Why are these characters from solo DS missing in DST

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

First, you said:

On 3/3/2020 at 9:21 PM, Mike23Ua said:

All Of this stuff exists within the Constant and Klei’s vision of their game, They said they didn’t want to make paid dlc’s That separate their fanbase between who has and who does not have DLC add on’s. This is the reason Return of Them has been free for everyone.

Which is Nice... but really I would rather have the DLC’s I’ve already paid money for to simply be compatible with DST, and to avoid community Separation- Only the Actual HOST of the Server has to own the paid DLC expansions.

when it was stated that

On 1/23/2019 at 2:59 AM, Bigfoot said:

It has been a valuable experience and we think the game is better for it, however we feel that it’s time that we turn our attention back to the core Don’t Starve Together experience: surviving together. 

Here’s what we’re doing for 2019:

Brand New Content
The team is now working on brand new content for Don’t Starve Together. Survivors will be able to travel to new lands with new biomes, creatures, and more. 

The focus of said updates is to provide new content unique to DST in order to give attention to DST's core experience of surviving together. DLC content in general is out of that criterion being both already dated and tailored to surviving alone moreso than surviving together.

A case in point being boating mechanics. DST already has dedicated new boating mechanics tailored to sailing together with other people (though it is completely possible alone, mind you). Porting over SW boat mechanics would ruin all the essence of making said boat kits and waste all the time the devs spent trying to give us all a unique experience that allowed us to enjoy sailing together.

What is more, why compare purchaseable cosmetic packs to actual game content packs?

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you DO NOT OWN The DLC expansions you can still join and play in someone who does own the contents World.. but you can not host those worlds yourself and Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba, Wormwood & Wagstaff will still cost you 5$ each or 2700 spool each to weave.

Furthermore, it's strange to see you saying that you'll make Warly a paid character and making the rest of the characters and content of the DLCs still be locked behind a paywall - therefore still creating a divide in the community caused by paid content - after stating your concerns regarding said paywalls.

Please clarify further: how does only having a host buy the DLCs not create a paywall-induced divide? What about players who play alone but cannot afford the DLCs?

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

First, you said:

when it was stated that

The focus of said updates is to provide new content unique to DST in order to give attention to DST's core experience of surviving together. DLC content in general is out of that criterion being both already dated and tailored to surviving alone moreso than surviving together.

A case in point being boating mechanics. DST already has dedicated new boating mechanics tailored to sailing together with other people (though it is completely possible alone, mind you). Porting over SW boat mechanics would ruin all the essence of making said boat kits and waste all the time the devs spent trying to give us all a unique experience that allowed us to enjoy sailing together.

What is more, why compare purchaseable cosmetic packs to actual game content packs?

Furthermore, it's strange to see you saying that you'll make Warly a paid character and making the rest of the characters and content of the DLCs still be locked behind a paywall - therefore still creating a divide in the community caused by paid content - after stating your concerns regarding said paywalls.

Please clarify further: how does only having a host buy the DLCs not create a paywall-induced divide? What about players who play alone but cannot afford the DLCs?

The Seperation of who has and who does not have DLC was meant they did not want people to have to buy DLC packs in order to play the game Together. 

For Example: Ark Survival Evolved just released a new Genesis DLC and people have been leaving the base game maps and moving to Genesis, content that if you don’t own you can’t play with people who do own.

This is the separation of community divided between who owns & who does not own DLC.

My Suggestion Therefore- Is to make that content playable by everyone as long as the Host player has purchased the DLC add-ons. Identical to how the game is NOW where people who own Wurt, Wortox & Wormwood can still join games with people who have yet to purchase them.

There is no divide between the player base because Everyone can play the content together without said content being locked behind Who has purchased and who has and who has not purchased the content.

If you own the packs and your the host your good to go. If you do not own the packs but the host does own the Them you can still join their worlds without having content locked behind a pay wall to you (outside of the Playable Characters...) Which Klei has already stated would be what drove their sales to provide us with free content updates.

Shipwrecked Boats would remain a single person experience and exclusive to Shipwrecked world gen, the DST Boat would still have its functionality outside of Shipwrecked Biome gen.

They Don’t Rework much of anything.. they just should allow people to play SW & Ham Together.

