyesore.

Listening community more will increase interest of people and make game more active but most of people will vote best drawn one, not the best contept one. So I don't think community will make right decision.

But maybe community should choose a "theme" per year and Klei could make a skin set for it. For example with veggie theme for veggie costume or middle earth theme for middle earth costumes.

17 hours ago, Hornete said:

Depends on what you mean by different art style, I would personally prefer people try to stick with something that matches the game thematically. We already have enough modded anime characters running around.

5 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Depends on what you mean by different art style, I would personally prefer people try to stick with something that matches the game thematically. We already have enough modded anime characters running around.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Right now, what I'm thinking of for community chosen skin contest is that people can draw a concept for their skin idea. And if said skin idea is chosen it will then be adapted into the DST art style.

But if instead a final product of a skin is supposed to be drawn and not a concept, then of course I think it should be nessacary for it to be close to the DS/T art style.

Cheers and apologies if I am misunderstanding.

9 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Right now, what I'm thinking of for community chosen skin contest is that people can draw a concept for their skin idea. And if said skin idea is chosen it will then be adapted into the DST art style.

Yes, exactly how I would see that. This is still a game made by Klei, so I'd rather have developers select works they find fitting their vision of the game based on some qualification rules before community voting, as well as supervise the whole contest.

I don't see contestants making actual in-game graphics, but IF they were accepted by Klei why shouldn't they end up in a game?
Would anyone argue about their work of art in their favourite game?

Archived