Mango as a plant

In the upcoming Reap what you Sow update in Don't Starve Together, I believe there will be an opportunity to add new plants. As such I suggest to add mangoes to further enhance the farming experience. With the reworked farming introducing specialized fertilizers and plants season selectivity. I believe mangoes could be accordingly balanced and a great addition.

What do you think, do you think mangoes will fit?

10 hours ago, Guvalee said:

In the upcoming Reap what you Sow update in Don't Starve Together, I believe there will be an opportunity to add new plants. As such I suggest to add mangoes to further enhance the farming experience. With the reworked farming introducing specialized fertilizers and plants season selectivity. I believe mangoes could be accordingly balanced and a great addition.

What do you think, do you think mangoes will fit?

I agree with this! It would be pretty cool to see different plants, maybe as well we could have different plants grown by different ways, like maybe Rice growing in coastlines of the constant or even growing Trees to produce plants! It'd be kind of cool and it could also promote base building in more unique locations if you wanted to!

3 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

Wait a gosh darn minute.

Didn't we have a thread about mangos pop up a couple months ago?

Yes and also @minespatch Crab Apple Trees. Both threads were fun but short lived.

Anyways, I wouldn’t mind more food sources so long as those foods had some risk/reward to obtain/maintain.

I don’t think a game called dont starve should be made near impossible to starve.. personally I’d like to see (just like in real life) plants/ crops that grow better in their preferred habitat, they can still be grown outside of their habitat but it’ll require more work, and will yield less results..

Forcing players to find a plants natural preferred growing habitat sounds like it would get more players to use boats and journey to other biomes. I don’t think that we should be able to grow everything in one spot without serious work and effort.

But- Mango trees sound like they would attract fruit flies more often- overall I just don’t want the game to be too easy.

And the more foods we have, the easier it feels it becomes.

New foods should be accompanied by new dangers, such as the literal CRAB Apples me and Mine discussed awhile back, just like how trees in Shipwrecked had a chance to spawn a hostile poisonous snake or trees in Hamlet a snake or scorpion- The trees provided food... but also came with a risk.

So sorry for the long reply: Yes to Mango but only if it introduces a new mob/challenge that accompanies it.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think a game called dont starve should be made near impossible to starve

I think Klei named their games after a feature in the game that often ends up being the least of your worries. It gives people the impression that starving is a big threat when it actually isn't. Serving as a decoy, hiding the real threats of the game. So when your new, everything catches you by surprise because you were more worried about hunger (Which isn't really a threat) than everything else.

Before adding more fruits and veggies, it would more important to give more uses to the actual plants in the game like Pomegranates, they do have some gimmicky advantages like crock pot values and sometime helpful for healing, character's favorite food (Wortox), but adding another fruit would do exactly the same thing, if not less, right ?

A new plant (from the new farming system or in general) have to be a bit more than that, and right now I'm guessing some herbs and specialized plants are more interesting.

Spoiler

Also, what's up with mangoes ? Cherries are much better :wilson_love:

15 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

I think Klei named their games after a feature in the game that often ends up being the least of your worries. It gives people the impression that starving is a big threat when it actually isn't. Serving as a decoy, hiding the real threats of the game. So when your new, everything catches you by surprise because you were more worried about hunger (Which isn't really a threat) than everything else.

i could not have said it better myself! it is something to see newbies dying over and over with a full or near-full stomach because they went mad or got soaked or were stomped by frogs

6 minutes ago, Well-met said:

ok but does the mango have any special perk?

we don't really need extra veggies that act exactly the same as the rest

Mango is a fruit.

That aside, can you imagine that but with real food? I'd probably keel over if all I could eat irl was a single vegetable.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Cups said:

Mango is a fruit.

That aside, can you imagine that but with real food? I'd probably keel over if all I could eat irl was a single vegetable.

Right.

I'm not sure what real life has to do with dont starve. I'm primarily concerned with gameplay.

I suppose adding it can't hurt, but it feels rather like filler.

13 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Right.

I'm not sure what real life has to do with dont starve. I'm primarily concerned with gameplay.

I suppose adding it can't hurt, but it feels rather like filler.

I suppose it would be but not everything is going to be like Shipwrecked's coffee. I like variety even if stat wise a mango would do the exact same thing as, say, the cave bananas. It makes the world feel less same-y and dull. A mango plant would be pretty if nothing else.

I've wanted fruit trees in Don't Starve/Together for a long time now (see:  how I keep using the Cherry Forest and Birds and Berries mods).  One example of one that might have a bit of risk to the reward, comes from the old "Teas and Trees" mod (no longer useable as far as I know).  In addition to *~~MANGO TREES~~*, it also had peach trees.  The deal with those was, if you tried to pick it when it was at four peaches, there was a chance that a weird peach _spider_ would drop down and attack you.

The mod also had tea bushes, which you could make a caffeinated drink from BUT, they were always prowled around by green addict cats.  And yes, they would also attack you if you had their precious tea-leaves on your person.  (Whether they SAW you pick it or not.)  

Not _huge_ threats, but, SOMEthing was there.  I always liked that mod.  Too bad it's been broken for so long.  Anyway thought this might give some vague idea of how that kind of thing might work in DS/T.

...Notorious

Archived