(Beta content ) Wavey Jones Poll

What do you think about Wavey Jones ?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. is Wavey Jones too annoying to deal with ?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. How to make Wavey Jones less annoying ?

• slower to complete destructive action
    • give a way to despawn wavey jone completely
    • lower sanity point to spawn it
    • I answer no in the 1st question

And that is without me mentioning the lunar island and how low sanity is good for that place.

Heck you can make an item on the ocean specifically to lower your sanity, but lowering your sanity even a tiny bit on the ocean is now a bad idea, so better wait to be on the lunar island lol. And even then better not be anywhere near your boat because wavey can still mess with it, even if youre not on it.

Like I said in another thread, only KLEI knows the end results of Return of Them... but since THEM is the biggest part of the franchise lore I am going to take an educated guess and say that it’s going to end up being a pretty big deal.

And since we don’t know the full depths of Return of Them.. how do any of you know if Wavey isn’t meant to keep under experienced players from experiencing content that they ARE NOT Prepared for?

Its like if you unplug a sinkhole out of curiosity as a Noob, and then you die immediately because you didn’t know how to build a lantern.

How do you KNOW Wavey isn’t intended to prevent noobs from just sailing out to Lunar Island? Could you imagine how many under experienced players would rage quit this game if they SPAWNED on Lunar Island as their starting location??

My point is- Wavey teaches noobs a very valuable lesson of keeping their Sanity high, In fact WALTER Teaches a noob the importance of Sanity.

And- How do you know that future return of them update content won’t demand players to know how to manage those things?

Return of Them is an Incomplete product... how do you know that Boats weren’t intended to be considered as Intermediate or End Game content investments?

16 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

hmm today i will disallow people from making multi-boat bases and make boat bases much harder because le epic playstyle change

Are boat bases actually a thing that people do? In all the time since Turn of Tides, I've seen tons of people talk about boat bases hypothetically and complain about every change that would make them hypothetically harder, but I've only actually seen one single boat base...

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Like I said in another thread, only KLEI knows the end results of Return of Them... but since THEM is the biggest part of the franchise lore I am going to take an educated guess and say that it’s going to end up being a pretty big deal.

And since we don’t know the full depths of Return of Them.. how do any of you know if Wavey isn’t meant to keep under experienced players from experiencing content that they ARE NOT Prepared for?

Its like if you unplug a sinkhole out of curiosity as a Noob, and then you die immediately because you didn’t know how to build a lantern.

How do you KNOW Wavey isn’t intended to prevent noobs from just sailing out to Lunar Island? Could you imagine how many under experienced players would rage quit this game if they SPAWNED on Lunar Island as their starting location??

My point is- Wavey teaches noobs a very valuable lesson of keeping their Sanity high, In fact WALTER Teaches a noob the importance of Sanity.

And- How do you know that future return of them update content won’t demand players to know how to manage those things?

Return of Them is an Incomplete product... how do you know that Boats weren’t intended to be considered as Intermediate or End Game content investments?

...wavey teaches them to keep sanity high...
not the shadow creatues on the mainland
not literally any other struggle you could have caused by sanity

newer players wont even want to go out on the ocean because theyre gonna struggle enough with everything else the game throws at them, why would wavey jones be needed to fill that purpose?

hate to say it but this entire arguement seems like a strawman.

Honestly I dont even know why I'm trying to argue at this point, it's clear you just don't even want to give me a chance in what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, Freshness said:

...wavey teaches them to keep sanity high...
not the shadow creatues on the mainland
not literally any other struggle you could have caused by sanity

newer players wont even want to go out on the ocean because theyre gonna struggle enough with everything else the game throws at them, why would wavey jones be needed to fill that purpose?

hate to say it but this entire arguement seems like a strawman.

I’m not arguing, lol I’m stating that... in Hamlet you need a Gas Mask to enter the gas Biome or you die, there’s no Work around for it.. your just Dead- Because your not supposed to BE THERE.

And if Return of Them is End Game content then a newer player doesn’t have the skills required to be on the sea.. 

Pretend that Klei adds some insanely hard new Biome out in the ocean somewhere full of really difficult stuff to fight, WAVEY is the Under Experienced players Gas Mask.

so i had a thought and it is worrying;

if davey is kept to current spec then the majority of players are going to avoid ocean content(either because it is too hard or because it isn't worth the rewards to put in the effort to avoid him). if a lot of people avoid doing it then there will not be any more work invested in it. boats will just become beefalo taming; something like .11% people do and that klei won't ever work on because it isn't something the community seems to actually want(at least based on metrics and actual user data)

i've worked for a few indie developers so i have seen intimate small-scale versions of this particular issue where the work it would take to shore up a flagging element of the game doesn't look like it is worth as much as working on something else entirely so it becomes partially abandoned. since i've read AND seen enough of large studios function doing the same thing i have little doubt that left the way it is people will stop boating and klei will end up not making any more content for the oceans

tl;dr? it isn't just about whether or not YOU think wavey is easy or hard. if enough people are turned off of sailing because of this then that will almost certainly kill more updates

10 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Are boat bases actually a thing that people do? In all the time since Turn of Tides, I've seen tons of people talk about boat bases hypothetically and complain about every change that would make them hypothetically harder, but I've only actually seen one single boat base...

A common thing I've seen is people placing a plethora of chests on boats near everything else, it'd suck to have that sink because it was off to the side and you couldnt see it 

8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

i've seen two people who do practical application pub boats and a few who do them in solo-player games and i was collecting materials for my first before a glitch ate my stuff but it is certainly a minority. i would be stretching if i said there  were more than 20 people on here that had dedicated boat bases

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not arguing, lol I’m stating that... in Hamlet you need a Gas Mask to enter the gas Biome or you die, there’s no Work around for it.. your just Dead- Because your not supposed to BE THERE.

