Required industry and building to get to space

Hey

been playing around a bit with ONI. Fun. 
jyst wondering if there is a guide or basic tree with the required industry/buildings required to get to space? I seem to waste a bit of time making my dupes super happy but think I want to target it a bit better. 

cheers

rp

Loosely:

Steel - lots and lots. 

Lime - needed for steel. I prefer ranching stone hatches and pacu. Hatches give food, coal (turn into refined carbon, needed for steel) and egg shells. Pacu give food and shells. Pokeshells are also good for lime. 

Telescope - gotta scan the planetoids to know what your rocket is heading towards. 

Fuel - basic rocket needs steam, then petroleum. 

Astronaut - start training someone to this before you actually want to fire off the rocket so you don't have to wait 10's of cycles with a useless rocket built. 

Before breaking into space you should be able to build bunker tiles, which require proper tech and steel.
Steel requires requires a smelter and lime as well as refined iron.
Lime requires to process eggshells, pokeshell molts or fossils found in the oil biome. This requires a rock crusher which is early tech.
Reaching oil bime safely requires atmo suits which are needed for space as well, that requries proper tech, refined metal and fiber.
To get fiber you need to farm thimble reed or ranch dreckos. The latter requires proper tech and a dupe with ranching skill.
To do anything useful in space you need a space scanner to close the bunker doors before meteor storms.

After that you can explore the space biome safely. Next tech is solar panels and glass required to build them so a glass forge.
And obviously a telescope and rockets which are basically the final tech stuff in the tech tree.
You need a highest level scientist to operate the telescope and an astronaut to pilot the rocket.

One more thing - your petrolum rockets will require oxygen to run. However, it cannot be in gas form. Liquid oxygen would be best, but this require end-game tech and resources (like supercoolant). You can also use oxilite despite it is less efficient. You can gather it from oxygen pufts or fabricate in oxilite refinery.

If you want to put anything else than research module on your steam rocket it will also require oxilite. And iron.

5 hours ago, pether said:

Liquid oxygen would be best, but this require end-game tech and resources (like supercoolant).

That's not quite true...  You can make LOX just fine with hydrogen. It's not just as efficient/quick than making it with supercoolant.

But yeah... since you can find some fullerene even with just the steam engine, I usually don't invest time in making LOX with anything but supercoolant.

Hey, thanks, all for the very prompt replies  seems simple. I just get lost mucking about try8ng to keep dupes happy and everything cool. Maybe I should focus a bit more.

so, steel and the required tech and material to get steel

oil for cooling and extra power production, I guess. Maybe petroleum

space scanner and the required tech.

I’ll do some more reading of the wiki

Mehbark, that wasn’t condescending. :) I never take offence in forums. 

cheers!

I only recently hit space for the first time, and was irritated to learn that conventional wisdom for conquering the space biome is to use some 25 tons of steel to just barricade off the sky as high as you can. I do wish there was a more graceful solution to space, but apparently that's the go-to method.

2 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

I only recently hit space for the first time, and was irritated to learn that conventional wisdom for conquering the space biome is to use some 25 tons of steel to just barricade off the sky as high as you can. I do wish there was a more graceful solution to space, but apparently that's the go-to method.

Well, you need to be more graceful than that if you want to get some solar power...  And still... How else did you want to defend?  With laser turrets?

3 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

conquering the space biome is to use some 25 tons of steel to just barricade off the sky as high as you can. 

Someone did say steel and lots of it! :)Sounds like I’ll ramp up production. 

47 minutes ago, Mastermindx said:

Well, you need to be more graceful than that if you want to get some solar power...  And still... How else did you want to defend?  With laser turrets?

Wait, what?!? I didn’t see laser turrets in the wish list or roadmap. :D

If i may offer a tip: meteorites will not destroy the naturally occurring regolith layer on the macro scale. At a certain thickness of around 7-8 tiles it will not be eroded but not grow either. This means there is no rush to go cover the entire surface. It can also be used as naturally occurring cover so you can save your steel on areas where you dont explicitly need a door.

