Please fix the heirloom skins!

45 minutes ago, MewUra said:

Man, I'm not really into the selfishness that I'm reading.  Sorry if this is going to be rude, but it's totally your fault.  There is something called supply and demand, every year this skin drastically decreases the price at halloween time, now you want them to have a differential just because you bought it out of season is something so selfish, that I am totally not believing what I read  .  Treat this as a teaching not to pay absurd prices on games if you can't, klei selling skins in the game itself is just a way to correct these absurd prices that people put on the steam market, which you want is kind of a way  to remain in error.  Please man, get better.  Nothing I typed was intended to attack in any way, it was just the way I expressed myself.

Read my above post, I’m a newer player. You’re the third person to assume I’ve gone through multiple seasonal events. This is my very first seasonal event.

....you are definitely intending to attack me when you imply that I cannot afford these items. It’s not about that at all. Yes, I rarely treat myself. That doesn’t mean I don’t have the capacity to buy whatever item I want on steam.... 

Many games have rare items which have insane price tags, much much higher than don’t starve in the 10s of thousands of dollars. Selling exclusivity has always been around, whether video games, trading cards or handbags. 

I honestly don’t see how it is selfish to want something special and pay the price for it. That’s the deal with anything. 

I have to get better? I have to learn a lesson not to support and enjoy the game that I play (by buying it’s products)? 

I clearly said I want everyone to have access to the skin(s). I only want a minor difference to the skin which would only be obtainable through steam trade (as I believed it would be...).

And as a new player I’m learning new things, and I guess the item market is one of them and what to buy and what not to buy. 

4 minutes ago, Mellyboo said:

Of course, I know better now that I’ve experienced this happening, and I would not buy high value skins any longer. I had been thinking of buying the Tesla coil skin as well (yes the price is sky high - but who is anyone to judge someone else’s hobby spending habits....?) but now I don’t think I will ever buy this skin in case this happens again. 

Unless you live somewhere that they either won't ship to or would charge twice as much for shipping as for the product, I suggest getting the Funko pop. I looked on Amazon just now and they had one for about the same amount as the lantern, plus you get a little vinyl Wilson and Chester for your desk/bookshelf/whatever.

3 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

Unless you live somewhere that they either won't ship to or would charge twice as much for shipping as for the product, I suggest getting the Funko pop. I looked on Amazon just now and they had one for about the same amount as the lantern, plus you get a little vinyl Wilson and Chester for your desk/bookshelf/whatever.

I read about this. Unfortunately I live in Australia and it’s not available anywhere at the moment :( and getting it shipped costs about the same as just buying it on steam anyway :p 

but thank you so much for the suggestion 

you know what as a console player who is 100% oblivious to what the Steam Market even is or how it operates I think I have the right to say what I am about to say without it offending anyone.

Klei didn’t HAVE to make a Heirloom Elegant version of a skin that can be unraveled for more spool value then what the Elegant version of that skin is Worth.. they could have Easily made it the same exact skin and bam you’d certainly feel ripped off then.

So I see the Heirloom version as being one of two things #1 and most obvious choice- Extra spools from unraveling!

#2- And something I can careless about so the difference between Heirloom Elegant and Woven Elegant are Meaningless to Me, Nothing other than for pure Bragging rights.

Thats it.. that’s literally the only reason the differences even exist it’s the same skin, just worth more if destroyed/bragged about.

And if I am incorrect in this assumption someone please explain in detail as to why. thanks :) 

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

you know what as a console player who is 100% oblivious to what the Steam Market even is or how it operates I think I have the right to say what I am about to say without it offending anyone.

Klei didn’t HAVE to make a Heirloom Elegant version of a skin that can be unraveled for more spool value then what the Elegant version of that skin is Worth.. they could have Easily made it the same exact skin and bam you’d certainly feel ripped off then.

So I see the Heirloom version as being one of two things #1 and most obvious choice- Extra spools from unraveling!

#2- And something I can careless about so the difference between Heirloom Elegant and Woven Elegant are Meaningless to Me, Nothing other than for pure Bragging rights.

Thats it.. that’s literally the only reason the differences even exist it’s the same skin, just worth more if destroyed/bragged about.

And if I am incorrect in this assumption someone please explain in detail as to why. thanks :) 

This is what the topic is about. There is absolutely no difference between the two skins. That’s the problem... I don’t care for the text that says “heirloom” either. That means nothing to me, same as you just said it would mean nothing to you.

You’re absolutely correct in that buying the heirloom version you could unravel it for more spools than the non heirloom version. But I did not buy it to unravel it for spools, nor would that be a good use of my $$ when you can buy 7 cent skins. 

Imagine starting a thread because your overpriced skin is not that overpriced anymore demanding limitations or even more exclusivity. I will never support or understand this.

