Wilson Rework - The Scientist

Hi all,
Here is a design that attempts to achieve the following goals from Wilson's identity :

1. Wilson is a simple character, with no downsides

2. Wilson is a scientist, likes experimenting

3. Wilson is intended as the face of don't starve, and he should be flavorful

4. Wilson is intended to be easy to get into for new players without being confusing

5. Wilson has a lot of knowledge and sanity to boot, similar to wicker

6. Wilson is a forgiving character to play

7. Wilson has to be a team player with some ability of revives (as seen in the forge)

New ability : Portable Chemistry Set

This is a new portable station (that Wilson can start with) which can be dropped like Maxwell book that unlocks some formulas that can be made with ingredients at the cost of sanity on use. The potions spoil in 3 days, to prevent stockpiling. Other characters can drink or use them, but cannot make them. The potions have mild support effects.

1. Heartpulse Formula

2x spider glands + 2 nitre + 30 health

This formula is like a telltale heart,with bonus points reviving at 100 health instead of 50, and without booster shot needed. The downside is that it doesn't restore sanity on use, but drains 20 sanity to the person using it on a ghost

Reason: as per his forge design, and the fact that new players die a lot, this would help for revives

2. Luminus Formula

2x light bulb + 2x nitre

Upon consumption, makes Wilson glow, with the duration of 3x a lesser glow berry. It consumes 20 sanity on use.

reason: new players usually avoid caves, and this would help them out

3. Sanity+

4x flowers + 2 nitre

Restores 30 sanity.

reason: simple formula for new players that wish to spend extra nitre resources to not have to deal with nightmare creatures

4. Trinitretolleus (crafts 3)

3x nitre + 3x ashes

Throwable gunpowder (like balloons)

It does 59.5 damage on hit, sets targets on fire after 3 hits in short succession, and no fire otherwise. Works in an aoe. These spoil in 10 days, instead of 3, and do not cost sanity on use.

Reason: for players that have issues kiting, this can help as a ranged attack with a cost of grinding. Numbers can be tweaked.

5. Brightbark Formula

1x logs + 1x nitre

A fuel item that lasts as long as glommer's goop. Creates efficiency at the cost of nitre. No sanity cost on use (because it is not drank, but fuel)

Let me know what you think of this approach and if you have other ideas of interesting formulas that fit Wilson's identities.

Bonus: I would also add a "Use" option to Maxwell's book and the portable chemistry set, which simply drops it at your feet, to make new players understand how it is used

I really like the special telltale heart and the throwable gunpowder! I think it would be fun for wilson to indeed have some wild chemistry related craftables. when the hallowed nights potions came out i was kinda miffed it wasnt a new perk for wilson! 

in my eyes wilson is more of a self proclaimed scientist so chaotic and crazy experiments fit his character more in my opinion than actual cool headed smarty science which is more Wickerbottom's character. This why i also dont think he should get Wicker's science station perk. He might be someone that performs experiments etc but that doesnt mean hes knowledgable in contrary to a librarian who has a vast 'databank' of information if u will of all kinds of stuff. 

An idea for an additional potion could maybe be a polymorph potion? that turns enemies into chickens or frogs. this would limit their special attacks for a while so no ice aoe for deerclops etc

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

1. Heartpulse Formula

2x spider glands + 2 nitre + 30 health

This formula is like a telltale heart,with bonus points reviving at 100 health instead of 50, and without booster shot needed. The downside is that it doesn't restore sanity on use, but drains 20 sanity to the person using it on a ghost

Reason: as per his forge design, and the fact that new players die a lot, this would help for revives

Pretty good ideas overall but this.

You just took away a reason to raise a random player, why would I pay 20 sanity to help a random with something I didn't even make and honestly I don't even see any reason it would have any bad effect with that much material cost considering that the goal here is to help new player not having to deal with booster shot.

3 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

4. Trinitretolleus (crafts 3)

3x nitre + 3x ashes

Throwable gunpowder (like balloons)

It does 59.5 damage on hit, sets targets on fire after 3 hits in short succession, and no fire otherwise. Works in an aoe. These spoil in 10 days, instead of 3, and do not cost sanity on use.

Reason: for players that have issues kiting, this can help as a ranged attack with a cost of grinding. Numbers can be tweaked.

