[Game Update] - 417125

• Developer
  • Disabled a memory optimization which ended up causing a performance issue in large worlds.
  • Walter’s Slingshot will now benefit from buffs, such as Volt Goat Chaud-Froid.
  • Walter is now properly affected by items that use magic to manipulate the wearer’s sanity. 
  • Fixed Walter’s salute from turning on lanterns.
  • The Top Hat is no longer invisible when placed on the ground
  • Fixed an issue where Wendy would restore sanity every time she went in and out of the caves while Abigail is summoned.
  • Streamlined new account flow.

View full update

• Like 16
  • Thanks 18

1 minute ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Walter is now properly affected by items that use magic to manipulate the wearer’s sanity. 

Does that mean items like the one man band are going to be affecting Walters sanity as well now?

While I agree with the idea and dedication to lore, maybe the items that got more use from Walter (with not affecting his sanity) than they normal ever get could be used as insight into items that could use some tweaks for more incentive to use them when compared to the sanity drain they give.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Walter is now properly affected by items that use magic to manipulate the wearer’s sanity

1 hour ago, Bellium said:

Does that mean items like the one man band are going to be affecting Walters sanity as well now?

On the bad side yes, it is now affected by all the negative-sanity drain from all magic items. 

On the bright side, non-clothing armor that raises sanity, also raises his sanity now. EG: scaled armor, thulecite armor.

• Like 4

• Developer
47 minutes ago, engiSonic said:

so, how did that work? because i'm legitimately curious how the code would accidentally cause such an effect.

When holding an item, the item is part of the player animation. We rely on certain animation layer names for switch the lights on and off. I believe there was a misnamed layer in the new salute animation that cause the light overlay on the lantern to become un-hidden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 21

33 minutes ago, PeterA said:

When holding an item, the item is part of the player animation. We rely on certain animation layer names for switch the lights on and off. I believe there was a misnamed layer in the new salute animation that cause the light overlay on the lantern to become un-hidden.

That must've been a quirky fun bug to hunt down...

• Like 1

This update was excellent. In addition to solving the problem of host oscillation, made great graphical optimizations. Previously my grass plantation was between about 30-40 fps now remain 54+. My farm area was between 45-48 now 58-60. Thank you very much.  :wilson_love:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Walter is now properly affected by items that use magic to manipulate the wearer’s sanity.

Walter is not afraid of anything, except

• One-man Band
  • Night Light
  • Dark Sword
  • Night Armor
  • Nightmare Amulet
  • The Lazy Deserter

and getting hurt.

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Streamlined new account flow.

Did it mean it's eaier to create a new account for a new player?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Developer
3 hours ago, 359368170 said:

Did it mean it's eaier to create a new account for a new player?

Yup, the creation process is automatic. The user doesn't need to do anything now when they first launch the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Speaking of game bugs, I've found one but that's not related to Walter...

Spoiler

The antlion's falling rocks pushed me off the edge into the abyss (because I was "hugging" the edge of the map), good thing I had my lazy explorer to return back, otherwise I would have been stuck there forever.

Edited by Charlie Dark
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Reveal hidden contents

The antlion's falling rocks pushed me off the edge into the abyss (because I was "hugging" the edge of the map), good thing I had my lazy explorer to return back, otherwise I would have been stuck there forever.

Also unrelated to Walter but probably still a Bug with DS Hamlet (Xbox). 

Spoiler

Okay so as you know Hamlet released just two days ago for Xbox, Awesome right!! Well- I was playing as Walani in Hamlet (Because I can..) And I went out surfing on a pond lake gathering supplies, then I return to the land and go to retrieve my Surfboard, except I wasn’t paying attention that I had no inventory space to put it!! So the results is the Board slipping out of my hand and then sinking into the pond.. Now (because DS Solo has no Rollback feature)- I’m looking at the crafting materials needed to make a new Surfboard for Walani.. & Do Seashells even SPAWN In Hamlet?!?! Ugh... Shouldn’t Surfboards Float? x.X

30 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Reveal hidden contents

You can type /rescue in chat to get teleported back on land.

Now, I haven't used this in ages, but it should still work.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

You can type /rescue in chat to get teleported back on land.

Now, I haven't used this in ages, but it should still work.

NO! I never use console commands, but that could work too, I guess.

(Oh, it's not a console command? Nevermind...)

Edited by Charlie Dark
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

NO! I never use console commands, but that could work too, I guess.

"/rescue" ain't a console command since you don't need to use your console to make it work, you need to intput it in your chat.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Disabled a memory optimization which ended up causing a performance issue in large worlds.
  • Walter’s Slingshot will now benefit from buffs, such as Volt Goat Chaud-Froid.
  • Fixed Walter’s salute from turning on lanterns.
  • The Top Hat is no longer invisible when placed on the ground
  • Fixed an issue where Wendy would restore sanity every time she went in and out of the caves while Abigail is summoned.
  • Streamlined new account flow.

View full update

Maybe now I can start playing on my MacBook again.  One of the updates had tanked my performance on my 1600 day world.

7 hours ago, PeterA said:

Yup, the creation process is automatic. The user doesn't need to do anything now when they first launch the game.

This is awesome; I got my colleagues to play the game. It took too many steps to get to a point where they can play with me:

1. Go to Steam site
  2. Download Steam
  3. Look up Don't Starve Together, avoid Don't Starve
  4. Purchase
  5. Wait for Installation
  6. Open the game, through Steam
  7. Game Volume is too loud, the music is annoyingly loud but Setting button is buried under Sign Up page
  8. They wanted to deal with Volume first, not Sign Up for a game they are not sure if they like it
  9. Can't figure out, well, just Sign Up then
  10. Go to Chrome? Ok...
  11. Sign Up done, now how do I finally turn down the Volume?
  12. It says Host game and play alone; how do I join?
  13. It asks Social/Cooperative/.../Madness, How do I join the game?
  14. It shows too many Servers, how do I join the game? (the search button was too small and too hidden compared to how central its utility is in that Server List interface)
  15. Oh my, who should I pick? No I don't want to just pick among the first few; tell me everything about them so I make a informed decision (recent updates did really good job on this front)
  16. Hello World!

I think most of this process can be wildly automated, and glad Klei has solved a few. It would be awesome if they could directly pay for the game in Klei's site, maybe through a link that redirects them to Steam's site, so they install both Steam+DST, which could make the first few items much better user experience. Default Game Volume should be around 3 for FX, Music etc., not 10, this is an easy fix for the most annoying UX. The Server Flavor is rarely used and is just a tag; maybe omit it as a separate screen, esp. from new players as they do not need to do one more decision upfront. 

• Like 2

• Developer
20 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

Is this something that PS4 will receive at some point?

Consoles don't need to disable the optimization (it was originally put in for consoles) because this particular change doesn't seem to have had the same impact there.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3