Walani, and why she's perfect for Return of Them

I Expect Woodlegs to come out when they add treasures that can be hunted & dug up and more structures that can be placed on a Boat such as 1- BOAT CANNONS & 2- A Look out perch that people can sit in like all pirate ships have. 3- When a Jolly Rogers Pirate Flag Skin is added for the Mast.

(and when Klei finally gives in and gives me that Pirate Themed Cosmetics and Skin Set this year for National Pirates Day)

Now that that is out of the way.. and since this thread is NOT about Woodlegs (Sorry @Canis I did not mean to go on a off-Topic ramble there..) We are only here to discuss Specifically WALANI.

I like the Idea Of Beach Towels, this allows Walani’s Faster Drying perk to also be refocused for an Entire Team it would be REALLY cool if the Towel she crafted would take on a unique color or pattern texture for  Whomever it was made for Wendy’s towel being pink with little flowers on it, Wigfrids Towel being Brown with Axes, If that’s too much hassle, Everyone gets a White Towel the End.

BUT I Also like the idea that when or If @FuffledBeeQueen‘s Idea Of Elevated Plots Of Land make it into the game that Walani’s Surfboards would be Small enough to fit in between the two plots of land that are separated by a Canyon Large Boats wouldnt fit into.

I Do NOT like the Idea Of Walani’s Surfboard taking up the Hand Slot as @Sunset Skye had previously Suggested though it is an idea & Constructive criticism is needed when it comes to fleshing out Walani, But Walani was always able to use tools on her Surfboard in Shipwrecked, Why suddenly NOT be able to within DST? How would you hold a Torch or Lantern through Nightfall if it replaces the hand slot?

I like the Idea Of it taking up the Backpack slot and only being able to carry so much weight.. 

I do NOT like at ALL the Idea Of Turning Walani into the Designated Water Taxi.. that Would not be fun for Walani or people she is Ferrying around.

People keep asking what are Walani’s Land Perks.. What would she benefit to end game content or to caves? I can ask that Same Question about Wilson or Wes.

the truth is WE DON’T KNOW what her land perks would be.. but that should be entirely up to Klei.

Our purpose was to Demonstrate why Walani would make a good Addition to the game, And I do believe we have provided some fairly solid reasoning.

We do not need a fully fleshed out 100% completed Sea to validate Why Walani should be in the game, we just need to show Klei that we really would enjoy her Inclusion.

TL:DR stop trying to come up with strengths & weaknesses that I’m Pretty certain that Klei already has ideas for, & Instead provide examples of how she’s Any Worse than Wilson or Wes.

Thank You, <3

- Beach towel - Dry off 15 wetness, 10 uses, comes in multiple colours with 2 Hawaiian flowers on it (1 papyrus, 2 flowers)

- Beach Umbrella - works like a Palm leaf hut protecting from wetness and overheating, its stationary it can be dismantled and stored in players inventory (1 umbrella, 6 kelp, 2 rope)

- Walani skin ideas - Volcano skin, Wipeout skin, Pirate skin (base on her quotes), Tree-hugger skin, Time-traveler skin, Tiger-shark skin (for WWE), Slurper skin (for halloween) Wind waker skin?

- RoT content - Klei could split the main island into 2 or even 3 to make sea travel more of a thing, this will make PvP more interesting by either stay on the 1st island with more foes or travel to new islands for more resources

1 minute ago, JJ0264 said:

Tiger-shark skin (for Halloween)

I feel like a Slurper skin would work better, as they're both sleepy and eat a lot. Plus, people have wanted to see a Slurper skin as of late so 2 birds with 1 stone.

3 minutes ago, Canis said:

I feel like a Slurper skin would work better, as they're both sleepy and eat a lot. Plus, people have wanted to see a Slurper skin as of late so 2 birds with 1 stone.

Walani Tiger-shark skin could be for WWE skin then we can have both

I do have a simple solution as to how we can make Walani worth adding to DST.. but it’s a Solution not everyone will be happy about.

Archipelago Style world Generation. For Everyone who for whatever reason did not play the Original DS game, Archipelago was a Chapter in Campaign Mode Where each of the Games “Biomes” Were separated into their own Islands. And getting to them required you to travel there Via Wormholes, Underground cave tunnels Or By Boat (In SW)

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I do have a simple solution as to how we can make Walani worth adding to DST.. but it’s a Solution not everyone will be happy about.

Archipelago Style world Generation. For Everyone who for whatever reason did not play the Original DS game, Archipelago was a Chapter in Campaign Mode Where each of the Games “Biomes” Were separated into their own Islands. And getting to them required you to travel there Via Wormholes, Underground cave tunnels Or By Boat (In SW)

If you’re doing something radical just to get a character added, then maybe that’s a red flag.