And if Return of Them is End Game content then a newer player doesn’t have the skills required to be on the sea.. 

Pretend that Klei adds some insanely hard new Biome out in the ocean somewhere full of really difficult stuff to fight, WAVEY is the Under Experienced players Gas Mask.

you cant compare hte gasmask to wavey jones.

the gas mask is a piece of gear you make to go into a treacherous area, to yknow prevent the treacherous effect from effecting you

wavey jones is, if anything, the effect and not the gas mask. And even then with the poison jungle it is VERY clear it is bad for you. Meanwhile wavey and the ocean: "Oh your sanity is just slightly lower than max? well too bad nerd, you are about to be in a world of AUGH"

I think Wavey Jones is really cool in concept, messing with your boats and stuff, but I feel like for spawning while you're at 75% sanity or lower, he just gets too annoying. I think that by atleast making it so he spawns at a lower % of your sanity, or making it so he doesn't just hang about your boat all night is a fair change to him. 

I get the argument you are trying to make here, but the problem is Wavey is only active during nighttime. If he was supposed to be a roadblock to harder content (which he isn't, he's just another punishment for having lower sanity, like the other Shadow Creatures.) then he would be something you would constantly have to worry about and deal with, not just at nighttime.

1 minute ago, bubben16 said:

I think Wavey Jones is really cool in concept, messing with your boats and stuff, but I feel like for spawning while you're at 75% sanity or lower, he just gets too annoying. I think that by atleast making it so he spawns at a lower % of your sanity, or making it so he doesn't just hang about your boat all night is a fair change to him. 

I get the argument you are trying to make here, but the problem is Wavey is only active during nighttime. If he was supposed to be a roadblock to harder content (which he isn't, he's just another punishment for having lower sanity, like the other Shadow Creatures.) then he would be something you would constantly have to worry about and deal with, not just at nighttime.

You're speaking out of my soul here!

1 minute ago, bubben16 said:

I don’t think you would realistically be able to sail to ANY Harder Biome without experiencing Night Time so that really doesn’t hold any weight to it.

The new update even gave us a Boat Lantern Upgrade and Lightning Rod Mast, meaning Klei intends for ALOT of sailing to be done in the future.

However... IF What you say is true and Wavey only spawns at Night, Then Congratulations... you just gave everyone the answer to dealing with Him.

Simply be as insane as you want all day and by nightfall don’t be anywhere near your boat without a decent amount of Sanity.

I don’t think you would realistically be able to sail to ANY Harder Biome without experiencing Night Time so that really doesn’t hold any weight to it.

The new update even gave us a Boat Lantern Upgrade and Lightning Rod Mast, meaning Klei intends for ALOT of sailing to be done in the future.

However... IF What you say is true and Wavey only spawns at Night, Then Congratulations... you just gave everyone the answer to dealing with Him.

Simply be as insane as you want all day and by nightfall don’t be anywhere near your boat without a decent amount of Sanity.

This is a perfect example of why I do not like being on the forums.

No further comment needed tbh this entire conversation is just so painful i dont know why i should bother quite honestly.

15 minutes ago, Freshness said:

This is a perfect example of why I do not like being on the forums.

No further comment needed tbh this entire conversation is just so painful i dont know why i should bother quite honestly.

I don’t get it man, honestly I don’t. My point was that IF (and that’s a big IF) Building a Boat and sailing the Ocean is meant to be for experienced players.. then obviously they will have Wavey keeping under experienced players at Bay.

Wavey is only ONE of the at Sea threats, there’s also TerrorClaw, Rock Jaw Shark, mobs that people who still have trouble fighting Spider Warriors plain and simply should not be out there encountering.

—————————

I would also like to point out that I have been spending ALOT of Time playing DS Single Player- and there is a Massive jump between difficulties in the two games..

DST has (mostly) outside of bosses always been fairly easy compared to DS solo, Especially DS Solo Adventures Mode..

Where in order to progress around the map would require you to lower your sanity below 30% (when shadow creatures can start spawning) to lower the pillars blocking your path to another Biome, To do that requires you to INTENTIONALLY go Insane, and then if your playing the King of Winter Chapter-

Not only are you being chased by TerrorBeaks, but your also freezing to Death and need to find a way to raise your sanity again to get past yet another pillar that requires you to be sane again.

Even simple pig warrior Chokepoints required you to at least wear armor or die (if playing as someone who isn’t OP..) 

DST is finally getting some of these progression blockers preventing players from going where they shouldn’t be without being experienced enough to be there.. and people already want nerfs for it.

I fear what people will think when or if DST ever gets DS levels of progression blockades and difficulty.

Why do all of you who can't make proper counter points just resort to:

"FOrums toxic, forums bad, why am I even here... YOU are the problem!!!! You are not listening to me."

Like Jesus man....

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Us making different points is not neglecting or diminishing YOU in any way.

Just because we have differing opinions and views on this one thing in a video game, doesn't mean we're out to get you.

Calm down.

14 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

Why do all of you who can't make proper counter points just resort to:

"FOrums toxic, forums bad, why am I even here... YOU are the problem!!!! You are not listening to me."

Like Jesus man....

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Us making different points is not neglecting or diminishing YOU in any way.

Just because we have differing opinions and views on this one thing in a video game, doesn't mean we're out to get you.

Calm down.

Did you even read my points?
And I mean actually read them and not just dismiss them with "bruh its easy to deal with lol u noob"

Seriously you're one to fricking talk here.

Especially since... actually no I'll keep that a secret actually.

Archived