(Beta content ) Wavey Jones Poll

What do you think about Wavey Jones ?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. is Wavey Jones too annoying to deal with ?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. How to make Wavey Jones less annoying ?

• slower to complete destructive action
    • give a way to despawn wavey jone completely
    • lower sanity point to spawn it
    • I answer no in the 1st question

Right now, It feels like Wavy Jones is too annoying to deal with

A Wavey Jones appearing for players with  sanity just below 75%..It will try to raise anchors and masts, remove patches/trusty tapes and extinguish fires, unplug boat patches create a small leak, 50 hull damage and drops 1 Boat Patch/trusty tape. Once Wavey Jones reachs the boat he will constantly sabotaging players. ( imagine have to repair boat, pull mast and lower anchor at once )

Players can stay close to the hands to force them to retract briefly , but will reappear 10 seconds later. It only disappears completely when daylight appears. Therefor, it forces player to  guarding one place or fixing the boat at night, and it could take 1/3 time of the day in winter.

8806868.280000053_20200705155611_1.jpg

so what do you think about wavey jones, is this annoying or not, give it in the comment.

I’m playing on Xbox and we don’t have the update yet, but from the way you guys describe Wavey Jones (which I’m uncertain why you call it a him... it just looks like Charlie toying with you to Me) but Anyway.

It sounds like Wavey is a new at sea version of the shadow hands that spawn and attempt to steal the flame from your fire. If this is the case- Then Wavey is working as intended.. you need to stand in the way of his/her hands to retract them away.. 

The Shadow hands that steal flames on land.. could be chased back to their source and extinguished permanently for the night.

I find it a bit ironic that people would cry that losing sanity is never a bad thing.. and then Klei see’s that, they address it by introducing Wavey Jones.. and now people are thinking Wavey is too much.

Klei just can’t win man.. 
As always I will reserve my final judgements for when I actually get to play the content myself... but for now- My opinion from screenshots and people’s descriptions is-

“Awesome! I can’t wait to play this myself!”

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei just can’t win man.. 

As always I will reserve my final judgements for when I actually get to play the content myself... but for now- My opinion from screenshots and people’s descriptions is-

“Awesome! I can’t wait to play this myself!”

I was actually playing with a friend to test boat life ( this is just a picture to demonstrate), and when we both need to repair the boat, lower mast and anchor, constantly and more than 10 times, in just one night, because one of us have 149/200 sanity. It just does not seem right in the 1st place.

I don't like him just because he discourages cooperation with strangers. With everything else sanity related the worst that'll happen is they die and I revive them, but with this if I let someone other than myself on my boat and they don't have absolutely perfect sanity then their mistake could potentially cause me to lose my boat I've spent 10 hours on and all they lose for their own mistake is a few items from their inventory. At 75% sanity I can't even babysit their own stats on their behalf, since the headache animation only starts at 50% sanity.

Perhaps he wouldn't be an issue for people who only play on private servers with their friends, but on public servers most people don't know how to manage sanity and have issues with it even if you tell them easy ways to do so. I don't mind reviving them over and over again as they learn the game, but losing my boat that I spend hours on is too much.

34 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't like him just because he discourages cooperation with strangers. With everything else sanity related the worst that'll happen is they die and I revive them, but with this if I let someone other than myself on my boat and they don't have absolutely perfect sanity then their mistake could potentially cause me to lose my boat I've spent 10 hours on and all they lose for their own mistake is a few items from their inventory. At 75% sanity I can't even babysit their own stats on their behalf, since the headache animation only starts at 50% sanity.

Perhaps he wouldn't be an issue for people who only play on private servers with their friends, but on public servers most people don't know how to manage sanity and have issues with it even if you tell them easy ways to do so. I don't mind reviving them over and over again as they learn the game, but losing my boat that I spend hours on is too much.

