Teaser of Wilson's rework? The effects of Nightmare Throne

So there's no denying that in the She Sells Seashells trailer Wilson clearly has black arms and claws

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c2dc44856f688281e1fec287be662747.png

The only other non-monster survivor with claws is Maxwell

Spoiler

image.png.79dd2f505f12154b379f0e04d2af79dc.png

Both of them have sat on the Nightmare Throne before.

This leads me to believe that Wilson's rework will show the effects of sitting on that Throne. Maybe even Shadow Wilson will make an apperance.

I do hope that Wilson becomes more than just a default character. Cuz right now he's just a blank character used to rate other survivors' perks

10 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

This leads me to believe that Wilson's rework will show the effects of sitting on that Throne. Maybe even Shadow Wilson will make an apperance.

That's a very interesting idea that i have not thought about before. Personally i'd like to see Wilson perform better in terms of science and knowledge. Just because he's a failed gentleman scientist doesn't mean he doesnt possess any wisdom. For now, Wilson is just a nutrient tank that can grow a beard within a blink of an eye, but i have faith in his rework and how much potential it has.

I'm not convinced yet. Wilson's always had the black hand sprite, and been depicted similar in other forms (though yea, I think this is the first animatic to show it).

The concept of after-throne afflictions is too similar to Maxwell, and it's not like Wilson was on the throne long. Would be redudant to tread on another characters gimmick when there's scientific directions to take it.

As I said in "which character needs rework the most" topic:

"Wilson pass whole Adventure mode events, sit on Nightmare Throne, build portal alongside with Maxwell and hang out with for a long time (You can see this in their quotes). This events can be key to his new crafting tab - Science mixed with Dark Magic. He also have some medical knowledge reffering to his healer role in future. He can perfrom first aid in Forge and have physician skin in Gorge."image.thumb.png.e89ad6ef61195775f4f227af85e6a09d.png

I see where you're coming from, but I'd say there needs a bit more evidence than just how his fingers look in a trailer. After all, Wickerbottom's are pointy in that one too:
image.png.6bd5737a279dad2cde91a8375f8d9966.png
I checked the Turn of Tides trailer too, and his fingers switch between pointy and round at different times. They're also white here, despite being shown as black in She Sells Seashells.
image.png.1d1bbfc26e77e91c9fc84bf82049f9de.pngimage.png.322d02b20ff3321924df1edb82225e13.png
They're back to pointy in Hook Line and Inker...but they're black again, too.
image.png.a1c275b320e999356db97377e9c6a1c9.png
So, personally? I'd say it's a fine theory on its own, but using small details in trailers as evidence isn't really going to work out too well. It's entirely possible that small details like Wilson's hands could simply be a bit off model depending on the trailer, or sometimes it's that different artists have different ways of drawing the characters (you can totally tell when a Wilson's mostly by Jeff Agala for example, like in A 1st For Everything.)

Wilson has lab rats, slits his own hand open, lived ALONE in the WOODS with Keep out signs pasted on his land, had Skeletons shackled to his Wall.... 

now unless the dude is a fan of Halloween and just keeps his house creepy all the time, I’m going to assume that the Shackled Skeleton to the wall was a REAL Person once.

I could go into some crazy theory about needing the lab rats and his own blood and forbidden knowledge to bring someone back from the afterlife and that’s why he has a chained up skeleton in his house...

But facts are facts and the dude is Creepy as Hell and Mysterious.

I would LIKE A Wilson Rework to reflect upon his Science, and knowledge learned while on the shadow throne.

But that’s just me.. boring characters with no fun perks are my least favorite characters to play as- even though Wilson was what started it all.. He still doesn’t have a Ghost that follows him around helping him out.

#WendyMains.

6 hours ago, Zeklo said:

The concept of after-throne afflictions is too similar to Maxwell, and it's not like Wilson was on the throne long. Would be redudant to tread on another characters gimmick when there's scientific directions to take it.

I mean… that could very much be the thing that differentiates them. Maxwell was on the Throne long enough to grow accustomed to its effects and powers. And because of that he is now a magic user.

