Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

1 hour ago, SonicDen220 said:

Can anyone show what the terraria whip skin looks like in-game? I also want to see how it looks in the middle of the attack animation.

I can't make a gif for the attack, but I hope this will be enough.

Spoiler

7.thumb.png.5df1bc0a65024027f2424dac7764288d.png8.thumb.png.23b7d335f3e420ec1c98008109799d89.png9.thumb.png.4155987745a58cc24a768fb6d9f21575.png10.thumb.png.58d5e5c5fc1c6931c35a56d7a5af012b.png11.thumb.png.1702815fa144fe05b8e5e7e67c62f09c.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Bearger should spawn 60 seconds after he first growls.

Oof. I henceforth claim this bug as kind-of-not-fixed. He spawned after quitting and relogging however.

Kind of because of this issue: Is there any way to excess a log as detailed as the DS log during playing? I know the console also opens a log, but it seems the main things listed there are if the server is paused or unpaused. I'd really want to see a more detailed list of things going on in the background (for example, in Hamlet the log lists stuff like glowflies respawning, loading interiors, hurt sounds playing etc.)

• Like 1

Is there a mod that allows me to hear during the Moonstorm?

Also is there a mod that makes the sandstorm & moonstorm overlays only partially transparent? I know of CarlZalph's Overlay Disabler but that disables those entirely. I still like them, but they're too powerful and they appear over UI.

Edited by SomebodyRandom
  • Like 4

Why in the name of Moon Pie the friendly pig are there 3 fried tallbird eggs randomly lying on my floor??  I swear I NEVER fried one and surely didn't drop them and nobody else was in my world.. is this a very weird bug?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Falkenpelz said:

Why in the name of Moon Pie the friendly pig are there 3 fried tallbird eggs randomly lying on my floor??  I swear I NEVER fried one and surely didn't drop them and nobody else was in my world.. is this a very weird bug?

Either they were too close to heat sources, you're using a mod to inspect food values, or John Klei's dead brother Werobrine is in your game.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Either they were too close to heat sources, you're using a mod to inspect food values, or John Klei's dead brother Werobrine is in your game.

I am indeed using a mod to inspect food values... why on earth does this spawn exactly three fried eggs on the ground?:D

14 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

I am indeed using a mod to inspect food values... why on earth does this spawn exactly three fried eggs on the ground?:D

I had the same problem though with mandrakes. As they explained to me, the mod is simply not properly made (if we are talking about the same mod). It shows the values of the food using a very strange "workaround", essentially spawning a duplicate of the food and forcing the character to "eat" it to show the value of it's characteristics. So every time you click on a food to inspect it, a copy of it appears somewhere in the world, and, if I remember correctly, a cooked version too, because the mod shows what will happen if you cook something. There are other mods showing food values, so just change it and you should be fine.

2 hours ago, Lokena said:

I had the same problem though with mandrakes. As they explained to me, the mod is simply not properly made (if we are talking about the same mod). It shows the values of the food using a very strange "workaround", essentially spawning a duplicate of the food and forcing the character to "eat" it to show the value of it's characteristics. So every time you click on a food to inspect it, a copy of it appears somewhere in the world, and, if I remember correctly, a cooked version too, because the mod shows what will happen if you cook something. There are other mods showing food values, so just change it and you should be fine.

The only real way to know the stats of an item that doesn't exist is to spawn it in. Spawning in hidden entities is not too uncommon of a practice in mods and in the game, as it is immediately removed from the world on creation and the player sees nothing. Display Food Values does this as well. It spawns in the food in question and removes it from the world leaving no trace (nothing at (0,0,0)) and collects its data. But, if it is cookable it needs stats for the cooked item too. It actually spawns in a campfire, removing it from the world again, and cooks the hidden raw food over the hidden campfire (now this is a bit silly). It then has the stats for the food cooked. Neither the food nor the campfire show up at (0,0,0) and they cause no lag in your world.

