Why are these characters from solo DS missing in DST

57 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Spoiler

Well.. because I got bored I went searching areas of the forum that I normally have never Trafficked into- Hamlet... because That Particular DLC is only available on PC and until it comes to Console I really had no need to GO to that area of the forum.

However.. while there- I did find this Official Dev Post, but this post is from May of 2019 so... I have no idea how accurate it still stands.

The thing that strikes me as most odd about this is that it says: Old faces being Re-Made as well as altogether new ones showing up. 

I am going to guess that this is in regards to the Character Refreshes & 4 DST Exclusive DLC Characters.

But below that- It states in the Patch Notes that Wagstaff was added to all versions. Not just exclusively to Hamlet. While this Does not directly mention DST, it seems odd that they would say All versions and not just Vanilla DS+Hamlet.

This post was made in MAY of 2019 so it is outdated by now. 

But I will provide a link to the full post so you can check that out yourself.

C46F109B-ACAB-4AB2-9390-A3C7719847D7.png

On 14. 5. 2019 at 6:55 PM, Jason said:

As a special thank you to all of the Don’t Starve players and fans, Wagstaff has been made available to everyone who has the base game and is not exclusive to the Hamlet DLC.

Base game.

As in Singleplayer-non-DLC-not-DST

Please read what you link.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:21 PM, Mike23Ua said:

But... I’m no game designer & can not speak on or on behalf of Klei Entertainment.. all I know is I bought some cool Content & I’m limited to playing it in Single Player DS if I want to play that Content & it takes away time I could be playing DST unlocking new Curios.

I actually MISSED the limited time DST events Gorge & WintersFeast 2018 etc.. because instead of playing DST I was playing Shipwrecked.

So to suddenly have Compatibility with that expansion would be a god-send gift from Klei for Me...

Then I can enjoy the content I actually paid for... without missing out on any further Limited time DST cosmetics.

They have said in the past that they don't want a new dlc world for DST. That would cut the player base. Players would think "Do I play the dlc or the base world?" Adding the lunar island helped with that. New zones in the SAME world. Also Don't Starve is one game and Don't Starve Together is another. Yes it is a sequel so they share lore and characters but are separate game. I hear there made with different game engines too. 

Also lets remember that all editions of Don't Starve original includes in no order:

• Wii U
  • Switch
  • PC/MAC/Linux-steam
  • Xbox 1
  • ps3
  • ps4
  • ps Vita
  • android
  • ios

We know from lack of dlc that not all editions get updates any more. That will be the old consoles. Plus lets remember (link below) is a thing. The ports of this pc game are not perfect but for a cheep price I get a full game as it stands. I myself got the whole Don't Starve Pocket Edition for $.99 in December on android in a sale.

2 hours ago, Rma209 said:

They have said in the past that they don't want a new dlc world for DST. That would cut the player base. Players would think "Do I play the dlc or the base world?" Adding the lunar island helped with that. New zones in the SAME world. Also Don't Starve is one game and Don't Starve Together is another. Yes it is a sequel so they share lore and characters but are separate game. I hear there made with different game engines too. 

Also lets remember that all editions of Don't Starve original includes in no order:

• Wii U
  • Switch
  • PC/MAC/Linux-steam
  • Xbox 1
  • ps3
  • ps4
  • ps Vita
  • android
  • ios

We know from lack of dlc that not all editions get updates any more. That will be the old consoles. Plus lets remember (link below) is a thing. The ports of this pc game are not perfect but for a cheep price I get a full game as it stands. I myself got the whole Don't Starve Pocket Edition for $.99 in December on android in a sale.

I bought them both at full price on the day they came out but I always play mobile SW as Wendy or Walani and did not notice that Wigfrid isn’t in the mobile game. I don’t mind though.. because I’ll just play Walani or the actual console game should i feel the need to play as Wig.

My Suggestion for DLC compatibility, or well I should say DLC Merging Rather.. is based ENTIRELY off of how you can not and never have been able to buy Don’t Starve Single Player on Xbox Without it also including the Reign Of Giants Expansion as a core part of the game.

And really.. Who here out of all of us can say that isn’t Klei’s intentions all along with the future of DST throughout 2020/2021? Only Klei Dev’s themselves can possibly have that answer.

