If you were given a "Pigguard Berry Field" setpiece, what would you do?

If you were given a "Pigguard Berry Field" setpiece, what would you do?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How would you use it?

• Uproot the Berry Bushes and wall off the Guardian Pig(s) for an infinite light source
    • Destroy the Guardian Pig torch and farm the berries
    • Other (explain in comments)

I've been thinking about this setpiece lately because I came across some of them in a few campaigns I've been playing. At first I thought to use it for an infinite light source because that was one of the most popular uses for these types of setpieces; but then I thought that maybe these would make for a good permanent source of berries and drumsticks. Since it was all clumped together and naturally grown it would be both free of disease and have no need for fertilization. I honestly can't decide what to do with them now, any suggestions on how to go about this?

I made this poll because I was interested in hearing about how you guys like to use this setpiece, and to know what both the pro's and con's of each method would be. Thank you for your time.

Depends on server you're playing (Personal vs Dedicated pub, Private vs Public, Survival vs Endless), its settings (Diseases: On/Off), and what you need or fancy more in food/resources department. In a Dedicated Public server I for one would make 2 temporary baits, go there on first Full Moon night to farm Meat and Pig Skin, then dig Berry Bushes if I needed them (bonus if Diseases are Off) - because on pubs most likely those bushes will burn/be burned and the Pig Torches smashed by griefers and/or spawned giants close by. If that pub would be Survival, YOLO - it won't survive for long, so what you do needs to have short-term objectives in mind. In case of a Personal Server with Diseases:Off, perhaps I would try to base there - thus walling-in Torches with a more strategic placement of bait after killing Guardian Pigs (Full Moon with temporary bait) and relocating Berry Bushes would be chosen route.

Berries are mostly used as filler, and as filler they already have disease-free and fertilizer-free (and even winter-proof) alternatives - bull kelps and stone fruits (grown from sprouts). That's why I'd dig the bushes and wall off the pig torch.

I never use berry bushes to be honest, even as filler, just cause I find a bit annoying gathering them one by one. Usually I set up food production in a way that I don't need them: Bunny farm, mushroom planters, bee boxes...

So I'd go with the light source, even though I've never done that because in the worlds I've had that setpiece I ended up basing far from it and wouldn't want to relocate. 

If you build bunnyman hutches around them you can semi automatically farm the pig/bunnymen loot, then harvest berries when it's safe, I think. I've never actually tried it but it seems like it should work. It also preserves the set piece in case you change your mind and you want to do something different.

13 hours ago, Lbphero said:

uprooting the berry bushes is the worst option....if you hammer the pig torches and leave the berries planted as they are, they are a perfectly organized and nice looking field of berries that you will never need to fertilize.

Hammering the Pig Torches is the worst option, they are non-renewable and provide you an infinite amount of Pigs which can be used especially for Pig Skin or for Meat.

7 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Hammering the Pig Torches is the worst option, they are non-renewable and provide you an infinite amount of Pigs which can be used especially for Pig Skin or for Meat.

there are much better ways to get infinite light/infinite amount of pigs, while to my knowledge there is not really a way to obtain such a perfectly organized row of berry bushes that don't need to be fertilized.

4 hours ago, Lbphero said:

there are much better ways to get infinite light/infinite amount of pigs, while to my knowledge there is not really a way to obtain such a perfectly organized row of berry bushes that don't need to be fertilized.

infinity light>>>>>few berries

if you dont want to loose your berry bushes just shovel them every winter, anyways they will not produce anything

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

infinity light>>>>>few berries

if you dont want to loose your berry bushes just shovel them every winter, anyways they will not produce anything

infinite light that, if you stray too close to, will hurt you (even if they've been contained with walls) 

and the concern with the berry bushes isnt disease, it's the fact that you have to fertilize them after every few harvests. 

Compare the infinite light of a moon caller's stafff inside the moon pedestal thing to the infinite light of a pig torch. The moon pedestal light is much easier to work with even if you'd need to go to the ruins to get a star caller's staff first.

6 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I put spider dens close enough that the pigs will aggro them, but far enough where I won't step on webbing

But won't their loot constantly get eaten by the spiders that way? Also since the pigs are almost always dead, the torches won't work most of the time. It's just better removing the torches altogether if the bushes are the only thing you'd be interested in.

I'd choose to keep the torches and the pigs, over the bushes. Infinite light and pig skins is better than some few berries that, eventually you will no longer use.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Cheggf said:

If you wall the pigs off you can gather the majority of the bushes without danger, uprooting only a few of them.

This is probably the best of both worlds. Just uprooting enough to make space for the walls. And making the whole area a part of your base, so you can also use the light. During full moons you can either kill the pigs, or just keep them lured to something so they don't break their walls.

Archived