Wilson Rework - The Scientist

I do like the idea of him having some more pseudoscience craftables. Potions would be a lot of fun, and fitting too, though I don’t really like the idea of throwable gunpowder. 

To be honest, based on his struggle with chemistry in his Forbidden Knowledge video, it would be kind of fun if he could make potions, but they had a chance of backfiring horribly, probably doing the opposite of their intended effect. Maybe not exactly fitting for a refresh, considering all the refreshes so far have mostly buffed the characters, but that would be fun to me XD For example, maybe you make a “Frog Repulser” potion, but when you drink it it reacts badly and you end up a frog magnet for the day. I’d imagine the chance of it going wrong would have to be fairly low (maybe 30%?), but it would make for some hilarious shenanigans. If this were to happen, I’d give him a portable chemistry kit, which might have 4 slots to make potions in, similar to a crockpot. They’d probably take a bit of time to brew as well  

I agree with some of the others too, more recipes involving animals, beard hair, meat, etc. would make sense. 

On 9/20/2019 at 7:03 PM, S19TealPenguin said:

Wilson should never have that perk as long as he is the starter character. For new players, the few items that are craftable by default help guide them towards what they should do. The science machine greatly increases the number of available recipes, but having them by default would be more confusing to new players.

^^ I agree. Having them as prototypes also helps newcomers manage their sanity, keeps it up in the early stages of the game as they make basic crafting recipes. You take away a lot of sanity options for new players by knowing all the blueprints on start. Wicker has the higher sanity to combat this. whereas I think newer players might struggle to keep sanity high those first few days while they learn game mechanics.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:12 PM, loopuleasa said:

Hi all,
Here is a design that attempts to achieve the following goals from Wilson's identity :

1. Wilson is a simple character, with no downsides

2. Wilson is a scientist, likes experimenting

3. Wilson is intended as the face of don't starve, and he should be flavorful

4. Wilson is intended to be easy to get into for new players without being confusing

5. Wilson has a lot of knowledge and sanity to boot, similar to wicker

6. Wilson is a forgiving character to play

7. Wilson has to be a team player with some ability of revives (as seen in the forge)

New ability : Portable Chemistry Set

This is a new portable station (that Wilson can start with) which can be dropped like Maxwell book that unlocks some formulas that can be made with ingredients at the cost of sanity on use. The potions spoil in 3 days, to prevent stockpiling. Other characters can drink or use them, but cannot make them. The potions have mild support effects.

1. Heartpulse Formula

2x spider glands + 2 nitre + 30 health

This formula is like a telltale heart,with bonus points reviving at 100 health instead of 50, and without booster shot needed. The downside is that it doesn't restore sanity on use, but drains 20 sanity to the person using it on a ghost

Reason: as per his forge design, and the fact that new players die a lot, this would help for revives

2. Luminus Formula

2x light bulb + 2x nitre

Upon consumption, makes Wilson glow, with the duration of 3x a lesser glow berry. It consumes 20 sanity on use.

reason: new players usually avoid caves, and this would help them out

3. Sanity+

4x flowers + 2 nitre

Restores 30 sanity.

reason: simple formula for new players that wish to spend extra nitre resources to not have to deal with nightmare creatures

4. Trinitretolleus (crafts 3)

3x nitre + 3x ashes

Throwable gunpowder (like balloons)

It does 59.5 damage on hit, sets targets on fire after 3 hits in short succession, and no fire otherwise. Works in an aoe. These spoil in 10 days, instead of 3, and do not cost sanity on use.

Reason: for players that have issues kiting, this can help as a ranged attack with a cost of grinding. Numbers can be tweaked.

5. Brightbark Formula

1x logs + 1x nitre

A fuel item that lasts as long as glommer's goop. Creates efficiency at the cost of nitre. No sanity cost on use (because it is not drank, but fuel)

Let me know what you think of this approach and if you have other ideas of interesting formulas that fit Wilson's identities.