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Id like that as an optional, alternate world gen option maybe, but I don't think that's needed in terms of Walani.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But because Walani was always able to use tools on her Surfboard in Shipwrecked, Why should she suddenly NOT be able to within DST?

Because reworks change characters in many ways. Woodie was always able to turn into the Werebeaver from chopping trees in DS, why should he suddenly NOT be able to within DST?

And more importantly.. how would you hold a Torch or Lantern through Nightfall if it replaces the hand slot?

You wouldn't. If you really wanted to surf at night, you'd probably wear a miner hat or moggles, or eat some glowberries (maybe in mousse form). And that being said...

I like the Idea Of it taking up the Backpack slot and only being able to carry so much weight.. because A Surfboard would only realistically hold so much weight in Reality am I right?

...I can't really understand this personally. You'd rather give up 8-14 inventory slots than wear a miner hat for a bit?

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You wouldn't. If you really wanted to surf at night, you'd probably wear a miner hat or moggles, or eat some glowberries (maybe in mousse form). And that being said...

...I can't really understand this personally. You'd rather give up 8-14 inventory slots than wear a miner hat for a bit?

You can't really do that in early game.
(Well, you can, but it requires you to go to caves which is always a gamble of if servers connect you to them in the first place
(I may just have too bad of a PC...)) 

1 minute ago, Canis said:

You can't really do that in early game.
(Well, you can, but it requires you to go to caves which is always a gamble of if servers connect you to them in the first place
(I may just have too bad of a PC...)) 

just drop a lightbulb on your feet like a normal person

Yea I would rather give up a few backpack slots, instead of having to wear a Miners hat.

I would rather give up the HELMET SLOT over Backpack or Handslot. But realistically you wouldn’t be able to take 800 rocks the size of the Palm of your hand with you on A Surfing trip and still Manage to stay above Water.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yea I would rather give up a few backpack slots, instead of having to wear a Miners hat.

I would rather give up the HELMET SLOT over Backpack or Handslot. But realistically you wouldn’t be able to take 800 rocks the size of the Palm of your hand with you on A Surfing trip and still Manage to stay above Water.

While I don't really want to lose the hand slot as that'll forbid Walani from using a torch or pickaxe, this is Don't Starve we're talking about, realism has been out since 2013.

If we are going to take someone to be specialized on sea exploring might as well make it the best at that. Taking her hand or head slot just to surf is a big downside and she is already competing with Woodie, make her at least be able to attack while on water so she can have an edge over him when getting salt or killing Malbatross.

Edit: I'm pretty sure Woodie is the jack of all trades, master of the sea now. Which he shouldn't be, imo.

I can't get behind nerfing Walani's abilities from when she was in Shipwrecked. Let her be able to wear armor and use hand-slot items while she's on her single-person, no-structures-allowed, flimsy-yet-maneuverable surfboard. In Shipwrecked she barely even has any other perks, unless you count being slightly less bothered by wetness, and this was considered underpowered. Especially if she still has an above-average hunger drain and below-average health. It doesn't devalue Woodie if Walani on her surfboard is better than his goose form because he also has a perfectly good beaver and moose form with their own advantages and I doubt whatever buffs she gets in a rework will make her better than him at exploring the sea and resource collection and combat.

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

I can't get behind nerfing Walani's abilities from when she was in Shipwrecked. Let her be able to wear armor and use hand-slot items while she's on her single-person, no-structures-allowed, flimsy-yet-maneuverable surfboard. In Shipwrecked she barely even has any other perks, unless you count being slightly less bothered by wetness, and this was considered underpowered. Especially if she still has an above-average hunger drain and below-average health. It doesn't devalue Woodie if Walani on her surfboard is better than his goose form because he also has a perfectly good beaver and moose form with their own advantages and I doubt whatever buffs she gets in a rework will make her better than him at exploring the sea and resource collection and combat.

the arguement isn’t that she will replace woodie, it seems to be that since Woodie can Scout the Water why do we even Need Walani?

I Want Walani..she’s the first on my list of Characters I want to see added. But to say Woodie is better at scouting Water than Walani or Woodlegs who Specialize in it is just Absurd.

Walani does seem to need some new TEAM Based perks though (every New and Reworked character has something to benefit Team Play..)

Such as Wurt being able to create masks so you don’t get smacked around by Merms.

Or Willow being able to simply put Bernie on the ground and leave it somewhere to draw Nightmare Creature Aggro For players low on Sanity.

Wortox being able to release souls to heal everyone near him..

(You get the Idea.)

The only good suggestions for team perks I’ve seen so far are Surfboards that can be crafted and given to other players, and Beach Towels So Characters Who are NOT Walani can share her faster drying off perk.

