Would you like swimming in the game?

2 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

If so, what would it be like in your eyes? Would you need a specific item to perform it? Would you be able to craft while in water?

yes once I get my glutton hounds maeskie.

It would be funny to see either a pair of wings made out of gears and moose/goose feathers or floats. But all I know is that Woodie says he cannot swim when examining a pond(?) and that Wurt likes the water, so it could be exclusive to a few characters...

Tbh I expected that for Woodie's werebeaver form or heck, even for Wurt, but Klei followed another road. 

And talking about Wurt, why does she lose sanity when having wet things in their inventory? It contradicts her quotes and "perk", it doesn't make any sense, uhg!

Swimming as I see it should instantly max a player's wetness, and drain a player's hunger faster than usual. These penalties don't apply to Wurt, obvs.

Swimming as I see it is pretty niche, allowing players to cross small land gaps at the cost of max wetness, or dousing yourself in water during summer 

2 hours ago, Misa22 said:

And talking about Wurt, why does she lose sanity when having wet things in their inventory? It contradicts her quotes and "perk", it doesn't make any sense, uhg!

I couldn't agree more. It's weird how a member of a species that thrives on being wet still takes full sanity drain from wet inventory/being wet. I guess we can't have a dedicated Spring character (does Wormwood count? He blooms, but that doesn't really help him survive spring...) even though we have dedicated Winter (Wilson, Webber, Woodie) and Summer (Willow) characters.

Note: What I mean by dedicated is they were made to have an easier time in a certain Season.

DST is the only place swimming really could be added at this point; in Shipwrecked or one of those little Hamlet lakes, if your boat breaks you get pulled under by shadows, and pre Return of Them the waves around the main island weren't real water so who knows what might have happened if you tried to touch it. DST has established that you can enter the water without being immediately killed, so it should be theoretically possible for characters to swim in it.

I don't have a strong opinion about characters being able to swim across little gaps in the land or hop into the water to cool off, except to point out that it would make Wortox a little less strong comparatively and that it would call for new animations which is probably why nobody's made a mod for it. I'm more concerned that it would cause efficiency-minded players to ditch the slow and cumbersome DST boats for everything except maybe ocean fishing and swim around until they reach the lunar island. Weather permitting, obviously, since you'd freeze to death if you did it in winter.

"You can't access your inventory at all" seems difficult to justify in-universe and really harsh - you can use items from your inventory when you're actively being chewed on by feral dogs, it doesn't make logical sense for you to not be able to reach it because you're in the water, the reason Woodie can't is because he's transformed into a bestial were-creature at the time and geese don't understand pockets - but just relying on the sanity penalty of constant full wetness wouldn't be much of a problem if you outran the shadow creatures and ended your trip at the lunar island, and an extra hunger drain while swimming wouldn't be difficult to work around since you can carry a large amount of long-lasting food even without access to bundling wraps, so it does seem necessary to impose something stricter. Kind of like how Woodie can't stay in weregoose form forever.

Whatever the swimming penalty would be shouldn't apply to Wurt, of course, because she's a fish-person.

12 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Swimming as I see it should instantly max a player's wetness, and drain a player's hunger faster than usual. These penalties don't apply to Wurt, obvs.

Swimming as I see it is pretty niche, allowing players to cross small land gaps at the cost of max wetness, or dousing yourself in water during summer 

This could be a good use, moving extremely slow (75% speed penalty) and consuming hunger x3, while getting you to 100% wetness for its duration. This would not make it suitable to explore, but enough to cross small gaps of water at a high cost. Walking canes, magiluminiscence, etc should probably not apply any speed advantage while on the water.

It would also work as a second chance to survive drowning for a little bit. If you know there is no way out of where you are, you can maybe press a "give up" button to drown as we now do and be washed ashore, with the max hp penalty and losing some items.

5 hours ago, BeeClops said:

hmm maybe only in summer

This is also a good point. Dst water is probably freezing water as far as we know of, many places in the world despite having a warm summer, have freezing seawaters all year round and are very hard to bear for a long time without neoprene, or other kind of protection.

Perhaps swimming should also quickly drop your temperature to the point where its only useful during summer, the first 5 days of autumn, and the last 5 days of spring, adding a high risk of freezing to death or taking cold damage outside of those times.

If your hunger meter reaches 0 in the water, or your hp goes down to less that 10% of your max health for whatever reason (mostly freezing) you dont immediately die, you drown and get washed ashore (and probably die there)

Specific differences I can think of:

- Wurt will get the movement speed penalties while swimming, but not the other penalties. She should probably slowly gain wetness while submerged, instead of immediately going up to 100.

- The Werebeaver form only gets the speed penalty while slowly gaining wetness, same as Wurt. The moose form will get all the penalties except freezing and higher hunger. Human Woodie will have all the usual penalties.

- Wes, Warly, blooming Wormwood and normal/mighty Wolfgang,  should probably have a "x3 hunger rate while swimming" compared to a Wilson, not x3 of their base hunger rate which is already increased. 

- Wolfgang should probably swim faster while mighty, but still not enough to explore the ocean. Maybe his speed penalty is only - 50% taking into account his mighty speed bonus.

- You can cross water gaps while riding a beefalo but if you stay in the water riding it for longer than X seconds the beefalo will start taking freezing damage. It should be slowed by 75% as well, and get you wet.

- WX shouldn't be able to swim. Will always immediately drown if he falls to the water, and wont even give the option to start swimming.

14 hours ago, Hornete said:

Walani isnt in the game.

Why do you have to insist on such a painful reminder? -sad tear emoji here-

YES she’s not in the game, (Yet..) But IF She was then allowing characters to “Swim” would effectively render Walani even more useless then she already is.

If they planned to add any types of smaller more easily craftable boats like a paddle raft or whatever, it would defeat the purpose.

The TL:DR- Who in their right mind is going to spend all the time to build a seafaring Tab, a boat platform, a oar (At MINIMUM) to paddle out to sea and gather the 20 kelp Wurt needs for her Royal Tapestry when this Idea seems to suggest that we ditch boats entirely and just swim out there and pick it up.

As someone who has played a hell of a lot of Wurt since her release, while it makes sense given her Quotes.... it would also obviously be completely broken to the challenge of her building her craftable kit items.

Archived