Rocket indoor plumbing

1 hour ago, Smife said:

A spacefaring dupe in an advanced rocket capable of reaching other worlds needs to manually operate an early game generator and surround himself with ugly bulky equipment for life support. Why not create a new "rocket module" tab for stuff that can only be built inside a ship? Like a small container that stores sealed dupe waste that can be disposed of after the landing. You can supply the rocket with bags, masks or even other essentials (O2 in canisters, bottled water, canned food, pwater or pdirt safely stored for later disposal etc) produced from plastic before takeoff for extra immersion. No way a one dupe super minibase survival challenge is more fun than what I just described. We're already doing that on asteroids, why would we want more of the same, but in a tiny room? The unique inner module equipment should be compact (as the room) and advanced looking like the pilot seat, and powered by already present rocket fuel, not a hamster wheel :D Tell me I'm wrong.

You're right. 

25 minutes ago, babba said:

I find it interesting to look at players trying to build max stuff in to the tiny spaces, it seems to be like "Tetris Addiction". :lol: 

If that tiny, it won't take long until someone posts an optimal build that will become "go to" for everyone.

34 minutes ago, babba said:

Personally I like(d) the system how it was before, but I do understand the fun people have micromanaging rockets. From my point of view, as industrialist - I loved the old rocket system of charging and fueling rockets. If we can have both, that would be cool.

I also liked the idea of supplying your rockets. If Klei expanded on that, then yeah, that would be most welcome.

5 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

You're right. 

Thank you!

48 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

Hmm.. how about a toilet chair AS the control chair...:)

This sounds completely reasonable.  The rocket chair could take on any/all of the following:

1. toilet/sink (no hand washing needed...)
  2. bed (regular cot)
  3. mess table
  4. oxygen diffuser/CO2 sucker (vents in oxygen from some storage facility / sucks out CO2/other gasses), though I think the oxylite option is a good one (though scrubbing CO2 in such a small space using huge machines needs to be dealt with). If the chair captured gasses (acted like a pump) but didn't suck in O2/PO2, that might work. The rocket could then expel all captured gasses upon landing (so they would be lost to space, or captured by the player who wants to design around this). 

With such a rocket chair, the inside of the cockpit can be decked out with things to improve life, rather than make sure your dupes don't go insane.... 

It definitely seems silly to have to expend this much effort, as this thread has shown, to just make sure your dupes can take care of basic needs.  They are piloting a rocket. @Smife you are absolutely correct on this, IMO.  I have no clue what the right fix is, but I'm sure we'll see something better in the near future.

@mathmanican I think that would be a bit too much, given that especially the larger cone has quite a bit of room for those things. Having even a single plug point to allow liquid/gas/solid/power in and out of the cone would dramatically improve the situation, as then will have a much easier time designing the insides. ( no hamster wheel saves you quite a bit of space, and having a way to pump liquids/gasses in/out means you can more easily recycle the contents to prepare for the next flight )

58 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

I think that would be a bit too much, given that especially the larger cone has quite a bit of room for those things.

Hence any/all. The current situation could use some love. Maybe we'll overshoot the fix before hitting a sweet spot.

1 hour ago, suicide commando said:

@mathmanican I think that would be a bit too much, given that especially the larger cone has quite a bit of room for those things.

That's the thing, rooms are large so they can work in this early build, but they should be much smaller and not used for pools of pee and pitcher pumps.

5 hours ago, Smife said:

Cmon now, no hate or anything, but that's the only thing legitimately bothering me atm. A spacefaring dupe in an advanced rocket capable of reaching other worlds needs to manually operate an early game generator and surround himself with ugly bulky equipment for life support.

One suspects that the actual release DLC will include nuclear batteries at least, to obviate the hamster wheel.

7 hours ago, Tsabo said:

to obviate the hamster wheel

To be fair, astronauts do have that. Keeping in shape in 0g is almost as important as oxygen, or they get crushed by gravity once they land, and require extensive therapy (like waking up from a long coma).

On 11/23/2020 at 11:25 PM, Smife said:

Cmon now, no hate or anything, but that's the only thing legitimately bothering me atm. A spacefaring dupe in an advanced rocket capable of reaching other worlds needs to manually operate an early game generator and surround himself with ugly bulky equipment for life support. Why not create a new "rocket module" tab for stuff that can only be built inside a ship? Like a small container that stores sealed dupe waste that can be disposed of after the landing. You can supply the rocket with bags, masks or even other essentials (O2 in canisters, bottled water, canned food, pwater or pdirt safely stored for later disposal etc) produced from plastic before takeoff for extra immersion. No way a one dupe super minibase survival challenge is more fun than what I just described. We're already doing that on asteroids, why would we want more of the same, but in a tiny room? The unique inner module equipment should be compact (as the room) and advanced looking like the pilot seat, and powered by already present rocket fuel, not a hamster wheel :D Tell me I'm wrong.

I dare you!

You are wrong ;-)

You are forgetting that each tech object in ONI is like 70% designed by an actual engineer and then finished _somehow_ by the dupes themselves and nobody knows why it even works at all.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:34 PM, suicide commando said:

Here's my small nosecone design:

C0DBCFA3B77F0E4DC08BC40A5902D2A5C2DE86AC

As I said no toilet is the only issue. Annoyingly, atmo suits are a little buggered because if you manually remove a suit from a dupe, they will keep the soiled debuff indefinitely. Oh, I also found out that if an ugly crier cries inside a suit, their tears get stored as well.

How do you get dupes to build in there?  I have put the build commands but it says unreachable....and if I assign crew, they go into the capsule but just stand there until they suffocate?  Its weird because it did it my first game but not this time so I assume I did something I can;t remember last time.

Just now, chemie said:

I have put the build commands but it says unreachable

Do you have a ladder up the side so dupes can reach the capsule? Do you have it set to allow everyone in? If so, it sounds like a glitch and I'd try reloading.

2 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Do you have a ladder up the side so dupes can reach the capsule? Do you have it set to allow everyone in? If so, it sounds like a glitch and I'd try reloading.

OK.  Thanks.  Had on crew versus auto or all....

12 hours ago, Gurgel said:

You are wrong ;-)

You are forgetting that each tech object in ONI is like 70% designed by an actual engineer and then finished _somehow_ by the dupes themselves and nobody knows why it even works at all.

Funny. In that case why not give us an opportunity to travel between additional modules inside a rocket and call the DLC "ONI: Hamlet". Or even better, make it a standalone survival game where you can play house tetris all you want. Don't forget chandeliers.

On 11/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, DrPerec said:

how about this rocket?
and yes this is a complete abuse

Oxygen Not Included Screenshot 2020.11.26 - 12.25.03.34.jpg

Imagine a rocket so big, that it has a 50 meter length pool inside, warm @ 87,8 Fahrenheit

+ 1 ghettoblaster + olympic games held inside on launch with 12 dupes swimming a race :confused:

= The Fahrenheit Olympic Pool Rocket > nicknamed "FahrOlymPooRock-t"

...which requires a special Minime-Dupe operated Launchpadimage.png.3edc65b8282eb64f06432f66f34360c8.png

The Minime rocket operator dupe needs to be fed special food "Hyper Induction Sandwich", which can be cooked in the new cooking device called sandwich toaster.

image.png.2ee9034d5061272765b2e514c53c1296.png

Archived