Initial Plans for Early Access

• Developer

Hi friends!

We did it, Spaced Out! is available in Early Access! Thanks so much to everyone who participated in the alpha, your feedback and bug reports were invaluable!

Moving forward, I'd like to let you know the current state of things and where we're headed: First off, work on the DLC continues! We really wanted to make sure that the Swamp Start was working well because of all the new content there, but now we're turning our attention back to the classic Sandstone Start and building out the inner cluster to support it. You can look forward to that in time for the holidays!

As we begin the new year we'll be continuing to work on cluster and rocketry content. Our focus up until now has been on getting the underlying systems playable and making sure there's a solid early game to build on. Next we're going to be building out the rest of the cluster, with a focus on distributing all the game's resources around and creating interesting sustainability dynamics between the planetoids. We'll also add higher tech rocketry (both new modules and some modules from the base game) so you can fully explore and integrate the cluster's riches.

Regarding integrating the base game and the DLC closer together: For the time being, the two versions of the game are two separate experiences. Save files will always remain incompatible with each other, and so if you want to enjoy the full ONI experience while we develop the DLC, you can disable Spaced Out! through the main menu or Steam to flip back and forth at any time.

As far as mods go, we're going to leave them off for the next while as well. There's still significant changes happening in the code that will cause mods to break frequently, and we don't want to give anyone a false expectation that the mods they install from the Workshop will work. (Language mods will still work though!) I'm as eager as anyone to get back to playing with mods, but it's just not something we feel comfortable endorsing right now.

And just to let you know, as always Klei will be shut down for two weeks at the end of the month. We'll have hotfixes and the Sandstone Start coming before then, but otherwise: Enjoy the holidays!

excited to hear we're getting more asteroid variations.  my biggest wish right now is for better rocketry, it's sad that something like 50% of the map seeds have only the first 3 asteroids reachable and <10% have all 6 accessible with the current rocketry available.  can you guys allow co2 rockets farther range until better rockets are available?  just 6 or more tile range until we can make the lategame rocketry

loving the new grubgrubs/sweetle/divergent family for the dlc.  makes sour gas boiling almost necessary now

You guys are the only game studio I will do early access/alphas for.  Thank you so much for the information - with so much up in the air right now, I really like that you shared the plan with us so that we know what to expect.  Have a wonderful holiday!!!

The compost heap after loading the game from the save is shown as empty, although it is full. Duplicants continue to carry resources into it, but it is no longer redrawn as it should

2020-12-09_23-36-11.jpg

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

building out the inner cluster

That is exactly, what i was hoping to hear. A bigger space map. Awesome!:D

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

And just to let you know, as always Klei will be shut down for two weeks at the end of the month. We'll have hotfixes and the Sandstone Start coming before then, but otherwise: Enjoy the holidays!

You most certainly earned some time off. But til then: Crunch time! *snaps whip*

22 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

I am more disappointed that UI and utility mods got disabled. I have not problem with balance changing mods but without UI and utility mods playing is a pain.

The problem ist, either they deactivate mods (besides translations, which are a completely other thing), or they activate all mods. They just cant allow UI mods, but prevent users from using all kind of other stuff. Its on or off, nothing in between. If they would manage the mods, it would be possible, but its all from steam and 3rd party pages, they do neither own, nor control. So, as sad as it is, mods are out of the question for the next few weeks for the DLC.

1 hour ago, Technoincubus said:

I am more disappointed that UI and utility mods got disabled. I have not problem with balance changing mods but without UI and utility mods playing is a pain.

They cannot really debug it when reports come in with mods on. 

I think you have to wait a little.

1 hour ago, aresd said:

The compost heap after loading the game from the save is shown as empty, although it is full. Duplicants continue to carry resources into it, but it is no longer redrawn as it should

2020-12-09_23-36-11.jpg

Это еще из оригинальной игры баг, у меня оно фиксилось само спустя время.

4 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

We really wanted to make sure that the Swamp Start was working well because of all the new content there, but now we're turning our attention back to the classic Sandstone Start and building out the inner cluster to support it.

Does it mean that the Swamp is finished? I really like new stuff in it, but it feels that it could use some more attention. I feel like swamps should burst with variety of different lifeforms, both fauna and flora. Current content was fine for alpha, but in the end I we would gladly see even more great stuff: slug morphs, water weed and lily pads, moss, leeches, insects, frogs, some fungi as plant or germs... Maybe some mobile plant, plant-critter hybrid... The swamp is perfect place for many wild ideas and single slug would happily hug some more friends, I hope @Ipsquiggle you will find some time to look into it :)

The desert is fine with single bug and spindly plant :)

As always, thanks for great update!

5 hours ago, Moshanu said:

That's great news! Thanks a lot for all your work, Klei!

Now a quick question: do I miss anything if I keep playing on my alpha save or should I start a brand new colony after the early access update?

Hard to say - It`s entirely up to you and how you assess the game content development and save file situation.

I played a base game colony recently for +3000 cycles, so I forced myself to stop playing the game as its unclear how the base game & dlc combo will be and what the situation is with save games in 2021. You will only know then if your base game saves or dlc saves will still work at later moments in time, such as the spring, the middle or end of 2021.

Personally, if all rockets and all known ONi buildings would be in whatever version - Then I personally would start playing again and start save filing in that game version, with the taken risk knowledge of perhaps having my save files someday trashed by Klei at some update point in 2021, but that`s me.

Playing the current limited dlc content would be too boring for me, I got used to the full current content of the base game.

"...after the early access update" -> Its an iterative process, Klei will add base game content step by step to the dlc.

If these iterative update steps stay save file compatible, then there could be a good chance that future iterative updates don`t break previous saves. Its save game roulette.

image.thumb.png.0e857af4c877c7771fbaf7bbe8463075.pngimage.thumb.png.3daf61112f2092532705f6352549f910.png

9 hours ago, Duck986 said:

Это еще из оригинальной игры баг, у меня оно фиксилось само спустя время.

Я первый раз такое вижу за 100 миллионов часов в игре

Main menu buttons on top of the research tree window. It hidding the "close" button because of which you have to close the window by clicking on "Esc"

2020-12-10_10-46-25.thumb.jpg.dd8bffde6c8f536117259f298d1402d7.jpg

5 hours ago, aresd said:

Main menu buttons on top of the research tree window. It hidding the "close" button because of which you have to close the window by clicking on "Esc"

You can close it by clicking again the same tab. I think they removed the close button all together, which I actually find a good choice; way too many times did I accidentally close the whole game by clicking the wrong X since I play windowed :dread:

16 minutes ago, Onysa said:

You can close it by clicking again the same tab. I think they removed the close button all together, which I actually find a good choice; way too many times did I accidentally close the whole game by clicking the wrong X since I play windowed :dread:

I don't think they removed the option just because it was inconvenient for you)

Archived