Please fix the heirloom skins!

I posted this in the update thread but I decided it needed a post of its own.

Im really happy about the update in general.... however as a purchaser of creepy cauldron and Maxwell krampus costume through the community market, this update causes a huge monetary loss. The cauldron itself cost me around 12 USD, yet now the whole collection costs less than that. I wanted to treat myself to buying this as its a special skin which I rarely see around. I'm no collector or anything, this is one of the rare times I buy these things (and I bought it last week....). 

I totally understand that everyone should be able to get their hands on it for less $$, but are these heirloom quality items please able to have a difference to the weaveable one? For example, a bloom effect, glowing, sparkling, recoloured, or ANYTHING. We should have 1) an incentive to buy the more expensive items and 2) be assured when buying expensive item that it will stay special. It does not have to be all heirloom items, maybe just the elegant ones as they are the priciest and rarest. Example for cauldron: change goo and tentacle colour or change the couldron colour

Just please make it distinguishable because this is killing the rare item market and those who actually choose to buy these items. So many of the items today are now basically worthless. As a participator in the community market, I am now going to be so so much more hesitant to buy higher priced items and I'm sure anyone who bought these skins such as the higher priced Wendy Lureplant or Deerfrid feel similar.

At minimum could you heavily increase the spool worth?

Another reason the heirloom should be different is the fact that for a duplicate item, it clogs up the inventory when there is no real difference. At least if there was a difference it would make sense to have both in the inventory. This is a big issue right now as tens of items are now unnecessarily duplicated resulting in a huge inventory, it looks crazy!

EDIT: To those who think its not affecting the market, it is, people are dumping their items.

EDIT 2:  Yes I know its worth 3x spools = 1350 for cauldron... this is not enough for the value of the item

8 minutes ago, Mellyboo said:

At minimum could you heavily increase the spool worth?

I think all heirloom items are already at a higher spool worth when unraveling.

Although it's nice to have a distinguishing feature for heirloom skins, their price will most likely stay the same or rise on the market. The reason being is that they are collector items that will no longer be available after this Hallowed Nights, so if you wait a while, the price will inflate like those Guest of Honor Heirloom skins and you can sell them and be happy for your profit or make enough to earn back the initial cost, if that's what you're worried about.

25 minutes ago, Knowbodie said:

I think all heirloom items are already at a higher spool worth when unraveling.

Although it's nice to have a distinguishing feature for heirloom skins, their price will most likely stay the same or rise on the market. The reason being is that they are collector items that will no longer be available after this Hallowed Nights, so if you wait a while, the price will inflate like those Guest of Honor Heirloom skins and you can sell them and be happy for your profit or make enough to earn back the initial cost, if that's what you're worried about.

The higher spool worth of 3x doesn't do the cost justice. Some items maybe, but these $10+ items not at all.

I don't think they should give them some sort of increased spool reward when unraveling or some fancy in-game vfx, I think they should just get a shinier icon in the crafting menu/belongings list. If you increase spool value then people are just gonna mass buy the cheapest heirloom skins and unravel them for quick spools creating a mass extinction of fictional video game items

4 minutes ago, PigfridReal said:

I don't think they should give them some sort of increased spool reward when unraveling or some fancy in-game vfx, I think they should just get a shinier icon in the crafting menu/belongings list. If you increase spool value then people are just gonna mass buy the cheapest heirloom skins and unravel them for quick spools creating a mass extinction of fictional video game items

People already do this with skins though. And this will help increase its value on the market. It won't stay stable at a low price, it will rise. The value of an item and its rarity is quite linear from what I've seen. There are a few exceptions but the value of a spool is generally stable.

What's the difference between these two skins?
At least there's no difference in game.

same color, same animation, same effect..

this crockpot skin that I bought at market is now worthless.

they have to differentiate skins by raising skin's rarity.

until now I bought skins because I like Klei but I was disappointed.. 

Artboard 1.png

It was only a matter of time before the old skins got updated to the new spool system. I'm not that surprised.

Market prices are either a steal or a scam. At least you have something (in name), not available ever again. With the added bonus of never needing to sell your arm & leg to acquire a skin you want in the future.

This is coming from someone who had a Guest of Honor Wendy before her rework.

35 minutes ago, MMR said:

What's the difference between these two skins?
At least there's no difference in game.

same color, same animation, same effect..

this crockpot skin that I bought at market is now worthless.

they have to differentiate skins by raising skin's rarity.

until now I bought skins because I like Klei but I was disappointed.. 