Its also Safe to assume that if your playing Alone you do not count as part of Klei’s personal quest of not separating their fanbase between who does and does not own DLC add ons (please refer to above Ark: Genesis Example) 

Correct me If I am wrong about this but I believe the overall intention was that They did not want to add any paid dlc add ons into the game that would prevent players from playing Together if they did not own the packs.

———————————

but TL:DR Minecraft DLC mash up packs can be bought by the host and ANYONE can still join their worlds and play with them rather they do or do not own the Add-On packs.

38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

For Example: Ark Survival Evolved just released a new Genesis DLC and people have been leaving the base game maps and moving to Genesis, content that if you don’t own you can’t play with people who do own.

This is the separation of community divided between who owns & who does not own DLC.

My Suggestion Therefore- Is to make that content playable by everyone as long as the Host player has purchased the DLC add-ons. Identical to how the game is NOW where people who own Wurt, Wortox & Wormwood can still join games with people who have yet to purchase them.

There is no divide between the player base because Everyone can play the content together without said content being locked behind Who has purchased and who has and who has not purchased the content.

Therein lies the divide: because there's a difference between simply playing with characters and playing as the characters themselves. One person's not going to think "Yay! I'm playing in a server with a Wortox!" but instead think "Oh man, Wortox is so cool! I want to buy him and play him, but I cant for various reasons! Curse the fact that Wortox needs to be bought instead of played!"

Even if you can play with people that own said DLC, you will still be left out of the experiences provided by the DLC and will therefore want to buy said DLC.

Now say, your ideas get implemented, and here lie players with tons of content locked out of their reach because they can't pay the price. They won't be able to play DLC content alone, all they can do is join the server of one person who does - and goodness knows if they can consistently play especially considering that there is the problem (which you also suffer from a lot as you claim) of mister host disconnecting or kicking players without warning.

Shipwrecked Boats would remain a single person experience and exclusive to Shipwrecked world gen, the DST Boat would still have its functionality outside of Shipwrecked Biome gen.

They Don’t Rework much of anything.. they just should allow people to play SW & Ham Together.

If you own the packs and your the host your good to go. If you do not own the packs but the host does own the Them you can still join their worlds without having content locked behind a pay wall to you (outside of the Playable Characters...) Which Klei has already stated would be what drove their sales to provide us with free content updates.

If you're implementing a singleplayer feature into a game that has been stated to be multiplayer in mind, why implement it in the first place if you;re not going to make balance changes such that it fits multiplayer?

My point still stands, DLC content does not fit DST's base content and as such shall not be slapped onto it willy-nilly.

Furthermore, simply allowing people to play singleplayer experiences together without making balance changes of any sort will be chaotic. Think of all the destruction certain DLC items such as the Quackering Ram, the Boat Cannon, the Bird Whistle, the Tar Slick and many other broken singleplayer items could cause if you just deigned to slap all this content into DST without thought - and the outcry that would ensue if they were removed.

Now think of all the time needed to rebalance this - time that could be better spend giving us new content, not old, tired content that's not unique to DST and doesn't fit its' goals of surviving together.

It's also really unfair to just let people who have not payed for a DLC play it, whether via friends' server or not, however indirectly.

but TL:DR Minecraft DLC mash up packs can be bought by the host and ANYONE can still join their worlds and play with them rather they do or do not own the Add-On packs.

It's because said packs are cosmetics and do not contribute to Minecraft's core gameplay. Having the Rosalina skin from the Super Mario MashUp pack will not make your character survive better. Having the Skyrim mashup pack will not make your char survive better.

Having entire DLCs' worth of content and characters with the likes of Wagstaff and Wheeler who can breeze through DST's content with ease will though - and it will hurt for the people who cannot buy said DLCs who will raise an outcry of "Pay-to-win!".

Its also Safe to assume that if your playing Alone you do not count as part of Klei’s personal quest of not separating their fanbase between who does and does not own DLC add ons (please refer to above Ark: Genesis Example) 

You are a player who plays alone, most of the time, as you have stated repeatedly in most of your posts. Does that mean that you do not count as part of Klei's personal quest of separating the fanbase between DLCs? 

TLDR - Singleplayer content must not be carelessly added into DST for balance, environmental, economic reasons.

- The presence of DLC will create a divide between those who can pay and those who can't, inevitably.

- DLC content will need too much time and rebalancing to effectively implement ingame.

