How to make sure hounds never kill you again!

Hounds are annoying: they are fast, come in a big number and are often a surprise. However, they are a few things you can do to take care of them. This guide will not cover the most common ways of dealing with hounds, but things that are more unknown among the community.

1) The kiting pattern of a hound is simple: when you see the hound come, 1 hit (less risky), then attack the hound again and rince and repeat!

2)To take down hounds, you can burn them with a torch and avoid burning one of them that you will just kill with your weapon. This technique allows you to get ride of them 1 by 1: however, make sure you are in a place with only a few things, because everything burning down would just make things really bad!

3) Be aware of fire hounds: they do not spawn only during summer, they also appear during the second / third/ fourth and so one autumn, at any moment of the season! This is why I suggest you go in an isolated place during those seasons to avoid having everything set on fire.

4) Be carefull when going on for a boss fight! Do not forget hounds have the potential to spawn when going on for a fight. For Klaus, hounds will attack the dears but will be unable to kill them, so it is still fine. However, if your making your way to the antlion. If you are in the desert, go to an oasis to be able to kite the monsters. 

5) If you are in a bad position, you can always jump threw a wormhole to escape hounds.

This is it for this short guide! I hope hounds will not cause you trouble after this list of advice :).

or pigs can backfire in spring / when its a fool moon. 

15 minutes ago, chenais said:

-SNIP-

When you kite a hound, follow this instruction: bait their attack (aka getting close to them and then running away to dodge the attack) and then hit them 2x. Repeat.

Attacking with a torch will set the mob you attacked on fire. This causes them to panic and is useful against most groups of mobs. Basically crowd control in DST.

Fire hounds spawn in Summer and Autumn. Don't let them ambush you as they will spawn fire when killed.

Usually you want to count the days for a hound wave. Early on before 1 year in DST (which is 70 days), hound waves are usually around 6-7 days so you don't need to worry for the first year. Second year however, the hound waves start to be more frequent, thus it's best to fight a boss right after a hound wave so you won't be ambushed by a hound wave mid-fight.

Wormholes can unload mobs and in simple terms, make them inactive. As long as there's no player around an area in DST, that area will go inactive and most of the objects in there will shut down and not move. This applies to hounds therefore moving through a wormhole will unload the hounds until you use the wormhole again.

1 hour ago, chenais said:

For Klaus, hounds will attack the dears but will be unable to kill them, so it is still fine

This is not true. While the dears have a staggering amount of HP (1500 exactly), they can and will die if they have been hurt before or hounds gang up on them, which will quickly lead to klaus enraging and causing chaos.

In addition, fire hounds can also spawn during the first autumn. While the chance of it is incredibly low (10% of the hounds can be fire hounds past day 10), it is possible and can be very deadly.

As for dealing with them, I pretty much use other mobs, darts, or other things characters might have. And if you really don’t want to deal with them, there is always relogging.

3 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

This is not true. While the dears have a staggering amount of HP (1500 exactly), they can and will die if they have been hurt before or hounds gang up on them, which will quickly lead to klaus enraging and causing chaos.

In addition, fire hounds can also spawn during the first autumn. While the chance of it is incredibly low (10% of the hounds can be fire hounds past day 10), it is possible and can be very deadly.

As for dealing with them, I pretty much use other mobs, darts, or other things characters might have. And if you really don’t want to deal with them, there is always relogging.

my last 3 worlds had fire hound wave in the 1st autumn, almos burned my base in the 1st of the row xD

10 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

And if you really don’t want to deal with them, there is always relogging.

This is so cruel because if I am the host of a Server, and YOU leave during a Hound wave, your hounds don’t just magically disappear... they come find me. xD

Since I Main Wendy they aren’t that much of an Issue for me and Abigail even in piles of 20-30 hounds as long as I actually HELP her fight the hounds and not just rely on Abigail to kill them all...

20200314140124_1.thumb.jpg.6fea73db7b43f8735f255a4d3ca89f85.jpg

Making tons of tooth traps in an isolated area is one of the best, if not the best way to deal with hounds. Simply lead hounds onto traps. It will take 3 traps to kill a hound, and 2 to kill elemental hounds.

Since Ice hounds drop quite a quantity of teeth, you should be well set up after your first winter. Even at least 10 traps are enough to deal with a small hound wave of at least 4 doggos. If there are more atbleast you get to thin their numbers considerably.