Artboard 1.png

There's absolutely no difference. The only way you can tell they're different is in the menu you're looking at now. In game it is cosmetically and functionally the same. Sad crockpot gang :( They actually did raise the rarity, but it doesn't make a difference apart from being able to unravel it for 1350 spools... (easy to get....)

10 minutes ago, Mellyboo said:

There's absolutely no difference. The only way you can tell they're different is in the menu you're looking at now. In game it is cosmetically and functionally the same. Sad crockpot gang :( They actually did raise the rarity, but it doesn't make a difference apart from being able to unravel it for 1350 spools... (easy to get....)

Well for console players- those of us on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 you can not buy, sell or trade any skins between other players- In fact the only thing you CAN do with them is trade them to the NPC Trade Inn guy or Unravel them for Spools.

I suppose that this is the reasoning as to why these heirloom rarity skins are becoming a thing? It’s basically the same skin.. just worth more spools should you choose to unravel it I think. :) 

Hope this helps

Probably this situation should be a "cautionary tale" for people not to buy overpriced goodies from Steam Market. Most often than not, when scarcity/rarity is high, suppliers lucky enough to get their hands on said rare goodies propose to the market "insane" prices; and find others willing to give such outrageous sums on a whim, basically maintaining outrageous standards for all the rest. Profiteers are all over Steam Market, and is a welcomed change imo that KLei finally decided to sell themselves the very-rare Halloween Belongings, at affordable costs (not to mention they are also weavable with spools in-game). I too bought in past, when it was around 1.5E, the Macabre Birdcage yet am fine with current situation. I, willingly, gave my money to a random Steam user and KLei has nothing to do with my decision, and now shouldn't be responsible for what, in the end, was my action, giving in to my desire for gratification.

I must agree that buying anything on the Steam market is essentially an exercise in speculation (like the stock market) and that items can and do fluctuate in price.

There are two main factors at play for why the cauldron price dropped: Heirloom rarity and Hallowed Nights.

Heirloom rarity tends to drop an item's price simply because a new weavable Elegant version is available, which tanks demand because now people don't need to buy it on the market to get. For example, the lifetime sales history of Wendy's Guest of Honor:

image.thumb.png.85fc1755287cdfc860bcc0562b3f100f.png

That massive price drop of nearly A$40 coincides almost perfectly with the date of Wendy's rework and the weavable skin becoming available.

Hallowed Nights exclusive unweavables always have a price drop when Hallowed Nights is activated, since the supply goes up. Creepy Cauldron sales:

image.thumb.png.059653684dfb3e0eb40dda37bdc1d3a8.png

Where the price has dipped every October and slowly rebuilds until the next October.

Your Cauldron has dropped in price because of both factors. For Hallowed Nights skins especially, if you ever wanted to buy them before now, buying them closer to the end of Hallowed Nights, when the price has bottomed for the year, was the best choice.

Unfortunately, you probably bought it at an inopportune time, and now that it has gone Heirloom, the value won't quite recover. Again, that's just how the market speculation game works. The Steam market tends to overprice rarer items, so you must be aware that anything you buy that costs more than about A$1-2 could be anywhere from an amazing investment to a total loss monetarily.

Honestly I think you pay for what you get. I bought nearly all the Roseate skins including the Rose Spear back when they were well over 20$ a pop and now most of them are available as an elegant skin, and the rose spear itself dropped in price significantly when they changed how skin-drops work.  I think I paid 57$ for it in its prime if I remember correctly.

I don't really regret my purchases though, I bought them knowing that I was being impatient.  It's also quite easy to ''predict'' Klei would start doing this. After they started reworking characters, their skins have been being sold in Kleis own store rather than being given out as drops. You can see a trend starting to develop even way back when they started their first Forge event(before you could buy the belongings in a particular event and had to weave them).  They probably noticed that many players were buying the outfit sets multiple times simply to unravel them and make the belongings(I'm guilty of this).  Which probably led them to realizing people actually like them having the skins up on the market and that their profits can go up if they just sold them through their own store rather than rely on very rare drops to keep player retention.

I wasn't sure what they would add for Hallowed Nights, but I was absolutely sure it would devalue a lot of skins because Klei has transitioned into selling their skins or locking them behind streaming exclusives and merchandise exclusives for a long time now and I can only really say you should have seen this coming years ago.