That is like saying that shadow creatures discourages playing with strangers because you need to revive all the time them. If you dont like to play with noobs dont play with them

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

That is like saying that shadow creatures discourages playing with strangers because you need to revive all the time them. If you dont like to play with noobs dont play with them

I just said I don't care about reviving people because reviving people doesn't undo 10 hours of progress. And if I don't like playing with noobs why would I even make that comment? I would be in the "only plays on private servers" category that I said Wavey Jones would be fine on.

Just now, Cheggf said:

I just said I don't care about reviving people because reviving people doesn't undo 10 hours of progress.

No? Losing 40hp to revive a guy isnt the best thing in some scenarios

Ye is more punishing in a boat but still being the same thing

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

No? Losing 40hp to revive a guy isnt the best thing in some scenarios

Ye is more punishing in a boat but still being the same thing

How is needing to kill a single bunnyman "the same thing" as needing to spend several hours re-doing all the progress on a boat?

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Bunnyman?

Killing a single bunnyman has a 75% chance to give you a meat and a 100% chance to give you 2 carrots. The only other ingredient to make a pierogi, which restores the 40 health you lose from crafting a TTH, is either a simple monster meat or a second meat from another bunnyman.

Healing and reviving is so easy in this game that my last boat had a chest full of Telltale Hearts, and I gave the mainlanders their own chest full of telltale hearts. I didn't even go out of my way to do so, I just injured myself whenever I was at full health and made them with the healing the foods I was eating for hunger gave me anyways.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Killing a single bunnyman has a 75% chance to give you a meat and a 100% chance to give you 2 carrots. The only other ingredient to make a pierogi, which restores the 40 health you lose from crafting a TTH, is either a simple monster meat or a second meat from another bunnyman.

Healing and reviving is so easy in this game that my last boat had a chest full of Telltale Hearts, and I gave the mainlanders their own chest full of telltale hearts. I didn't even go out of my way to do so, I just injured myself whenever I was at full health and made them with the healing the foods I was eating for hunger gave me anyways.

Oh i didnt get that xD

Im not saying that is the same but both are punishing. Ofc sink has more penalty than just reviving a noob but all mechanics shouldnt be balanced because new players exist. 

Straw rolls, tends, cactis, etc exists. Maybe making her appear with less sanity instead of half could help but the mechanic is so cool that will be sad to make huge changes because of that

"Lower sanity point to spawn it" would be the way to go at it imo. Atm seems too destructive/disruptive. I get KLei might wanna consider the tiny "try-hard" minority going "we need sanity to be way more punishing"-REEE with each occasion but with this one change sailing became a Walter-level hazard: at first seems to be okish till you get a bit down in sanity (a needed thing for Moon Island not-rushed exploration), and then "WHAM!" one gets the proverbial bat to the back of head. Process needs more middle ground, not extremes - from safe to disaster in in one fell swoop.

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Oh i didnt get that xD

Im not saying that is the same but both are punishing. Ofc sink has more penalty than just reviving a noob but all mechanics shouldnt be balanced because new players exist. 

I'm not saying it needs to be balanced around new players existing, I'm saying I don't like that other people's mistakes can punish me with losing the entirety of my 10+ hours of progress. As it is right now I'm fine with picking up noobs and having them eat all my food and steal from my chests and provide no help to me, since they have fun just seeing the ocean on my boat. The damage they do is negligible and can be easily repaired. But if their presence on the boat could cause me to lose so many hours of progress that I just disconnect from the server I won't be picking them up anymore.

20 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Maybe making her appear with less sanity instead of half could help but the mechanic is so cool that will be sad to make huge changes because of that

I agree with you that he shouldn't go away just because of that, I think he's hilarious. But he appears at 75% sanity and frankly is way more dangerous than the Terrorbeaks that appear at 15% sanity. He also appears if anyone is at 75% sanity instead of you. He doesn't need huge changes, he can still do everything he does right now. I wouldn't have issues with him if he received changes along the lines of

• Appears at something like 30% or 40% sanity instead of at 75%.
  • Laughs at you after taking a boat patch out, briefly preventing him from taking another one out.
  • Is dismissable by walking on the head, which will not spawn in such a way that it's impossible to get to. Or despawns after a short amount of time, like 15 or so seconds.

