needing advice from (only)wormwood players

so this new skin is so amazing i bought the chest and i intend to play him in the next few days. could i please get some advice from people who have ACTUALLY played wormwood about how to have the most fun(basically no meta talk desired) playing solo. right now my playstyle is basically set up a base with a farm and a crockpot and take turns cooking things and doing some nomadic scavenging, is this a good plan or should i do something else? please tell me what you do when you play wormwood and how you think he can best be used in a game where survival isn't a super big challenge

Constantly be on the hunt for spider glands , reeds and get some bee boxes set up by day 10 to accrue some honey before winter. You'll need these to heal as he can't heal from food. Others will add more but for your health , prioritize glands and reed harvesting and honey

Playing Wormwood in a nutshell-

Build a Tent, Invest in Healing Tab, Wear Body Armor, Take advantage of your Green Thumb Crafting Tab.

Keep in Mind that you can plant crops anywhere you want by throwing a seed in the dirt anywhere.. This is an Insanely OP thing and you should never be without food.

As long as you remember that eating food items won’t heal you, you should be fine. 

Wormwood will gain movement speed buff when he blooms, but will attract bees (rather they are peaceful or not) into attacking him during this time.

My Advices, Rely heavily upon Bramble Husk, and Wormwoods version of Tooth Trap to fend off Hound Waves.

Also if other players are in server WITH you any trees they burn or chop near you will harm your Sanity.

Most of my solo Wormwood experience is in Hamlet; I've played him a fair bit in DST but only with a group, where I didn't have to do everything myself and could benefit from other characters' exclusives like Wortoxes with souls. Basing near the swamp might be a good idea, since it's a rich source of reeds and spider glands, and I second the recommendation that you prioritise bees.

My favorite thing to do is mass produce mushroom planters, first get hundreds of bulbs in caves, turn half to manure with a werepig and let half rot, fight spiders to make tents, spam living logs. They should be placed in caves to allow them to function in winter and summer.

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

i am quite surprised to hear you play as wormwood

1 minute ago, Sweaper said:

snip

irrelevant. please don't give me advice on general play, i am only looking for stuff pertaining directly to playing as wormwood

5 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i am quite surprised to hear you play as wormwood

irrelevant. please don't give me advice on general play, i am only looking for stuff pertaining directly to playing as wormwood

You asked for an advice and I just gave you one advice, how was that irrelevant? Specially since having an auto spider gland farm for Wormwood is highly beneficial.

One of the first things I do as Wormwood is chopping trees, digging graves, and fighting spiders.

The logs might be used for a Log Suit if you can't handle your health penalty, but otherwise it might be better to keep them for the science structures.

The main healing methods are very early on Spider Glands and later on Tent or Siesta, which requires you to kill alot of spiders. Don't forget to craft as many Living Logs as possible before using the tent, that will increase the effectivity of the tent. For Boss Fights I'm relying on Healing Salve or a Bat Bat, insanity can be cured with enough seeds or pine cones.

In terms of food you can rely on the Monster Meat gathered from the spiders, on Red Caps or on Cacti: With a Bramble Husk you can gather Cacti without taking damage, and you won't take any damage at all from eating any of these food items.

About chopping trees and digging graves: The amount of insanity you get by doing these things will allow you to farm Nightmare Fuel literally as soon as you join. The graves will supply you in most cases with a Red and a Blue Gem, which can be combined into a Purple Gem, and due to your Green Tumb, you can craft Living Logs whenever you want to (if you have enough health), allowing you to gather all the ressources required for a Shadow Manipulator on day 2 or 3.

With a Shadow Manipulator you can prototype yourself the Dark Sword and keep using it as your main weapon. If you're lacking Nightmare Fuel: Chop trees.

If the insanity is too much for you, you could quickly plant some seeds or pine cones and restore your sanity to a non-lethal value.

About seeds: Pumpkin (highest hunger value) and Corn (Pretty Common & nice hunger value) are the best crops for you. You can also rely on carrots from Bunnyman, but: Always turn them into seeds before consuming them! Carrots grant more stats if you turn them into seeds, they spoil way slower in that form, and can always be used as an imergency sanity source, or turned into Cut Grass if planted in a dark spot in the caves.

A Crock Pot won't improve the stats of your crops (except Dragon Fruit), and the only food you might want to cook there is Meaty Stew, because Health and Sanity is useless for Wormwood.

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

what would you suggest for someone who avoids fighting at all costs? this seems a bit too violent

What do I say... fighting Spiders is something you need to do to be able to manage your health, since poop is ineffective on Wormwood, unlike Spider Glands or Silk. You might be able to skip the shadows by planting pine cones and seeds, but that also means that you won't have access to the Dark Sword.

So I might recommend you to make a Bunnyman farm and to use them to gather Glands and Silk.

Why you would be surprised that I play as Wormwood? I Main Wendy.. because Spooky little girl who can interact with the dead is just something that fits me.

But I Play as ALL Characters from time to time so that when/if I ever feel like asking for potential reworks with them that I have a general feel for how that character was intended to be played.

Wormwood is actually very easy for me to play as because his can’t heal from eating food items perk is something I wish EVERY Character could have... (as something you can choose to toggle on or off prior to joining world.)

Just because I want certain parts of the game to be easier.. does not in any way mean that EVER wanted the ENTIRE game to be easy.

