Why are these characters from solo DS missing in DST

21 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Technically, because they haven't been ported to DST (yet?). 
Lore Wise, we don't really know... It would be interesting to know where they are or what happened to each one of them, in the event that they never get ported over.

They didn’t provide an explanation as to how Wormwood arrived in DST from Hamlet.

However they DID Officially explain Warly as having crashed his Ship he had sailed from Shipwrecked into the DST Island as the rest of the group dashes to recover him.

Implying that in THEORY at least.... we should be able to build a boat and set sail to Shipwrecked and Hamlet Themed Biomes.

I own the DLC (minus Ham cause it’s not even available outside of PC Yet..) but I would LOVE to have Shipwrecked Compatibility with DST.

Anyone who does NOT own the DLC can still join my world and play my Shipwrecked content seeing as I own the DLC and I’m the host.. they just couldn’t play the DLC themselves.

(Guess What? No separating the players between who has & who does not have DLC!)

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Anyone who does NOT own the DLC can still join my world and play my Shipwrecked content seeing as I own the DLC and I’m the host.. they just couldn’t play the DLC themselves.

The players still need to download the DLC to play with you.

Not to mention the possible technical limitations of porting stuff over.

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

The players still need to download the DLC to play with you.

Not to mention the possible technical limitations of porting stuff over.

I’m not sure how it works with PC but I know it has already been done many times before with plenty of Console games should be fairly easy to do this for PS4 & Xbox One at least.

“Downloading DLC Assets..”

Theres also the existence of Wortox, Wurt and Wormwood.. DLC characters you can play in the same room with even if you don’t own the DLC yourself. So it’s not like Klei would be completely under experienced with this Concept.

But... I’m no game designer & can not speak on or on behalf of Klei Entertainment.. all I know is I bought some cool Content & I’m limited to playing it in Single Player DS if I want to play that Content & it takes away time I could be playing DST unlocking new Curios.

I actually MISSED the limited time DST events Gorge & WintersFeast 2018 etc.. because instead of playing DST I was playing Shipwrecked.

So to suddenly have Compatibility with that expansion would be a god-send gift from Klei for Me...

Then I can enjoy the content I actually paid for... without missing out on any further Limited time DST cosmetics.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure how it works with PC but I know it has already been done many times before with plenty of Console games should be fairly easy to do this for PS4 & Xbox One at least.

“Downloading DLC Assets..”

Theres also the existence of Wortox, Wurt and Wormwood.. DLC characters you can play in the same room with even if you don’t own the DLC yourself. So it’s not like Klei would be completely under experienced with this Concept.

But... I’m no game designer & can not speak on or on behalf of Klei Entertainment.. all I know is I bought some cool Content & I’m limited to playing it in Single Player DS if I want to play that Content & it takes away time I could be playing DST unlocking new Curios.

I actually MISSED the limited time DST events Gorge & WintersFeast 2018 etc.. because instead of playing DST I was playing Shipwrecked.

So to suddenly have Compatibility with that expansion would be a god-send gift from Klei for Me...

Then I can enjoy the content I actually paid for... without missing out on any further Limited time DST cosmetics.

A core factor of why Klei hasn't ported over SW content is because SW was created by a different studio. I don't know the details, but that's the jist.

23 minutes ago, Canis said:

A core factor of why Klei hasn't ported over SW content is because SW was created by a different studio. I don't know the details, but that's the jist.

But then what about how Hamlet has tons of content taken straight from SW, despite Capy not being involved at all with Hamlet? How does that work? Warly and various over small pieces of content like raw fish are also in DST.
Also, slight correction: Capy and Klei collaborated on SW, it wasn't created entirely by Capy. In fact, any updates after early access (both bug fixes and Home Sea Home) were entirely Klei, as Capy had bailed almost immediately.

Im sure Wagstaff has some special reason why he's not in, Hamlet Characters are I assume "too new" to be ported yet (Wormwood was an exception from the looks of it because he's a DLC) and SW Chars *probably* are going to sail over eventually... however... that works... since I question how you manage to sail over from a fog encased paradise to a place with lifted water because of a moon chunk... hmm..................

50 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Im sure Wagstaff has some special reason why he's not in, Hamlet Characters are I assume "too new" to be ported yet (Wormwood was an exception from the looks of it because he's a DLC) and SW Chars *probably* are going to sail over eventually... however... that works... since I question how you manage to sail over from a fog encased paradise to a place with lifted water because of a moon chunk... hmm..................

I just see everything.. Vanilla DS, RoG DS, DST, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Gorge and Forge (And as hinted with the Lunar Islands.. possibly even the moon itself at some point??) as one big world.