Bonus: I would also add a "Use" option to Maxwell's book and the portable chemistry set, which simply drops it at your feet, to make new players understand how it is used

Hmm, I for one do not agree with number 4. AOE + 59.9 damage!! + 3 hit succession sets a victim/ set victims on fire + cheap costs = PvP bane. The rest are fine (probably). Honestly, I only wanted Wilson rework to be like this, his rework doesn't involve any crafting, perks or anything that spoils his role as a 'balance character' so-to-speak. I suggest that his rework are more into helping new players or providing useful information. Example, his ability in examining things, seriously though, examining is almost useless except for lorewise in this game. When he examine, he gives us the information about time, durability, health, uses of things, ect. This greatly enhance the knowledge for the beginners so that they can improve their gameplays. Klei should suggest the new players to play as Wilson first in Don't Starve Together in someway or another. Hopefully ya'll can correct my mistakes in my idea or share you thoughts.

On 19.9.2019 at 12:51 PM, Ohan said:

An idea for an additional potion could maybe be a polymorph potion? that turns enemies into chickens or frogs. this would limit their special attacks for a while so no ice aoe for deerclops etc

I love this idea. Except there should be a small chance for the potion to go like really wrong. It mostly just turns mobs into chickens and frogs but sometimes the merm you wanted to take care of will transform into Bearger or something. I too think that part of Wilson's essence is being a mad scientist. Stuff he does shouldn't be too useful or rational, there has to be something whimsical and crazy about it, while still being newb friendly. That's why the bad stuff percentage should be really low, but if used correctly the potion could give the team some otherwise much rarer loot.

On 23.9.2019 at 10:24 AM, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I do like the idea of him having some more pseudoscience craftables. Potions would be a lot of fun, and fitting too, though I don’t really like the idea of throwable gunpowder. 

To be honest, based on his struggle with chemistry in his Forbidden Knowledge video, it would be kind of fun if he could make potions, but they had a chance of backfiring horribly, probably doing the opposite of their intended effect. Maybe not exactly fitting for a refresh, considering all the refreshes so far have mostly buffed the characters, but that would be fun to me XD For example, maybe you make a “Frog Repulser” potion, but when you drink it it reacts badly and you end up a frog magnet for the day. I’d imagine the chance of it going wrong would have to be fairly low (maybe 30%?), but it would make for some hilarious shenanigans. If this were to happen, I’d give him a portable chemistry kit, which might have 4 slots to make potions in, similar to a crockpot. They’d probably take a bit of time to brew as well  

I agree with some of the others too, more recipes involving animals, beard hair, meat, etc. would make sense. 

And yeah, more stuff like this please!

On 23/9/2019 at 4:24 AM, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

This sounds perfect.

Maybe even all his potions should describe the entire opposite of what they actually do. And in some cases the failed potion could be more useful than the original one, with a completely unrelated effect. 

His quotes about the potions could be sort of explaining what they do in a doubtful, yet proud, manner, and everyone else would describe the potions as horrible or stupid things they really don't want to use.

The one reason I love to play as Wilson is not only because he's my favorite character with his funny and curious know it all personality, but because he can take care of himself without my teammates needing any extra cost on me since wilson has no downsides! I can take care of myself and make sure  everyone else needs are good and they don't have to worry about me at all. Most other people talking about reworking wilson usually get way too side tracked completely hurting Wilson's main goal of being the all around character that's easy for new players to understand(most people talking about shadow wilson or making things with his beard). But this stays on topic and you actually understand how and why beginner players and advanced players play as wilson so I thank you alot for this! Also, another person (I forgot their name) had the idea of giving wilson the ability to make blueprints to give to other players and himself. Now that I think about if they ever rework wilson he should be work like a character that makes you want to experiment with things and want to try out new stuff. Though obviously if they do this It should, just like the beard be optional so that way players that don't want to work with it don't have to. But I disagree with it being portable since characters like warly and maxwell with portable objects mainly rely on their belonging and are basically screwed if they lose/misplace it giving wilson a downside I do hope they possibly give wilson something that keeps Wilson's beard at a permanent level, and it will be optional after you use it you can change it back to normal or not. (Sometimes I don't really like growing Wilson's beard and it will truly make him a Basic character to get the truest experience of the dont statve world!)

