Sea pirate battle us a new event?

Imagine. An event about a SEA BATTLE.

Two teams. Team cosists of 3 players.

Team gets a boat with steering wheel, anchor, masts, and CANNONS. Key goal is to destroy enemy ship!

Cannos are very long ranged like RL artillery. They shoot 3 screens away at max.

To land a nuke upon enemy you need to carefully aim it using sea telescope that allows you to see very far.

Ofcourse enemy ship is moving! And your ship is moving, how else you can evade enemy unclear cannonball?

If you are not so good at aiming... Get a cutlass supreme! Be a pirate! Engage in melee and take out enemy crew!

But watch out the sea-hounds and crocodogs. They are really really hungry...

Mea sines, roral ceefs, girate phosts!

I really don't want any PvP events in Don't Starve Together. It inadvertently tends to breed toxicity and hatred, neither of which are fun. Especially when there are achievements and whatnaught to gain.

Ship battles in particular immediately pull my mind to Sea of Thieves—and that game is littered with toxic people.

I wouldn't mind ship battles between players and NPCS—skeleton crews would be the typical but there would prolly be something more unique. Maybe like clockwork warships?

Just now, Zeklo said:

I really don't want any PvP events in Don't Starve Together. It inadvertently tends to breed toxicity and hatred, neither of which are fun. Especially when there are achievements and whatnaught to gain.

Ship battles in particular immediately pull my mind to Sea of Thieves—and that game is littered with toxic people.

I wouldn't mind ship battles between players and NPCS—skeleton crews would be the typical but there would prolly be something more unique. Maybe like clockwork warships?

Could easily be skeletons that were affected from the lunar landing, like they'll have bright blue crystals covering them.   

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It inadvertently tends to breed toxicity and hatred, neither of which are fun. Especially when there are achievements and whatnaught to gain.

To be fair, you could say this about the Gorge and Forge as well. Toxicity is unavoidable with any kind of team play.

36 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

To be fair, you could say this about the Gorge and Forge as well. Toxicity is unavoidable with any kind of team play.

Yes and no.

Can people still be toxic towards their own team's performance?

Yes.

But now there would be the additional element of the enemy being real people which brings in a significant extra layer of toxicity.

3 hours ago, Desblat said:

hecc

I love the event that you suggest, it's definitely something that i want to do with my group of friends.

Dodging rocks, shooting cannon, swing to the other boat and fight in melee,

Something that we spend time together and for funsies. I like it.

You guys are waay too over analysis on this idea, chill.

9 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I agree on that. It can easily be PvE.

It would be cool to have enemy boats in base game with skeleton pirates trying to wreack you while you are sailing to moon island.

I’ve always had the theory that anyone who sits upon the shadow throne and gets held down by the Shadow hands are in fact “cloned” 

so it would be cool to see dopplegangers of ourselves as the enemies, perhaps with glowing purple eyes and shadow like mist coming off their skin- that way we can tell THEY ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS.

i just figured.. that with a game update titled Return of Them.. the “Them” in question should be Shadow versions of Us.

6 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Yes and no.

Yes.

But now there would be the additional element of the enemy being real people which brings in a significant extra layer of toxicity.

Well technically we could just make it team chat only. You wouldn't even be able to communicate with the enemy, just your team. I seriously don't believe a suggestion like this would get people too mad over a boat pvp game with seemingly short rounds anyways.

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Yes and no.

Yes.

Forced whisper, so enemy can not call your mom names

Only while they are far away ofcourse.

If they are in melee combat - hell yes praise the toxity! It's a PvP (Pirates vs Pirates), not a female cats vs female cats! 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve always had the theory that anyone who sits upon the shadow throne and gets held down by the Shadow hands are in fact “cloned” 

so it would be cool to see dopplegangers of ourselves as the enemies, perhaps with glowing purple eyes and shadow like mist coming off their skin- that way we can tell THEY ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS.

i just figured.. that with a game update titled Return of Them.. the “Them” in question should be Shadow versions of Us.