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

imagine we are 5 friends and we play together. I have the dlc, my friends no, so i dont have to buy nothing neither them but klei has encode all the stuff from 2 dlcs for "free" killing DS sales waiting for us to buy skins when they could add original (and less game breaker like pigshops) content that fits better in the present constance

How does having access to new Biomes if you own a dlc pack but can still play in those Biomes if you do not own the dlc pack as long as the Host owns the dlc kill DLC sales?

hell Isnt that what family game sharing on Xbox One & PS4 is all about? You only need to buy one copy of something and then it’s game shared.

Maybe Minecraft is a bad example since you consider that one to be purely cosmetic only.. When I can provide a million different downloadable pack examples for Minecraft that do a lot more then just change the way blocks look.

There are packs that let you tame and ride your own fire breathing dragons... are those Also considered cosmetic only?

My point still stands though- They gave Warly away FREE something I paid money for Free to Everyone.. taking content out of Shipwrecked and pasting it into DST.

If that was their plans all along then that’s entirely their choice to make. Some people paid money for RoG and the Ability to Play as Wigfrid and Webber.. for me that content has always been Free and a core part of my game experience.

Maybe that’s why they have decided to give Warly (and Wormwood Free If you own Hamlet..) But Personally I feel like if they do make them all free then the only thing people will have bought the actual expansions For is new Biomes, new craftable items and new mobs.. Content that is limited to playing Single Player DS to experience & enjoy.

What is so wrong with wanting to play DS Shipwrecked: Together? I paid money for it, and it sure makes more sense to me that instead of giving SW stuff & Characters away free that they simply made Together compatible with SW.

The only Legit reason I can see that it hasn’t been done yet is that Shipwrecked was designed by someone other than Klei..

The OP asked why these characters are not in DST..

The answer is probably that If Klei choose to simply port them into DST & gave them all away for Free then people who bought the DLC Expansions would feel shafted.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

taking content out of Shipwrecked and pasting it into DST.

It is not that very easy.

Look at Island Adventures mod; they are porting SW to DST to this day and they're still not mostly done.

Also Minecraft ≠ Don't Starve/ Together

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

How does having access to new Biomes if you own a dlc pack but can still play in those Biomes if you do not own the dlc pack as long as the Host owns the dlc kill DLC sales?

My point still stands though- They gave Warly away FREE something I paid money for Free to Everyone.. taking content out of Shipwrecked and pasting it into DST.

What is so wrong with wanting to play DS Shipwrecked: Together? I paid money for it, and it sure makes more sense to me that instead of giving SW stuff & Characters away free that they simply made Together compatible with SW.

The answer is probably that If Klei choose to simply port them into DST & gave them all away for Free then people who bought the DLC Expansions would feel shafted.

good idea if it's a world skin and the SWC, but if you talking about merging DST+SW then I'm going to tell you that SW wouldn't add much

- you can stay at 2 or even just 1 island and be fine through the majority of the game

- the giants/mobs of SW are pitiful and are mostly just annoying (snakes from every tree chopped, monkeys stealing, poisonous misquotes)

- SW has like dozens of pointless crafts, Lunar island will be to easy to find, DST boats will be too trivial

- the only reason solo-players start/go-to SW: Zen mode, world hooping to Hamlet, too avoid extreme/hectic weather for tropical environment

- wouldn't you much rather something new (fairy-tale/medieval DLC) or for them to fix the bigger issues of DS as a whole like sanity mechanics

- there's already a DST+SW mods for it if you really care (very buggy+laggy)

1 hour ago, JJ0264 said:

good idea if it's a world skin and the SWC, but if you talking about merging DST+SW then I'm going to tell you that SW wouldn't add much

- you can stay at 2 or even just 1 island and be fine through the majority of the game

- the giants/mobs of SW are pitiful and are mostly just annoying (snakes from every tree chopped, monkeys stealing, poisonous misquotes)

- SW has like dozens of pointless crafts, Lunar island will be to easy to find, DST boats will be too trivial

- the only reason solo-players start/go-to SW: Zen mode, world hooping to Hamlet, too avoid extreme/hectic weather for tropical environment

- wouldn't you much rather something new (fairy-tale/medieval DLC) or for them to fix the bigger issues of DS as a whole like sanity mechanics

- there's already a DST+SW mods for it if you really care (very buggy+laggy)

For the record: I like a harder game experience, and I enjoy the more difficult mobs that Shipwrecked brought to DS- Such as for example giving Spider Warriors a Poisonous nite that bleed out your health core over time until you were able to craft an Anti-Venom to stop the Bleed Out.

or the Palm Tree Guardians that had thrown coconut projectiles it could hurl at you.