On 12/5/2019 at 8:28 PM, Superwolfkid said:

The one reason I love to play as Wilson is not only because he's my favorite character with his funny and curious know it all personality, but because he can take care of himself without my teammates needing any extra cost on me since wilson has no downsides! I can take care of myself and make sure  everyone else needs are good and they don't have to worry about me at all. Most other people talking about reworking wilson usually get way too side tracked completely hurting Wilson's main goal of being the all around character that's easy for new players to understand(most people talking about shadow wilson or making things with his beard). But this stays on topic and you actually understand how and why beginner players and advanced players play as wilson so I thank you alot for this! Also, another person (I forgot their name) had the idea of giving wilson the ability to make blueprints to give to other players and himself. Now that I think about if they ever rework wilson he should be work like a character that makes you want to experiment with things and want to try out new stuff. Though obviously if they do this It should, just like the beard be optional so that way players that don't want to work with it don't have to. But I disagree with it being portable since characters like warly and maxwell with portable objects mainly rely on their belonging and are basically screwed if they lose/misplace it giving wilson a downside I do hope they possibly give wilson something that keeps Wilson's beard at a permanent level, and it will be optional after you use it you can change it back to normal or not. (Sometimes I don't really like growing Wilson's beard and it will truly make him a Basic character to get the truest experience of the dont statve world!)

I understand you Superwolfkid, but don't starve together don't work that way, unlike DST, in DS you need to level up to unlock more characters and you start up with only Wilson.This gives the new players no other choice but to choose Wilson first. Unfortunately, it does not works the same in DST. DST is all about co-op (or PvP), other characters has their own abilities(and downsides) except Wilson(except his beard). This make Wilson less likely to be use because he lacks that co-op ability, instead he is just 'an average dude'. I am not implying Wilson are useless, I am just saying he isn't that much of a utility for his teammate. I hope you understand me.

5 hours ago, TheTruth said:

I understand you Superwolfkid, but don't starve together don't work that way, unlike DST, in DS you need to level up to unlock more characters and you start up with only Wilson.This gives the new players no other choice but to choose Wilson first. Unfortunately, it does not works the same in DST. DST is all about co-op (or PvP), other characters has their own abilities(and downsides) except Wilson(except his beard). This make Wilson less likely to be use because he lacks that co-op ability, instead he is just 'an average dude'. I am not implying Wilson are useless, I am just saying he isn't that much of a utility for his teammate. I hope you understand me.

No, your fine I understand,  your actually kind of right about that. The only thing wilson can actually do to support his team is basically just an early source of beard hair to make effigies. I guess I can agree he needs a buff to make him more cooperative play, and giving him a chance to be used more by other players.

I only want his beard hair to grow a pair of eyeballs and turn into a Nightmare version of the Rabbit when he is low on Sanity.

But outside of that maybe he can grab Woodie In Were-Goose form by the neck and pour strange chemicals down his goose throat? (It’s a Joke..)

58AD7F3E-16EB-451B-9ABB-8FD488C16395.jpeg

On 12/10/2019 at 6:29 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I only want his beard hair to grow a pair of eyeballs and turn into a Nightmare version of the Rabbit when he is low on Sanity.

But outside of that maybe he can grab Woodie In Were-Goose form by the neck and pour strange chemicals down his goose throat? (It’s a Joke..)

58AD7F3E-16EB-451B-9ABB-8FD488C16395.jpeg

I always thought Wilson would be more suitable into science-y thing and not into these mightmare stuffs, but fair enough.

4 hours ago, TheTruth said:

I always thought Wilson would be more suitable into science-y thing and not into these mightmare stuffs, but fair enough.

Wilson would see the beard hair as Nightmare Rabbits, until he raised his sanity to acceptable levels and then they would become Regular Rabbits.

its a unique Idea- because no other character can provide there friends with food simply by growing out a beard, shaving it off and going insane.

Only Wilson would see them as Nightmare Rabbits, for everyone who is NOT Insane it would appear as though Wilson has unlocked the secret Wizardry powers of Merlin, and has Indeed summoned Rabbits out of Thin Air!

Maxwell could even have a funny quote for it something like- “Hmph, My Magic Show Talents are still Superior.”

i got the Idea from the fact that “murdering” A Nightmare Rabbit Results In giving you Beard Hair anyway.. so what would happen if we just went insane while staring at shaved off beard hairs? 

Archived