Some people talk about how including RoG content into the base game killed the sales of the Reign Of Giants DLC, and I can say as a console player that simply isn’t true at all because we had to pay the additional cost to cover that DLC, so technically.. they didn’t kill sales, they just merged it into one package.

Now over on Xbox you can now buy something called the Don’t Starve: Mega Pack. Which for about 26$ Includes DS: Giant Edition, DS: Together, AND DS: Shipwrecked all in one large game bundle.

I don’t know how many of you play the other games that I reference but when Ark Survival Evolved first launched back in the game preview program it was a 30$ game, and as they piled more and more free content and world expansions into the game.. when it was finally completed and the game was taken out of preview the price was raised from 30$ to a staggering 80$ But- Having been part of the preview build they released several map locations and many many new Dino’s into the game free maps that we had received such as The Center, Ragnarok, Valgureo, Etc.. has now been included as part of the Base game purchase price, even after the game LEFT its game Preview build- Still to this very day they’re adding more and more to it. Most of that Free content is MODS created by people outside of their own Dev team like the upcoming Crystal Isles Map.

Okay so your probably now asking but what exactly does Ark have to with DST? Well Keep in mind that on Xbox- We can not buy JUST Vanilla Don’t Starve, Reign Of Giants is now permanently & forever a part of ANY version of the game we buy.

Im defiantly not saying that Klei WILL EVER do This.. but with the Existence of the DS: Mega Pack (and it also including Shipwrecked Content) They COULD very easily choose to discontinue the older versions of the game and from this point forward- Only DS Mega can be purchased.

What does this do in terms of Shipwrecked Content? Just like with Reign Of Giants this content will now permanently & forever be a core part of the base game. Instead of paying additional money to play as Wigfrid or Webber they are now a default part of DS/DST. & I could reasonably see This as possibly having been Klei’s plans all along with Warly, Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs & Wagstaff.

For the people who have yet to buy the SW expansion consider it a free upgrade, but for the people who HAVE bought the expansion.. Consider it as falling into the same category as RoG content. And for the people who have yet to buy the game at all- They’ll be paying the DLC cost as part of simply buying the game.

I can not say that this will be the case with Hamlet dlc Characters Wheeler & Wilba because that DLC Expansion is not included in the DS Mega Pack (Or is it and.. it’s simply unreleased yet?)

————————————

The TL:DR- Even though some people paid money for the Reign Of Giants DLC, Klei later choose to sale the game with RoG content included as part of the base game with price adjustments to accommodate. Who can really say that’s not been their intention with DST & Shipwrecked?

————————————

As far as HOW it would work, I could never possibly know that information, only Klei Dev’s know how to Merge their content add ons, but I could picture getting on a boat and sailing out to Sea and just like with Shipwrecked going through some very foggy waters to simulate perhaps miles upon miles upon many miles of ocean travel before arriving within the different area?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

My Suggestion for DLC compatibility, or well I should say DLC Merging Rather.. is based ENTIRELY off of how you can not and never have been able to buy Don’t Starve Single Player on Xbox Without it also including the Reign Of Giants Expansion as a core part of the game.

And really.. Who here out of all of us can say that isn’t Klei’s intentions all along with the future of DST throughout 2020/2021? Only Klei Dev’s themselves can possibly have that answer.

Some people talk about how including RoG content into the base game killed the sales of the Reign Of Giants DLC, and I can say as a console player that simply isn’t true at all because we had to pay the additional cost to cover that DLC, so technically.. they didn’t kill sales, they just merged it into one package.

Now over on Xbox you can now buy something called the Don’t Starve: Mega Pack. Which for about 26$ Includes DS: Giant Edition, DS: Together, AND DS: Shipwrecked all in one large game bundle.

As I said before they don't want dlc worlds That is not what they have ben looking for. There welcome to change there minds as time go's on. Now you bring up the RoG dlc so I want to give you a few numbers. All prices in usd with out tax fyi.