Where's the worth in an item that is so expensive that players usually have a 1/???% chance of even seeing it? At that point, why should it even exist? I feel like this heirloom system makes it more fair for everyone. Nobody has to feel like a victim of the market's egregious prices.

6 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

I bought skins such as horror cauldron in the market a long time ago. In this incident, the people who felt angry were basically merchants who wanted to make money by reselling the market. So I think it’s okay. I support Klei’s approach.

Em, no, I don't resell skins, I just don't want a situation when full The Survivor set costs less than a head only

I bought the original cauldron, but that was in early December of last year when prices were at what was, until now, their lowest ever. I got to have the skin for ten and a half months before it became weaveable and I didn't break the bank to get it, so I don't feel slighted.

It wouldn't be the first time I bought a skin and later found that its price had fallen to half or less, but I'm not using them as investment properties, I'm using them to make my game more colorful and fun. I don't usually resell skins at all unless I know I won't actually want to use them and have a better use for the money, as was the case when I had a Hallowed Light last year and wanted Wortox. (The sprite's cute, but the Tragic Torch's smoke trail is better in every way; I might weave a replacement now that I have the opportunity though.) And I try not to spend more than $10 CAD on a skin, generally. If a skin rises much above that - I might go to $15 as my upper limit if it's really good, as with the cauldron - then I just won't buy it. Which is exactly why I didn't buy GoH Wendy until the weaveable version came out, because I can't justify dropping fifty bucks or more on a skin for a character I don't even play that often just because I think it looks nice. Similarly, I waited years for the Rose Pike to drop to a reasonable price instead of paying big bucks to have it quickly.

Man, I'm not really into the selfishness that I'm reading.  Sorry if this is going to be rude, but it's totally your fault.  There is something called supply and demand, every year this skin drastically decreases the price at halloween time, now you want them to have a differential just because you bought it out of season is something so selfish, that I am totally not believing what I read  .  Treat this as a teaching not to pay absurd prices on games if you can't, klei selling skins in the game itself is just a way to correct these absurd prices that people put on the steam market, which you want is kind of a way  to remain in error.  Please man, get better.  Nothing I typed was intended to attack in any way, it was just the way I expressed myself.

There are several things that have been said that I agree with and others that just wrongly assume things about me and others who bought these skins.

3 hours ago, cropo said:

....Klei has transitioned into selling their skins or locking them behind streaming exclusives and merchandise exclusives for a long time now and I can only really say you should have seen this coming years ago.

Years ago? Who said anything about being a veteran at this game. I’ve been playing for 2 months at most. In fact, I can see how this would appeal to newer players like myself even MORE because we get to have skins of our own without playing ridiculous hours or afking servers. Why are our purchases devalued? How were we supposed to know that steam skins can suddenly become available to weave? There was no evidence of this to an inexperienced eye, I did not once see heirloom skins and normal skins next to each other in the inventory. 

1 hour ago, Pikapikap said:

I bought skins such as horror cauldron in the market a long time ago. In this incident, the people who felt angry were basically merchants who wanted to make money by reselling the market. So I think it’s okay. I support Klei’s approach.

No, I did not want to resell this item. I wanted it because it looked cool and it was rare. If it was not rare, I would NOT have purchased it. That is part of its value. 

Unfortunately, unlike yourself and cameo who said they got 10 months out of it I only enjoyed the exclusivity of this item for less than a week. So I did not get value out of this item at all. Cameo did not feel it was unfair because they got value out of it. 

6 hours ago, CobaltGengar said:

Unfortunately, you probably bought it at an inopportune time, and now that it has gone Heirloom, the value won't quite recover. Again, that's just how the market speculation game works. The Steam market tends to overprice rarer items, so you must be aware that anything you buy that costs more than about A$1-2 could be anywhere from an amazing investment to a total loss monetarily.

Again, as a relatively inexperienced player, how was I going to know that these items have the potential to become worthless? From the price history that is available to us, the prices always were high, which confirmed to me that these items are staying high value, although fluctuating. Steam to my knowledge doesn’t show years of item history so unless you’re a veteran you wouldn’t be privy to this.

Of course, I know better now that I’ve experienced this happening, and I would not buy high value skins any longer. I had been thinking of buying the Tesla coil skin as well (yes the price is sky high - but who is anyone to judge someone else’s hobby spending habits....?) but now I don’t think I will ever buy this skin in case this happens again. 

Archived