But The General Idea is that if you own Shipwrecked, you can host Shipwrecked worlds and have Access to all SW Characters for Free, and if you don’t own Shipwrecked, you can still join a SW compatible game as long as the Host owns SW.. but to play as Warly, Walani, Wilbur Or Woodlegs you would have to either:

1-Buy the DLC yourself. 2- Buy each of the SW playable characters separately. Or 3- Weave then with spool at 2700 spool each.

TL:DR it’s not DST+Shipwrecked it’s Shipwrecked Compatibility so I guess a more fitting name would be Shipwrecked: Together!

To answer your question about the difference between DST boats and SW boats, Simple: you can’t use SW boats outside of SW Content. 

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

To answer your question about the difference between DST boats and SW boats, Simple: you can’t use SW boats outside of SW Content. 

how do you justify it?

i love sw boats but they have done a great job with the dst boats, its so immersive. They can still add a snake or hamlet scorpions like mob to the trees (i miss that in dst) or another but adapted stuff from the dlcs but not literally. I would like that they reskin more mobs with other loots just for have more fauna in a easy way

1 minute ago, higor12101 said:

i think dst boats are nice people just dont like them because they were made for be used "together"

you can use alone with a little of practise. I really enjoy sailing and for that my hype its over9000, i think they will include sea stuff in the next patch (i wish). For now i have fun killing cookie cutter (even with low % for the shell)

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

For the record: I like a harder game experience, and I enjoy the more difficult mobs that Shipwrecked brought to DS- Such as for example giving Spider Warriors a Poisonous nite that bleed out your health core over time until you were able to craft an Anti-Venom to stop the Bleed Out.

or the Palm Tree Guardians that had thrown coconut projectiles it could hurl at you.

But The General Idea is that if you own Shipwrecked, you can host Shipwrecked worlds and have Access to all SW Characters for Free, and if you don’t own Shipwrecked, you can still join a SW compatible game as long as the Host owns SW.. but to play as Warly, Walani, Wilbur Or Woodlegs you would have to either:

1-Buy the DLC yourself. 2- Buy each of the SW playable characters separately. Or 3- Weave then with spool at 2700 spool each.

TL:DR it’s not DST+Shipwrecked it’s Shipwrecked Compatibility so I guess a more fitting name would be Shipwrecked: Together!

- lots of items will be and shall be used to grief other players such as Boat , Volcano Staff, Joy of Volcanology, spamming Prime Ape Dens, and the like

-sure, you may enjoy a harder experience but you can't go around making suggestions to satisfy yourself without considering the rest of the communty who may not enjoy said difficulty.

- Palm tree guardians are super easy to pacify, can be burnt to ashes and their coconuts barely ever hit stationary targets. How are they more difficult?

- Again, your ideas force this divide: people who do not have the DLC will feel slighted because there are tons of content and characters they cannot experience without having to find a host who plays said cintent and may even kick them/close server unexpectedly.

- aforementioned Spider warriors will make Webber mains infinitely more lethal and broken

- adding SW boats is an example of what the devs didn't want to develop - singleplayer content not auited to the multiplayer experience DST is trying to provide.

- Implementing this content will take up either too much processing power or clash with DST's environmental design

- and it will take tons of time to rebalance old confent more suited to singleplayer, time that could be used to provide us with a brand new experience.mre suited to mutiplayer than singleplayer DLC.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

hell Isnt that what family game sharing on Xbox One & PS4 is all about? You only need to buy one copy of something and then it’s game shared.

Maybe Minecraft is a bad example since you consider that one to be purely cosmetic only.. When I can provide a million different downloadable pack examples for Minecraft that do a lot more then just change the way blocks look.

There are packs that let you tame and ride your own fire breathing dragons... are those Also considered cosmetic only?

If that was their plans all along then that’s entirely their choice to make. Some people paid money for RoG and the Ability to Play as Wigfrid and Webber.. for me that content has always been Free and a core part of my game experience.

