QoL Naval: Any comments and suggestions about naval mobility and how to improve it in DST

What do think about boats in DST?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the current DST boats?

3 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Why only 2 options?

which other option do you think should suit the third spot? In my opinion, "I don't care" doesn't really say anything about how you feel about them anyways... I'm trying to leave it as open as possible for an exchange and maybe in another poll try and expand expand with some concrete points

2 minutes ago, KeshS said:

I like the direction they are going but want more polishing. Yes, but further improvements needed.

I personally would like at least one individual boat for fast travel... and also other more "together" boats like naval structures... rn they feel a lot like slow rafts and a bit artificial mechanically...

1 minute ago, KeshS said:

The more speed, the more bugs unfortunately...

Many bugs can be disabled by disabling Lag Compensation, or just fixing the bugs causing them. I can confirm that most of the bugs are literally just a single missing line in Klei's code.

what i just thought of is something that would disincentive covering the sea in these wood land masses.

namely waves. or maybe something like strident trident geysers that can hurt the boats.

something to show they remember this game was based on semi-stable survival at best, and you need to learn how to handle curveballs and screw ups.

as for actual boatology, i'd say we need smaller, slimmer boats as so each night on the open waters doesn't require precise sail, anchor, and oar maneuvers just to not ram into sea stack after sea stack. 

Well I like these boats and all the upgrades for the moment but they're lacking of complexity, options and navigation features.

If RoT updates are looking to increase boat content, they should look into modifiable boat size, different shapes could be insanely cool if not too much asked for or complicated. Maybe alternative boat materials to make them slower but with an initial armor and fireproof (only the boat, not what's inside) and of course... boat motors, mast are great starting navigation elements but I would like something not as fast than the Winged Sail but at least more efficient to navigate and safer... and maybe rotate the boat in addition.

Lot of players also mentioned that cannons would be neat, but I think it could mostly depend what Klei's plan to make us fight in water, Crab King is not enough to necessary have cannons atm, but maybe breakable boat armors made of Cookie Cutter Shells could be more appropriate since boats are very exposed to Sea Stacks or Crab King Claws... and of course boat attached farming tools, like fishing nets that is also a big request here even if the devs already planned a player equippable net item.

7 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

as for actual boatology, i'd say we need smaller, slimmer boats as so each night on the open waters doesn't require precise sail, anchor, and oar maneuvers just to not ram into sea stack after sea stack. 

Do you mean like the boats in Shipwrecked? I've been thinking for a while now that if Walani were to ever be added (and I sure hope that she, and the rest of the single player dlc cast does) her surfboard being the sole thing in DST to operate like the the boats in shipwrecked could make for an excellent perk for exactly this reason.

That being said, I think that just about everyone would appreciate an overall speed increase.

Voted a solid "No". I can't like those boats, absolutely everything about them is a massive chore. Gathering resources to make one, going from point A to point B, exploration, anchor/sail management, spending even more resources to maintain a boat (boat patches), their frail durability, boat combat, fishing - none of this is enjoyable. Troubled Waters made it even worse with the sharks and Wavey Jones, making an already miserable experience even less appealing than it already was.

SW boats were much better, it's a shame they will never be added.

I skipped a heartbeat when I saw QoL in the title and "Hot" for the comments. Needless to say I'm disappointed that it wasn't actually the update.

Back on OP's topic, I like the boats but I certainly think they could be expanded upon in future updates.

Like what other people said, I wish boats have more variety. Big boats, small boats, fast boats, armor boats, and whatever else is better than just one boat option. 

And canons would be great too. I really don't want combat on the sea to end up as regular combat but with 2 hp bars in stead of one and I wish Klei try to experiment with different ways a player can approach combat in stead of just expecting everyone to just melee a boss.

Also, a world gen setting to split up your world into pieces and/or adding ocean biomes would also be nice. Just giving players more initiative to explore the ocean and to interact with the ocean would be nice.  

Archived