Big crops don't worth the effort

Hi, i was playing the beta and trying the new farm system folowing all the rules, water,  fertilization and season and after 10 days i got 9 big tomatos but each one only reward you with  2 tomatos? i don't think this worth all the time and all the(hard resources) that i spent to keep them health at least each giant crop  should give 5x is to much time to get so little, i would get much more food just walking around the map and picking berries or literraly killing spiders one by one and feeding to the bird to get eggs to do stuff.

Cheers. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

Hi, i was playing the beta and trying the new farm system folowing all the rules, water,  fertilization and season and after 10 days i got 9 big tomatos but each one only reward you with  2 tomatos? i don't think this worth all the time and all the(hard resources) that i spent to keep them health at least each giant crop  should give 5x is to much time to get so little, i would get much more food just walking around the map and picking berries or literraly killing spiders one by one and feeding to the bird to get eggs to do stuff.

Cheers. 

I have not played the beta, but seeing that the giant vegetables only drop 2 feels anticlimactic for how big they are in-game.

I wish they would drop like 3-5 instead.

26 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Lots of misinformation in this thread.

You grew a regular crop. Not a giant crop.

Regular crops don't nearly need as much attention as you imply

Exactly, the current farming system, so long as you tend you them once, don't overcrowd, and have no weeds allow you to eat the results of the harvest and get another seed to repeat. FAR easier and better than the old system

44 minutes ago, Lord Cafe said:

Cheers. 

You didn't grow big crops then, you may have not have given it the right fertilizer. Considering you said only grew tomatoes.

10 days seems pretty over exaggerated if you ask me, in my experiences they were all fully grown and giant in half of the time it supposedly took you.

I don't know if you tried the beta, didn't like it. And then made up vastly over exaggerated numbers just so you could say it's bad. Or just made everything up outright without trying the beta (It sounds like you did the former, rather than the latter) 

It's literally impossible to grow giant crops in 10 days. Giant crops grow in approximately 2.5 days (maybe 3, depending on how long nights are in that particular time of year). If your crops took 10 days to grow, they clearly were not in season and probably had a bunch of other stressors you did not take care of.

It would be a good idea to not go around making judgements on things you clearly understand very little of and which you haven't even put any time into understanding to begin with.

It's very easy to conclude the system is tedious and not worth it when you've only played around with it for a few hours. It's what I thought after 3 or so hours of playing the beta. But then I kept playing, and it turns out that 3 Buckets o Poop (a fairly negligible cost at really most stages of the game) can give you this:

unknown.png.c9266f997fcb48f513c895863b1f7b33.png

That's 8475 points of hunger (enough to last Wilson 113 days, or a year and a half) and 5800 points of health, assuming you turn the Dragon Fruit into Dragon Pies, of course. All this was produced in a bit over 2.5 days. In exchange for 9 Manure, 6 Bone Shards and 12 Logs. And that's just one of the myriads of possibilities the new system has.

3 hours ago, Lord Cafe said:

Cheers. 

Giant crops are not growing in 10 days and they are giving good amount of crop/seed. You made normal happy crops. For normal plants, you don't even need to water them to make profit for you. You just have to tend to them. So they are really worth it.

Please at least read/watch a guide before complaining.

3 hours ago, Lord Cafe said:

Cheers. 

That is wrong in so many ways. A giant crop gives up to 6 rewards. The statistics of giant crops rewards are: 2.75 Crop and 2.25 Seed, so you're guaranteed at least 2, but mostly 3 crops to do whatever you want with, and 2 (and occasionally 3) specific seeds to expand your seed collection for regrowth and bigger farms. 10 days is also an impossibility since crops usually grow to full size in 2-3 days; even off-season crops grow in up to 6-8 days, there is no way you planted 9 toma roots and got the yield 10 days later; at that time they would've even rotten on their stalks.

