(Beta content ) Wavey Jones Poll

What do you think about Wavey Jones ?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. is Wavey Jones too annoying to deal with ?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. How to make Wavey Jones less annoying ?

• slower to complete destructive action
    • give a way to despawn wavey jone completely
    • lower sanity point to spawn it
    • I answer no in the 1st question

Okay so Wavey Jones defiantly isn’t as bad as you guys made it out to be, he only seems to attack from an edge of your boat... in a predictable pattern.

(not a problem if you don’t clutter your boat in crap so you can’t move around on its surface..)

And he looks like a small Flame, I thought he was going to be a HUGE Menacing towering thing that glares at you from out in the ocean and the only way to get him to disappear would be to Paddle or sail your boat to the area his Head is located in and park your boat on it for a few seconds.

So I can NOW safely say that people voting he’s “Too Much” couldn’t possibly dream of what I would consider “Too Much” 

The TL:DR read of that- Hands that continuously attack your ship from long distance away from their source & you need to sail your boat to the source the hands are emerging from to make it go away.

I've only encountered him once so far but it was rough. Two boat patches popped in seconds then immediately raises my anchor, drops a mast, and put out my light. I was careening into Seastacks in the dark before I knew it. I love the "tricks" he pulls but it could be slowed down a bit. 

Edit: so I've learned that just running over his head makes all stop for a few seconds. Knowing to stomp his head before anything else makes it a bit easier, BUT STILL! Chill Jones. 

I don’t like wavy jones. I was so happy that you could bridge a river with a boat and just leave it there anchored, making long walks in branched worlds just a little easier.

With wavy jones that’s over. Your boat will be destroyed if you go anywhere near it under 75 sanity, and the fact he can attack it while you’re not sailing is insane. I was off the boat and he still appears? 

That just sucks. That’s not hard, it’s just frustrating. 

It’s fine if I break my boat, it sucks to just find the rubble.

Also why is it that when I raise an anchor I have to wheel it up for several seconds but he can raise instantly. No reaction time.

There should at least be a bit of warning, and if you’re on land, he shouldn’t mess with your boat as you run by.

I enjoy hard, but I really think this is overkill. As it is we can never leave our boat at night without over 75 sanity. In winter that’s the majority of a day.

On 7/18/2020 at 5:01 AM, SaphironX said:

I don’t like wavy jones. I was so happy that you could bridge a river with a boat and just leave it there anchored, making long walks in branched worlds just a little easier.

With wavy jones that’s over. Your boat will be destroyed if you go anywhere near it under 75 sanity, and the fact he can attack it while you’re not sailing is insane. I was off the boat and he still appears? 

That just sucks. That’s not hard, it’s just frustrating. 

It’s fine if I break my boat, it sucks to just find the rubble.

Also why is it that when I raise an anchor I have to wheel it up for several seconds but he can raise instantly. No reaction time.

There should at least be a bit of warning, and if you’re on land, he shouldn’t mess with your boat as you run by.

I enjoy hard, but I really think this is overkill. As it is we can never leave our boat at night without over 75 sanity. In winter that’s the majority of a day.

Fresh boats have zero momentum until they're first pushed by something. you don't need to put anchors on dummy boats / bridges at all.

So I play on a dedicated server where there are a lot of other people, and more than twice now I have docked and came back to find my boat inexplicably in pieces, I am 100% sure this is because wavy jones messes w/ the equipment and the boat smashes itself against the coast. This makes having a boat anywhere near shore a complete hazard for the owner because you can't control who runs by with low sanity. Don't get me wrong, I like having wavy jones in the game, but right now he is so overpowered when compared to the night hands that chase campfires.

I now can not: Leave my boat alone during night, build anything close to the edges for fear I can't step on his head, do anything other than watch for wavy at night. Not to mention, if a rockjaw gets on your boat and distracts you from wavy for a second, that is basically a death sentence for the boat since it will likely go careening into a rock if you have more than one sail on your boat.

Some suggestions I would like to make are: Decrease the sanity cap for wavy to spawn, maybe 50% instead of 75%, have him appear but sit for 2-5 seconds before moving his hands, add a tugging animation to his hands for 1-2 seconds as in he is tugging at a patch or a sail instead of doing it instantly (I suggest this because if he spawns near the sails, it is almost guaranteed that he gets them down if you aren't watching), and finally and most importantly, only let him spawn when someone is on the boat, and make him turn into a crawling horror or something when you jump off. This stuff where he will spawn just by someone running by with low sanity is absurd.

