Why each character is here

I’ve always assumed that each character made a deal with Maxwell to get something they desperately wanted, but I guess Winona shows that that’s not always true. 

As often as it’s mentioned, I really do think Woodie came either due to Lucy or his wereform. I think she was likely his wife, and somehow got her spirit placed in his axe, probably post death (maybe wereform caused? I personally think Woodie was a werebeaver before The Constant). I don’t remember who said it, but there was the idea that he “just wanted to hear her voice again”, and Maxwell did a Maxwell and gave him her soul in his axe. One of Woodie’s comments in DS also implies that Maxwell personally knew, and really disliked Woodie (when examining Maxwell’s statue Woodie would say “Why does he hates me?”). 

Guess we’ll find out a bit when he gets his rework! Oh, wait. . .

8 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That and the Winona trailer shows a missing poster.

Yeah, I’ve been curious about that. He must have some relation to the factory, but I’m not sure what it would be. He may have even just been a hired logger clearing space for an expansion? Or maybe he had some relation to someone in the factory? I don’t think business typically put up missing person posters in their buildings, unless it’s somehow important to someone there or the company itself. 

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Webber talks in unison. He's probably just talking about himself and not literally "US".

But he doesn't always speak in unison. When the spider and human disagree, whichever one is talking uses singular pronouns.

Sometimes they even talk about each other.

Joy of Volcanology- "I'm not a good reader, but he is!"

Empty Elixir- "I kinda wanna drink what's left, but he won't let me."

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

The painting is called "Saturn EATING his son". C O N T E X T

as someone who's a big fan of greek Mythology and even studied it for a school year, I can tell you that whoever painted that painting had 0 idea what they where doing, or knew anything about greek Mythology.

I really like the ides of Wes knowing everything there is to know regarding the lore, but being unable to tell anyone because he can't talk and nobody understands his pantomimes. Granted, I don't think that that's canon at all, and part of me expects them to dismiss Maxwell's relationship with Wes as "Well, he just doesn't like mimes. They're not as good a performer as a magician." 

Webber is somebody I'm interested in. From the Ashes showed that Constant creatures can appear in the real world, but that asks the question of: is that the case, or was the terrorbeak just an exception because the sanity monsters have a relation to Them? And we know very little regarding Them, especially their connection and power outside of the Constant. 

I personally just think that a Constant spider somehow managed to get out, alerting Maxwell, and when he went to take a peak as to how that played out, he saw that it had swallowed a young boy. Webber, who would be understandably upset, and believing that nobody would love him or like him anymore, blindly accepts a deal Maxwell proposed - that he can take Webber somewhere where he'll belong. 

I personnaly think that all the survivors have been tricked into Constant by Maxwell beacause he was looking for amusement and  someone strong enough to free him and take his place. So he chose people he met, wich have some kind of skills (a good scientist, a pyroman girl, a strong man...). Maybe some of them are just...mistakes (Wes, for exemple). And some are just here because they accidentaly came (Wormwood, Wortow and probably all the payable charaters).

Warly came in SW in a boat crash then traveled to Cornutopia then to the constant.

58 minutes ago, minespatch said:

And the Warly short. Due to the gramaphone. The gramaphone is very unearthly despite posing as a earthly object.

I think the gramaphone was the old method of contacting people, replaced by the radio in 1919. Wagstaff made both of them, and the gramphone does play a tune that sounds like Maxwell's voice in taste of home.

On 11.11.2019 at 5:18 PM, Mooagain said:

Willow: 

This is an interesting one. We saw in "From the Ashes" that a terrorbeak tried to kill her as a child, probably before Maxwell even had the book. She also has Bernie, seemingly the only thing They fear. No idea what They want with Willow, or why her toy bear is/is possessed by some powerful magic entity.

Think about fire in New York library

Walani

?

Woodlegs

?

Wilbur

?

Wheeler

?