Maybe that’s why they have decided to give Warly (and Wormwood Free If you own Hamlet..) But Personally I feel like if they do make them all free then the only thing people will have bought the actual expansions For is new Biomes, new craftable items and new mobs.. Content that is limited to playing Single Player DS to experience & enjoy.

The only Legit reason I can see that it hasn’t been done yet is that Shipwrecked was designed by someone other than Klei..

The OP asked why these characters are not in DST..

It kills DLC sales because people will not buy the DLC and instead find people to play the DLC with without having to buy said DLC. 

What is more, while its reasonable to share content with your family, with your idea there will be no limit to how many peopls the game content is shared with.

Herein is a concrete example why DLC sales are killed when theyre added for free - since some content (Warly, Webber, Wig, RoG) was released free in DST, people wont buy the RoG dlc just like you didnt buy RoG.

sure, your desire to play singleplayer DLC content may be justified, but it will take too long to balance, implement and such, and it so doesnt fit env. design.

As aforementioned by @Sunset Skye Capy bailed after sometime on SW's development therefore not making it much of a reason.

The OP asked why these character packs have not been released. The answer is that they are suited for singleplayer alongside the content they belong.

On minecraft packs that add dragons, guns, etc. you must be talking about mods and not official content packs released by Mojang/Microsoft/Whoever it is in charge.

41 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

how do you justify it?

i love sw boats but they have done a great job with the dst boats, its so immersive. They can still add a snake or hamlet scorpions like mob to the trees (i miss that in dst) or another but adapted stuff from the dlcs but not literally. I would like that they reskin more mobs with other loots just for have more fauna in a easy way

Okay like for example there’s DST, and then there’s DS Shipwrecked.

You can’t use DST’s multi-person boat outside of DST, and you can’t use SW single person boats outside of Shipwrecked.

If you own the DLC pack what will happen is Shipwrecked Biome gen will be added to your game customization prior to hosting a world- it’s NOT DST with Shipwrecked content thrown in the middle of Return of Them.. it’s Shipwrecked with Multiplayer with nothing at all to do with the current Return of Them related update stuff.

Its like take Ark Survival Evolved as an example: There’s the base game world the island... a somewhat peaceful tropical set of islands.. with very little actual threat outside of a few wild dinosaurs.

and then there’s the DLC Scorched Earth: Which takes you from an Island.. and puts you dead center of a Desert full of sand where the environment itself will attempt to kill you with harsh sandstorms and Extreme overheating.

Theres DST Vanilla, and then there’s DST: Shipwrecked.

But of course.. I could ALWAYS be wrong-

JoeW Himself even said to Canis that adding Walani to DST was a possibility.

Which would also mean that her Single person Surfboard would be brought to DST, which would then mean making DST Boats almost pointless to her.

Now there is a CHANCE that the current boats are just placeholder boats for when Return of Them is Completed.. (why else would JoeW consider Walani when her entire existence counters DST Multi-Person Boats..?)

But there is Also the fact that you can actually somewhat LIVE on a DST Boat, placing literally everything you need to survive on the platform, Campfire for heat & night light.. cooking pot for healthier meals, Ice Fling to avoid boat fires, Tent for sleeping, Fridge to prevent food spoilage..

So in a MASSIVE way Walani Surfboards & Shipwrecked Single Or Two person Boats would be an actual disadvantage for you to use. Because the most your going to get with them is pre-cooked foods already in your inventory and some Boat Lanterns.

But the thing I’m looking at is the mighty JoeW himself commented on Walani’s possible addition into the game, which means they’re obviously already looking at ways of doing that without completely breaking RoT or ripping off the people who paid money to play as Her with Shipwrecked.

Okay like for example there’s DST, and then there’s DS Shipwrecked.

You can’t use DST’s multi-person boat outside of DST, and you can’t use SW single person boats outside of Shipwrecked.

If you own the DLC pack what will happen is Shipwrecked Biome gen will be added to your game customization prior to hosting a world- it’s NOT DST with Shipwrecked content thrown in the middle of Return of Them.. it’s Shipwrecked with Multiplayer with nothing at all to do with the current Return of Them related update stuff.