How you spend your money is entirely up to you, but you're not owed anything because you dropped 12$ just a week prior. It was worth 12$ last week, now it's not and you should accept that. Every October there's some misguided complaint about the Cauldron being a rip off and the one time where more people get to enjoy it, there's the other side showing it's ugly head, ''but i paid 15 bucks 3 hours ago, now it's not that unique because the peasants get to have it''.

Grow up.

1 minute ago, BellumOmnes said:

Imagine starting a thread because your overpriced skin is not that overpriced anymore demanding limitations or even more exclusivity. I will never support or understand this.

How you spend your money is entirely up to you, but you're not owed anything because you dropped 12$ just a week prior. It was worth 12$ last week, now it's not and you should accept that. Every October there's some misguided complaint about the Cauldron being a rip off and the one time where more people get to enjoy it, there's the other side showing it's ugly head, ''but i paid 15 bucks 3 hours ago, now it's not that unique because the peasants get to have it''.

Grow up.

This.

imo, I only buy skins from various places. I never sell skins in the market. For me, the meaning of skin is to look good. I don’t care if it is worth one dollar or one hundred dollars. If I really like them, then Their value is the same to me. I will buy it. I don't ask others to agree with me. I just want to say that I just simply enjoy the happiness that these beautiful skins made by klei bring me. That's enough. Play games and don't let yourself be like doing a math test.:)

1 minute ago, Mellyboo said:

I thought that was what this whole topic is about. There is absolutely no difference between the two skins. That’s the problem... I don’t care that it says “heirloom”. That means nothing to me, same as you.

You’re correct in that buying the heirloom version you could unravel it for more spools than the non heirloom version. But I did not buy it to unravel it for spools :/ 

Ah well in that case, The only skins that I truly see remaining to be “Rare” as your wanting are the ones that require you to make a physical purchase of a Toy or Plushie from Klei’s store- Because Those skins are exclusive to buying the Proof of Purchase product that comes bundled with them.

The other skins like Creepy Cauldron or Amazing Ringmaster Hat- Those were unlockable either through a limited time in-game event OR as Twitch Stream Rewards.. but ever since Klei introduced THIS website:

https://accounts.klei.com/account/rewards

Previously missed Twitch skins have also been making their way onto that page so players can unlock those by alternative methods.

I personally love that Klei are making these skins more accessible and players can buy directly from Klei now at a reasonable cost instead of buying them from other players at ridiculous 50$+ dollar costs.

11 minutes ago, BellumOmnes said:

Grow up.

Jeez, I think you’re taking it a step too far here. It all depends on the perspective you take on this matter. Would you give this attitude to a collector who pays ridiculous prices for his coin collection? Of course he is going to be upset when suddenly that coin starts being minted again. 

I think I've inadvertently touched on a topic thats been debated for years and I didn't realise this.

Clearly I've pressed people's buttons so I apologise. I just wanted to treat myself to something nice. That is all. I don't think anything else needs to be said. 

3 minutes ago, Mellyboo said:

Jeez, I think you’re taking it a step too far here. It all depends on the perspective you take on this matter. Would you give this attitude to a collector who pays ridiculous prices for his coin collection? Of course he is going to be upset when suddenly that coin starts being printed again. 

damn guys. 

Of course not, they should totally not reprint the same coin or produce the same plastic figurine ever again because this one guy sold his first born to have it. /s

5 minutes ago, BellumOmnes said:

Of course not, they should totally not reprint the same coin or produce the same plastic figurine ever again because this one guy sold his first born to have it. /s

The point is he can feel upset without being attacked. I'm allowed to feel upset as well. I didn't think this would be a big deal so I'm finishing off here.

7 minutes ago, Mellyboo said:

The point is he can feel upset without being attacked. I'm allowed to feel upset as well. I didn't think this would be a big deal so I'm finishing off here.

hey bro We just have different views on things. Everyone has their own understanding. This is normal, but I don’t think this is attacking each other. Have a nice day

Look at things this way- The buying things off the steam market (at least in my understanding of it) means that your purchasing something at an inflated cost from another player outside of Klei services You may have paid 65$ for a skin on the Market and I bet you Klei doesn’t even see 65 cent of profit off that purchase.

Meanwhile buying things directly from Klei’s in-game shop or the Klei store Website, 100% of that profit goes directly to Klei.. and in that regard your directly helping to fund and support all the amazing free content updates Klei pumps out every month for us.

So you lost a few bucks and your items less rare now, it’s a small price to pay for the item to be made more affordable and directly sold by Klei themselves.

It’s like how we used to pay 60$ to watch per pay-per-views and then someone came up with a genius subscription service to where you only pay 5-10$ a month and you get to watch every pay-per-view at a much more affordable cost.