I have had to rebuild my ship at least 5 times within 120 days, that is a lot of materials down the drain and has made it extremely frustrating trying to enjoy the new content on a shared server. Those are my two cents, take it or leave it, but Klei pls fix. Also if Klei does see this post, tysm for all the work you put into this wonderfully annoying game :)

i think people should put the boat-smashing when noone is around in the bug section. it seems like a really bad problem that oughtn't be happening(none of the other (mini)bosses break your things when you are not around so wavey oughtn't either and having it so that any rando can run by(not onto, just by) your ship and it gets smashed even if you are not there seems like a rather problematic thing

On 7/17/2020 at 8:27 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so Wavey Jones defiantly isn’t as bad as you guys made it out to be, he only seems to attack from an edge of your boat... in a predictable pattern.

(not a problem if you don’t clutter your boat in crap so you can’t move around on its surface..)

And he looks like a small Flame, I thought he was going to be a HUGE Menacing towering thing that glares at you from out in the ocean and the only way to get him to disappear would be to Paddle or sail your boat to the area his Head is located in and park your boat on it for a few seconds.

So I can NOW safely say that people voting he’s “Too Much” couldn’t possibly dream of what I would consider “Too Much” 

The TL:DR read of that- Hands that continuously attack your ship from long distance away from their source & you need to sail your boat to the source the hands are emerging from to make it go away.

So you wouldn't consider a creature that spawns when below 75% sanity that can wreck your boat within 10 seconds if you happen to be sneezing irl for example that also is relentless even if you are above the spawning threshhold, is universal accross all players and doesnt just affect the one with the low sanity, directly discourages going to the lunar island by boat and overall is way more than just "boat shadow hands" and a genuine threat that affects you even before you have any visible signs of going insane too much?

Geez, what IS too much then?

This post kinda shows how much this playerbase cannot handle anything challenging. Like at all. If you guys think wavey jones is an issue, then I fear for to hear what else you find challenging. Jesus... If you clutter up your boat with crap, of course it'll suck, but that's why Klei gave us the new mast upgrades, so you wouldn't need to take up so much space. 

Stop whining about it ruining pub experience, if you care about public servers, then it's an issue of you, not the game.

If you don't like newer players messing up your boats, don't play with them or just teach them.

And Jesus Christ, just freaking keep your sanity high, ALL you gotta do to keep him at bay. It's just that easy. This just proves how little this community knows how to deal with the most BASIC of issues, such as sanity. Green caps, Tam, Glommer for all I care???

Wavey Jones is in MY opinion a great addition to the game, it's a challenge, and it's unreasonable to get mad at challenges. They're supposed to be hard, that's why they're challenges.

Too much would be Klei cleverly placing Wavey in between a mess of salt stacks as a towering monster while his hands move in and attack your boat and the ONLY way to get them to stop coming for it would be to retract said hands all the way back to Wavey’s Body location.

In his Current form... Wavey only spawns on the edge of your boat and looks like a campfire flame, it actually kind of reminds me of the Pokémon Haunter or whatever it’s name was, the ghost type that has the head and two floating hands.. 

Since it only spawns ON YOUR BOAT you can quickly move around to the edge of the boat it’s attacking from to get it to disappear- Unlike the above example where it’s a menacing creature out in depths cleverly placed between obstacles you need to maneuver your boats ACTUAL POSITION to reach and stop.

16 minutes ago, Nikki Darks said:

This post kinda shows how much this playerbase cannot handle anything challenging. Like at all. If you guys think wavey jones is an issue, then I fear for to hear what else you find challenging. Jesus... If you clutter up your boat with crap, of course it'll suck, but that's why Klei gave us the new mast upgrades, so you wouldn't need to take up so much space. 

Stop whining about it ruining pub experience, if you care about public servers, then it's an issue of you, not the game.

If you don't like newer players messing up your boats, don't play with them or just teach them.

And Jesus Christ, just freaking keep your sanity high, ALL you gotta do to keep him at bay. It's just that easy. This just proves how little this community knows how to deal with the most BASIC of issues, such as sanity. Green caps, Tam, Glommer for all I care???

Wavey Jones is in MY opinion a great addition to the game, it's a challenge, and it's unreasonable to get mad at challenges. They're supposed to be hard, that's why they're challenges.

okay look i like challenges as much as the next guy, but wavey jones isnt challenging, hes overly punishing.
dont have your sanity above 75%? well **** you.
got your map open for 2 seconds? well there go your boat patches and by extension your boat.

and its not like you lose some small progress or anything if he does sink your boat, no you lose a lot of progress just building that **** up. on top of a max health penalty, dropping some potentially important items, potentially dying because youre gonna have lower hunger, 100% wetness from it.
Im not even saying wavey jones in his entirety is bad, what im saying is he shouldnt be THIS extreme. With this game theres always two extremes of either x thing is too easy or x thing is so overly punishing its not fun in the slightest.

and dont forget, unlike shadow hands he's gonna come back again and again until the night is over.
wavey jones is an annoyance that is just overly punishing should you fail to take care of said annoyance just once.
its not fun having to only pay attention to taking care of him all night and its not fun to have your boat sink within like 2 seconds because your sanity was slightly lower than max. 

again, im all for challenge n what not but not everything should just be accepted as "oh its a challenge lol" even if it isnt a challenge. 

not to mention visiting the lunar island on boat is now way too dangerous because you either run the risk of sinking your boat or you get put to sleep thanks to gestalts repeatedly, unless you carry tons of sanity food on you to turn your sanity around on a dime, which is something i expect from the atrium in the caves, not an island that is above ground.