All Of this stuff exists within the Constant and Klei’s vision of their game, They said they didn’t want to make paid dlc’s That separate their fanbase between who has and who does not have DLC add on’s. This is the reason Return of Them has been free for everyone.

Which is Nice... but really I would rather have the DLC’s I’ve already paid money for to simply be compatible with DST, and to avoid community Separation- Only the Actual HOST of the Server has to own the paid DLC expansions.

Hell at this point I would probably be willing to spend 5$ each on them simply because of how “little” variety vanilla DST has with its Biomes, enemy mobs etc..

While some people may not LIKE Shipwrecked... I paid money for that because it’s something I enjoyed.. The only thing keeping me from playing that content is that it’s not currently compatible with DST.

DLC Compatibility isn’t 100% impossible with DST either- as they already showed that it’s possible by giving anyone who owned the Hamlet DLC Access to Wormwood for Free. (There were also some exclusive skins that were tied to owning the expansions Torch & Birdcage but unfortunately for console players these loyality items only work on PC)

Owners Of Shipwrecked would Then have Access to SW Themed Biome Gen, and playable characters Warly, Walani, Wilbur and Woodlegs.

Owners of Hamlet would have Access to Hamlet Biome Gen, and playable characters Wilba, Wheeler, Wormwood & Wagstaff.

Without having to pay for each character or spend 2700 spool to weave each of them.

People who do not own Wormwood, Wortox, and Wurt can still join my world and play with me... So why should DLC expansions be any different?

It would be identical in every way to Minecraft- People can join other people’s worlds and play with their purchased content packs, But to play those worlds in their own game they’ll need to BUY the DLC.

TL:DR I don’t care at all about the climate excuse people bring up with DST not having Shipwrecked Biomes.. SOMEHOW Warly got to DST from SW by crashing a boat into the island so obviously there’s a way to go from DST to SW.. and I’d love to be able to play and enjoy the content I paid for Without being restricted to single player DS.

Thanks <3

Just port all chars, free if you have DLC, paid if not, then klei can sell ton of cosmetic stuff, i'm sure the fan of that char will buy whatever you sell to made there favorite char look good., simple way to collect money like every online game do: free char (or not who care, not me, if i like that char i sure buy) and sell skin.

P/s: port Wilbur next please!!!

6 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Wagstaff's quotes on WX-78 players could heavily hint at him being the creator of that Bot his character seems to be great for a support character especially since other characters have quotes on his items

There's only 1 brand new character and 9 DST refreshes, so we might not be that long before we get a hint of the 2 wave

In 2019 there was 7 characters in total, assuming 2020 is the same (Wendy, Wicker, SW, HAM, Wx-78, BNC, Wolfgang)

Likely to be refreshed  SW- Walani/Wilbur  HAM- Wheeler/Wagstaff   BNC- Waverly/Wilton

6 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

There's only 1 brand new character coming

I am assuming BNC- Waverly/Wilton.

First off.. Wilton was originally meant to be some form of Woodlegs. So perhaps he was intended to have a Pirates curse applied to his character that turns him into an undead skeleton?

But more importantly I must ask a very serious question to everyone who wants Waverly.. that question is.. Why do we even need her now??

Unless Waverly has some completely unique playstyle that separates her drastically apart from Wickerbottom.. The existence of this skin set pretty much sealed Waverly’s faith.

37985CB1-A514-4840-9772-452DFE2F7177.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

First off.. Wilton was originally meant to be some form of Woodlegs. So perhaps he was intended to have a Pirates curse applied to his character that turns him into an undead skeleton?

But more importantly I must ask a very serious question to everyone who wants Waverly.. that question is.. Why do we even need her now??

Unless Waverly has some completely unique playstyle that separates her drastically apart from Wickerbottom.. The existence of this skin set pretty much sealed Waverly’s faith.

37985CB1-A514-4840-9772-452DFE2F7177.jpeg

Going by your logic, Maxwell's Krampus' skin being added should have meant that Wortox isn't needed and should have not been added as a result.

5 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Going by your logic, Maxwell's Krampus' skin being added should have meant that Wortox isn't needed and should have not been added as a result.

No.. my logic is that Wickerbottom pretty much already has abilities fitting of a Witch.

Maxwell did NOT have abilities fitting of Wortox.

The post clearly states that unless this Waverly plays significantly different from Wickerbottom.. that Wickers Bewitching Skin Set pretty much fills the roll of Witch character.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

No.. my logic is that Wickerbottom pretty much already has abilities fitting of a Witch.