But I have good faith that Klei knows how to fix her up. Let’s just sit back and see what happens :) 

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

the arguement isn’t that she will replace woodie, it seems to be that since Woodie can Scout the Water why do we even Need Walani?

read OP

On 2/8/2020 at 11:57 AM, Canis said:

Woodie doesn't *specialize* in the ocean. He is a generalist that has the ability to get to Lunar Island. Walani, on the other hand, WOULD specialize in the ocean, allowing her to reap all of the ocean goodies without the hassle of sailing. Maybe Klei could even make Walani favor a boat base in some way, who knows?

5 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

read OP

You ain’t got to tell me that, lol I am right with Canis I’m wanting Walani added to the game, I was using that as an example of what other people (Who do NOT Want Walani) always come in here and say.

I already know that Goose Woodie can’t pick up items where Walani can, So there’s already that difference between the two of them.

Walani is my second favorite playable DS character (next to Wendy of Course)

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

You ain’t got to tell me that, lol I am right with Canis I’m wanting Walani added to the game, I was using that as an example of what other people (Who do NOT Want Walani) always come in here and say.

I already know that Goose Woodie can’t pick up items where Walani can, So there’s already that difference between the two of them.

Walani is my second favorite playable DS character (next to Wendy of Course)

But why suggest to limit her head and hand slots?

If you so value her, why limit her such that she becomes more or less similar to woodie?

Crippling her perk, what makes her unique, will only make players not want to play her. See pre-rework woodie and willow for reference.

9 minutes ago, Wesbie said:

Hello. So...

Being on top of a board, but having it equipped with your hand, does not prevent you from collecting things, and the transition animation between the water and the coast would be much more fluid / natural.

Walani could start lying face down on the surfboard, and she could only stand when she caught a wave.

Do not tell me that it would not be practical, they are still working in the ocean.

And the other players could only use the surfboard to hit. But it would end quickly because like Pick Fork, it is not for that purpose.

And we wouldn't need the SW sprits.

But why don't you want to put a boat in the water to mine? We barely received new content and you already want to avoid it? (Cookie Cutters).

So, if you want it to be equipped on your hand then to mine or kill things you would need to carry 2 surfboards, one to equip on your hands so you can move on water and another where you put somewhere on the sea to float so you can jump on it to mine and facetank attack things, is this what you're saying?

Just now, Sweaper said:

So, if you want it to be equipped on your hand then to mine or kill things you would need to carry 2 surfboards, one to equip on your hands so you can move on water and another where you put somewhere on the sea to float so you can jump on it to mine and facetank attack things, is this what you're saying?

In the first part I wrote a boat and not a surfboard.

Surfboard ≠ Boat

And it confused you.

I edited the last part, so do you can refresh this page?

Thanks for asking, I already corrected it.

I hope that you understend now.

13 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

snip

29 minutes ago, Wesbie said:

snip

From what i can understand, what @Wesbie means here is a special "stance" form which occurs when you "equip" a placed board, which boosts walani's movement capabilities. Did i get it right? 

To further refine this idea, what I can suggest is simplify and instead of "equipping" the placed board (which, aside from being confusing, is prolly a hell of a lot to code), have the stance form activate when walani has no item equipped in the hand slot.

2 minutes ago, Wesbie said:

On the ground you walk with it in your hand, when you go to the water she jumps and falls face down on the board.

Ohhh. So now the Surfboard becomes a held item instead of a placeable?

That could work pretty well, I think... But that's what I think. Take it with a grain of salt! :D

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

But why suggest to limit her head and hand slots?

If you so value her, why limit her such that she becomes more or less similar to woodie?

Crippling her perk, what makes her unique, will only make players not want to play her. See pre-rework woodie and willow for reference.

If it takes crippling her to get her included in the game then I’m willing to take that sacrifice, who knows maybe after they cripple it they’ll later realize that was a horrible idea and reverse on it.

BUT She needs some Team-Based perks, And I am not sure what those should be just yet.

Like I said I like the Idea behind being able to craft Surfboards that she can give to others but because they are NOT Walani and not Expert Surfers they would have a limited amount of time before the Durability on their boards depleted and they Wipe Out. Meanwhile Walani Herself being an Expert Surfer would NOT have a Durability on her Surfboard. Just like Lucy’s Axe, Abigails Flower Or The Codex Umbra.

(Think Of it as like Walani having a Professional high grade Surfboard, While the Surfboards she crafts for Everyone else is just a plank of wood shaped like a Surfboard)

I also like the Idea Of giving her Craftable Beach Towels So that her Faster Drying Off Perk can be repurposed to benefit her entire Team.  For those of you who are confused about what a “Faster Drying Off perk” is- Everyone Who is NOT Walani had to fully fuel up a fire or stand under a tree holding an Umbrella to Dry their inventory after items start to gain Wetness, For Walani those items Dried Off Faster without needing to do any of that.

But Craftable Beach Towels would repurpose that perk as something she can benefit an entire team with.

Its not much... but we have to think of how would Walani be useful in a Team based setting.

The TL:DR She would already be more useful than Wes so who cares? :D 

Archived