Should Sleeping Be Neccesity?

It's not a suggestion thread, it's a discussion thread.

I think it's should be. In the DS I used sleeping to pass winter and summer but in the DST, it's pretty uselles mechanic. You can work instead of sleeping and eating few mushroom could fix your sanity. Even Walter players choose farming bees for candy instead sleep :D .I just don't remember last time I sleep lol...

Imo the mechanic can be like that, Players should have Sleep Meter and this bar would get full empty in 7 seven days. When you sleep for few minutes, bar should be filled. This bar don't have to be visible, it's can be like temperature. Player can understand with character warnings ("I need a nap", "Even warriörs needs sleep" etc.) like they hears hound or they can  just basically yawn or close their eyes accidentally. If player's bar get empty for so long, everyday the sanity limit should get lower (Like when Maxwell use puppets). Maybe player get slow walking effect while it's get really down. And of course Wicker will get her mechanic from it. But don't know what can it will looklike. Like I said it's all ideas. And what do you think? I think it's would not be annoying as thrist mechanic.

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I see it to make it more realistic but i dont want a mechanic that makes me waste time afk. Isnt fun

Sleeping one night in every seven day is not a big problem dude

2 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Sleeping one night in every seven day is not a big problem dude

So i if im doing base building i need to stop to sleep; if i will fight toad or fw i will need to stop to sleep; Long journey? Sleep; sailing? Sleep before

I dont want a mechanic that interrupts my gameplay without bringing a so interesting mechanics

Dude

57 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

So i if im doing base building i need to stop to sleep; if i will fight toad or fw i will need to stop to sleep; Long journey? Sleep; sailing? Sleep before

I dont want a mechanic that interrupts my gameplay without bringing a so interesting mechanics

Dude

You stop when you get hungry, insane or low health. It's not that annoying and sleeping can be even funny sometimes. You will give the control of boat to your friend and sleep. Just like real-life cardriving. Also you will take sleep well for hunting or discovering. It's adding so much role-playing and give a reason to use tents. Also mechanics can be added. For example player can get a effect when wake up. For example "Well Rested" effect can give one minute speed boost when sleep in Dent. Sleeping in a furry roll can give a effect called "Comfy Nap" effect that give one minute sanity boost. Also sleeping in a grassroll can give negative effect called "Annoying straws" which cause sanity lost and make players more burnable for 30 seconds. There is can be more alternative for beds like shadow bed to being insane, flower bed to gaining sanity cost of being target to bees, honey bed to gaining health cost of sanity and speed. 

5 minutes ago, Slagger said:

You stop when you get hungry, insane or low health. It's not that annoying and sleeping can be even funny sometimes. You will give the control of boat to your friend and sleep. Just like real-life cardriving. Also you will take sleep well for hunting or discovering. It's adding so much role-playing and give a reason to use tents. Also mechanics can be added. For example player can get a effect when wake up. For example "Well Rested" effect can give one minute speed boost when sleep in Dent. Sleeping in a furry roll can give a effect called "Comfy Nap" effect that give one minute sanity boost. Also sleeping in a grassroll can give negative effect called "Annoying straws" which cause sanity lost and make players more burnable for 30 seconds. There is can be more alternative for beds like shadow bed to being insane, flower bed to gaining sanity cost of being target to bees, honey bed to gaining health cost of sanity and speed. 

i have food prepare and if i need to prepare more i can do other stuff meanwhile is ready, sleeping its just being afk using alt+tab

im not saying that is a bad thing but it doesnt bring something extra fun. I even think that klei didnt implement it in the alpha because its boring

if it was fun then people will craft tents when, in reallity, only new players use tent often because isnt a fun mechanic

23 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i have food prepare and if i need to prepare more i can do other stuff meanwhile is ready, sleeping its just being afk using alt+tab

im not saying that is a bad thing but it doesnt bring something extra fun. I even think that klei didnt implement it in the alpha because its boring

if it was fun then people will craft tents when, in reallity, only new players use tent often because isnt a fun mech.

ou can prepare for sleeping too! The point of seven days is that. You can live without negative effect for 7 days. And 30-60 seconds is not a big lost. It's not even a "night". Specially you will not have any better thing to do in winter or being in a boat with friend. You can sleep all night, it's still your choose but one minute is balanced deal to get boost and protection from negative effects. Also character can have a think balon with unusal dream animations on it. Just 2D black and white sketchs. Like those.

