I just need to tell this to somebody

This isnt a vent or anything I just need to tell somebody atm. So was fighting fuelweaver a couple times with my friend so we could kill it for the first time since we been avoiding him.  So I reroll and we come to a character select screen. Then that's when I realize my my 610 day world just got deleted. I'm not upset now but I prob will be when I wake up. Can't believe that just happened

I know the pain. Losing an old world unintentionally always sucks. I had a very good world I started to settle in properly and it was deleted bc of a crash that wouldn't let me interact with the game while dogs killed me and timer ran out. 

It happens sometimes and we gotta deal with it, but it still absolutely sucks. 

1 minute ago, Owlrus said:

Dang, sorry for your loss; currently worried about that myself since I got a good thing going with my day 150+ world. Wish there was a way to back-up worlds in the case of a loss (be it accidental or intentional).

Yes that would be a nice feature. I just need to hurry and get myself situated on a new world in time for the update.

6 minutes ago, Truffle said:

Yes that would be a nice feature. I just need to hurry and get myself situated on a new world in time for the update.

If your world is deleted your better off waiting for the new update before starting the world, Retro-fitting content into existing worlds doesn’t place it as greatly as creating a brand new world with the content properly generated will.

But ultimately thats your call my man, or err woman* You decide what you want to do and I’m sorry you lost your world save. :( 

It's not perfect, but you can actually backup your worlds by going to Documents\klei\DoNotStarveTogether\(insert numbers here) and then copying the cluster folder of your world (which should be numbered based on the save slot the world is in) somewhere else. It's a bit finicky to load a backup like that, I believe you have to generate a world + its caves in that save slot and then replace its files with your backup, but it does eventually work.

59 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But ultimately thats your call my man, or err woman*

It's generally best to avoid unnecessary gendered language when talking to a stranger, since it's both incredibly awkward and noninclusive to call someone a man and then leave a "or woman" disclaimer like that.

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

so you clicked regenerate world instead of rollback?

I always had the fear that i would do it to, but somehow it has yet to happen to me.

Perhaps, they all died during the afw fight and roll backed. Since it was in the cave, server takes longer to load, when the clock run out, the world regened - due to the roll back was possibly too late or they have a slow computer/latop.

Or may be it is a bug (or mod problem), because there is another bug report in the same situation:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/world-regenerates-instead-of-rolling-back-r25572/

In this case, OP should grab the server log and report it in bug tracker.

i've experienced the same thing, but for different reason.

I just started to DFly and electricity just shutted off. When I launched my world, I started on character select screen. I've thought "wth?" and chose my character. Seconds later I realized that my world is lost, and the only backup of it was made 40 game days earlier.

Then I thought "screw it!" and started an entirely new game in the same world (thanks to API Gem Core and it's seed feature).

5 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's not perfect, but you can actually backup your worlds by going to Documents\klei\DoNotStarveTogether\(insert numbers here) and then copying the cluster folder of your world (which should be numbered based on the save slot the world is in) somewhere else. It's a bit finicky to load a backup like that, I believe you have to generate a world + its caves in that save slot and then replace its files with your backup, but it does eventually work.

I'm sadly on console so I wouldnt be able to do that but it's good that there is technically a way to get your worlds back

If you have ps+ they should do weekly auto cloud saves for you. It saved my bacon a few times. Just press start on the game icon in your dash , it will bring up options and save backup should be among them . Not sure if xbox does the same for gold members ? At least auto backup anyway. Hope you can recover it.

oh man, i had a basebuilding world where that happened. i had an accidental emergency exit from the game and when i got back on it sent me to the character select screen to start a new world. i totally feel you there. here is hoping it isnt too grindingly terrible for you when you wake up

I don’t think there is a way for console players to recover lost worlds and if there is I have yet to figure it out.. :( I lost my Halloween world last year.. it made me really sad, And I haven’t really kept any *Long Lasting* worlds ever since then..

If you were on Xbox One last year during WintersFeast and have unlocked the Tragic Torch skin there was a very nasty Xbox One exclusive bug that when having that Torch equipped.. would freeze and then power off your Xbox console. It was horrible! And it lasted for quite some time before Klei was able to fix it.

But LUCKILY the kind folks at Klei put out a nice notification about the nasty glitch and told everyone to simply stop using the skin until they could get it fixed. <3

This of Course- Did NOT stop grieving players who used this Forbidden Knowledge to their advantage by intentionally crashing everyone’s game, but the good news is such a nasty thing was patched as soon as Klei could get to it.

The NEXT Month However Year of The Carrat worked flawlessly.. that was up until after the event ended and if you still had a Carrat (or bought one from Carrat Shrine) and placed him onto a podium to inspect him- You would crash the game again like Tragic Torch.

I do not know if this YoTC bug was ever fixed.. because as soon as I figured out WHAT was causing the crashing I hammered down the bugged Structures (All Year of Carrat related content) or started fresh worlds.

To put this into a TL:DR- The two bugs above are by far the worst I’ve seen in DST.. minor things like skins becoming invisible or mobs having bugged textures- those I can live with.. but a bug that straight up freezes and then proceeds to power OFF your console? Those bugs can potentially be harmful to your console itself.. and I am really glad Klei fixes them whenever possible. We have all lost good worlds, either through accidental deletion, bugs like the ones described above, or through player maliciousness.. 

But if you love the game you will endure it, you may be forced to start anew but you will rebuild and repair.

Good Luck! :) 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think there is a way for console players to recover lost worlds and if there is I have yet to figure it out.. :( 

Happened to me so often back in the day. Once a week, I upload saved data to PlayStation online storage. So if I uploaded Sunday, then lose a world On Wednesday, I only lose the progress I made since Sunday. Do this and you’ll never lose another world again. 

8 hours ago, Cheggf said:

On an 82 hour world you didn't have any way to revive yourself?

if u read u would see that it deleted mid reroll so I couldnt do anything. So yes i had revives thats not really the point here...

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But if you love the game you will endure it, you may be forced to start anew but you will rebuild and repair.

Good Luck! :) 

Im with my friends on a new one rn :D

1 minute ago, Truffle said:

if u read u would see that it deleted mid reroll so I couldnt do anything. So yes i had revives thats not really the point here...

Im with my friends on a new one rn :D

Make sure to kill that fuelweaver first try out of pure spite!! Good luck!!

Archived