Its like take Ark Survival Evolved as an example: There’s the base game world the island... a somewhat peaceful tropical set of islands.. with very little actual threat outside of a few wild dinosaurs.

and then there’s the DLC Scorched Earth: Which takes you from an Island.. and puts you dead center of a Desert full of sand where the environment itself will attempt to kill you with harsh sandstorms and Extreme overheating.

Theres DST Vanilla, and then there’s DST: Shipwrecked.

- Your point is clear - you're suggesting adding singleplayer content into DST asd a "world toggle option" with separate server shard to house said singleplayer content without any regard for balance, environmental design and the like, using Ark Survival evolved as an example, which is a more complex game from a bigger studio which does not necessarily equate into DST's environment and mechanincs.

- You still haven't provided any ways as to how to make singleplayer challenges and items balanced for multiplayer.

Imagine this.

You make a megabase and then some troll steps in, surveys the scene and promptly uses a Volcano Staff they stole to destroy everything.

Or, you're in the middle of fighting a Sword Fish or some Stinkrays and the host sinks you with a Boat Cannon. Because you're not the host, you cannot rollback/kick.

JoeW Himself even said to Canis that adding Walani to DST was a possibility.

Which would also mean that her Single person Surfboard would be brought to DST, which would then mean making DST Boats almost pointless to her.

But the thing I’m looking at is the mighty JoeW himself commented on Walani’s possible addition into the game, which means they’re obviously already looking at ways of doing that without completely breaking RoT or ripping off the people who paid money to play as Her with Shipwrecked.

A possibility is not a guarantee. Especially if the possibility may not even be suited for DST content as their surfboards invalidate boat cookies as you stated, therefore invalidating an entire feature work on by the devs.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it SHALL happen. Neither does it mean you have the privilege to clamor irritatingly about it all the time without regard to plenty of considerations I have already mentioned.

So in a MASSIVE way Walani Surfboards & Shipwrecked Single Or Two person Boats would be an actual disadvantage for you to use. Because the most your going to get with them is pre-cooked foods already in your inventory and some Boat Lanterns.

Nope, they have a massive advantage, because SW boats are:

- miles faster

- more durable in some cases

- easier to steer and fix

- cheaper

TL;DR: DLC content cannot be easily added effectively to DST.

19 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

- Your point is clear - you're suggesting adding singleplayer content into DST asd a "world toggle option" with separate server shard to house said singleplayer content without any regard for balance, environmental design and the like, using Ark Survival evolved as an example, which is a more complex game from a bigger studio which does not necessarily equate into DST's environment and mechanincs.

- You still haven't provided any ways as to how to make singleplayer challenges and items balanced for multiplayer.

Imagine this.

You make a megabase and then some troll steps in, surveys the scene and promptly uses a Volcano Staff they stole to destroy everything.

Or, you're in the middle of fighting a Sword Fish or some Stinkrays and the host sinks you with a Boat Cannon. Because you're not the host, you cannot rollback/kick.

Well then, by your admission then, your statements are incorrect.

A possibility is not a guarantee. Especially if the possibility may not even be suited for DST content as their surfboards invalidate boat cookies as you stated, therefore invalidating an entire feature work on by the devs.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it SHALL happen. Neither does it mean you have the priviledge to clamor irritatingly about it all the time without regard to plenty of considerations I have already mentioned.

Nope, they have a massive advantage, because SW boats are:

- miles faster

- more durable

- easier to steer and fix

- cheaper

TL;DR: DLC content cannot be easily added to DST.

And who said every single boat from SW would absolutely HAVE to be ported over?

your thinking End game content with fastest SW boat in the entire damn game.. I’m thinking Slower start out boats that still require paddles to row or need a sail crafted to move a bit faster.

But Yeah we can compare that too I guess..? Since Malbatross Sail makes current boats a tad bit better.

Return of Them is still an Incomplete product and just like the above mentioned Malbatross Sail- They probably have plans for further boat upgrades that improves your painfully slow Boat Cookie in significant ways.

And If they didn’t- Malbatross Sail upgrade wouldn’t even exist.

TL:DR- Walani’s Surfboard wasn’t superior to a top grade Boat.. and that’s the way she should remain.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You said it so yourself, claiming they would be a disadvantage.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

your thinking End game content with fastest SW boat in the entire damn game.. I’m thinking Slower start out boats that still require paddles to row or need a sail crafted to move a bit faster.