Xbox 1:

• Don't Starve: Giant Edition - $14.99

• Don't Starve: Giant Edition + Shipwrecked Expansion-$18.99

• Don't Starve Mega Pack-$26.99

PlayStation 4:

• Don't Starve: Console Edition + Reign of Giants Expansion- $18.99

• Don't Starve: Console Edition- $14.99

• Reign of Giants Console Edition- $4.99

• Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Console Edition $4.99

• Don't Starve Mega Pack- $26.99

Steam

• Don't Starve: Reign of Giants- $4.99
  • Don't Starve- $9.99
  • DON'T STARVE MEGA PACK 2019- not good to compare 1 to 1

FYI I don't see a RoG+SW only bundle on steam like the other stores have.

On a ps4 it would be about $18.99 to get the game with the RoG and $23.99 for all of it that out for console. At that point we are better off with the few extra bucks and geting the Mega Pack designed to save us $. Thank you Klei. On an Xbox 1 $18.99 for "Don't Starve: Giant Edition + Shipwrecked Expansion ." That's an amazing deal. or the mega pack as you say. It costs less on Xbox based on this info for the original. I don't think based on this info they are billing any extra to any one platform for content. If you don't want to PLAY RoG (separate issue) then turn it off at the start of a new file.

1 hour ago, Rma209 said:

As I said before they don't want dlc worlds That is not what they have ben looking for. There welcome to change there minds as time go's on. Now you bring up the RoG dlc so I want to give you a few numbers. All prices in usd with out tax fyi.

Xbox 1:

• Don't Starve: Giant Edition - $14.99

• Don't Starve: Giant Edition + Shipwrecked Expansion-$18.99

• Don't Starve Mega Pack-$26.99

PlayStation 4:

• Don't Starve: Console Edition + Reign of Giants Expansion- $18.99

• Don't Starve: Console Edition- $14.99

• Reign of Giants Console Edition- $4.99

• Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Console Edition $4.99

• Don't Starve Mega Pack- $26.99

Steam

• Don't Starve: Reign of Giants- $4.99
  • Don't Starve- $9.99
  • DON'T STARVE MEGA PACK 2019- not good to compare 1 to 1

On a ps4 it would be about $18.99 to get the game with the RoG and $23.99 for all of it that out for console. At that point we are better off with the few extra bucks and geting the Mega Pack designed to save us $. Thank you Klei. On an Xbox 1 $18.99 for "Don't Starve: Giant Edition + Shipwrecked Expansion ." That's an amazing deal. or the mega pack as you say. It costs less on Xbox based on this info for the original. I don't think based on this info they are billing any extra to any one platform for content. If you don't want to PLAY RoG (separate issue) then turn it off at the start of a new file.

I know the numbers, but that’s not my point- my point is that Reign Of Giants on the Xbox One is a default part of every single last version of the game that we can choose to buy.

And at that exact same time- Shipwrecked is a default part of the DS Mega Pack, And is included in every single version of Mega that players buy.

its not about me wanting to turn the RoG content on or off.. It’s about RoG content now being a core part of the game we are sold.

You say that Shipwrecked would have to remain to be its own completely separate DLC, and that’s not been the case with RoG compatibility or any of these Return of Them Content updates.. Why would SW be any different like.. at all????

Just throw a couple SW Islands out far away in the ocean somewhere that simulates a long boating adventure & just like with RoG content that stuff now becomes a default part of the game.

To Clarify- Solo DS and Solo DS: SW is it’s OWN Thing, But now that the Shipwrecked content is permanently part of any version of the game that you can buy (should Klei choose to make that decision) Then Shipwrecked Biomes & content can appear within DST from that point forward with no issue.

All the Playable Characters, all the enemy mobs, all the unique Biome locations.

its not just “hey lets throw the entirety of Solo Shipwrecked directly into DST!” It’s more of.... Now that SW is a core part of any version of the game you buy from this point forward- Klei can add any type of SW related content anywhere they feel the desire in doing such without any concerns whatsoever as to who owns and who does not own DLC add-Ons.

Its NOT a DLC Expansion, it’s Lunar Island.. but instead of Lunar Biomes, it’s Shipwrecked Content. There’s no additional server shards, there’s no extra DLC to need to own.. you simply build a boat and sail out to this area and bang there it is.

You no longer buy the DLC separately because it’s now a core part of the game you bought just like RoG content has been since Day 1 for all Xbox One players.