Something like that would still have him be very threatening to the boat and demand your immediate attention, but would not require you to do annoying unfun things like camp his head for 3 real life minutes.

I haven't played a lot with Wavey Jones, but the normal shadow hands, which are a lot easier to deal with, often fall in the "omg why do I have to bother with this" zone.  Its like place fire pit, then run around chasing hands b/c that's "fun."  Wavey Jones seems like a cool concept, and I'll have to play the beta on boats more (still haven't had much time to do anything in beta) but if he can raise your anchor, lower your sails, and strip boat patches, in addition to stealing your light source...  it sounds like way too much to bother with and I'd rather just stop sailing.

Considering most of my sailing has me on the map screen because I can't see far enough on the play screen to navigate well (especially at night) I would be really frustrated to suddenly have my boat I probably spent 14 in game days putting together be sunk.  This is kinda the same problem that Crab King has.  A boat is a pretty big investment.  If they're going to keep stressing the fragility of boats by having bosses and mobs thrash them and having less than 75% sanity puts them at risk every night, all night, then they better start being something I can make in a day, not a week...

Again - I haven't played it enough, so this is just a gut reaction to the concept and I may be totally wrong - but I think peeling up boat patches sounds super egregious.  I'm worried just how bad boating is going to get if every encounter on the seas just pokes holes in the boat until you run out of patch kits.  I dream of a world where boating is more prominent, where we get archipelago world-gen and can live on boats, and things like that really show the game going in a different direction, with boats being a fools errand and goosing to the lunar island to loot and return is the norm.

2 hours ago, jpmrocks said:

Just use the boat light then? Doesnt Wavey only effect fires?

Wavey interacts with all boat based equipment, snuffing fires, pulling masts, lowering/lifting anchors, steering, ect.
You can step on his hands to reset their progress but that's about it.

6 hours ago, jpmrocks said:

Just use the boat light then? Doesnt Wavey only effect fires?

He pulls boat patches out at a rather quick rate, dealing 50 damage each and putting a hole in the boat. I've also seen him toggle anchors and masts, but the boat patches thing is probably the most dangerous.

I didnt play the beta but can someone tell me how fast the hands move? 

Depending on how fast the hands move it may be an issue. 

Other than that if the hands are slow enough for the player to stop their progress,Than it dosent seem much of a problem. 

On 7/5/2020 at 11:07 PM, Shosuko said:

A boat is a pretty big investment.

This. 

It talks for itself. 

You need a lot of effort to put a boat together. So much effort that sailing is something i do AFTER beating dragonfly. 

It takes alot of work to put a boat together, and loosing it is painfull. 

I get that some people want the game to be harder but

stay above 75% sanity or play "step on wavey jones head every 10 seconds for 2-3 minutes" minigame

is not hard and not fun at all.

Its just plain annoying.

He might be able to be toned down but I think he shouldn't have any of his interactivity with boats removed.

A lot of people want Klei to approach ROT like Shipwrecked and just add a bunch of ocean content. But the two games are too different design wise. Shipwrecked, I'd say, is about exploration first and sailing second considering you are sailing the ocean to discover islands. DST ,however, should emphasize sailing first and exploration second, because the bulk of the map is one huge landmass that likely is already explored but also cannot interact with sailing other than as an obstacle to get to the other side of the map. This ultimately means that new content, in order to be interesting, has to interact with sailing mechanics In a meaningful way, which Wavey Jones does. Exploring the ocean will never be as interesting as it is in Shipwrecked so actually sailing to our island destinations needs to go beyond click here to not hit rock.

Archived