Wilson on the other hand was on the throne, let's say, about an hour. If we assume that the Throne loads whoever sits on it with magic power then Wilson could very much just end up being an unpredictible pile of shadow magic.

Y'know Wilson cannot control that magic unlike Maxwell. But that's just my idea of Wilson's rework

37 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I still feel Maxwell and Wilson should be saved last for Lore reasons. They can be relaxing projects for devs after they tackle the op trio.

Yeah totally. I myself have said like half a year ago that Wilson should be the last to be reworked and Maxwell being reworked right b4 him

43 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I believe that the rework could be given to an other character instead, we already know stuff about Wilson...

Klei makes a really strange refreshes indeed. Wortox and Warly has lore from shorts, they`re  are good examples. However, remember Woodie. Got an intresting rework, lame short. We L I T E R A L L Y didnt get anything new from his past and lore. Even more qustions cause of his new forms. In my opinion its kinda egoistic to give some characters lore, and some not. Maxwell and Wilson supposed to get that kinda refresh, like Woodie had. More gameplay features, less lore in short. Unless Klei have something REALLY special for them

I've always thought the black hands/arms were just an art-style thing, especially in the early days.  I'd see people wearing black arm-sleeve things to dress as Wilson at a convention or whatever and be like "Noooo...you're wearing a 2000's goth-girl accessory for a male character from 1920...his arms are black because scribble art style what are you doing..."  Then other characters with more "normal" skin tone came along...but have you noticed, how many of them STILL have plain black arms and legs when you're messing with outfits at the wardrobe screen?  

blacklegs.png.d2c2ee6c326cf8691446d538c22f64e7.png

Left to right:  Shadow...warrior...thingie Willow shows off her lovely black stick gams, Wickerbottom in a Victorian/frost outfit with her default legs  under the dress, and Warly becomes a pretty pink schoolgirl, with scribble-black legs.  I should've had them all do the SAME pose, but oh well.

it often happens when putting on a plain seperate skirt...but _not always_.  Basically if a character already has skin-tone showing on their arms and/or legs in their DEFAULT outfit, they'll keep the same colour on no matter what they're wearing.  Wigfrid and Wolfgang, for examples.  Wendy keeps some form of tights on when defaulted and Winona seems to always have grey worker-jumpsuit legs when not specifically wearing other pants/an outfit that covers the whole body.  I just booted up my game and tried out default no-legwear and skirts on everybody who might be relevant (excluding WX, Webber, Wurt, Wormwood and Wortox for obvious reasons) just so I could be sure of this.  You're welcome.

Now, you could still say that Wilson is the only one who has black ARMS, and you'd still be right (ish...there are some exceptions. For example, I'm not sure if the Dryad Gloves ARE just leaves, and for some reason your hands turn scribble-black when you wear them? or leaves _on top of black gloves_.  But, due to the whole Verdant theme, JUST leaves on top of your hands would make more sense, so...)  But again, I think that's mostly an art-style thing. Also the older a character is to the franchise, the more black scribbleness they seem to have on their default design, and the newer ones start having less stick-figurelike, more actually coloured-in limbs.  I mean, notice that Willow here doesn't just have black legs, she has STICK legs.  No, this is not an artifact of her wearing the Triumphant head; she has these in her original look too.

But, that's obviously not her actual skin tone, as the rest of her (and these other characters) is pale white.  So why are her legs black?  ART STYLE.

All of this is making me look EXTREMELY on the stodgy, boring, practical "IT'S JUST A GAME U GAIS" side...when I'm actually not.  I have _no_ problem believing that something weird-looking or seeming about a character is actually (in the story) true, IF.  WE'RE _TOLD_ THAT.  It has to be confirmed by words or at least symbolic images or typed text by a dev somewhere, rather than just "Ooh, this looks like that so I'm saying it IS because that's cooler and more mysterious!"  In other words, I don't accept fanon as canon. 

