Rocket indoor plumbing

1 minute ago, Smife said:

This new module room mechanic looks ridiculous, wrong and doesn't fit in with ONI gameplay imo.

I don't agree, IMO this is very ONI. 

On top of that, I remember someone sometime ago suggested this kind of rocket planning :) Nice to see that community ideas are being rewarded by implementation

8 minutes ago, Smife said:

Maybe. It's just, how do you suppose to keep track of multiple colonies and a dupe living in a spaceship on top of that. Feels...messy?

Well, be that as it may. Many people asked for expanding to different planets.

And it seems that klei is willing to deliver on it.

I also think it might be very stressful to manage multiple colonies/rockets at once. Especially when it becomes too many.

But then again, the goal for each colony should be to be stable running. So if that was the case, you shouldnt have too much stress there either.

Additionally, it seems to me that the world size (of each planet) has been reduced (maybe just for the alpha).

And finally, it is an alpha. If there are things feeling quirky, try to provide constructive feedback. Klei has proven to be reading and reacting to it.

27 minutes ago, Smife said:

Maybe. It's just, how do you suppose to keep track of multiple colonies and a dupe living in a spaceship on top of that. Feels...messy?

Honestly, it's a welcome change... I mean, previously, sending them off into a rocket with virtually no requirements to keep them alive... felt cheaty. Too easy to exploit survival of a colony by keeping them in rockets. This balances that exploit out.

Last time when I reached space age, my colony didn't require my attention. Dupes knew what to do, the most important segments were automated. But building space scanners, rockets and silos and everything took AAAGEEEESSS..... So my gameplay was: wake up 6am, schedule some tasks, let dupes do them and go back to sleep, wake up at 10am, confrim nothing was finished... I loved the game, but it felt... well... somewhere between boring and not playing at all. Managing several asteroids at once seems to remove this issue, or at least mitigate it - when one of my bases would advance and my attention is no longer needed there, I can colonise new world. I like that change a lot.

If you are having troubles with managing several colonies at once, maybe it means you colonised 2nd world too early?

2 hours ago, Smife said:

This new module room mechanic looks ridiculous, wrong and doesn't fit in with ONI gameplay imo.

The good thing is, its a whole DLC. You dont need to even buy it, if you dont like the new mechanics. You can just stick to the original and have as much fun as you want with that. Its meant as an addon with different gameplay. If this does not suit your pleasure, skip it. No one will be mad at you. Its your game. Play it like you like it.

2 hours ago, Smife said:

Respectful disagree.  I have really been enjoying the gameplay loop, and I think it will be interesting to see how it gets fleshed out

52 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

The good thing is, its a whole DLC.

I mentioned the rocket, not the whole DLC. I love what they've done so far, but should anybody try to be sus about Klei's decisions the whole forum (ONI in particular) gets triggered. The idea of multiple worlds is cool and should exist, but I didn't expect it to be implemented in such a way. Atm I can't imagine leaving my colony idle while expanding the other, all I'm saying. Didn't expect the DLC to be that game changing, not to mention massive, a welcome thing ofc.

29 minutes ago, Smife said:

Atm I can't imagine leaving my colony idle while expanding the other

Some asteroids look like they should be left to idle, especially once you completely core them out of useful/desired resources. The niobium/magma asteroid for example clearly isn't intended for permanent habitation after all the initial niobium has been removed. All that's left after that point is waiting for the niobium volcano to erupt to replenish that asteroid's single export resource.

The DLC is taking a single core game feature "Renewable resources are in space" and then making sure e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in that process is featured in play time... Rather than just abstracting out as "20kg Niobium per 40 cycles. Click this button to 'build a colony' and get 20.1kg Niobium per 39 cycles."

Which leads back to Zerat's original post. By making the internal space of a rocket be a real volume, it lets players who engineer solutions design their own thing rather than just pressing one button. For players who are not engineers, there are other game features that exist to mitigate the issues they encounter, like exosuits. If those features don't exist it's because this is an alpha that's directing players away from just blindly re-applying old solutions. The capsule to transport 10 dupes is "intended" to just have 10 beds inside it, but you can put other things inside for better life support for 1 dupe.