Most of the stress factors aren't even active ones; Season, Overcrowding, Weeds and Family are easily dealt with through the initial planting process and they won't bother you again if you do it correctly. Watering is the most active task in my opinion but all and all watering the farm tiles once every day is a worthy effort for a nice yield you'll reap. Tending is an active task only early on, which you can ease with playing a musical instrument like one man band, which will tend to dozens of seeds in seconds. Once you encounter and beat your first Lord of The Fruitflies, this task becomes automated too. Leaves you with Nutrients, which can easily be dealt with through crop rotation or if you're after monoculture/imperfect combo, nutrients in a tile can easily balanced with fertilizers, a bit at the beginning and some towards the middle-end. Any combo of some tending, Watering and Nutrient Balancing will get you 1 crop and 2 seeds. You can even make up to 11 wrongs and still get a seed in return which is miles better than the old system where you would have to give half of your yield to the bird, be unable to crop effectively in Winter and Summer, and favour only select few crops.

~25 Toma roots + ~20 Toma seeds for a perfectly tended single farm plot is already an amazing reward. Trust me, you wouldn't want players popping ~50 crops for a single tile agriculture.

4 hours ago, Mithrandir34 said:

You're right my friend.I will miss the good old farming system this is realistic but I don't know man I have no words to say.

You don't need to take constant care of your crops with the new system. If you're only interested in getting veggies like you would in the old system, just plant seeds, tend to them once and forget about them. As long as the season is right, no weeds are nearby, the plants aren't overcrowded and the crops are planted together, you'll get 1 crop and 1 seed back every time, which is already significantly better than the old system.

You only need to take good care of your crops if you plan on expanding your farm or growing giant crops. Having the crop watered well and tended to half the time will give back 2 seeds, which pretty much doubles your harvest every time if you choose to plant them all. Fertilizer is completely optional, and watering is optional if you don't want more than 1 seed back.

weird to jump on casual player with a tepid criticism. new farming is okay. you're right that you can just use traditional food gathering methods like spider/ice/berry/egg/carrot and get better results without waste. new farm has some positives like no wilt, smoldering protections, grows in winter. cons are you cant skip stages of growth with fertilizer anymore so u have to plan a few days ahead, there's much more variables to micromanage for best harvest, and birds won't give 2 seeds anymore with new farms.

now when with the new crops, when they're cheaper, still gives profit even with a VERY small amount of effort and much higher profit if you are actually engaged into crops that can give you a lot of seeds and fruit/veggie, it's weird to think that old farms existed, and they were "the way" to get chilli as warly...    damn...   time flies...

Nope, i farmed the big ones since i could put on that thing to get weight of the vegetable, giants vegetables give 2.7 and you need to use the hammer to get them and 90% of the time i only got 2 tomatos and sometimes a third one, big crops need 24h gardening and thousands of fertilizer is to much work for so little, is better to just make 9 identical plants in one crow, one water, one happy state for each one and let them grow alone, after 4 days you get 9 tomatos and 9 seeds to do the same thing again, since you can do thousands of this crops without taking care of them it's faster and easier than giants crops.

Since a lot of people are just assuming that i don't know how to gardening, i was using horn to happy state, end game itens(i was on creative) and wikipedia was opened in my other monitor  and i was checking the plants guide to know each nutries and etc, i had to spent 24h of my taking care of the plants by the time it takes and the resources that i waste to only so little would be better to just fish, farm spiders, berries, hunting.

I like farming and i know we don't need to make big crops but it's sad the better strategy it's just use regular crops in large amounts since you don't even need to fertilize the crops, water, happy and right  season and that is, 9 vegetables, 9 seeds in 4 days. 

Edit: I'm not a casual player, i play dst for almost 3 years, BIG CROPS don't worth the time it's a simple concept to understand(normal crops are way better than old ones) why people saying that i don't know how to play DST? if i had to stay  near my crops 24h a day, using thousands of resources that aren't so easy to get since rot, poop and formula takes time to grab and beside  that i can't explore because i'm taking care of the plants and after all that i get less than 20 vegetables, would be better to just walk around the map picking berries and doing meatballs or pierogies, butterfly cake or anything else. 

18 hours ago, Choosechee said:

are you gonna respond?

Sorry if i have a life and can't stay 24h a day on a internet forum to replying each one of your comments Choosechee.

Thanks for all the people who replied giving ther opinions about the topic and not assuming right away that "Oh you just a noob who don't know how to grow crops" or saying sarcasting things like  Choosechee, not gonna reply anyone else since i'm gettint to much hate just because i'm saying that big crops don't worth the effort ONLY THE BIG ONES.