21 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

In my last game I only bothered with the minimum 4 or 5 bunker doors ( so 2.5 t of steel ) to cover a pair of vertically stacked space scanners and the telescope.  Use a jet suit dock ( covered with a few more bunker tiles ) for dupes to fly out to the rockets and just leave 'em out in the open.

On 22/02/2020 at 10:35 PM, rockpaper said:

Hey

been playing around a bit with ONI. Fun. 
jyst wondering if there is a guide or basic tree with the required industry/buildings required to get to space? I seem to waste a bit of time making my dupes super happy but think I want to target it a bit better. 

cheers

rp

Here's a roadmap :

- Make 32 tons of steel to protect all the surface biome (64 bunkers doors).

- Connect 16 bunkers doors each other with a conductive wire, you can't use a big wire so you can't connect the 64 doors each other. You will obtain 4 sectors of 16 bunkers doors.

- Connect your 64 bunkers doors with the same automation wire, as well you can control all of them with only a space scanner. You will update localy your automation when you will have rockets.

- Make a false ceiling to prevent the fresh regolith to fall on the infrastructure.

- Make some robot miner.

- Make a Space scanner and solar panel to feed the doors.

- From now, you have an automatic management for the meteor rain. You can construct any infrascture under (LOX, research, ranching, etc).

Some good links :

thanks, SamLogan for the roadmap and links, that's helpful.

thanks, psusi, as well, for the links

so many tips, I cannot keep up.

thanks for posting those links. looking at those reference guides takes me back to poring over reference material in D&D...

looking forward to the weekend to get onto this.

Going to space, first make sure the base it self is stable. food and oxygen should manage it self entirely without your input.

after that, build a "steel refinery", a setup that involves a few turbines and refineries which is power positive as long as you refine steel 90% of the time.

now get all the steel you can get, 20t+ will be a good start. Once you got that, start building a roof over the asteroid, build a steam rocket and get the required heat for the steam from your meteor roof. Handy cause it only requires power for the pumps.

That's it basically :)

On 22.2.2020 at 10:35 PM, rockpaper said:

required to get to space?

Ok most of what I read here seems a bit overdimensioned, so here my 2cent:

• Covering the asteroid with bunker tiles or doors is nice, but has nothing to do with a requirement.
  • Most of the time I build my first rocket just after I got ~4t of steel.
  • My first rocket will not start in a silo and the fuel is just generateed by pumping some excess water onto nearby regolith.
  • I mostly jump from steam to hydrogen rockets (supercoolant and other advanced materials are not necessary for this progress.)

(If I want to farm a close planet with my steam rocket beyond grinding research, I build 2 bunker doors above my rocket and a row of bunker tiles below. I only do this so I don´t need to manually dig my rocket free of regolith.)

2 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I mostly jump from steam to hydrogen rockets (supercoolant and other advanced materials are not necessary for this progress.)

How do you do all of the research with just a steam rocket?  It can only make it to the first one or two planets, which gets you just enough research points to get into petroleum rockets.

And yea, you can liquidfy hydrogen and oxygen without supercoolant, but man is it a pain.  It's far easier to just use petrol and oxylite until you get some supercoolant and then start making LOX.  And even then there's no real reason to switch to hydrogen until you want to hit the farther planets ( which really, there's no reason for ).  And unless you have a couple of hydrogen vents on the map, gathering enough of it can be a challenge.  Much easier to stick with petrol.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

How do you do all of the research with just a steam rocket?  It can only make it to the first one or two planets, which gets you just enough research points to get into petroleum rockets.

I look at my space adventures in an other way:

I travel into outer space to bring back "new/advanced" building materials, so my goal is to farm these resources.

=> Most of the time I will send my steam rocket just x times to the closest planet

(Some automation to launch the rocket and the research will accumulate faster than needed^^)

5 minutes ago, psusi said:

And yea, you can liquidfy hydrogen and oxygen without supercoolant, but man is it a pain.  It's far easier to just use petrol and oxylite until you get some supercoolant and then start making LOX. 

I prefer to build everthing with a "setup and forget" - mindset, so I hate/dislike builds I know I will need to alter later on.

