lakhnish

Please Address Moon Glass Farming

Well-met    1,237

have you considered that they'll likely add much stronger items that require moon glass to craft, eventually?

• Like 2

lakhnish    1,307
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Well-met said:

have you considered that they'll likely add much stronger items that require moon glass to craft, eventually?

The closest scenario to such a thing would be this post relating to the Moon Glass statues, except that statues drop their materials when hammered.

Otherwise, I see no indication of this stronger item via Moon Glass. Why make this drastic change at the end of the beta without showing this supposedly stronger item in the same beta? 

Now we'd have to wait a month till the next beta for this supposed item. In the mean time, it's negatively impacting your ability to produce the currently standing Moon Tools. That does not make much sense to me.

I also cannot place my bets on this maybe eventuality either, cause I was hoping for such a thing with Malbatross' beak (it's just an oar). I asked on today's stream if they had any further plans for the beak to be more than just on oar, they said no "that's all that they had planned atm" (if it get's a use, I'll be happy, but I'm not betting on it). 

Contrast that if the fish in the shoal would be getting a use, and they said a "good chance of it." (I could not ask about Moon Glass in that stream cause no plans for beak bummed me out).

(Edit: Thanks to a reddit user that has shown me a clip towards the later half of the stream where the beak could potentially get a use as a crafting ingredient. Much appreciated! Edit end.)

Instead, I felt that they did this change for the "aesthetics" of the Spring. Bath bomb goes in, you get your Moon Pillar, and you need to wait for the Moon Phase change for it to refill. 

Edited by lakhnish
  • Like 2

lakhnish    1,307
18 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Just seeing this convinces me they did the right thing. It doesn't make sense why the crater would just instantly fill back up. It just looks broken

This does not make any sense to me. It looks broken to you, but can you please explain how it's broken mechanically?

Moon Axe chops trees faster, which is great for Toadstool, but otherwise has a rather low durability. Glass Cutter is a Dark Sword with a low durability and only really shines with 50 more durability against shadow entities.

The key point here, again, is that this was for when you ran out of all the Moon Glass that spawned on the island naturally (it's about 200 Moon Shards, similar to the previous farming rates for a long winter night, not exactly all nights).

By the mid-to-late game, people have Dark Swords, which have more utility than Glass Cutters. All other tree farming methods are available, and you're more than capable of doing Toadstool (and even Misery) legit with Moon Axes well before needing to restock them, not that the Moon Axes were needed when you did the fight with a group of people.

How is this ability to farm Moon Glass thus broken? It just means that I'll use the initial glass stock and never really farm the Glass unless something that I have already mentioned occurs (which I've already explained my reasoning against).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

thomas4845    501

i think that the change is semi good as long as new items are added or new buffs to the moonglass items comes because rn it's kinda a pain  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cosheeta    244
Posted (edited)

Spreading gameplay as thinly as possible across time.

Question is, what's the intent with glass tools. Is it supposed to be used for single one-time situations like birchnut treeguards and toadstool? Or is it an upgrade from normal tools? As an upgrade, it's not worth the time effort or anything currently.

I'd personally wish it was an permanent kind of upgrade. But, but, but, it's both too easy to get, right off the bat, just boat there. And as mentioned it's too grindy and brittle to sustain any worthwhile long term needs.

See, it's both too easy and not worth it at the same time. Grinding isn't difficulty. It tedium. It's microtransaction kind of design. As an permanent upgrade that is. For what it is- useful for only getting a little upper hand on bosses, I guess it serves it's purpose. I don't know how much it actually helps, maybe not even enough. Maybe it does. I find this dull either way.

Edited by Cosheeta
  • Like 4

Butt Pillow    184

Feel like it should have been MILDLY nerfed or changed, but nothing too drastic. This feels a bit heavy handed sort of change, I'd rather the days between farming be lowered to say... 10? or something? Allowing you to get a steady supply long as you keep it in your schedule. 

Terra M Welch    2,248

Hmm is it bad that I actually like the glass cutters? They're basically a cutlass supreme against shadows, I like them for nightmare fuel farming and for use against shadow pieces/fuelweaver. Heck I take a couple with me when I do ruins just for the nightmare creatures so I can save dark swords for the other enemies.

My current solo world has 8 springs, but apparently they can be as low as 5? Thats rough...
What if maybe players could somehow unlock the ability to dig new pools on the island? It'd have to be done on the island, off it wouldn't work.

• Like 3

jantonio    2,631

I trust the devs, RoT is not done yet so anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gghhrr    167

I think the nerf is fine

since you don't really need glass tools

yea, they are so goooood but they are not irreplaceable

IMO, they are just purely decorative statue in mid late game

gghhrr    167
3 hours ago, Averagewx78main said:

Thats the exact reason why it's bad, if no one needs glass tools, why are they in the game?

They're good but they're not worth going through that much trouble to farm

there are a lots more items no one need too

they are still in-game for few years and yet no change until now

I don't really see pretty much complaints about them

there are just a few items can be made with moon glass only now

besides, moon glass isn't the only product provided from lunar land and ocean

I would rather wait more new contents related to moon glass, and complain about this