Cheers

Plant 36 crops in 4 tiles by choosing the right ones for nutrient cycling, fill the 4 tiles with water and put your friendly fruit fly around the place. Come back 2.5 days later. Gather the 99 (literally) fruits / veggies.

That's the opposite of tedious, the opposite of inefficient, and also the opposite of not worth it.

Easy giant crops require setup at the beginning, getting the seeds and the fruit fly, then nothing more just enjoy the results.

On 12/13/2020 at 8:41 PM, QuartzBeam said:

It's literally impossible to grow giant crops in 10 days. Giant crops grow in approximately 2.5 days (maybe 3, depending on how long nights are in that particular time of year). If your crops took 10 days to grow, they clearly were not in season and probably had a bunch of other stressors you did not take care of.

It would be a good idea to not go around making judgements on things you clearly understand very little of and which you haven't even put any time into understanding to begin with.

It's very easy to conclude the system is tedious and not worth it when you've only played around with it for a few hours. It's what I thought after 3 or so hours of playing the beta. But then I kept playing, and it turns out that 3 Buckets o Poop (a fairly negligible cost at really most stages of the game) can give you this:

unknown.png.c9266f997fcb48f513c895863b1f7b33.png

That's 8475 points of hunger (enough to last Wilson 113 days, or a year and a half) and 5800 points of health, assuming you turn the Dragon Fruit into Dragon Pies, of course. All this was produced in a bit over 2.5 days. In exchange for 9 Manure, 6 Bone Shards and 12 Logs. And that's just one of the myriads of possibilities the new system has.

Great! How many seed did you planted before this 2.5 days? 

Geez.. people are rude & mean, I’m glad I was born decades ago in a time where people held doors open for random strangers and said yes ma’am, no ma’am, please & thank you.. it makes me very sad to see people criticize others because they aren’t as knowledgeable about something as you are.

Everyone (even people with minimal experience with the game) should be allowed to express their gameplay experiences & concerns and what they think of the content Klei puts out.

Im sure there are some people still trying to figure out why they can no longer build improved crops, it’s a feature that existed in the game for years and until just yesterday hadn’t been changed.

My personal experience with the new RWYS crops is that I can plant a TON of different crops into ONE 1 tile foundation plot, the Rig’a’Majig has multiple uses (I forget exactly how many.. but I’m gonna guess about 6.) You can plant a huge farmers market with that many plots to plant in- 

Old crops wouldn’t grow in Winter, these still do. They don’t require nearly as much work as people claim they do and I find it truly hard to “Starve” in this game now because of it.

The update is an improvement to old farms, and I don’t miss the boring plant one crop per farm plot and fertilize for instant growth mechanics at all.

I was “concerned” about the removal of Disease but the new farming uses a mechanic that was similar to disease (having to remove debris and weeds from your farm to avoid crop contamination) it’s way way better.. and it’s fun and I don’t miss disease either.

Many thanks to Klei for this amazing farming improvement :wilson_love::wickerbottomthanks:

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Geez.. people are rude & mean,

well people told him he wasn't doing the farming correctly and he disagreed despite him (most probably)doing it wrong if he was doing it correctly he would have gotten a lot more crops 

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m glad I was born decades ago in a time where people held doors open for random strangers and said yes ma’am, no ma’am, please & thank you

booooooo!!!nowadays we have the internet.the biggest mistake invention ever made.people nowadays words like "you're very POGGERS"

also your reply is kinds considered off topic because you never mentioned anything about the big crops or if they're worth the effort or not.

3 minutes ago, stranger again said:

well people told him he wasn't doing the farming correctly and he disagreed despite him (most probably)doing it wrong if he was doing it correctly he would have gotten a lot more crops 

booooooo!!!nowadays we have the internet.the biggest mistake invention ever made.people nowadays words like "you're very POGGERS"

also your reply is kinds considered off topic because you never mentioned anything about the big crops or if they're worth the effort or not.

Well I mean simple maths should say yes? You can fit multiple crops into one ONE farm plot foundation, your not wasting grass and stone and twigs and manure to plant multiple improved farms..

you can literally put 9+ Crops into one tiny 1 square foundation. That’s obviously worth the effort is it not?

Archived