Just now, Freshness said:

okay look i like challenges as much as the next guy, but wavey jones isnt challenging, hes overly punishing.
got your map open for 2 seconds? well there go your boat patches and by extension your boat.

and its not like you lose some small progress or anything if he does sink your boat, no you lose a lot of progress just building that **** up. on top of a max health penalty, dropping some potentially important items, potentially dying because youre gonna have lower hunger, 100% wetness from it.
Im not even saying wavey jones in his entirety is bad, what im saying is he shouldnt be THIS extreme. With this game theres always two extremes of either x thing is too easy or x thing is so overly punishing its not fun in the slightest.

I’m just going to take the wildest guess that you have NEVER Played Ark Survival Evolved right? It takes 14 Real Life Human Days to raise a Giga Dinosaur in that game, and it will require you to log in and imprint upon it every 8 real world human hours.. While the Giga is the most powerful Dino in the game.. it can still also die in like 10 seconds, either by your own fault or the crappy games glitches of having it fall through the map.

You have no idea what experiencing a lot of lost progress is like until you experience THAT.

Boats in DST are relatively easy Investments, Especially if you have set yourself up a nice little Supply farm (AKA an Area to farm the Silk, and Wood you need for Boats & Masts)

I can have a fully decked out boat completed in less then two days game time... GAME TIME (which is like 30 minutes to an hour), Not 14 Real World Human days to lose it all within 10seconds due to glitching through the map.

Also- If you just wear a Top Hat you negate sanity drain completely... I mean seriously, Wavey isn’t THAT Bad.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m just going to take the wildest guess that you have NEVER Played Ark Survival Evolved right? It takes 14 Real Life Human Days to raise a Giga Dinosaur in that game, and it will require you to log in and imprint upon it every 8 real world human hours.. While the Giga is the most powerful Dino in the game.. it can still also die in like 10 seconds, either by your own fault or the crappy games glitches of having it fall through the map.

You have no idea what experiencing a lot of lost progress is like until you experience THAT.

Boats in DST are relatively easy Investments, Especially if you have set yourself up a nice little Supply farm (AKA an Area to farm the Silk, and Wood you need for Boats & Masts)

I can have a fully decked out boat completed in less then two days game time... GAME TIME (which is like 30 minutes to an hour), Not 14 Real World Human days to lose it all within 10seconds due to glitching through the map.

Also- If you just wear a Top Hat you negate sanity drain completely... I mean seriously, Wavey isn’t THAT Bad.

several things about that

one, this is about dst not ark survival evolved, I couldnt care less about that game quite frankly

two, you undersell how much time setting up a boat can actually take

three, please tell me youre trolling when you say the sanity drain can be negated entirely with a tophat. Tophats first of all dont have enough of a sanity gain that you can just have no drain during night and second even if they did, wavey jones sticks around when he first spawns anyways.

PLUS the issue isnt dealing with sanity, its that he spawns at a threshhold that makes no sense. Seriously, you only start visibly seeing that youre going insane at around 100 sanity (assuming your max sanity is 200) and he appears when youre at 150. Unless you specifically check your sanity (which unless you have a mod that displays the exact stat number at all times is hard to remember) you are gonna see your sanity badge on the HUD and subconciously say "that is decent sanity, so i should be fine". But tough luck, you are actually in extreme danger going sailing like this. You are in more danger of having trouble with an insanity creature that spawns at 75% sanity than the creatures that spawn at 15% and lower. That makes absolutely no sense. You can have a tam o shanter, you can have sanity food, you can have whatever the heck you possibly can to combat sanity issues, if your sanity is below 75%, which btw is a really good threshhold any other time in the game, you run the risk of undoing the progress you made for your boat. And if you wanna devalue my entire argument with "you dont know what losing progress feels like" then by your logic you havent played dont starve because then youd know how bad it actually is to lose a lot of progress due to one mistake.

