What's your thoughts about Warly?

He seems like an unfinished project. In fact, I vaguely remember someone saying that the devs wanted to add more to him after they released him, although please fact check me on that because I only heard it from a secondary source. He is very grindy early game, and once you complete the set up for his grind, you don't have to stay as him once you cook everything.

I've come to REALLY love his downsides, as crippling as they may seem when compared to every other character. The downside is more or less an incentive to play the character as a chef. I remember I used to think his downside was the worst in the game until I recently realized that I've never actually died due to any of them. They were just there to punish me if I didn't prepare correctly, and knowing that made me never put myself in that situation.

I do wish he would get more buff dishes, because the ones we have are either REALLY good or just too underwhelming to ever actually make. We haven't received any new Chef Specials since he came out and the only seasoning we got was salt which honestly... isn't anything special.

I also think he needs a character perk for him, not just the team. I apologize but I cannot remember who suggested it, but someone had an amazing idea to just give him 1.5x or 2x multiplier on the timer for buffs from crockpot dishes/spices. Something as simple as that would go a long way with this character.

Other than those things the only thing that could use some work are farms/seeds. That's a discussion for another thread though. All in all Warly can be a powerhouse if you know how to use him, and even better if you know how to use character swapping.

Well, put it this way.  I would rather use a _mod_ to put in a whole NEW thing to worry about (Thirst)...than deal with Warly's hunger.  And in fact I've done that multiple times.

He's a cool character concept but his downside already annoyed me in Shipwrecked, and it's even WORSE in DST!  I like his backstory, personality and design but he's just too "babysitty" for me to enjoy playing.  I also tend to play alone, so playing as a support character to support...NOBODY really doesn't work.  I also don't tend to swap, so I like to pick a character I know I can stand to play/do well as long-term.

All of this is why Warly doesn't really work for me.  I'd be thrilled if I saw a Warly played by _somebody else_ who knew what they were doing as part of a team on a public or a friend's server, and I'd thank them for their good work...but there's no way that person would be me.

...at least, not for long.  (Name) has died of Starvation!  He became a spooky ghost!

...Notorious

I enjoy everything about Warly. I like his downside. Quite challenging but fun for experienced players with good recipe memory (that's me). Also he can provide more buffs to team than any other character. And he has good voice, I can just hear his french accent in his steel drum. About backstory, I always craft End Table just for his string about withered flower.

After some thought, I think Warly could use some very minor and harmless buffs to start things off: These buffs are mostly to improve the quality of life for Warly players.

• Redistribute the hunger value of the seasoning ingredients into his dishes. Seasoned dishes should give +15 more bonus hunger to cover the 28 or so hunger that the 3 seasoning ingredients have.
  • Increase Warly's chance to get Onion, Pepper and Garlic from a farm if Warly is the one who plants the seed. Increase the 2.6% chance of these crops to 5.2% and reduce 2.6% chance to get Watermelon and Carrots, and reduce 1.3% from Durian and Pomegranate.
  • Increase Warly's chance to get an extra crop seed from feeding Pepper, Onion and Garlic crops to birds. This can be an extra 10% to 25%. This makes is so Warly doesn't  need 12 farm plots to sustain 1 seasoning crop. Through this method, perhaps Warly will only need 21-24 or so Advanced Farms to get by.
  • Warly can gather honey from bee boxes without being attacked. He's a nice guy, right? So maybe the birds, bees and the plants all like him a little more. I dunno, you lore it out. I'm just focused on the mechanics.

3 hours ago, ryvrdrgn14 said:

Increase Warly's chance to get Onion, Pepper and Garlic from a farm if Warly is the one who plants the seed. Increase the 2.6% chance of these crops to 5.2% and reduce 2.6% chance to get Watermelon and Carrots, and reduce 1.3% from Durian and Pomegranate.

Or just make farming not terrible, that benefits more than Warly. The only thing that specifically Warly needs is 2x duration on food effects to mitigate the pick and swap aspect of the character.

50 minutes ago, FairyInABottle said:

I'm not a fan of characters whose strength "fix" their weakness or characters that I need to have a guide open because they have too much to remember. It's too much work to feel normal, let alone feel like I have an advantage.

I used to think like this and then I realized basically every character has an upside which combats their downside. Wendy for example has lower damage and her Sister essentially negates that. Or Maxwell a character who gets constant sanity back but is based around working with sanity and nightmare fuel. Warly to his credit can utilize food well and has a larger stomach which allows him a longer time without eating (90/250 per day instead of 75/150), but he ironically doesn't use food in an interesting way to make him more than a niche switch character. I don't want new food tabs or "portable" but only situationally useful new food machines, I want a character with a genuine playstyle that doesn't feel like a burden to play. I like Warly for what he is, but I don't like how he didn't "spice up" how players use food. Alright rant done.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:14 AM, Zeklo said:

I'm frankly not fond of playing him (and still salty we didn't get Gorge Goat cook instead).

Perhaps you will be pleased when you read Wortox's NEXTCHARACTER quotes in the files.

GENERIC = "Hyuyu, what are you up to %s?"

ATTACKER = "Don't get my goat, little %s!"

MURDERER = "Eep! Don't slaughter me!"

REVIVER = "Thank-you, thank-you, little goat!"

GHOST = "Don't worry, I'm not hungry"

FIRESTARTER = "Little goat, you played pranks without me!"

I don't know how reliable these are since these have been here for a long time, right when he came out, but perhaps they suggest something?

5 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Perhaps you will be pleased when you read Wortox's NEXTCHARACTER quotes in the files.

I don't know how reliable these are since these have been here for a long time, right when he came out, but perhaps they suggest something?

Wow, I completely forgot about that. I genuinely thought those were strings for Wurt, but I checked the wiki now and they are not. 

(That said, given that those files were in the game code for well over a year by now, it's possible Klei started working on something than came up with something else and the "goat character" won't become a thing in the near future.)

9 minutes ago, GrandTardigrade said:

Wow, I completely forgot about that. I genuinely thought those were strings for Wurt, but I checked the wiki now and they are not. 

(That said, given that those files were in the game code for well over a year by now, it's possible Klei started working on something than came up with something else and the "goat character" won't become a thing in the near future.)

Or perhaps this goat character will arrive some day.

35 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Weren't those removed? I coulda swore they got removed around the time Wurt was released.

Archived