That's rather confusing. From animated shorts perspective only 3 people were on throne: Maxwell, Wilson, Charlie.

There perphaps can be some sort of shadow doppelganger, who steals appearences of other characters.

12 hours ago, Zeklo said:

So you're saying "Competition is bad because, people can behave poorly"? Need I remind you that this negative behavior, is not new, it's inevitable. Each kind of "Community" has it's own "Toxic kind of people" PLUS This is the internet, you cannot do anything except for discourage it.

Let's have fun. Let's not let something we can't change hold us back, this is the internet after all and it be a waste to even be irritated by someones poor behavior.

Of course, this logic only really applies to this kind of topic, social cohesion in places like this forum or the discord is always nice, and preventing toxicity is something we should all be thankful for.

14 hours ago, Desblat said:

Imagine. An event about a SEA BATTLE.

Two teams. Team cosists of 3 players.

Team gets a boat with steering wheel, anchor, masts, and CANNONS. Key goal is to destroy enemy ship!

Cannos are very long ranged like RL artillery. They shoot 3 screens away at max.

To land a nuke upon enemy you need to carefully aim it using sea telescope that allows you to see very far.

Ofcourse enemy ship is moving! And your ship is moving, how else you can evade enemy unclear cannonball?

If you are not so good at aiming... Get a cutlass supreme! Be a pirate! Engage in melee and take out enemy crew!

But watch out the sea-hounds and crocodogs. They are really really hungry...

Mea sines, roral ceefs, girate phosts!

We need cannons for normal playing too!

I'd like PVE sea battles to be a threat in the waters of the main game, and not just an event.

Maybe pirate pigs trying to board and destroy your ship "FOR KING!", or kelper merms trying to keep you away from small floating merm fortresses surrounded in kelp, pirate sea monkeys trying to steal all your stuff, or whaler Mactusks trying to hunt you during winter.

And also finding random battles between them.

13 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I think that's really unfair. 

Some people really enjoy the PVP aspects of this game and I think battle ships would be amazing. 

I for one don't think there will be a 3rd event akin Forge and Gorge as per what devs stated. And if there would be one similar to those 2, many theorized it would be tied to Sanity, as the other 2 were related to Combat/HP and Hunger respectively.

A mini-game perhaps related to the new Ocean may be an interesting addition like the current Trade Inn's one. But centered around PvP? Don't think DS Together has its base-community gravitating towards that. In theory at its conception DST was geared towards Co-Op and attracted mainly said type of people (aside occasional griefers who don't stick with the game either way). Sure there are PvP enthusiasts in mentioned core-base, like you can see some forumites advocating for it (PvP re-balance) on these forums. Yet again I suspect is a minor percentage. If I remember well JoeW stated in past that, after Return of Them and re-balance of characters are fully done, dev team may consider doing something about PvP. But it all boils down to priorities and hard numbers that may justify pouring resources into such development. Personally don't care about PvP in DST and frankly wouldn't even test-play it if a well-balanced event-or-permanent in-game content would steer in such direction; because, as pointed, general toxicity - it goes up in each-and-every PvP-oriented game, breading a hefty belligerent background I find abhorrent (yes, personal taste and all that).

I did something similar to Battle Royale in DST with my viewers, last edition took place mostly on the water. Donut shaped map made an excellent, bordered area to fight. It was fun for sure, but personally I reckon that DST isn't well adapdted to pvp. PVE sea fights is what I'm looking forward to.
For interested, VOD of the Water Royale:

23 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Maybe pirate pigs trying to board and destroy your ship "FOR KING!", or kelper merms trying to keep you away from small floating merm fortresses surrounded in kelp, pirate sea monkeys trying to steal all your stuff, or whaler Mactusks trying to hunt you during winter.

And also finding random battles between them.

Hell yeah! That could be amazing!

Archived