21 minutes ago, Freshness said:

and dont forget, unlike shadow hands he's gonna come back again and again until the night is over.
wavey jones is an annoyance that is just overly punishing should you fail to take care of said annoyance just once.
its not fun having to only pay attention to taking care of him all night and its not fun to have your boat sink within like 2 seconds because your sanity was slightly lower than max. 

again, im all for challenge n what not but not everything should just be accepted as "oh its a challenge lol" even if it isnt a challenge. 

not to mention visiting the lunar island on boat is now way too dangerous because you either run the risk of sinking your boat or you get put to sleep thanks to gestalts repeatedly, unless you carry tons of sanity food on you to turn your sanity around on a dime, which is something i expect from the atrium in the caves, not an island that is above ground.

Legit, you only gotta keep your sanity high, which is INCREDIBLY easy. And who keeps important items on the boat???? What.

I've legit never had any issues with Wavey. I kept my sanity high while on the boat. ANd if I needed to lose sanity, I'd do it on land.

Wavey jones enforcers being PREPARED.

And I fully support that.

Just now, Nikki Darks said:

Legit, you only gotta keep your sanity high, which is INCREDIBLY easy. And who keeps important items on the boat???? What.

I've legit never had any issues with Wavey. I kept my sanity high while on the boat. ANd if I needed to lose sanity, I'd do it on land.

Wavey jones enforcers being PREPARED.

And I fully support that.

so... 75% sanity is not a high threshhold?

Especially compared to literally anything else with sanity? Like for example visual cues only occuring when below 50% and the creatures that are supposed to be the most dangerous aspects of insanity spawning when below 15% sanity?

I damn well know myself how to deal with sanity and I know myself how easy it is. But in my eyes that threshhold is simply unreasonable for all the things wavey can do.

Also if you would think for a moment perhaps you dont necessarily keep important items on your boat, but in your inventory. Yknow stuff like lightsources, a tam, armor, weapons. All of those seem pretty important to me, but who knows I guess I'm just a noob who has no idea of anything.

1 minute ago, Freshness said:

so... 75% sanity is not a high threshhold?

Especially compared to literally anything else with sanity? Like for example visual cues only occuring when below 50% and the creatures that are supposed to be the most dangerous aspects of insanity spawning when below 15% sanity?

I damn well know myself how to deal with sanity and I know myself how easy it is. But in my eyes that threshhold is simply unreasonable for all the things wavey can do.

Also if you would think for a moment perhaps you dont necessarily keep important items on your boat, but in your inventory. Yknow stuff like lightsources, a tam, armor, weapons. All of those seem pretty important to me, but who knows I guess I'm just a noob who has no idea of anything.

It really ain't. Sailing in my eyes should be a bit more difficult. 

Base overworld is the easy.

Caves/Ocean should be the difficults.

75% sanity isn't problematic... You've clearly never played DS Willow. She started fires at 50%.

I can't believe that, when the entire game is easy, you find an issue in keeping your sanity full during this ONE part of the game??? WHat.

Ocean SHOULD enforce playstyle changes.

1 minute ago, Nikki Darks said:

75% sanity isn't problematic... You've clearly never played DS Willow. She started fires at 50%.

I can't believe that, when the entire game is easy, you find an issue in keeping your sanity full during this ONE part of the game??? WHat.

hmm today i will disallow people from making multi-boat bases and make boat bases much harder because le epic playstyle change

Just now, Lbphero said:

hmm today i will disallow people from making multi-boat bases and make boat bases much harder because le epic playstyle change

Just keep your sanity up when near/on your boats, and you're gucci. Just that easy.

Just keep your sanity up when near/on your boats, and you're gucci. Just that easy.

the problem is, if you somehow missed it the other times it's been mentioned, is that its way too punishing if you happen to not be sane. Especially compared to the rest of the game

I dont find an issue keeping my sanity full on the ocean, I find it unreasonable to spawn wavey at a threshhold like 75%
that is all i am saying. Dont twist the words in my mouth. 
And just for the record I played a lot of ds willow and I can say that her spawning fires at that threshhold is crappy, but not as dumb as this.
I mean if youre actually looking at what youre saying you compare the threshhold at which you can visibly see and hear the effects of insanity to a threshhold that shows no signs of it whatsoever, but still expect a very punishing shadow creature to spawn at that thresh.

Besides the ocean already enforces a different playstyle. Anybody that goes sailing regularly knows this. Staying high sanity isnt even a different playstyle, i do that all the time. Im just not above 75% at all times because 75% is a high threshhold compared to literally any other sanity threshhold for anything else.

1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

the problem is, if you somehow missed it the other times it's been mentioned, is that its way too punishing if you happen to not be sane. Especially compared to the rest of the game

The ONLY reason why it seems so punishing is because the rest of the game is easy.

Even a blind person could manage 99% of the things in dst, but this one thing that's slightly harder is suddenly so horrendous.

It's simply harder by comparison. Das it, it ain't that deep.

I don't think we should be getting mad about the game getting harder, we should be mad that 99% of the game is stupidly easy.

Archived