But Yeah we can compare that too I guess..? Since Malbatross Sail makes current boats a tad bit better.

Return of Them is still an Incomplete product and just like the above mentioned Malbatross Sail- They probably have plans for further boat upgrades that improves your painfully slow Boat Cookie in significant ways.

And If they didn’t- Malbatross Sail upgrade wouldn’t even exist.

TL:DR- Walani’s Surfboard wasn’t superior to a top grade Boat.. and that’s the way she should remain.

Walani's surfboard is clearly superior to and still invalidates the entire Boat kit because:

- it only costs 1 board and probably some other components

- Making a boat kit costs 8 boards (inclusive of Think tank) by the least and that isn't counting the anchor, sails, oars, etc. while Surfboard is available straight from the start of the game

- Walani's surfboard is miles faster and is easier to steer compared to the Boat kit.

Said singleplayer rowboats still invalidate the entire Boat kit because:

- they only cost 4 boards compared to the Boat kits' 8

- Sails will cost less being made of lesser materials than wood, rope and silk

- they will be infinitely easier to steer than boat kits, invalidating the challenge and point of Sea Stacks.

- they will infinitely be faster and more agile than Boat kits with three sails on with just one Thatch sail.

- You can also pile Walking cane and Magil boosts onto said boats.

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

You said it so yourself, claiming they would be a disadvantage.

Walani's surfboard is clearly superior to and still invalidates the entire Boat kit because:

- it only costs 1 board and probably some other components

- Making a boat kit costs 8 boards (inclusive of Think tank) by the least and that isn't counting the anchor, sails, oars, etc. while Surfboard is available straight from the start of the game

- Walani's surfboard is miles faster and is easier to steer compared to the Boat kit.

Said singleplayer rowboats still invalidate the entire Boat kit because:

- they only cost 4 boards compared to the Boat kits' 8

- Sails will cost less being made of lesser materials than wood, rope and silk

- they will be infinitely easier to steer than boat kits, invalidating the challenge and point of Sea Stacks.

- they will infinitely be faster and more agile than Boat kits with three sails on with just one Thatch sail.

- You can also pile Walking cane and Magil boosts onto said boats.

Man there really is no arguing with you is there? you seem pretty confident that Shipwrecked Content & more Importantly Walani & Her Surfboards should absolutely NEVER become compatible with DST.

When JoeW Already stated that there’s a “possibility” of her being brought into the game.

Now from YOURS or MY perspective we are thinking only of Walani being added to DST in its current state of play as it is now, or how we can imagine it being..

MEANWHILE This is JoeW’s Perspective on it.

3272313B-4733-4556-8FAF-95E3A62D20E6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Man there really is no arguing with you is there? you seem pretty confident that Shipwrecked Content & more Importantly Walani & Her Surfboards should absolutely NEVER become compatible with DST.

When JoeW Already stated that there’s a “possibility” of her being brought into the game.

Now from YOURS or MY perspective we are thinking only of Walani being added to DST in its current state of play as it is now, or how we can imagine it being..

MEANWHILE This is JoeW’s Perspective on it.

3272313B-4733-4556-8FAF-95E3A62D20E6.jpeg

I am confident DLC content will not be added because I base my thinking on practical reasons such as:

- Time and resource constraints. Klei is not a big game company with enough time and resources to spend porting over all the DLc content.

- Environmental design. DLC content doesn't fit DST

- Balancing. - Plenty of aforementioned DLC content is broken and will undeniably be a risk for griefing.

- Sales. As aforementioned, directly adding the content of DST will kill sales much like adding DST content 

Again i shall state - possibilities are NOT guarantees. Especially if the possibilities in question may be bad in execution.

You state one part of JoeW's statements saying that suggestions are based on how the game is now, while blatantly ignoring his counterargument in the bottom regarding suggestions. To rephrase his statement, can you imagine how much of a mess it would make if the devs immediately reacted to every suggestion posed by community like the ones you pose?

(Next time, please don't pick out just the parts of the explanation which fit your argument while disregarding the rest of the statement.)

I'm just gonna throw out there that JoeW said Walani was a possibility, but it wouldn't be soon as Klei doesn't want to be seen as giving the player base something they already have (or however exactly he said it). I'd personally translate this as a Walani port wouldn't be groundbreaking or fit particularly well. Not to say she wouldn't work in DST, but they can do better sooner with character additions and reworks. Walani would need to be an addition AND a rework at the same time to keep from being simply fluff/expanding the roster for the sake of expanding the roster. With it being DST we are talking about, there are longer tenured characters that should get attention first.