God HECK No Full 100% Shipwrecked DLC compatibility would be a complete and total NIGHTMARE to Balance for Multiplayer.. 

But Don’t Starve Together Already has Single Player DS Reign Of Giants Content... BUT!!!!! It does not have ALL of DS Single Player’s RoG content (If it did we would have telepartatos & story chapters) Klei smartly picked and choose what went well into DST & what did not, and they went with it from there, but by including Reign Of Giants as part of the base game...  they were able to add that content into DST without any concerns as to who bought the DLC and who did not.

The same can very easily be said for any Shipwrecked related content that they wanted to add to DST If they choose to now make SW a core part of the content you own when purchasing the game... Then Klei can pick and choose what to add to DST from Shipwrecked and what to smartly opt to leave out, all without worrying about DLC servers or paid content walls.

TL:DR- Its not and never has been Shipwrecked in its entirety, it’s Compatibility with SW Content that can now be added to DST without there being a Paid DLC wall in between, Identical in every single way to how Reign Of Giants is now permanently & forever part of DST & should the player choose NOT to use it I’m pretty sure there will be gameplay Toggle features to turn off Shipwrecked content the same way you can toggle off (Portions but not ALL of) the RoG. 

As far as how exactly it would work in DST, I don’t know.. only Klei and possibly a handful of non-Klei Mod creators could know that information.

Sorry If this seems Semi off-Topic Of why DLC Characters are not in DST.. but you can not have a thread and ask the community why DLC characters aren’t in DST without that community also discussing the DLCs that those characters come from itself.. And to be Fair- I didn’t just come in here yelling “I Bought Shipwrecked Give me Shipwrecked!!! I don’t care how broke it would be give it to me now!!!”

Instead I sit here for quite a good amount of time to type out a fairly long throughly thought out post that compares Shipwrecked DLC to ROG DLC giving a detailed example of how it could be brought into the game- and now I must ask... If used in a limited Degree exactly as how RoG is set up... then Why wouldn’t it Work?

Why couldn’t Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff be added into DST Without completely breaking the game? 

it worked for Wigfrid, Webber and their respective Reign Of Giants Add-On.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why couldn’t Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff be added into DST Without completely breaking the game? 

it worked for Wigfrid, Webber and their respective Reign Of Giants Add-On.

Those characters are different.

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

But Don’t Starve Together Already has Single Player DS Reign Of Giants Content... BUT!!!!! It does not have ALL of DS Single Player’s RoG content (If it did we would have telepartatos & story chapters) Klei smartly picked and choose what went well into DST & what did not, and they went with it from there, but by including Reign Of Giants as part of the base game...  they were able to add that content into DST without any concerns as to who bought the DLC and who did not.

The same can very easily be said for any Shipwrecked related content that they wanted to add to DST If they choose to now make SW a core part of the content you own when purchasing the game... Then Klei can pick and choose what to add to DST from Shipwrecked and what to smartly opt to leave out, all without worrying about DLC servers or paid content walls.

As there separate games that share a series I think its ok to share ideas. The how of using those ideas in the second game (together) is the big question. I think all ideas are on the table to come over if they want them. We got Asparagus soup from Hamlet and kelp and Warly from SW. i just don't think calling it dlc is the right idea. New content out in packs or waves through free updates are nice.

20 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Those characters are different.

Explain further? And while you are explaining further please do keep in mind that neither Wigfrid NOR Webber have been Refreshed to be any more or any less OP then they are now.

Also Klei said they only intended to refresh the original DS Cast, that was THEIR Official words on that subject- Wigfrid and Webber were from the Reign Of Giants DLC so will they even see a Character Refresh at all???

Then there’s Warly.. Warly was considered as a Free Refresh and he’s defiantly not a part of DS’s Original Cast... So at this point will ALL characters be refreshed aside from Wurt, Wortox & Wormwood.. Or was Warly the only exception to the “Were going to Refresh the original cast” Statement?

Going by PC or according to the post above PS4 Standards- Wigfrid & Webber were paid DLC and Therefore NOT part of the original game cast.

But going by Xbox One standards- Wigfrid and Webber have always been part of the game ever since the day it came out... so do they or do they NOT count as part of the Refresh?

Then Theres Warly.. the Contradiction. 

Archived