=> And setting up some liquifiers isn´t that hard to do after you have done it a few times^^

8 minutes ago, psusi said:

And even then there's no real reason to switch to hydrogen until you want to hit the farther planets ( which really, there's no reason for ).  And unless you have a couple of hydrogen vents on the map, gathering enough of it can be a challenge.  Much easier to stick with petrol.

I only build what I "need":

1. I need to build a steam rocket and maybe I keep this rocket flying 24/7 for the rest of my playtime.
  2. Everything else is upt for debate ....

=> I like to skip petroleum rockets and solid oxidizer just for fun ;)

PS: I don´t rely on hydrogen vents (mostly cause of their "low" output), so most of my hydrogen is coming a longer chain starting with oil reservoirs.

15 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

=> Most of the time I will send my steam rocket just x times to the closest planet

Dang... wasn't it like 125 research the first time, then only 25 each additional time?  So you need to send that steam rocket to the first planet 5 times instead of just building a petrol rocket to go further.  I guess it's only 3 cycles per trip though so I guess that would only take 15 cycles... plus probably another 5 cycles of fueling time so 20 cycles to get the same research you could from building a petrol rocket and sending it to the next ring in only 6 cycles, plus however long it takes you to build the rocket.  Hrm...

20 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

PS: I don´t rely on hydrogen vents (mostly cause of their "low" output), so most of my hydrogen is coming a longer chain starting with oil reservoirs.

You mean you're doing the whole sour gas boiler thing and running tons of NG gens to produce more water to then feed to a few dozen electrolyzers?  Man that seems like a lot of work.  I just finished getting to the temporal tear just using a little petrol from a regular refinery to power two petrol rockets before I had to switch to hydrogen for the range using up the spare hydrogen collected from my two hydrogen vents and whatever I got from the coolrod spoms that didn't get burned for power.

Maybe I'll have to try a new world with more dupes and some of these crazy huge projects just for a fun challenge.

20 minutes ago, psusi said:

Dang... wasn't it like 125 research the first time, then only 25 each additional time?  So you need to send that steam rocket to the first planet 5 times instead of just building a petrol rocket to go further.  I guess it's only 3 cycles per trip though so I guess that would only take 15 cycles... plus probably another 5 cycles of fueling time so 20 cycles to get the same research you could from building a petrol rocket and sending it to the next ring in only 6 cycles, plus however long it takes you to build the rocket.  Hrm...

You need to take my point of view:

When I venture into outer space, my oxygen and food production is secured. (At least for a full real life day on max speed ...)

=> The time I count or use to distinguish if something is worth the effort is the time I actively construct or supervise something.

[My base will still be running if I leave for a few hours,  so even if I just let my steam rocket alone for a few hours I will never have a bottleneck on databanks again^^.]

Keep in mind I farm a close planet not for databanks, but for resources to advance my base.

(Flying "cargo-less" rockets just to advance to better rockets, will still result in you farming a close planet for space materials. So I automate my first rocket just after installing a cargo bay.)

20 minutes ago, psusi said:
13 minutes ago, psusi said:
44 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

You mean you're doing the whole sour gas boiler thing and running tons of NG gens to produce more water to then feed to a few dozen electrolyzers?  Man that seems like a lot of work.  I just finished getting to the temporal tear just using a little petrol from a regular refinery to power two petrol rockets before I had to switch to hydrogen for the range using up the spare hydrogen collected from my two hydrogen vents and whatever I got from the coolrod spoms that didn't get burned for power.

Maybe I'll have to try a new world with more dupes and some of these crazy huge projects just for a fun challenge.

I buid the hydrogen generators of my oxygen production most of the time as a part of my centralized powergrid, so if I want to start my first hydrogen rocket it´s just about generating more power.

[PS: I don´t like to go the full sour gas boiler route, it´s tedious and you done it once^^]

On 2/22/2020 at 11:52 PM, rockpaper said:

I just get lost mucking about try8ng to keep dupes happy and everything cool. Maybe I should focus a bit more.

This.  I've hundreds of hours in this game and I always think I'm going to space this round! And then I do this, and fix that, and redo that, and oh look let's try a steam engine cooler etc. annnnnnnnd it never happens.....

Archived