The post clearly states that unless this Waverly plays significantly different from Wickerbottom.. that Wickers Bewitching Skin Set pretty much fills the roll of Witch character.

Then why mention that the existence of Wicker's witch skin sealed her fate?

Wicker's role remains librarian whether she's wearing Wolfgang's topless gladiator muscles or Wurt's gills and scales lol

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

What does a stereotypical witch have at their disposal:

-Magic spells
-Magic elixrs and potions
-Magic brooms
-Magic cats
-Cool hats
-An aversion to fire

What does Wickerbottom have:
-Magic Spells
-Insomnia

5 minutes ago, Canis said:

What does a stereotypical witch have at their disposal:

-Magic spells
-Magic elixrs and potions
-Magic brooms
-Magic cats
-Cool hats
-An aversion to fire

What does Wickerbottom have:
-Magic Spells
-Insomnia

Who says Wickerbottom can't have cool hats?

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

TL:DR I don’t care at all about the climate excuse people bring up with DST not having Shipwrecked Biomes.. SOMEHOW Warly got to DST from SW by crashing a boat into the island so obviously there’s a way to go from DST to SW.. and I’d love to be able to play and enjoy the content I paid for Without being restricted to single player DS.

Thanks <3

While i remain undecided to the inclusion of characters and agree the SW and HAM are canon due to Warly and Wormwood, how is good environment/climate design a mere "excuse"? 

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

I just see everything.. Vanilla DS, RoG DS, DST, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Gorge and Forge (And as hinted with the Lunar Islands.. possibly even the moon itself at some point??) as one big world.

Correction: Forge-Gorge are in separate dimensions from the main Constant World. If they weren't, it's either Battlemaster Pugna would have overthrown the Nightmare Throne already, or the Gnaw would have consumed everything and turned all living beings into merms.

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

While i remain undecided to the inclusion of characters and agree the SW and HAM are canon due to Warly and Wormwood, how is good environment/climate design a mere "excuse"? 

Correction: Forge-Gorge are in separate dimensions from the main Constant World. If they weren't, it's either Battlemaster Pugna would have overthrown the Nightmare Throne already, or the Gnaw would have consumed everything and turned all living beings into merms.

I never got to play Gorge or Forge their existence on Xbox is a Myth. Gorge might have been.. but Forge never was.

But considering we’ve never had actual Klei Official dedicated servers I’m starting to think neither was on Xbox at all.

I can’t say for sure.. because I may have simply missed them due to them being over as soon as they begun.

————————————

As for the climate thing.. you have three or four viable options-

Option 1- Sail out to sea into a loading screen to a brand new server shard which no one seems to want that.

Option 2- Add the Biomes out into the ocean similar to the Lunar Isles regardless of rather or not they fit the climate.

Option 3- Add server toggle options to choose to play Shipwrecked Content, Hamlet Content or Vanilla.

or Option 4- Give up and don’t add any of them at all.

Do keep in mind that I’m not asking for nor was I ever expecting any of this content to be a free update.. it would simply be making the content I’ve already paid money for compatible within DST.

Which should be a completely reasonable thing to request.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

snip

Said options I predict to not be viable because:
 - Option 1 takes up too much processing power
 - Option 2 goes against environment design because again, you're slapping islands and entirely different seasons onto a tropical environment. Imagine trying to implement the Hamlet seasons into DST.
 - Option 3 will kill the DLC sales much like DST killed Reign of Giants sales
 - Option 4 is not "giving up" but rather "wisely not adding" due to aforementioned reasons.

You can add in DLC content, but that which makes sense to DST's like water mechanics and characters, and little else, without making the game look overloaded with content.

Well the quote button isn’t working.. but- I said you need to OWN the DLC’s to play them.. so I don’t see that killing sales of anything.

For Example: If you bought Shipwrecked you have Access to SW Biomes, World Gen and Playable Characters Warly, Walani, Wilbur & Woodlegs.

If you bought the Hamlet Expansion you have Access to Ham Biomes, World gen and Playable Characters Wormwood, Wilba, Wheeler and Wagstaff.

If you DO NOT OWN The DLC expansions you can still join and play in someone who does own the contents World.. but you can not host those worlds yourself and 

Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba, Wormwood & Wagstaff will still cost you 5$ each or 2700 spool each to weave.

So If this idea does anything at all it actually makes more profit then it does killing content sales.

———————————

TL:DR- Identical in every single way to joining someone who owns the Skyrim Mash Up pack for Minecraft when you don’t actually own that pack yourself.

———————————

Archived