I do not agree with this because I think that players who have trouble kiting should engage in combat head-on to practice their potential, rather than use weapons that negate kiting entirely (will never improve at kiting using them). 

1 hour ago, DST Noob said:

You just took away a reason to raise a random player, why would I pay 20 sanity to help a random with something I didn't even make and honestly I don't even see any reason it would have any bad effect with that much material cost considering that the goal here is to help new player not having to deal with booster shot.

New player would probably want to do it because:

A: They are probably trying to play with a friend that is also new

B: Or are being asked to by the person that got them into the game.

C: Less hp cost.

If they have no friends and are joining a random world alone, then most likely they won't even know that the telltale heart gives you extra sanity anyways, and will probably just use their perk (If it lets them know that they can revive players with it). Especially if it advertises it on the character select screen.

Also on the cost of the item, it's 10 health less than the booster shot + telltale combo, doesn't use rot, doesn't use stingers, but uses an extra spider gland instead, also if you look at the numbers that spider gland is basically worth 50 hp in this situation bc if you use a telltale you will only spawn with 50 as apposed to 100. 20 Sanity cost really isn't that much anyways though; it's just 4 flowers. You do miss out on the positive sanity gain, but most of the time, whenever I see newer players, they don't take advantage of this anyways.

I don't think it makes much sense for Wilson to have a rework based around doing actual science, since a big part of his character is that he's really really bad at science, the entire reason he's even in the constant is because he accepted advice from a talking radio due to being really really bad at science. When examining an evergreen, Wickerbottom explains what kind of tree it is, while Wilson describes it as being "all piney."

Personally, I feel like a Wilson rework should involve him doing the kind of pseudoscience we've seen him do previously, which usually involves stuff like live animals, meat, and his own facial hair.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:53 AM, Poebus said:

I would be satisfied if Wilson had science machine perk rather than wicker having it since wickerbottom is smart, but far from being related to science

Wilson should never have that perk as long as he is the starter character. For new players, the few items that are craftable by default help guide them towards what they should do. The science machine greatly increases the number of available recipes, but having them by default would be more confusing to new players.

I know that the idea of all these recipes using nitre coincides with the science aspect of Wilson, BUT having a Wilson on my team constantly spending Nitre on limited effects would piss me off to no end.

In that respect, the only suggestion I really like here is the throwable gunpowder. Edit: to expand a bit, though, I do think that if it were implemented, it should cost more rotten eggs or charcoal instead of Nitre, as Nitre is probably the more annoying thing to collect in the recipe, costing 3 essentially double-to-triples the cost of the recipe.

Nitre isn't something that I consider an expendable resource, and it's one of those things that seem like you can use it ad ridiculum in the early game when you really shouldn't.

14 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

Wilson should have only one power: THE BEARD
Let him do ropes with a beard!
Or torches with a beard!
Or sleeping bags whit beard!
Or beard armor!
Or beard coats!
Or beard rugs!
This is Wilson: a brilliant mind ... and a magnificent beard!

I think that this suggestion makes Wilson also scale better, with the fact in mind that beard hair can also be obtained from alternative avenues in the late game, such as cave primates/bunnies. It also gives him a little more syngery with other characters like Willow and Maxwell, who can force insanity for an advantage.

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Personally, I feel like a Wilson rework should involve him doing the kind of pseudoscience we've seen him do previously, which usually involves stuff like live animals, meat, and his own facial hair.

Every recipe should be done with a little explosion, leaving Wilson with a burned face, messy hair, for half day or a day.

3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't think it makes much sense for Wilson to have a rework based around doing actual science, since a big part of his character is that he's really really bad at science, the entire reason he's even in the constant is because he accepted advice from a talking radio due to being really really bad at science. When examining an evergreen, Wickerbottom explains what kind of tree it is, while Wilson describes it as being "all piney."

Did he accept more than a simple advice ? Or only the knowledge for the portal ? Or much more, then he followed advices for the portal ?

If Maxwell acted on his brain, in some ways, Wilson could have some great weirds ideas.

3 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Wilson should never have that perk as long as he is the starter character. For new players, the few items that are craftable by default help guide them towards what they should do. The science machine greatly increases the number of available recipes, but having them by default would be more confusing to new players.

i dont want wilson to remain as "default character" or "for newcomer"

wilson should be something more than that after rework

and perk is fairly easy to understand since his motif is scientist

not everyone starts with wilson

Archived