If the gameplay is compelling the design is on the correct course.

1 hour ago, Machenoid said:

If the gameplay is compelling the design is on the correct course.

Perfect sentiment

ONI is on the right course, Once the (current)mechanics are polished it will have incredibly broad applications. Remarkable, even. Incredibly compelling.

9 hours ago, zerat said:

Here's my best attempt, anyone have better/more optimized?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but there's no way to pipe outside of the module so bottling in and out is the only way I believe.

snip11.png

Hmm. No food storage?

8 hours ago, blash365 said:

But then again, the goal for each colony should be to be stable running. So if that was the case, you shouldnt have too much stress there either.

Very much so. I do understand that some people like a micromanagement-style, but that is not a good fit for the DLC. You will either have to go for unsupervised stability or play with things frequently paused. As my own "win" goal is always fully unsupervised running, the DLC fits perfectly, but I do get that this is not the case for everybody. In this case, there will be some rework of the base game as well and maybe that is better for some people. 

33 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I see our rockets will look very different ;-)

Ah actually I did think of a way to fit food.  Non-perishables required, of course.  Conveyer system with priorities that prevent dupes from loading and unloading in a loop with manual use turned on gives celling-mounted storage solution not just for food but for anything else too like algae.  

I'm letting it run for a while to see what problems may exist.  Immediately apparent is that there will be CO2 buildup, and that with a battery and an oxygen diffuser that temperatures will eventually climb.  If we're being reasonable and cut out the shower there's plenty of room for a carbon skimmer, after all we already have a water loop.  Temperature is harder but I would guess that in the extreme long term, the loading of consistently room temperature food and algae will hold the temps down, but I'm not sure.  I'll put up another version that's a bit more practical in a bit as I figure it out.  The reason for doing any of this is to eliminate the need for a dirt source to run an outhouse forever even in late game.  I also really wish there was one hex open for a mess table.

snip12.png

I'd say dump some ice or snow in the pit where the clear water is? that would help with temperature management a bit (im not playing the dlc yet but that's my first thought)

edit: or have it in the conveyor above the pit so it can slowly melt into it. You'd just have to unload excess water at some point

Current tests/works in progress:

Requires a little setup and deconstructing to get going but a toilet loop can save a lot of space.  Can even pipe overflow pwater to a hydroponic tile with a reed in it to completely eliminate the water loading/unloading problem.  Downside is heat management is now mandatory for the plant and filtration medium must also be stored.

Second image is me doodling with temperature control ideas, and even floating the idea of using an electrolyzer for o2 and burning off the h2.  Obviously this doesn't work as is and probably something far more crude than an ST+AT combo will be needed for temp control, but it is a good thought though since the limiting factor I've found currently to be algae storage being somewhat limited, and also noting that the toilet loop is producing excess water.  Also, if it's possible to tile in enough industrial machinery in the top floor, it doesn't even need to be ladder accessible, saving a column of tiles.

snip13.png

snip14.png

1 hour ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

So you think showers are more important than food.

That is why I commented that I would do this quite differently ;-)

I am also wondering how to do all this in the _small_ capsule. I think the only Oxygen solution there is Oxylite, CO2 removal will be impossible, and there will not be any possibility to wash hands after using the outhouse and forget about a cot. Probably ok for 10 cycles max or so, but not any longer. From the size of the space map, that should be plenty though.

Damn, I should have made a screenshot of how I did the small capsule. I managed to cram both food and O2 in there for 10+ cycles easily. Only downsides are CO2 buildup and no toilet.

I did have a solution for the 'no toilet' problem, although I don't think my dupes like it very much.. atmo suits. If they wear one of those, they can soil themselves in that and it won't spill all over the rocket.

Here's my small nosecone design:

C0DBCFA3B77F0E4DC08BC40A5902D2A5C2DE86AC

As I said no toilet is the only issue. Annoyingly, atmo suits are a little buggered because if you manually remove a suit from a dupe, they will keep the soiled debuff indefinitely. Oh, I also found out that if an ugly crier cries inside a suit, their tears get stored as well.

Archived