So then where does the (0,0,0) food pile come from? Well, cooking the raw food actually spawns in a new cooked prefab. Even though the raw food was removed from the world the cooked food still spawns in as normal at (0,0,0) and is never removed again. And a pile of cooked food amasses.

The mod made a pretty reasonable error. Think of it as a memory leak (except worse because it persists between sessions). So yeah OP, definitely stop using it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

This is actually a very interesting explanation! I don't know anything about code, not really my area, so it's great to hear something that I can understand, haha. Thanks for clearing this up for us.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lokena said:

Holy guacamole, that means, technically there is an accumulation of every food I ever made somewhere in my world?? I'm using "Food Values - Item tooltips", which displays the values upon hovering the mouse over the food -  if it works the described way, there would have to be a godzilliantrillian foodstuffs somewhere though, since you do the hovering a ton of times - and I have never found anything besides the cooked eggs till today... it might operate differently..

Edited by Falkenpelz

16 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

The mod I was talking about is "Display Food Values". And Friendly Grass explained pretty well why this is happening, in its case it's a well-known problem. But I don't know about the mod what you mentioned, so I can't say if it has the same problem or not. Maybe the reason is really in something else. But if a pile of food appears, it will accumulate at the zero coordinates of the world.

Edited by Lokena

46 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

Very interesting insight into modding anyways! I was pretty convinced that mods would be able to simply grab the information about food stats from somewhere in the code and disolay it, is this impossible?

An entity needs to actually exist for that data to be accessible easily, since the mod apparently shows the stats of a cooked food, that cooked food doesnt actually exist, so it makes it exist to pull stats from it.

However, I doubt there wasnt any better option for the modder to go about this. I'm sure there was a much better solution that could've been thought of, this was just the hacky one they opted for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

An entity needs to actually exist for that data to be accessible easily, since the mod apparently shows the stats of a cooked food, that cooked food doesnt actually exist, so it makes it exist to pull stats from it.

However, I doubt there wasnt any better option for the modder to go about this. I'm sure there was a much better solution that could've been thought of, this was just the hacky one they opted for.

I think I'm getting the point now, this reminds me so much of the terrible silly solutions I come up with whenever I'm studying programming, I kind of love this :wilson_ecstatic:

• GL Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

I think I'm getting the point now, this reminds me so much of the terrible silly solutions I come up with whenever I'm studying programming, I kind of love this :wilson_ecstatic:

We all carry terrible sins with us when programming, you, me, even Klei. Whatever happens, it's important we blame the sin, and not the sinner, Amen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

We all carry terrible sins with us when programming, you, me, even Klei. Whatever happens, it's important we blame the sin, and not the sinner, Amen.

I once made a Minecraft map that needed a 3 minute timer. Instead of figuring out how to actually make a proper timer, I made an almost-3min-timer that was powered by a dog walking slowly through a parcour, again and again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have a place near my base which gets hit by meteor, now wanted to know if I can use that area to place my houndius shootiuses. Will houndius shootiuses get destroyed by meteor ? I know that they cant be killed by meteor because of high health and regen but can meteor somehow act like hammer even tho they are not hammerble ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Falkenpelz said:

This is the average programmer experience. I cannot tell you how many times I used a bazillion methods and if statements for one simple task because I couldn't bother figuring out the proper way both because it's a crime and because I can't count.

Edited by SomebodyRandom

16 minutes ago, WendyRunner said:

I have a place near my base which gets hit by meteor, now wanted to know if I can use that area to place my houndius shootiuses. Will houndius shootiuses get destroyed by meteor ? I know that they cant be killed by meteor because of high health and regen but can meteor somehow act like hammer even tho they are not hammerble ?

as far as i know they count as creature since they cant be deconstructer neither hammered so i guess, unless you have veeery bad luck, they wont die cuz meteors dont do so much damage and dont affect the same areas constanly

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, Friendly Grass said:

The only real way to know the stats of an item that doesn't exist is to spawn it in

There are client mods that display item stats. Are they just manually assigned to every item?

• Like 2