The TL:DR- Klei makes profit.. and in turn, We keep getting free content updates.

I think it’s pretty fair personally if you ask Me :) 

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Look at things this way- The buying things off the steam market (at least in my understanding of it) means that your purchasing something at an inflated cost from another player outside of Klei services You may have paid 65$ for a skin on the Market and I bet you Klei doesn’t even see 65 cent of profit off that purchase.

Meanwhile buying things directly from Klei’s in-game shop or the Klei store Website, 100% of that profit goes directly to Klei.. and in that regard your directly helping to fund and support all the amazing free content updates Klei pumps out every month for us.

So you lost a few bucks and your items less rare now, it’s a small price to pay for the item to be made more affordable and directly sold by Klei themselves.

It’s like how we used to pay 60$ to watch per pay-per-views and then someone came up with a genius subscription service to where you only pay 5-10$ a month and you get to watch every pay-per-view at a much more affordable cost.

The TL:DR- Klei makes profit.. and in turn, We keep getting free content updates.

I agree with your opinion.

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah. That makes sense to me :)

10 hours ago, Zeklo said:

This is coming from someone who had a Guest of Honor Wendy before her rework.

:shock:

1427608284_Screenshot2020-10-23at09_23_13.thumb.png.1fcecc5dc6cef30a959b7147a8a6ab3a.png

On a related note - now that costume collection was converted, is there a reason to roll at the trade-inn during this event? I see the price of spiffies rising a bit, would be cool if the increased odds were get but now got you items from the other collections.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You may have paid 65$ for a skin on the Market and I bet you Klei doesn’t even see 65 cent of profit off that purchase.

I'll take that bet and collect my winnings - Developer's fee on the steam market is 10% and rounded up to nearest ¢.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Meanwhile buying things directly from Klei’s in-game shop or the Klei store Website, 100% of that profit goes directly to Klei.

Not sure about Klei store, but in-game shop definitely doesn't net all the revenue to Klei, it's provided through Steamworks, and would be subject to those fees. Can't find an authoritative info, but chances are good some 30% goes to Valve.

9 minutes ago, myxal said:

:shock:

1427608284_Screenshot2020-10-23at09_23_13.thumb.png.1fcecc5dc6cef30a959b7147a8a6ab3a.png

On a related note - now that costume collection was converted, is there a reason to roll at the trade-inn during this event? I see the price of spiffies rising a bit, would be cool if the increased odds were get but now got you items from the other collections.

I'll take that bet and collect my winnings - Developer's fee on the steam market is 10% and rounded up to nearest ¢.

I didn’t mention these market percentages. I just agree with some of the views mentioned by Mike, by the way, I mentioned earlier. Maybe somepeople likes to calculate this and that, I respect these practices,but I just come to play my favorite game and buy my favorite skin.:DI think I have done enough math tests in school.

1 hour ago, myxal said:

I rolled at trade inn with my accumulated common and classy skins an hour ago, since Hallowed Nights and Winter's Feast usually increase the chances of getting season specific skins. It is also the same time where the steam market trend changes drastically since more of these skins = more people wanting to sell them.

(Also good way to declutter my inventory since it caused trade inn to lag twice /jk)

27 minutes ago, MilesUpshore said:

I rolled at trade-inn with my accumulated common and class skins an hour ago, since Hallowed Nights and Winter's Feast usually increase the chances of getting season specific skins. It is also the same time where the steam market trend changes drastically since more of these skins = more people wanting to sell them.

(Also good way to declutter my inventory since it caused trade inn to lag twice /jk)

Thanks. Classy and common exchanges probably won't tell me the interesting bits (which collection, if any, is targeted for distinguished/elegant drops), but there's something you could tell me - can you estimate the %-age of "higher-than-default-rarity outcome of trade inn exchange"?

Last year, I rolled a ton of classies and spiffies that dropped from those, and with both rarities, the outcome's rarity was 1 level higher than default in about 30% of the cases, much higher than outside the event. I was collecting cheap spiffies throughout the year to get my hands on some elegants this year, but with the Costume collection being converted, I have no idea if I should even go ahead with the rolling.

1 hour ago, myxal said:

I traded in some excess commons and classies and got an Heirloom Distinguished Woodie body so for this year at least the costumes are still available this way.

Over a year ago I spent around 20 dollars total to get the Hallowed Light and Cauldron skins on the Market. I'm not upset about the situation at all, but I will say that it surprised me to know Klei made them weavable this year. I knew the risk I took a year ago and lemme tell ya, I don't regret it for one second; I was so excited to get my hands on those skins and it made my day to finally see them in my inventory when I got them.

Archived