You could argue Warly being added, but Warly has far more to offer than a simple gimmick and filled a role that was unfilled before his arrival.

On other SW content being added, meh. It sounds awesome on paper, but at this point most of it is redundant. Also, as a console player, my max map sizes can't reach the same size as PC due to system limits, and a portion of the PC playerbase doesn't run caves due to system limitations. The addition of too much SW will only exacerbate this. Thats on top of separate weather systems which could also be a strain on systems (I would imagine, I don't know for sure).

Wasn't this thread about singleplayer characters? Can we not have a thread about that without it getting derailed into a debate about whether Shipwrecked biomes should be added and how they would work?? (And apparently only Shipwrecked, not Hamlet, although the same logic would apply to Hamlet.)

26 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

Wasn't this thread about singleplayer characters? Can we not have a thread about that without it getting derailed into a debate about whether Shipwrecked biomes should be added and how they would work?? (And apparently only Shipwrecked, not Hamlet, although the same logic would apply to Hamlet.)

Duly noted.

Currently as it stands, while I personally am undecided regarding the addition of characters, a majority of the community seems to desire them included for various reasons as seen here.

Personally, I think that while said characters would be great additions, I would prefer new characters more suited to multiplayer especially since Klei has to deliver regarding their promises on creation of said characters (which they have with Wurt at least.)

43 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

Yeah..right!, can't klei just port the char only and leave the rest of the DLC behind, there is a mod out there did that (add all the char from SW and H), so it's not that hard i think.

P/s: i want the char being added by klei so i can play that char on random server instead of hosting a server to play.

On 03.03.2020 at 10:56 AM, Canis said:

A core factor of why Klei hasn't ported over SW content is because SW was created by a different studio. I don't know the details, but that's the jist.

It's mainly because Tropical islands do not Suit DST. It has different climate. It wont make sense to have winter on tropics. Or floods and strongwinds in medium climate zone. 

15 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

You can’t talk about why Single Player characters aren’t in DST and NOT also have to end up talking about why DST doesn’t have DLC compatibility.

I don’t talk about Hamlet because IT DOES NOT EXIST Outside of PC, Period.. That will change someday hopefully.. but for now, I obviously can’t talk about something I haven’t played.

Having Said that- Both SW & Hamlet SHOULD be compatible with DST. 

Now to keep this on topic of why the Single Player characters aren’t in DST, they are from PAID DLC Expansion packs.. and unless Klei suddenly wants to add them all into the game for free, like they did with Warly but they did not do with Wormwood.. Then the largest reason they are NOT in the game is because of a few things.

1- Most of you seem to want brand new characters instead of giving the ones who already have a fanbase of people who actually want to play as them the joy of being able to play as them.

(this could possibly be due to existing Mods that let you play as them so therefore you prefer completely brand new ones so you get the best of both worlds) But I can’t say that for certain..

2- People paid Extra MONEY to play as Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wormwood, Wilba, & Wheeler so for them to all be added to DST for FREE would make those of us who paid $$ for expansions feel slightly shafted.

3- According to some of you guys they would all need massive Multiplayer rebalancing and retooling therefore would end up being far too much trouble then they are actually worth.

———————————————

What I CAN say for absolute certain is that the World Of Hamlet and Shipwrecked are BOTH connected to the world of DST- If it wasn’t, Warly wouldn’t have crashed a ship into DST, and Wormwood wouldn’t have been born in a forest in Hamlet yet somehow wandered himself into DST.

So the Theory that they wouldn’t fit DST’s Climate just doesn’t fit.. they got there SOMEHOW didn’t they?

The Biggest Reason People DONT Want DLC compatibility- Both for the Playable Characters and the DLC Biomes is because I guess they feel like it would take too much development time away from Klei creating completely brand new things.

Meanwhile- I just want to be able to play with the content I already paid money for.. be that Walani or Shipwrecked Poisonous Snakes & Spiders, without having to play Single Player Don’t Starve & potentially miss out on any exclusive limited time DST Curio unlocks or neglecting playing with a friend or two in the Process.

Archived