They are easy to draw and make tents funny

There is so much possibility, I just have few

Wait, you guys sleep irl ? o_o

I think sleeping would just be annoying if we were forced to have some rest. At the current state, it's quite enjoyable to restore health and sanity that "easy", so sleeping can be an important routine in your gameplay already if you feel like using less healing food items. That said, maybe a character with massive buffs after sleeping and an interesting gameplay around the day > night cycle might be cool, but you just need to enter "sleep" with the character tag on the workshop and you'll have some results already

So your solution to a mechanic being useless is to force people into using that mechanic? Also, I don't see why sleeping is that bad in the first place. Maybe because I play a lot of wormwood, but you can basically convert meatballs into health and sanity for the cost of some grass and 2 bunnypuffs (unless you use tents). Yeah, you could just eat mushrooms, but by the time you get the mushrooms (unless you have a mushroom farm) you could also have slept.

I'd say this is a bad idea. I do think sleeping needs an overhaul of sorts as it is extremely niche and not useful enough, but you could say that about 80-90% of things in DST. Also, adding a penalty just to force people to use a mechanic is usually bad-game design (depends on context). But, I like to think of ways to add inconvenient things so, this is what I would consider from your base idea:

• Awareness (sleep) meter that fully depletes in 7 in-game days: After depleting 70% of awareness (roughly 5 days) character loses sanity periodically which increases as more awareness depletes, and when fully depleted the character enters a groggy state, yawns, and shortly goes to sleep for a few seconds, restoring up to 30% of awareness. I really don't think 30-60 seconds of force sleep is a good idea at all, just 3-5 seconds is a lot of time already.
  • Nightmare creatures no longer attack you while you are sleeping. To eliminate the risk of falling asleep and being obliterated by them.
  • Sleeping (in any way) restores awareness quickly, however, sleeping bags and tents are more efficient. Also, tents and sleeping bags are more efficient at restoring health and sanity than they currently are. Reduce the time sleeping as much as possible, this is the main thing I believe sleeping needs.
  • All foods restore a bit of awareness. Healing salve could also restore some awareness as well. Not enough to depend on it, but enough to extend the time before the awareness depletes and reducing the need to sleep; specially if you are in the middle of the fight.
  • Yawns reduce awareness of all players that are around the source. It no longer forces you to sleep, but whatever yawns shortly goes to sleep.
  • As for character specific mechanics:
    • Wormwood does not lose awareness during the day or near a star caller's staff star. He will still lose awareness during the dusk, night, caves, or if it is raining.
    • Wickerbottom can sleep now, but she can only sleep for a few seconds and suddenly wakes up. Sleeping is also much less effective on her at restoring health, sanity, and even awareness, while still reducing hunger at the same rate. However, reading her books increases her awareness a bit.
      • She now also has a diary (book), that she can "write on" once a day, after half a day has passed, to restore some awareness at the cost of a feather pencil. And she can read the diary to restore some awareness and sanity, but the more you read it in a day, the less effective it becomes (similar to Warly and his food memory mechanic). Without this diary it would be near impossible for her not to deplete her awareness at some point.

I really think is very complex (not counting Wickerbottom in the equation).

2 hours ago, Pedrito said:

it will be cool if when every player is sleeping you can skip the nigth, just like in DS

Like in minecraft? IMHO is quite annoying even in MC... and as well like in Minecraft here in DST are night activities, which some players prefer not to skip. And if in game are more players than 1-2 then gets harder and harder to put everyone to sleep in same time. If you got griefers in game they could even sabotage that mechanic. 

Archived