Wilba

? (by her father)

On 11.11.2019 at 5:18 PM, Mooagain said:

Wormwood:

Moon's plan

On 11/11/2019 at 11:18 AM, Mooagain said:

Wes:

Because he secretly knows what They're planning and how to stop them.

whether this is a joke or in part of an actual theory, i still find it interesting. maxwell's quote for wes when given the opportunity to free him is "he displeased me." and you have no idea how annoying it is to not have a clue as to what it means jkhjkhghk,, because it's one of those things that could have little to no meaning, or it's a huge part of the lore and we have no idea and i dont want food i want answers

1 hour ago, TheMelonNinja said:

I really like the ides of Wes knowing everything there is to know regarding the lore, but being unable to tell anyone because he can't talk and nobody understands his pantomimes. Granted, I don't think that that's canon at all, and part of me expects them to dismiss Maxwell's relationship with Wes as "Well, he just doesn't like mimes. They're not as good a performer as a magician." 

this here is the pain i suffer through daily

5 hours ago, I_Link_I said:

I have said this before

. WES somehow beat Maxwell in a tallentshow and Maxwell is still angry.

wes' animated short, leaked:

1 hour ago, TheMelonNinja said:

Constant spider somehow managed to get out

I doubt that a spider made it into the real world. As we see in RoG when Webber is unlocked, a dead spider drops Webber's skull. This is the dead body of both halves of Webber, meaning that the boy and spider were dead until they were both resurrected by Wilson or whoever.

43 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

Walani

Woodlegs

Wilbur

Wheeler

Wilba

I didn't add them because they're not in DST and therefore we have no confirmation as to their cannon-ness

16 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I doubt that a spider made it into the real world. As we see in RoG when Webber is unlocked, a dead spider drops Webber's skull. This is the dead body of both halves of Webber, meaning that the boy and spider were dead until they were both resurrected by Wilson or whoever.

The thing is that several characters suggest that the reason they're in the Constant is because of Maxwell, and Webber is no exception. Webber's quotes, "That's the jerk who tricked us!" and "That's the guy who said he could help us." both curiously use the 'we' that Webber includes when he refers to both himself and the spider. Having both the boy and the spider present during the deal Maxwell offers Webber, which would presumably take place in the real world, would explain this perfectly. Suddenly throwing away all continuity of Webber's speech pattern for the sole purpose of having the "us" mean Webber the boy and someone else (eg. his father) for this one specific instance seems like too much of a cop out for my taste. 

As for Webber's skull, it's confirmed that Wilson is indeed the latest survivor brought into the Constant, so it isn't too much of a stretch to assume that Webber simply died with no means of resurrection until Wilson stumbled upon the skull that a random spider picked up. 

"They" had nothing to do with anyone being taken into the constant, I think. It's clear Maxwell had some hand in all of it, in a couple cases because of some faustian deal, others because he just disliked someone.

Wilson:

Brought there by Maxwell for a laugh. This was before a lot of the lore was more thought out, so I don't think theres any hints as to WHY exactly Wilson was chosen.

Willow:

On of her Vignette it reads "Willow always regarded being brought to The Constant as a new beginning. It allowed her to leave everything behind, after all."

Not sure of the connection to Max, but it seems pretty clear that she wanted to be there.

Wendy:

Supposedly related to Maxwell, all she says is she feels a "kinship" with him, a bit vague. Perhaps he gave her a chance to see Abigail again.

Wickerbottom:

She owns a library, the Codex Umbra is probably related. Wickers quote on the book is "I'm not letting THAT in MY library!". Kinda vague as to if she knew what it was before she entered the constant.

Wes:

Maxwell says "He displeased me" when describing Wes being trapped. His background shows the Eiffel Tower, Maxwell came over to America from Europe, could possibly have met him at some point.

Webber says Max tricked him, Wigfrid you're spot on with I think, Winona was TAKEN by Charlie, Warly I think you're close, Wagstaff built the portal and is there on purpose, Woodie is a mystery (That Klei doesn't feel like adding any lore to...), WX-78 I think you're about right on, and then the rest of the newer/event characters were born in the constant.

About the DLC characters:

Wortox didn't born in the Constant,he came from a different dimension were he had demon friends and a mother. Similiar to dimensions like The Elder Bog and The Forge it's acessed by the Gateway Portal,and Wortox's quote about the Portal itself says that he came out of there and it's implied that he can exit and enter as he pleases.

Wormwood is a Hamlet native(still part of the Constant,i guess?)

And Wurt probably borned in the Constant,but merms themselves originated from The Elder Bog.

Archived