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

you've never mentioned it(at least where i have been around to see) and seem to be quite keen on just the girls with a focus on wendy in particular  x''D i just assumed from what i've seen you were on team #cutegirls

for sure though i already use mosquito sacks, spider glands and butterflies for healing since they are free all over the place if you keep an eye out(it seems wings are forever falling out of tumbleweeds and mosquito will pick a fight with anything) so i will be sure to continue on that track ^^

I did an early ruins raid once and found that a ridiculously easy and cheap way to get sane is to plant a sapling and shovel it over and over. Flint rains over you in the caves often so as long as you have sticks you have basically unlimited sanity, taking away one problem from the ruins off you.

For healing I found that the most cost effective method was to sleep. Poultice and salves are mostly for emergencies, during fights, bosses and stuff like that. But since you will usually have too much food on you, whenever you feel your damage starts to accumulate, then its probably a good time to just sleep.
A good way to make the most of your sleep sessions is to chop off your arm as many times as you have health left, then go to bed. This will allow you to always have a healthy amount of living logs.

As others mentioned above already your most valuable resources are spiders (tents, salves) and beeboxes (bramble traps, honey poultice).

Wormwood has no specific way to farm spiders so any generic method works. I saw a chinese player once that made spiders aggro over a statues wall, and the explosion of his traps on the other side would damage 4-5 spiders each time. But that was waaaay too time consuming and boring compared to just planting 5 bunnyhutches, leave a nest inbetween, keep the area loaded and just go collect the loot every 3-4 days.

It’s okay- People just assume that because I want bosses to be easier to fight, that I want the whole game to be a lot easier and that couldn’t be furthest from the truth.

I don’t play this game to actively engage in Boss battles, I play it to explore randomly generated hostile environments full of challenges and obstacles & I want to see a whole lot more of that..

Honestly what NOT having balance adjustability on Bosses does for me Is makes content I might would otherwise play and enjoy to frustrating & not worth my time or effort to even TRY to Enjoy.. so in the end it winds up becoming content I ignore even exists.

(I mean you can already turn OFF some of the bosses prior to hosting a world) who the heck cares how much easier or harder I want them to be to fight?

But this isn’t really the thread to go into great details of how the game could and should be harder outside of boss content.. I just wanted to state that-

Just because I play as Wendy who is generally perceived as an “Easy Mode” Character doesn’t mean that I don’t enjoy the challenge of playing as Wormwood.

I've played wormwood for quite some time and I will point out a couple pieces of advice that I use on a regular basis for playing him:

1. Always keep a Bramble Husk on you if you can help it. A Husk goes a long way when it comes to harvesting spiky bushes and cact (wearing it keeps you from taking damage when harvesting either); not to mention both grow year-round with the spiky bushes even not being susceptible to disease.
  2. Tents are one of the best ways to restore health for out of combat, and the Siesta-Lean to is even better for health and hunger management (albeit at the cost of day-time, but still)

It might be probably too obvious, but always keep in mind that wormwood can eat anything, he can eat raw monster meat or red caps without damaging his health, therefore wormwood is a good character to explore caves, or even set a base in there, since there are a lot red caps and lichen.

Wormwood's sanity is probably easiest to manage as you can quickly go sane and insane at will, and others have already mentioned ways to restore sanity.

As for healing, I see nobody mentioned fur roll, I think it's good if you go nomadic/cave exploring.

26 minutes ago, SoupRiced said:

It might be probably too obvious, but always keep in mind that wormwood can eat anything, he can eat raw monster meat or red caps without damaging his health, therefore wormwood is a good character to explore caves, or even set a base in there, since there are a lot red caps and lichen.

Wormwood's sanity is probably easiest to manage as you can quickly go sane and insane at will, and others have already mentioned ways to restore sanity.

As for healing, I see nobody mentioned fur roll, I think it's good if you go nomadic/cave exploring.

oh golly, i just read about how he is good for redcaps and monster meat(and monster tartare) about a half minute ago, hahahaha. thankyou all the same though ^^ i am glad for the info<3

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wormwood has no specific way to farm spiders so any generic method works. I saw a chinese player once that made spiders aggro over a statues wall, and the explosion of his traps on the other side would damage 4-5 spiders each time. But that was waaaay too time consuming and boring compared to just planting 5 bunnyhutches, leave a nest inbetween, keep the area loaded and just go collect the loot every 3-4 days.

A little trick I use as Wormwood (which shouldn't be used much, if at all) is using football helms/bramble husks and then walking into a large group of spiders and tanking damage. Considering alternatives, this trick of mine is more costly than others but if you're using a fur roll for healing outside of combat it can save gained glands and be rewarding. Bone shards are only cheap if you're actively farming them via letting fish rot or creating skeletons.

I think I play Wormwood too aggressively/dangerously. Otherwise, it could be a viable method when circumstances are involved (Surplus of bones/pigskin or prepping for a limited-time boss fight)

If you're up for it taming Beefalo is marginally easier on Wormwood and if you are not playing with anybody else gives you a reason to farm for healing foods since Beefalo can use it more effectively and can be used for fighting.

Also, you get poop all over the place when you've got a Beefalo.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood will gain movement speed buff when he blooms, but will attract bees (rather they are peaceful or not) into attacking him during this time.

Just adding something: When blooming, he will starve faster, and when in full bloom, he will starve twice as fast. But, as Mike said already, you shouldn't have food problems with Wormy.

Archived