Spoiler

In fact, I sometimes don't accept CANON as canon, if it's suddenly way out of character, horribly written, or I have reason to believe the writer in question doesn't know what they're doing with the franchise in question/doesn't _like_ the character they were told to write for  Like, I didn't even WATCH Game of Thrones and I still chuck the last season out the window--that's how badly-written that was.  You need SOME justification/explanation beforehand or hopefully not too long after, even if it's _stupid_ explanations, such as "mind control spores" "aliens made them do it" "it was actually his clone" or even the dreaded "It was all just a dream..." 

If the character or even the entire SERIES suddenly veers off violently in terms of tone or actual events to give you _physical_ whiplash, and there's no even _attempt_ to explain why (or a really lame, "obviously not even trying" one) in the actual thing?  I'm'a chalk it up to "Author was clueless/careless."

Like, I have absolutely nothing AGAINST the idea of the Trade-Inn Guy being an actual character who exists within the Constant and can interact with the Survivors?  But that's never been SHOWN yet.  Until it is, I will still think of him as a meta-character meant for the _players_ to interact with, only...but the second he DOES show up in in an actual Klei-made thing casually chatting with Wilson and Maxwell over a nice game o' cards, I'd _happily_ change my mind.  There just..hasn't been any indcation that he CAN interact with them or is even in the same reality.  Yet.

ALSO...Wilson being _the_ one to free Maxwell and then sit (at least briefly) on the Shadow Throne...is only canon in _cinematics_.  In actual GAMEPLAY, it's whoever _you_, the player, first finished Adventure Mode with!  In my case, that was Wigfrid.

shadowwigfrid.png.37126b7ebf52f7ae6c18e5ae3402b33a.png

(You can't weave her shadow outfit so I made do with stuff I already had.)

Wilson is shown on the Throne during the short because he is, as people have said, "the poster child of Don't Starve", but I have always taken that as...an example.  A representative, you might say.  We see Charlie rescuing A person who got to the end of the game, and they used Wilson because he's the most well-known/iconic.  But that's just ONE of the possible timelines.  In my case, Wigfrid would've started to get bored of acting the part of a regal warrior-queen and be getting antsy to move and fight again, when suddenly!...what's that down the hallway...?

TL;DR:  Don't Starve is such a stylised-looking game that it's really hard to tell what's supposed to be "how the character _actually_ is" vs. "eh, we just felt like drawing it that way."  And just because ONE thing was shown in a short, doesn't mean that's the _only_ way it could've happened. 

TL;TL;DR : Wilson has black arms and claws because scribble, but I _can_ be convinced otherwise if it ain't just a fan theory.  : P

...Notorious

I've always liked the idea of Wilson having minor shadow powers from the throne. Obviously it would depend if/when Maxwell gets a rework, but I think it would add to Wilson's character. I'm not exactly sure what this would entail, but what comes to mind is allied shadow hands at low sanity that spawn from light sources. Similar to Charlie's shadow hands, but ones that will attack enemies. However, I agree that Wilson wouldn't have a lot of control over it, and they might even possibly attack him and other allies. I'm also totally for him being repurposed into a support healing class based on him in the Gorge. 

I agree on it possibly just being a stylized thing. Initially I thought Wilson was just wearing long, black, rubber gloves from his experiments. So it might as well be nothing. And for some of the shorts, there was a conscious decision to make his hands his regular skin tone, and make it look like he is wearing some kind of black undershirt. If it's like Maxwell's black shadow claws, maybe Wilson has some control over the appearance of his hands? In Wortox's short, was he just sick of wearing gloves and cut them off to give his hands a break? I sure don't know. 

Whenever Wilson get's a rework (assuming he does) I would hope that he get's something involving the meat effigy. Some sort of increased affinity beyond what he has already with his beard. That or some other insane science experiments that would be so illogical to other's that they don't even have the slightest idea how Wilson thought of something so hairbrained.

For example something I think that would be very fitting to his character would be creating potions that grant extraordinary abilities maybe even too powerful but at the cost of instantly killing so you'd have to revive to use it or some sort of debuff at the end. Could be based off of failed medical treatments in history with the explanation that they actually did work it's just the side effects of instant death made it impossible to see that it did work.

Archived