Another easy way to deal with hounds is by letting them aggro onto a beef herd/pig village.

Fire is underrated when fighting hounds, indeed. Once they close to fire they start staggering and it scatters their numbers.

That, plus a few tooth trap areas across the map at strategical positions, is usually does the trick. Tree guards and other mobs are also very usable but not always readily available when needed.

Have a lot of tooth traps.

Put a fling-o-matic near them.

YOU'LL NEED IT..

If you're out and about when the hounds attack (which gets likelier and likelier as the days go on)

(A) Find the nearest other mob(s) that would be even slightly likely to aggro on the hounds 

(B) Introduce them to each other 

(C) Run or bust out the popcorn, depending on your current HP.  :)

And that's how I hound.  (bows)

...Notorious

5 hours ago, Minitte said:

i never thought about burning them with a torch to make them panic :o

Fire is underrate but is pretry useful to crowd controll 

Also you can burn something like a isolate tree to fight arround it so hounds dont hit you (just to easy as willow)

I think the best advice to deal with hounds its to always have a +50 damage weapon (some players love to suffer i guess going to explore with a spear) and run to split them

9 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

This statement is a bit wrong.

According to the lua which controls if hounds should spawn as Red Hounds

local function GetSpecialSpawnChance()
    local day = GetAveragePlayerAgeInDays()
    local chance = 0
    for i, v in ipairs(TUNING.HOUND_SPECIAL_CHANCE) do
        if day > v.minday then
            chance = v.chance
        elseif day <= v.minday then
            return chance
        end
    end
    return TheWorld.state.issummer and chance * 1.5 or chance
end

and the HOUND_SPECIAL_CHANCE value in tuning.lua

HOUND_SPECIAL_CHANCE =
        {
            {minday=0, chance=0},
            {minday=15, chance=.1},
            {minday=30, chance=.2},
            {minday=50, chance=.333},
            {minday=75, chance=.5},
        },

Red Hounds still have a chance of 0% to spawn past day 10. But once the 'average age of the players' in days becomes greater than 15, Red Hounds will start to spawn with a chance of 10%. Red Hounds in the first autumn can only be achieved if not too many players join during mid or late autumn and if a hound wave appears between day 16 and 20.

2 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

-Snip-

Huh, good to know for later. So you still can get fire hounds, but it’s based on player data and it has to be day 15. Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, chenais said:

why would you damage the dears?

You wouldn’t want to damage them, but there’s a lot of ways to accidentally hurt them. From Abigail/other followers hitting them to normal attacking hitting the dears, there’s a lot of ways you can accidentally hurt them a decent amount. It’s pretty rare for them to be in a serious state, but it doesn’t mean it’s truly impossible.

20 hours ago, chenais said:

@Maxil20 why would you damage the dears? Also, I never got fire hounds during the first season.

@Booklover hitting them twice might be hard for begginers, this is why I sayed just one time.

If you're going to kite hounds, I don't recommend doing 1 hit even as a beginner. The whole point of surviving a hound wave is to kill off the hounds as they spawn in so that you don't get overrun. If you take your time killing a hound, more will pop up, meaning more hounds attacking you at once, meaning more damage you will end up taking per second. This is a bit nitpicky, but I don't even recommend doing the strictly-2-hit pattern that you're talking about.

If you are a beginner, you will take less damage face-tanking every hound than 1-hit kiting every hound.

If you're a seasoned player, I recommend doing either the 2-3 hit pattern or the 3-hit kill. It takes 5 hits to kill a hound with a spear for most characters, which is why you should be dodging twice at a MAXIMUM. If you have a fresh ham bat, you don't even need to do the second dodge and can just kill the hound with 3 hits after the first dodge unless you're Wendy or Wes. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:16 PM, GetNerfedOn said:

Making tons of tooth traps in an isolated area is one of the best, if not the best way to deal with hounds.

Another easy way to deal with hounds is by letting them aggro onto a beef herd/pig village.

I Agree but sometimes the hounds managed to slip through the traps if there's alot or some would activate to late that it does not hit them,I dont know if this happens to you to me it does unless I'm not placing them as close as I can

Piggies are useful and if you do not have piggies use tall birds if you can I know they aggro on the player but who wouldn't want to get food as well? Win win for both

Archived